• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, I've been a lurker for a while, finally managed to upgrade to member! I was relatively active over at SteamGifts, but that place has pretty much gone to trash recently, Reddit is meh, so I'm glad I now have a better forum to take part in. A couple quick questions...

1. Could I get an invite to the Steam group? My Steam profile.

2. Is it possible to change my email to my Gmail? I have a work email I registered with, but I never use it, and I have a Gmail pretty much dedicated to gaming stuff, so if I could switch it over to my Gmail, that'd be sweet. If not, that's cool too.

Turfster

You beat me to it. I also was going to use lamentations in my response. Crom is pleased.
RdpB7Zp.gif
Indeed.

Wow, first turfster then chubs. Then zkylon and now you legazy. Does all of gaf consist of game devs?
And I am just sitting here gaming browsing gaf.

Who would care about a butt simul.. it's actually pretty tight.

To be fair, chubigans (and many others) were ahead of me, and have actually managed to get something published they make money with.
Related: never ever release something on android only.

Kiru

Hey everybody, I've been a lurker for a while, finally managed to upgrade to member! I was relatively active over at SteamGifts, but that place has pretty much gone to trash recently, Reddit is meh, so I'm glad I now have a better forum to take part in.
Oh hey, welcome, I know you from the steamgifts forum. :p

KarmaCow

Seems like a good time to ask this with the sale on New Vegas so what are the go to mods for NV now? It's been a while since I've played the game and would like something different from the vanilla experience.

This what I'm currently planning on getting.
Nexus Mod Manager
Fallout Character Overhaul
EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements
ELECTRO-CITY
Nevada Skies
NMC Texture Pack

New Vegas Stutter Remover
4GB Fallout New Vegas
New Vegas Enhanced Content
Fake Fullscreen Mode Windowed

Unified HUD
Primary Needs HUD
Immersive HUD
Adjustable HUD
DARNified UI

Weapon Mod Expanded
Weapon Mod Menu
Project Nevada
Project Nevada Patches
J.E. Sawyer's Mod

Anything good that I'm missing here? I intentionally left out World of Pain because reasons.

edit: thanks Easton Dark for the suggestions.

30 minutes until fallout.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- MB-D3076C3D1EA53391 - Taken by City 17. 39 entrants total.

t1405816216z1.png

Thanks for this! I wouldn't have expected strong writing; that's great!

Another random thought, but I thought the initial skills you set in NV have a larger impact on gameplay than the initial skills in 3. For example, in NV, strength not only affects carry weight and melee damage, but also the your effectiveness with large weapons. Charisma not only affects your barter and speech, but the health and damage of your companions. I thought this was better than 3, where skills only affected a very small area of your character. This allowed you to make an OP character that was really good at one thing but not really terrible at anything else.

Mono

Hey everybody, I've been a lurker for a while, finally managed to upgrade to member! I was relatively active over at SteamGifts, but that place has pretty much gone to trash recently, Reddit is meh, so I'm glad I now have a better forum to take part in. A couple quick questions...

2. Is it possible to change my email to my Gmail? I have a work email I registered with, but I never use it, and I have a Gmail pretty much dedicated to gaming stuff, so if I could switch it over to my Gmail, that'd be sweet. If not, that's cool too.

Reddit's a lot worse than meh, IMO. :X
Welcome to GAF!

I don't think there's a way to use an email that isn't premium. There might be a setting in your work email to automatically foreward NeoGAF emails to your Gmail, though.

Jawmuncher

Welcome to SteamGAF.
The best place on neogaf.

The neogaf email stays what you registered with. But you won't have any issues with that. Since it stays pretty seperate for everything else.

Seems like a good time to ask this with the sale on New Vegas so what are the go to mods for NV now? It's been a while since I've played the game and would like something different from the vanilla experience.

Ignore the Fallout Mod Manager, just use the Nexus mod manager. Works great for all the nexus titles.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?

I HIGHLY recommend NVEC (I even contributed to it in a small way :D)

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44204/?

If you get that, anti-crash comes with it.

Other than that, just be sure to follow the install instructions for the hud mods exactly or you'll have a bad time.

And yes to MTUI. Either that or DARNified, one of the two. The original UI is awful.

For something to spice it up more, however, check out the monster mods.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42136/?

dogtown does great work. There are issues with it because of the troubles with nexus policies that changed how the mod works, but it's still mostly awesome.

PaulLFC

Does being in the beta for a game on Steam lock you out from purchasing it until it releases?

I got a Defense Grid 2 beta key from Alienware Arena the other day, been enjoying it and went to look at the store page to see how much it was to pre-order. It has a price, but Steam says I already own it, presumably because I have the beta.

I only have options to gift it at the moment. Guess I have to wait until it releases for the beta to be removed from my account so I can buy it?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
New Vegas is great, it reminds me that I need to get back to it. I still haven't beat it, but with mods it really freakin' shines. Definitely recommended.

maneil99

Does being in the beta for a game on Steam lock you out from purchasing it until it releases?

I got a Defense Grid 2 beta key from Alienware Arena the other day, been enjoying it and went to look at the store page to see how much it was to pre-order. It has a price, but Steam says I already own it, presumably because I have the beta.

I only have options to gift it at the moment. Guess I have to wait until it releases for the beta to be removed from my account so I can buy it?
Buy it for inventory then redeem

Sajjaja

Finishing San Andreas is frustrating.

You guys may not remember this, but the last mission requires you to capture almost half of all gang territories in the game. Capturing territory is a very monotonous task, made more difficult by the increased police presence during this part of the story.

Gang territories is why I stopped playing that game. Turf wars occurred too often and I just got frustrated trying to win/defend turf.

I don't think there's a way to use an email that isn't premium. There might be a setting in your work email to automatically foreward NeoGAF emails to your Gmail, though.
The neogaf email stays what you registered with. But you won't have any issues with that. Since it stays pretty seperate for everything else.

Ok, I figured as much. No biggy, I just like to keep my email stuff fairly organized, but whatever.

Oh hey, welcome, I know you from the steamgifts forum. :p

Sorry, can't say I recognize you... But thanks for the welcome guys!

You guys may not remember this, but the last mission requires you to capture almost half of all gang territories in the game. Capturing territory is a very monotonous task, made more difficult by the increased police presence during this part of the story.

Oh, I remember. It's why I never finished the game.
I had captured all the territory before you go to the second area... and when I got back from the third area, they trolled me with "you lost all territory, go capture at least 50% of it back".

And I just said "fuck this, I'm done."

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-C09436E01E277D4A - Taken by yGray. 21 entrants total.
The perfect snowy indie imprisonment adventure for this hot summer.

t1405816036z1.png

Mono

Ace Attorney is a visual novel what.

They seem very Adventure Game for me, or is it because they are from Japan?

There's definitely a gray area between visual novels and adventure games! I consider the AA series more visual novel-like because it's a lot more text than adventuring, but they're kind of both.

To be fair, chubigans (and many others) were ahead of me, and have actually managed to get something published they make money with.
Related: never ever release something on android only.
Damn, turfy. I really wish for you to hit it big time like Rami Ismail or Jonathan Blow or Edmund Mcmillen. Despite being kinda grumpy, you're still too nice of a guy to be a Phil Fish though.
That hand though. Try to look at it positively. You see, having learned by now to lean towards single-handed usage, maybe you've broadened your horizon regarding game design using a single hand only. And didn't you play through Sakura Samurai, too. You should have some uni-handed experience by now...

Damn, all those memories coming back. Playing GTA3 for the first time was a gaming revelation. Played it dozens of hours. And then came Vice City. Just unbelievable immense fun. Played it even more than the third. One of my favorite games of all times.
But San Andreas rubbed me the wrong way from the very start. They added so much unnecessary stuff to the game like bodybuilding, getting fat, haircuts. But the worst was the gangster theme which was so unappealing to me that I just stopped playing after a couple missions. I had no fun with that game. It was so shocking to me that I just couldn't enjoy the sequel to one of my most beloved games of all time. Never imagined that this qould happen.
But it's nice to read that many had fun with it. If they had only had half the joy I did with Vice City then I am a happy panda.

EDIT:
Got into a car accident on the way to work.
Dude, I hope all's fine with you! Forget about material goods. Health is most important.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what game or anime your talking about, but a word you used has perked my interest.
tumblr_n57xvkvknP1s2no31o1_500.gif

Historical fiction about the Roman emperor Claudius. Since this is GAF, he's most likely talking about the TV series based on the novel. But you never know, GAF has a reading subgroup if I recall correctly.

Card Boy

Banned
Which should I play first, Gemini Rue or Siberia?

Gemini Rue, it has a fantastic Blade Runner x Snatcher vibe going for it. The story and voice acting is great and puzzles are logical. It's also a shorter game so you can knock it out faster than Siberia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom