• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Still, this shit is unacceptable. Not to mention, as you said, that the store page promised that co-op would be coming, and it remained there even after the devs admitted they had no plans to do it (it was removed eventually). What's funny is that when they finally admitted this, they mentioned they had already decided it a few months before, even though they were still swearing co-op would be added during that time.
Oh yeah, that's right... It was something like they knew in October that they couldn't make the coop code work, but still said in February that it was "definitely still coming". Just terrible people all around.

JerboaJerk?

Well, better than AkuMifune anyway.
Yo, we're aku brothers and I hate my name too. Kinda crazy that I picked it like 10 years ago.

If an easy Ys comes out it means the franchise is dead.

Here's how to get into Ys games.

1. Start the game
2. Look at difficult selection screen
3. Choose normal because you're not a casual
4. Die xx times at the first boss
5. Resist the game's attempts at persuading you to lower the difficulty
6. Die xx times more
7. Give up and lower difficulty
8. Die xx times more

My experience was more like...

1. Start the game.
2. Look at the achievement list.
3. See there's an achievement for beating it on Nightmare. Sure, let's get as many as I can on one playthrough since there's no NG+.
4. Wander out of the town to try bump combat and find that i'm getting destroyed left and right.
5. Bite the bullet and grind a few levels.
6. Feel pretty good about moving through the game until I hit the first boss.
7. Finally beat the first boss. Move on to the next area.
8. Meet the bat demon from hell.
9. Break 7 controllers in rage, bite lip and try again determined to beat it since I didn't want to start over.
10. Fight final boss for countless hours because he's a giant pricklord.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yo, we're aku brothers and I hate my name too. Kinda crazy that I picked it like 10 years ago.

Mine was a one-off joke of translating EvilEastwood (my aol name when I was 10) into japanese.

The problem is that anything else I've ever thought of also seems dumb.

OT, I finally have some cash, the steam sale is done and there's not much I want. Pre-ordering just doesn't scratch that itch.

Picked up an Ys (Oath) at least.

Vuze

That's up to Wadjet Eye. About two weeks ago Valve introduced a sortas flag that, like the name suggests, changes how a game is ordered in user libraries. For example, the AssCreed games are now:

Ubi is the last publisher I expect to care for that sort of change on Steam haha, but that's very nice for people who own all the games. Now to Far Cry please.

93ad14bed4.png

Caerith

So, Sakura Spirit part 4
I am already through with the game. The other route aside, there isn't more content. About 1 hour of reading with one single choice. You really should just look at my pictures and be done with that, this game isn't worth it.

Buy some some actually good Visual Novels like Dysfunctional Systems, Cinders or Recettear.
To be fair, Dysfunctional Systems also only has one choice. It's just that choice is a lengthy logical argument with different outcomes based not only one whether you win the argument but also how you argued. Which is to say, it's still good.

Thanks for the warning on Sakura Spirit. I'll probably still pick it up to support VNs being on Steam.

Woo, got two foils to drop while playing LLTQ! It must be my lucky day. :)
Nice! You should craft it.

Chariot

wait wtf is that it?
That's it. I will cover the other route as well, given that it would just be another ten minutes. There wasn't even a real story, just things that happened.
To be fair, Dysfunctional Systems also only has one choice. It's just that choice is a lengthy logical argument with different outcomes based not only one whether you win the argument but also how you argued. Which is to say, it's still good.

Thanks for the warning on Sakura Spirit. I'll probably still pick it up to support VNs being on Steam.
Yes, you're right. I didn't want to judge a VN at the number of options. Even a straight VN with no option would be fine as long as the story is good and engaging. But despite being a harem game Sakura Spirit does not even have an proper route for everyone.

fernandes

That new sorting is pretty cool. I was wondering how they did it. Having to come up with fake names and putting numbers where they dont exist is a bit weird but it works.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ah. Odd that it went undocumented for the most part.
Yeah, not sure why though.
ES shows the historically lowest correctly btw.

You're very generous. Tried my luck again.

And wow, tempted by Ether One in humble. Better wait till next sale.
No problem, if those get cleaned up I'll probably do another interesting one in a while :p

*quote wall*
*brofist*
:D

Was just off out and then I saw...

rDzYBcQ.png

Sure.
I always found strange that BroHos and Revelaitons didn't have the "II" in their names, and that Liberation got the "III" removed from the HD port.

Fart Horn?
Holy shit XD

That's up to Wadjet Eye. About two weeks ago Valve introduced a sortas flag that, like the name suggests, changes how a game is ordered in user libraries. For example, the AssCreed games are now:
Aha, so Ubilolz added the proper numbering.
Let's hope that Capcpom follows suit with their horrible naming pattern for the RE games.

iosefe

playing Long Live the Queen, i encounter
The Duke of Sedna
. i say
yes to the betrothal
. i just realized how all this could go wrong.

i'm so naive

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it also had some statement at the end that was like "This could only be the beginning".

I don't think I buy another game by this developer.

But what if the game was bundled?

Hopefully that happens soon. I get the feeling that it won't though.

Plus Dysfunctional System doesn't just focus on life and hometown :p

*brofist*
:D

CBmNufP.gif

Accoun

Random: I saw a guy in a "Cyberpunk 2077 team" t-shirt when standing in line in an electronics store here in Warsaw. I assume he's a dev. :p
The t-shirt had a small game logo on the back with a big stylised "TEAM" underneath and a CDP RED logo on the left sleeve. Haven't seen the front, though.
He forgot his card after paying. ;-)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sorry about Sakura Spirit guys! I thought Steam blocked this kinda stuff so I just bought and raffled off still but looking at Sekai Project's Facebook they came to an agreement with Steam about getting 18+ material on there.
The next giveaway will be something nicer and will most likely be the enhanced PC version of Corpse Party.

Just got through Cognition Episode 1.
The graphics: Alternate between a comic book style, right down to the font and text boxes in the subtitles, and an isometric view. The characters themselves seem reminiscent of The Walking Dead game from Telltale, slightly, albeit a bit more realistic than that. I liked it.

Characterization and story: Best part of the game. It's set in Boston and the accents are mostly there. Characters are mostly stock but it works. Erica Reed is a neat character - strong, sensitive, not afraid to use her power for good but stressed that it creates an unfair advantage over her boyfriend. The characters and story are, as they say, "wicked good." If there's one complaint I'd have to make with it, I'd say there are too many references to previous adventure games. Some subtle, some bashing you over the head and saying "Get it? It's Quest for Glory!"

The gameplay: a bit complex. Kudos to them for trying a bunch of different things in the interface, but with that comes the problem where you know what you want to do but you're not sure which command gets you to do that. There's a "Cognition" mode that you can go into to see residues of past events, but it carries over from one scene to the next. At one point I had it on, activated a cutscene, it took me to the next area, and I'm wondering why I can't access my inventory or save the game. Turns out this cognition mode was still on and I couldn't even tell. It would have been better if they'd made that more obvious. Also I ran into more than one technical glitch: dialogue where I had my back turned to someone and still talked to them, walking in mid-air, asking me if I want to skip a cutscene after it's over, that sort of thing. Luckily, nothing game-breaking, but enough that you notice it in the amount of gameplay, and speaking of which.

The length: Five hours. Ample for one episode. Given there are only four episodes instead of five, that's downright healthy.

The puzzles: Oftentimes there's more than one way to solve a puzzle. That's always a nice touch. What's not a nice touch is creating achievements for using the different methods - false replayability. The puzzles themselves aren't tough: a lot of them are figuring out when you can do something and when you can't. "Oh, so when I clicked this button the other three times and you said I didn't need this, NOW I need this."

The music: I'd say it's its weak point. They created a band - lead singer is the same person who voiced the main character - and it just fell flat. They tried to incorporate it into the story and it just seems kinda lame. There's some bigshot vice-president of a company and I'm to believe that he and his girlfriend chose some forgettable indie rock as "their song?" Anyway, I can look over that, I guess.

The verdict: It doesn't stand up to later Sierra point-and-clicks like Space Quest IV or King's Quest VI - okay in a couple of ways it reminds me of Police Quest III - but it could definitely go toe-to-toe with anything Telltale does, and I'd put the story on par with the Blackwell series (only this has better graphics!) So if those appeal to you, this will.

Chariot

But what if the game was bundled?
If you want other games in the bundle the game is basically free, can't go wrong with that I guess.

Random: I saw a guy in a "Cyberpunk 2077 team" t-shirt when standing in line in an electronics store here in Warsaw. I assume he's a dev. :p
The t-shirt had a small game logo on the back with a big stylised "TEAM" underneath and a CDP RED logo on the left sleeve. Haven't seen the front, though.
He forgot his card after paying. ;-)
image.php
And now guess who stole it

Sutekh disapproves of new Lara Croft game

sutekh.jpg
Good taste. That's a really good serial to get folks interested in Hinchcliffe-era Who.

I could immediately tell this was a Konjak joint from the art, anything he makes is immediately gets my attention.
I'm guessing Noitu Love 2's going on my wishlist, huh.

OSX support for Warband? Sugoi. I'll make sure to get it and the DLC now that it's cheap as shit.

Hugstable

Banned
Sorry about Sakura Spirit guys! I thought Steam blocked this kinda stuff so I just bought and raffled off still but looking at Sekai Project's Facebook they came to an agreement with Steam about getting 18+ material on there.
The next giveaway will be something nicer and will most likely be the enhanced PC version of Corpse Party.

Oh! Corpse Party on PC is atleast a guaranteed great visual novel. (well alot of game parts also). Was actually surprised to hear thats it was coming to steam. I hope it does good and opens the floodgates for pther visual novels.

Lomax

playing Long Live the Queen, i encounter
The Duke of Sedna
. i say
yes to the betrothal
. i just realized how all this could go wrong.

i'm so naive

Finally survived all the way to coronation for the first time today.
Not that I died a lot, I tended to end up getting forced to live in my room and give up power a few times.
Going back and finding all the deaths and little things will be fun. Such a great game for a quick playthrough.

Autofokus

Just got through Cognition Episode 1.
The graphics: Alternate between a comic book style, right down to the font and text boxes in the subtitles, and an isometric view. The characters themselves seem reminiscent of The Walking Dead game from Telltale, slightly, albeit a bit more realistic than that. I liked it.

Characterization and story: Best part of the game. It's set in Boston and the accents are mostly there. Characters are mostly stock but it works. Erica Reed is a neat character - strong, sensitive, not afraid to use her power for good but stressed that it creates an unfair advantage over her boyfriend. The characters and story are, as they say, "wicked good." If there's one complaint I'd have to make with it, I'd say there are too many references to previous adventure games. Some subtle, some bashing you over the head and saying "Get it? It's Quest for Glory!"

The gameplay: a bit complex. Kudos to them for trying a bunch of different things in the interface, but with that comes the problem where you know what you want to do but you're not sure which command gets you to do that. There's a "Cognition" mode that you can go into to see residues of past events, but it carries over from one scene to the next. At one point I had it on, activated a cutscene, it took me to the next area, and I'm wondering why I can't access my inventory or save the game. Turns out this cognition mode was still on and I couldn't even tell. It would have been better if they'd made that more obvious. Also I ran into more than one technical glitch: dialogue where I had my back turned to someone and still talked to them, walking in mid-air, asking me if I want to skip a cutscene after it's over, that sort of thing. Luckily, nothing game-breaking, but enough that you notice it in the amount of gameplay, and speaking of which.

The length: Five hours. Ample for one episode. Given there are only four episodes instead of five, that's downright healthy.

The puzzles: Oftentimes there's more than one way to solve a puzzle. That's always a nice touch. What's not a nice touch is creating achievements for using the different methods - false replayability. The puzzles themselves aren't tough: a lot of them are figuring out when you can do something and when you can't. "Oh, so when I clicked this button the other three times and you said I didn't need this, NOW I need this."

The music: I'd say it's its weak point. They created a band - lead singer is the same person who voiced the main character - and it just fell flat. They tried to incorporate it into the story and it just seems kinda lame. There's some bigshot vice-president of a company and I'm to believe that he and his girlfriend chose some forgettable indie rock as "their song?" Anyway, I can look over that, I guess.

The verdict: It doesn't stand up to later Sierra point-and-clicks like Space Quest IV or King's Quest VI - okay in a couple of ways it reminds me of Police Quest III - but it could definitely go toe-to-toe with anything Telltale does, and I'd put the story on par with the Blackwell series (only this has better graphics!) So if those appeal to you, this will.

That's my man. Couldn't have said it better.

Chariot

Speaking of Visual Novels.
What can we expect for the future?
Higurashi was greenlighted, that is save, but else?
Steins;Gate was release in west, yes?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh! Corpse Party on PC is atleast a guaranteed great visual novel. (well alot of game parts also). Was actually surprised to hear thats it was coming to steam. I hope it does good and opens the floodgates for pther visual novels.

It seems Sekai Project has some more not lewd things coming along as well since it seems like they're picking up Fault Milestone One's prequel as well:

Steins;Gate was released here (I have the limited edition!) but no Steam release because of boneheaded Japanese companies. The ones on the horizon are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Corpse Party Blood Covered, World End Economica -Complete- (Episode One is on Steam atm.), and Fault Milestone one to my knowledge. Narcissu is up for free if you want to give two short ones a go as well.

Bored a bit at work and looked at my purchases from steam. Apparently, the first non-valve game(s) i bought on steam was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC.

Still haven't played a Stalker game, hah.

We'll have plenty of good VNs coming to Steam in the coming years, don't worry about 'em. I want to see old-timer Japanese PC games, like Chitty Chitty Train or anything from Artdink.

Jawmuncher

Ever17 is in the database would love for that to come out. Though personally I want Katawa Shoujo for a free VN game was all kinda of great to me absolutely loved it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
We'll have plenty of good VNs coming to Steam in the coming years, don't worry about 'em. I want to see old-timer Japanese PC games, like Chitty Chitty Train or anything from Artdink.

That might be harder but I'd like the companies going after the VNs to bring over some other smaller works as well!
There is some games that are pretty fun that come out of the doujin/indie community that most people would never see but Play-ism seems to have that ball rolling.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ubi is the last publisher I expect to care for that sort of change on Steam haha, but that's very nice for people who own all the games. Now to Far Cry please.

93ad14bed4.png
And Serious Sam, and Hitman, and Doom, and Star Wars, and Monkey Island, and many other franchises I'm probably forgetting too.

Miguel81

So...Hydrophobia Prophecy. I won the key here and played through it because the water gameplay was enticing and it's very short. This is the most janky game I've played in a along time(never played Bad Rats). The controls and camera are straight out of an early Dreamcast game. The water looks great, so it lives up to it's name in that regard, but everything else is wholly mediocre. The challenge room was the most fun I had with this, and got me to 11/13 achivements. Let's not talk about the story and the voice acting -- main actress is terrible.

I just can't believe that the devs waited until the end of the last act to provide the ability to manipulate water. That's mind-blowing in a game like this.

Jawmuncher

Bored a bit at work and looked at my purchases from steam. Apparently, the first non-valve game(s) i bought on steam was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC.

Still haven't played a Stalker game, hah.

My first purchase was Team Fortress 2 when It was on sale for 2.49 in 2009. Then a little bit of purchases in 2010 & 2011. Holiday Sale 2012 was when I started actually buying stuff

Ozium

So...Hydrophobia Prophecy. I won the key here and played through it because the water gameplay was enticing and it's very short. This is the most janky game I've played in a along time(never played Bad Rats). The controls and camera are straight out of an early Dreamcast game. The water looks great, so it lives up to it's name in that regard, but everything else is wholly mediocre. The challenge room was the most fun I had with this, and got me to 11/13 achivements. Let's not talk about the story and the voice acting -- main actress is terrible.

I just can't believe that the devs waited until the end of the last act to provide the ability to manipulate water. That's mind-blowing in a game like this.

SAVE THE PLANET, KILL YOURSELF lol

got this free on ps+ played like an hour then asked myself what I was doing... never touched it again

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

S;G was released in the west, but still no word of a Steam release. fault milestone one looks really good, really hyped for that to come out.

Now, for the Greenlight parade.

Kendo Crush, looks like it'll be filled with delicious spaghetti.

Exogenesis ~Perils of Rebirth~, sounds sort of promising, but I'm skeptical.

Date Warp, looks sort of decent I guess?

Leviathan: The Last day of the Decade, this looks pretty rad actually, though it looks like more of a point and click instead of a VN, but the dev describes as a VN so there's that.

Shan Gui, Chinese VN, looking forward to seeing what happens with it.

There's DeviantArt Simulator: The Game, but I refuse to speak of this title.

Huniepop, needs no introduction other than this.

Just sent a friend request to FreshVeggie on Steam. Our usernames pair so well that I couldn't imagine not being steam buddies, lol. :D

Time to install stacking and see what it is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom