• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp, I give up on Thief, maybe when I build my new rig I can brute force it but right now, these constant freezes make it unplayable(its not even fps drops, the game just starts reading from the HDD like mad all of a sudden and the game just chugs, like i started running another program all of a sudden). Its an oldie but you would think my gtx580 would piss all over it but aparently not, even tho I just played Wolf New Order maxed out with 0 issues for example. Oh well, to be continued one day

Mono

What I like most about CSD is that somebody always comes in and orders a beer at 9am. It makes me feel less alone in the world.

This is an amazing feature!
Put beer as the daily special and you'll get a rush of early-morning drinkers, lol

I also like the people that order burgers with bread, double bacon, and cheese.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Or the user goes to a fake Steam page, signs in, the fake page does a login attempt with real Steam, user gets SteamGuard prompt on fake page, checks email, gets real SteamGuard code, puts it in fake page, ta-da.
Has that tactic been used in the real world yet? Sounds scary.

Probably best to just only login to sites you've typed the address for yourself.

I saw a raffle on here for FNV Ultimate Edition. I bought the regular edition, was hoping to maybe grab the DLC for it through this ultimate edition, but the Steam store page tells me I already have the ultimate edition. What gives?

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
vb6DAiV.gif

Total: $504

I.. oh god.

But a huge and very real thank you to everyone who has got us here today!

We've passed the 6-month threshold and that means that I will officially be streaming the Serious Sam games for your... enjoyment? I guess. I don't know what motivates you people.

I already have the Sam games and the Open Broadcaster Software installed. Also, in keeping with the spirit of this thing, I want to open up and utilize Serious Sam's multiplayer co-op to invite as many people to play along as possible. We'll get a special mumble room where you guys can be a part of the stream and everything.

Details forthcoming.

Well at least you didn't set it up where you would have to play Borderlands.

Tellaerin

Yep. Bethesda can't write main storylines worth a damn.
Also see: Oblivion, Skyrim

That's like, your opinion, man.
(It's also wrong.)

You know I love ya, man, but NV's overall plot didn't strike me as being particularly better than FO3's. I felt the plot thread running through the DLCs was a lot more interesting than the main quest line of the core game, tbh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Has that tactic been used in the real world yet? Sounds scary.

Well, SteamGuard emails got modified maybe 6-9 months ago to include the IP address of the login attempt, the geo-ip information for that IP + a big link to report you weren't the one who tried to log in before you get to the part where they give you the SteamGuard code... so you tell me whether or not people have done it yet. :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Well at least you didn't set it up where you would have to play Borderlands.
We'll see how this event goes and possibly set up a charity drive for a Borderlands play through.
Well, SteamGuard emails got modified maybe 6-9 months ago to include the IP address of the login attempt, the geo-ip information for that IP + a big link to report you weren't the one who tried to log in before you get to the part where they give you the SteamGuard code... so you tell me whether or not people have done it yet. :p
Ah. I didn't put two and two together with that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorry for the dumb question. I went to the game page and I'm still unsure what gameplay is involved. So what exactly is the gameplay to visual novels?

You read a story and periodically make branching choices; some have light puzzle elements to the point that they'd maybe border on being an adventure game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the dumb question. I went to the game page and I'm still unsure what gameplay is involved. So what exactly is the gameplay to visual novels?

For Sakura Spirit? There's one choice involved that may or may not be broken, or it might just be the same ending each time. It's more of a kinetic novel dressed up to look like a normal visual novel than anything, from what I've seen.

A kinetic novel is like a visual novel in style, but it's more of a liner plot with one ending, or an ending with subtle alterations so subtle that it doesn't really matter in the first place. There are no choices available that really alter the narrative, so it's not interactive. It's a sub genre of VN's, which tend to have multiple paths and endings.

Myshkin

fodda

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SpaceChem -- MB-E33B23AC9F477435 - Taken by eek5. 1 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-93A7445A4F7615CF - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-72198D81738FCF92 - Taken by celsowmbr. 1 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-8E9C85061A081732 - Taken by taco543. 2 entrants total.

t1405810758z1.png

Turfster

You know I love ya, man, but NV's overall plot didn't strike me as being particularly better than FO3's. I felt the plot thread running through the DLCs was a lot more interesting than the main quest line of the core game, tbh.

Well, okay.
Now compare with the FO3 DLC ;)

Sky Chief

The pre-Fallout 3 games feel really dated, so I would start with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas and maybe go back to the older ones later!

Okay cool, so generally what do people think is better, Fallout 3 or New Vegas? Also, just the base games or with all the DLC?

Turfster

Reading the story and making choices.
Except Sakura Spirit has only one choice that doesn't matter, and the writing is worse than first grader level.
Avoid.

Also, lemme ask the question again:
Has anyone bought Nuuvem's Of Orcs and Men?
Is it a special BR Portuguese version?
Is it even a Steam version?

hitmon

You read a story and periodically make branching choices; some have light puzzle elements to the point that they'd maybe border on being an adventure game.

For Sakura Spirit? There's one choice involved that may or may not be broken, or it might just be the same ending each time. It's more of a kinetic novel dressed up to look like a normal visual novel than anything, from what I've seen.

A kinetic novel is like a visual novel in style, but it's more of a liner plot with one ending, or an ending with subtle alterations so subtle that it doesn't really matter in the first place. There are no choices available that really alter the narrative, so it's not interactive. It's a sub genre of VN's, which tend to have multiple paths and endings.

Thanks for the explanations.

Lain

For that one, you read.
For other visual novels, it depends. Reading is always the big thing, but some also include various types of gameplay, be it solving puzzles or strategy rpg mechanics or fighting or something else.

there's about 3 hours left for my Wolfenstein download so here's another raffle!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Butt Simulator 2014 -- MB-5BFEA2358D54EDB7 - Taken by Dingotech

t1405821018z1.png

Reminder I also have a Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition raffle too!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Replaying through The Witcher 1 and damn. Forgot how rough around the edges this game was. So good... but god its so janky haha

Kinda crazy to look at the footage/gameplay of three and then back at the original. Like they're completely different series/devs.

Mono

Replaying through The Witcher 1 and damn. Forgot how rough around the edges this game was. So good... but god its so janky haha

Kinda crazy to look at the footage/gameplay of three and then back at the original. Like they're completely different series/devs.

The controls and combat are janky as hell, but man do I love everything else about it!
Dat trading card seduction game, lol
The voice acting surprisingly holds up.

hitmon

For that one, you read.
For other visual novels, it depends. Reading is always the big thing, but some also include various types of gameplay, be it solving puzzles or strategy rpg mechanics or fighting or something else.

Are there any good ones you can recommend?

Mono

Are there any good ones you can recommend?

There are tons and tons of different types of visual novel games, but in the same vein as Sakura Spirit there's Katawa Shoujo, if you're just talking PC! The main difference being that Katawa Shoujo is actually good. It looks like a bad fetish game, but it's not at all.

It's free, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom