• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitmon

There are tons and tons of different types of visual novel games, but in the same vein as Sakura Spirit there's Katawa Shoujo, if you're just talking PC! The main difference being that Katawa Shoujo is actually good. It looks like a bad fetish game, but it's not at all.

It's free, too!

Oh, I just meant a good visual novel in general.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The controls and combat are janky as hell, but man do I love everything else about it!
Dat trading card seduction game, lol
The voice acting surprisingly holds up.

Oh definitely. The lore/world/atmosphere are absolutely fantastic. But still. Dat jank.

CDProjekt definitely grew as a dev since then though. Thats for sure.

Caerith

Are there any good ones you can recommend?

Perhaps The 39 Steps. Like Sakura Spirit, all you do is read and occasionally click to advance the plot, and there are no significant choices to be made. Unlike Sakura Spirit, it has a story worth telling and was proofread at least once before seeing print, and it was made by someone whose art portfolio includes such accomplishments as "having seen a human body."

More VN-like, there's Long Live the Queen, which has raising sim elements and takes choice and consequence deathly serious.

Um... if you have a DS, 999, and if you have a Vita, Dangan Ronpa (with Japanese voices). Both are VNs in the traditional sense, with some logic/puzzle/gameplay to keep it from just being a reading simulator. Dangan Ronpa is pretty straight-forward, and 999 has multiple endings and Funyarinpa.

zkylon

zkylewd
Cool, thanks guys!
if you want my honest opinion i think fallout 3 is probably the best game beth has made since morrowind but i also think it's pretty garbage but i'm really into the fallout series as they're my favorite games ever and i don't really like the elder scrolls series

new vegas has its issues but it does capture a lot of what makes fallout great so if you're interested in getting into the series then you should do that one

Lain

Are there any good ones you can recommend?

My knowledge is limited (and the best place to ask more detailed suggestions for good VNs would be here), so I'll go for the safest suggestion of Steins;Gate or, if handhelds are an option for you, grabbing the 999, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and, to a lesser extent, the Corpse Party games.
I liked Kara no Shoujo (dark murder mystery) too, but this contains adult content as well so heh.

Grief.exe

Finishing San Andreas is frustrating.

You guys may not remember this, but the last mission requires you to capture almost half of all gang territories in the game. Capturing territory is a very monotonous task, made more difficult by the increased police presence during this part of the story.

City 17

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fallout Classic Collection -- MB-E3F517A9C4E49035 - Taken by Madrugador. 17 entrants total.
Fallout 3: GOTY Edition -- MB-DF69DC6733BE4B86 - Taken by City 17. 28 entrants total.
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- MB-14C7399D0B8E3D96 - Taken by ßthePenguin. 29 entrants total.

t1405808295z1.png
I can't believe I won, thank you m.... ehm vault boy :)

Tellaerin

Did they change the combat or something?

Maybe I'll pull a Sub Zero and enter and win my own giveaway! :p
B-but I'm scared of super mutants!

There are some changes and refinements to combat in NV (you can customize weapons with weapons mods, there are special melee techiques you can learn, and the reduction to incoming damage you got while in VATS in FO3 has been toned way down in NV. Oh, and weapons now have iron sights. I hate ADS and don't understand the obession with it, but I know some people are into that, so.)

I felt NV's overall tone was really different from FO3's. FO3 is a really moody, atmospheric game. I spent a lot of my time wandering through the ruins of the old world, reading computer logs and exploring abandoned installations, uncovering scraps of the past. It was a melancholy, desolate world, and exploring it felt really rewarding to me. There's not nearly as much of that in NV - a lot of the focus there is on the here-and-now, dealing with the politics of the world that's sprung up in the aftermath of the apocalypse. (The NV DLC's recapture a little of that magic, which I think is part of the reason I enjoyed them more than the main quest line.) Personally, I also found the obligatory Obsidian moral ambiguity a little labored in spots (there were a couple of points where I felt like player choices had negative repercussions for no better reason than to meet a quota :p ), but that's really a matter of personal taste.

Overall, NV's a good game (much moreso with the DLC) with some strong writing, particularly when it comes to the PC's companions (companions play a far bigger part- the game feels like it was balanced around you running around with a partner rather than going solo, and there's more involved interaction with them). I still feel like FO3 edges it out as an experience, but it really comes down to what you enjoy in your RPGs. Honestly, I'd like to see a true collaboration between Obsidian and Bethesda one of these days, with Bethesda handling environments and world design and Obsidian on characters and dialogue. That'd be the best of both worlds for me.

You guys may not remember this, but the last mission requires you to capture almost half of all gang territories in the game. Capturing territory is a very monotonous task, made more difficult by the increased police presence during this part of the story.

Being a big dick G is a little monotonous sometimes.

Mono

Oh, I just meant a good visual novel in general.

I know mostly about mystery ones!

Dangan Ronpa is a PSP visual novel about kids trapped in a school murdering each other and having to figure out which one of them did it so that they don't all get executed. It never came out in English, but a fan group made an excellent English patch for it a while ago! Despite the dark plot and murder-fest going on, this game is intentionally WAY over the top in a way that's almost meta to anime, and it makes it funny. This game knows it can't take itself seriously and doesn't try to.

I can't reccomend the Zero Escape series enough, both 999 and its sequel Virtue's Last Reward. 999 is only for the DS, but VLR is for Vita and 3DS. Really, really great games. Describing the plot would take too long and might spoil stuff, but it's very dark and very good. Basically, it's about trying to escape a deadly game someone set up and trapped some people in. Each of these games have a ton of endings that aren't disconnected from the plot in a way that makes having the different endings make sense. Explaining that is a bit spoiler-y, but it's really cool.

The Ace Attorney games are a lot of fun! Really funny, ridiculous and over the top. There's gameplay segments where you investigate crime scenes and pick up clues by talking to people, and then there's courtroom scenes where you have to present evidence and piece the case together. There's five games in the main series and two spin-off games starring the prosecutor. Don't expect to take these ones seriously! They're really funny.

Maybe don't trust me on this one because I'm a girl, but the Tokimeki Memorial games are really fun! Unlike the other visual novels I listed, this one is more of a life simulator. In most Tokimeki Memorial-like life sim games (which is what most people think of when they hear "visual novel"), there are five or so guys you can hook up with, and the goal of the game is to pick the guy you want to end up with and focus on the life skills that you think would get you with that person. So, if you want to end up with the macho gym-rat, do nothing but exercise; but in doing so, the good-grades-guy is going to hate you, probably. That sounds really messed up when you type it, lol. There's a million of these games with girls in the dating pool instead of guys. Katawa Shoujo is a lot like this, but with girls and an acutal plot, but it's not a life sim.

Jawmuncher

For what its worth Ace Attorney is what got me started on VNs. Then 999 pushed the love forward. Katawa Shoujo was the first regular VN that I absolutely adored.

Mono

There are some changes and refinements to combat in NV (you can customize weapons with weapons mods, there are special melee techiques you can learn, and the reduction to incoming damage you got while in VATS in FO3 has been toned way down in NV. Oh, and weapons now have iron sights. I hate ADS and don't understand the obession with it, but I know some people are into that, so.)

I felt NV's overall tone was really different from FO3's. FO3 is a really moody, atmospheric game. I spent a lot of my time wandering through the ruins of the old world, reading computer logs and exploring abandoned installations, uncovering scraps of the past. It was a melancholy, desolate world, and exploring it felt really rewarding to me. There's not nearly as much of that in NV - a lot of the focus there is on the here-and-now, dealing with the politics of the world that's sprung up in the aftermath of the apocalypse. (The NV DLC's recapture a little of that magic, which I think is part of the reason I enjoyed them more than the main quest line.) Personally, I also found the obligatory Obsidian moral ambiguity a little labored in spots (there were a couple of points where I felt like player choices had negative repercussions for no better reason than to meet a quota :p ), but that's really a matter of personal taste.

Overall, NV's a good game (much moreso with the DLC) with some strong writing, particularly when it comes to the PC's companions (companions play a far bigger part- the game feels like it was balanced around you running around with a partner rather than gong solo, and there's more involved interaction with them). I still feel like FO3 edges it out as an experience, but it really comes down to what you enjoy in your RPGs. Honestly, I'd like to see a true collaboration between Obsidian and Bethesda one of these days, with Bethesda handling environments and world design and Obsidian on characters and dialogue. That'd be the best of both worlds for me.

Thanks for this! I wouldn't have expected strong writing; that's great!

hitmon

Dagan Ronpa is a PSP visual novel about kids trapped in a school murdering each other and having to figure out which one of them did it so that they don't all get executed. It never came out in English, but a fan group made an excellent English patch for it a while ago! Despite the dark plot and murder-fest going on, this game is intentionally WAY over the top in a way that's almost meta to anime, and it makes it funny. This game knows it can't take itself seriously and doesn't try to.

I can't reccomend the Zero Escape series enough, both 999 and its sequel Virtue's Last Reward. 999 is only for the DS, but VLR is for Vita and 3DS. Really, really great games. Describing the plot would take too long and might spoil stuff, but it's very dark and very good. Basically, it's about trying to escape a deadly game someone set up and trapped some people in. Each of these games have a ton of endings that aren't disconnected from the plot in a way that makes having the different endings make sense. Explaining that is a bit spoiler-y, but it's really cool.

The Ace Attorney games are a lot of fun! Really funny, ridiculous and over the top. There's gameplay segments where you investigate crime scenes and pick up clues by talking to people, and then there's courtroom scenes where you have to present evidence and piece the case together. There's five games in the main series and two spin-off games starring the prosecutor. Don't expect to take these ones seriously! They're really funny.

Maybe don't trust me on this one because I'm a girl, but the Tokimeki Memorial games are really fun! Unlike the other visual novels I listed, this one is more of a life simulator. In most Tokimeki Memorial-like life sim games (which is what most people think of when they hear "visual novel"), there are five or so guys you can hook up with, and the goal of the game is to pick the guy you want to end up with and focus on the life skills that you think would get you with that person. So, if you want to end up with the macho gym-rat, do nothing but exercise; but in doing so, the good-grades-guy is going to hate you, probably. That sounds really messed up when you type it, lol. There's a million of these games with girls in the dating pool instead of guys. Katawa Shoujo is a lot like this, but with girls and an acutal plot, but it's not a life sim.

I have played some Ace Attorney games and didn't realize they were considered Visual Novels. I think Zero Escape was one of the Vita plus games at one time, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thanks for the recommendations.

All I can remember is:

"All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

Dagan Ronpa is a PSP visual novel about kids trapped in a school murdering each other and having to figure out which one of them did it so that they don't all get executed. It never came out in English, but a fan group made an excellent English patch for it a while ago! Despite the dark plot and murder-fest going on, this game is intentionally WAY over the top in a way that's almost meta to anime, and it makes it funny. This game knows it can't take itself seriously and doesn't try to.

DanganRonpa was actually released in English for the PSVita this year in February and the sequel is releasing this September.

Skab

Yeah, I never finished it. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed it so much early on.

Mono

Halfway!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Mono:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fallout New Vegas -- MB-22E31BA6BE13F9E5 - Taken by devo1989

t1405818796z1.png

devo1989

Hey! You guys remember this bundle?

ModBot said:
Instructions for devo1989:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (devo1989, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-C3DF46013FA7C205 - Taken by bacon-bits
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 (Origin) -- MB-68FDEEE49F16A332 - Taken by fuzzy123
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-9E86127B409DE0FC
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-85AFB86C235204FB - Taken by Demon Lizardman
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-BDC1995984EB3DA4 - Taken by Pickles Spill

Grief.exe

For what its worth Ace Attorney is what got me started on VNs. Then 999 pushed the love forward. Katawa Shoujo was the first regular VN that I absolutely adored.

I'm actually going 999 now to Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS this fall.

All I can remember is:

"All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

That mission was actually very easy for me despite it being known as one of the more frustrating in the whole game.

Yeah, I never finished it. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed it so much early on.

I think I just unlocked the last area I need. Just saved and, hopefully, I can finish this.

Great game overall, just shoddy design on the last mission.

Turfster

This is the main problem with the 3D GTA games.
At first the game seems to offer you tantalising glimpses of a limitless world where you can do whatever you want, but then you enter the repetitive and badly written missions, with shit checkpoints and arbitrarily invulnerable enemies and the whole thing goes very sour.

Hugstable

Banned

999 is what started my love for Visual Novels. I had no clue what I was in for getting into 999, and I walked out with probably one of the most mind blowing experiences ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom