• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beelzebubs

If you're still running Windows on an HDD I'd say an SSD upgrade should be top priority regardless. It makes a world of difference even on modest systems.

I think upgrading my 1gb 6670 would make a larger impact than an SSD at the moment. Why oh why did my 680 blow up :(

StAidan

If you want to gift games only to "worthy", you can always do it by picking people yourself and gifting them directly, you know.

Agreed. All this infighting over who deserves to enter a giveaway just seems to have gotten worse with each new rule that Modbot gets. (I hope he doesn't get any more, at least not ones that relate to the "worthiness" of an entrant.)

Honestly, I liked the idea of the new rules at first, and they certainly have noble goals. But lately I've started to think all the older rules were the only ones we really needed, stuff like no lurkers, no winners daily/weekly/monthly. Once you start getting into givers only, megagivers, pay it forward, etc., you've reached a point where an automated system can no longer distinguish who really belongs in what group and such. Gaming the system is simple, and as a result, perfectly innocent giveaways suddenly generate suspicion and accusations against people that are really just trying to get rid of some extra games (a longtime practice in this thread!).

Nothing I give away will ever use these newer rules. Anyone who fits the "spirit" of MEGAGIVER status can easily buy their own games anyway, so why lock away your giveaways from other gaffers who love games but might not be able to afford some of these great ones so easily?

I don't know, I just wish all this silliness would stop. Let's just give away some games, people, and let God sort it out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep, SSDs are godly. I recently purchased a new PC with an SSD and the boot up times for Windows are super short. Sometimes I restart the PC just for fun, to watch it boot up in a matter of seconds.

Whenever I want to make an avatar or gif I connect to my PC via Remote Desktop and load up Fireworks there because despite the extra step it's faster than loading up the thing on my crummy laptop.

Grief.exe

My computer has gotten god awfully slow when opening programs, clicking on a game in my steam list (takes forever to happen) among other things. This a sign my hdd is failing? Perhaps I need to click on one of those MakeMyPCFast banners.

You probably just need a reformat. Viruses, registry errors, and more can build up issues on your system over time.

Anustart

Skyrim is going to look like a complete joke after he plays Dark Souls.

Just to note, I've been playing Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim and Dark Souls already, was just asking which I should play this morning. Though a more pressing concern has arisen.

I was running a malware bytes scan to be pre-emptive when...the scan stopped shortly after starting, and now I can't seem to find mb on my system...

Grief.exe

Just to note, I've been playing Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim and Dark Souls already, was just asking which I should play this morning. Though a more pressing concern has arisen.

I was running a malware bytes scan to be pre-emptive when...the scan stopped shortly after starting, and now I can't seem to find mb on my system...

My previous point, though a shot in the dark, has now become very relevant.

You are past time for a reformat.

Nabs

Yeaaaaaahhhh....

What I did with playfire and my motives for doing it is none of your fucking business and completely unrelated to all of this, so stop using it as a cheap excuse to troll.

You can't imagine how much money I've spent to offer games to this community and all I get in return is being called a scammer and a scumbag from people like you

Many users from here are too greedy to even spend $1 and buy a cheap bundle to give away. Why should these people be able to bypass giveaway restrictions? completely destroys the point of all rules. If they feel so inclined to give away games that everyone can get for free then they should be decent enough to tag them as garbage dumps and not take any credit for them

I don't think it's unrelated at all. It demonstrates a certain level of hypocrisy and you being defensive about it sure isn't helping matters.

The way i see it, the rules are the rules. And, as i said earlier, more power to you to blacklist whomever you like. But they are working within the rules as they currently are and you can't disagree without sounding a bit argumentative.

PAYITFORWARD

This will restrict the giveaway to people who have given away a game since the last time they have won a game (minimum one giveaway). You can combine this with MEGAGIVERSONLY if you'd like.

If someone does pick up a person's spare copy of Sims 2/Shuggy/whatever, then the giver gave and the winner won. If people don't want the riff raff that they're giving out to qualify for this rule then they will not be flagged as a giver and, thus, they'll be eliminated from the drawing.

The pay it forward rule worked as intended, no?

I'm sure that people who set the rules are aware that some people might do this. If they're not comfortable with these rules then the way i see it:

A) they should not give the game away in that fashion. Do one of those ms paint giveaways or a make me laugh giveaway. Modbot isn't the only way to go about things.
B) petition for rule changes. Stump seems to be very open minded about this stuff and the system isn't perfect.
C) blacklist users they feel aren't acting in the spirit of the giveaway (not sure you can do this once you've posted a giveaway but you can for a future giveaway.)
D) don't give something away if they're not comfortable with the multitude of options available to them.

But to sit there with a straight face and call out one group of people for acting within the rules while you yourself have demonstrated a lack of caring for them in the past? C'mon, sub, i'm just calling them like i see them.

_hekk05

Banned

That ... seems like a bad spot to be in.

Its time for a reformat. Back up your game saves first though

JaseC

Back up what you need (use GSM for game saves/config files), format and reinstall Windows, and immediately install an anti-virus solution that offers real-time protection. As I said the other day, I use MSE myself and I can't say I've ever had encountered any issues outside of the occasional false-positive

Yep, SSDs are godly. I recently purchased a new PC with an SSD and the boot up times for Windows are super short. Sometimes I restart the PC just for fun, to watch it boot up in a matter of seconds.

SSDs are so nice. Internet browser and everything is so snappy, the computer just runs so much smoother with one.

yuraya

Quick GAF, someone's life is on the line! Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, or Dark Souls? Which should I play right now??

Depends on what you are in the mood for.

If you want a tense game with a dark fantasy theme and lots of WTF moments that you will never forget than go for Dark Souls.

If you want to explore around Hong Kong in a GTA type way with fun combat than go for Sleeping dogs.

If you want a massive open world sandbox game with megaton amount of mods than go for Skyrim.

nerdook

Neo Member
Modbot is the Sword of Damocles around here. It provideth great joy but inspires great jealousy. Also it's the primary distribution system of Bad Rats. I do love my Modbot :p

I'm working on porting the game to Vita/PS4/Xbox One too, so when those are up I SHOULD be coming back here to give away keys (if any: I'll have to find out how many they are going to provide!)

Anustart

Back up what you need, format and reinstall Windows, and immediately install an anti-virus solution that offers real-time protection. As I said the other day, I use MSE myself and I can't say I've ever had encountered any issues outside of the occasional false-positive.

Dunno what's happened. It's still scanning, the window just closed, had to re-open it though the quick menu in bottom right. Though when I search my pc, it's not bringing back MB as on here. Though it did just update.

Edit: I am using MSE by the way, along with Malware bytes. Is this enough?

Edit 2: Or is Windows Defender different from MSE? In the past when I've googled, they seemed to be the same.

Beelzebubs

I'm working on porting the game to Vita/PS4/Xbox One too, so when those are up I SHOULD be coming back here to give away keys (if any: I'll have to find out how many they are going to provide!)

I'm assuming you're using Unity, how is the new version of it? I'm still using the old 4.3 because of compatibility issues and one day, I'll get a PS4 dev kit!

Strazyplus

t1406217600z1.png

JaseC

Dunno what's happened. It's still scanning, the window just closed, had to re-open it though the quick menu in bottom right. Though when I search my pc, it's not bringing back MB as on here. Though it did just update.

Edit: I am using MSE by the way, along with Malware bytes. Is this enough?

Edit 2: Or is Windows Defender different from MSE? In the past when I've googled, they seemed to be the same.

If you're using Vista/7 then Windows Defender is just an anti-malware program whereas Microsoft Security Essentially is the full package. Windows Defender on Win8, though, is practically the same thing as the latter.

Edit: I'd still format and reinstall, anyway. Giving Windows a fresh slate is never a bad idea.

nerdook

Neo Member
I'm assuming you're using Unity, how is the new version of it? I'm still using the old 4.3 because of compatibility issues and one day, I'll get a PS4 dev kit!

The game is currently in GameMaker Studio, I'll have to port it to Unity for Xbox One... not started it yet, focused on getting the Steam version out the door first!

Beelzebubs

The game is currently in GameMaker Studio, I'll have to port it to Unity for Xbox One... not started it yet, focused on getting the Steam version out the door first!

You do right! I still like GMS it's a great piece of software especially for 2D stuff, had a lot of fun prototyping with it, it's a lot more versatile than people think. Best of luck with the porting and I'll be sure to pick up your game!

Agreed. All this infighting over who deserves to enter a giveaway just seems to have gotten worse with each new rule that Modbot gets. (I hope he doesn't get any more, at least not ones that relate to the "worthiness" of an entrant.)

Honestly, I liked the idea of the new rules at first, and they certainly have noble goals. But lately I've started to think all the older rules were the only ones we really needed, stuff like no lurkers, no winners daily/weekly/monthly. Once you start getting into givers only, megagivers, pay it forward, etc., you've reached a point where an automated system can no longer distinguish who really belongs in what group and such. Gaming the system is simple, and as a result, perfectly innocent giveaways suddenly generate suspicion and accusations against people that are really just trying to get rid of some extra games (a longtime practice in this thread!).

Nothing I give away will ever use these newer rules. Anyone who fits the "spirit" of MEGAGIVER status can easily buy their own games anyway, so why lock away your giveaways from other gaffers who love games but might not be able to afford some of these great ones so easily?

I don't know, I just wish all this silliness would stop. Let's just give away some games, people, and let God sort it out.

Some good points.

I'm going to try to remember to always use garbage dump if giving away something that is like a destiny beta key or something that has been free in the past so that I don't give anyone the impression I'm trying to sneak into a pay it forward for no real contribution.

I can totally see why many givers are concerned about that practice though, as it does undermine the point.

But hey, I don't 100% like MEGAGIVERS either. I've definitely given more games in GAF & Steam messages than modbot and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Turfster

no offense Shack but youre the first person ive ever seen that thought it was a AAA game, theres a reason why its usually mentioned with the likes of Marlow Briggs :p its also why its base price is so mocked
Marlow Briggs is silly, but it's the good 80s action movie kind of silly.

Today is my birthday, you know what that means? Time for a give away!
Happy birthday.

Majestic Nights looks like it'll be interesting.

Dr Dogg

You know if you're worried about impressions getting less visibility you could always post your own or at least engage others about their impressions rather than they slew of random musings, shitposts, off topic and chatroom style rubbish that get's posted. It's not there's anything stopping anyone from posting their own views on a game they have played or engaging with others as long as you're civil about it. MRORANGE has asked participants if this thread to give him write ups for titles you're looking forward to and in the past has asked others to give him impressions of what you played in the last month but scarcely anybody does. Though some people are happy to post about they had a hair cut or about what they are having for dinner that evening or about some other non-Steam related personal or social issue. Some times not even being tactful and nesting their offtopic posts within others of substance so that it's just another post that adds nothing of substance to anything related to Steam.

And seriously a Wiki? You know you're on a discussion board right? Where the idea is you engage in discussion with others about an overarching topic at hand. This thread happens to be drilled down further to Steam so all things about Steam, including impressions of said games on the service fits the bill. So you'd rather take relatable discussion off site but still perpetuate unrelatable topics within this thread? How about moving off topic discussion out of this thread to a wiki? Could be why some of the people that used to post in here with their own impressions don't even come in here anymore?

I don't know why I bothered to poke my head in here today despite saying I wasn't (must be really fucking bored I guess) but reading Spring-Loaded's and RionaaM's as well as a few others conversation about the Batman Arkham series was on of the few things of note posted here. Asides from a few impressions from Dusk and Rhaknar the rest felt like they were posts lasting no more than a sentence or two of little to no substance. For me over the past year not only has the quality of posts dropped off significantly around here but the quantity of quality posts has diminished as well. I hold my hands up for playing a part in the demise somewhat but over the past couple of months I've tried to help turn things around, good grief have I tried but it's a monumental task requiring a majority to pull in the same direction. I've tired to post impressions, I've tried to engage others on theirs, I've tried to curtail derailing the thread but I've got to the point now that I feel like I'm wasting my time posting in here.

Though that's just my take I'm going to fuck off out of your everyones way but if this is what people really want then I have no idea why this thread isn't in community already

Today is my birthday, you know what that means? Time for a give away!

But not just any give away. It's time for another twist. From the one who brought you the Broken Bad give away may I present:

vQJNRFA.png

The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!
(If you already have the game you win feel free to regive it yourself or PM and I'll do another giveaway)

Happy Birthday! Sweet giveaway... gonna be a ton of "You chose...poorly" gifs for whoever wins Bad Rats.

Jawmuncher

Wonder just how much Gwbw opened up compared to the Flash Game.

Was highly unimpressed when killing all members at the beginning resulted in a instant game over. Rather than some sort of suffering for doing such a thing.

Ain't there anything to discover? Local markets, local exotic fruits? Wandering in the rain forest (don't get lost!), cultural stuff, old buildings etc.?
Nope. Everyone in this neighborhood is really old as well. There's only one person here around my age but apparently she's a shut in. I've only seen her like twice. Its mostly cause I'm with my mom tho, if I was here with my cousins it would be 100 times more enjoyable since they're familiar with the country and like to go out(my mom doesn't). Wanna play some steam Gamez, mainly abyss oddessy D:

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
here you go, guys :) and sorry it's nothing huge like some of the games that have been given out here lately ... but I really hope someone still finds these games cool :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 36 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-9DEF09682FEB4B98 - Taken by InfiniteNine
Thief Gold #2 -- MB-8513C1938B0AEA80 - Taken by Fuzzification
Thief Gold #3 -- MB-7CD3AD730E9EA349 - Taken by Loptous
Thief Gold #4 -- MB-ED8A75186E4485CF - Taken by Ruruja
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-BFDE16738A540AAD - Taken by Fuzzification
Hitman: Codename 47 #2 -- MB-04B11916706BDADF - Taken by Leg-End
Hitman: Codename 47 #3 -- MB-49B760F5647A9C82 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow
Hitman: Codename 47 #4 -- MB-2D048C009A2200A2 - Taken by Berto
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-16F7D565BBF5935A - Taken by -MD-
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #2 -- MB-C79194B59A6EAA1E - Taken by nightstorm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #3 -- MB-FFB1B7C2E809F93A - Taken by Kiru. 4 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #4 -- MB-9968A278CC465280 - Taken by sprinkles. 2 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas -- MB-706987BC9D6330A6 - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 1 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #2 -- MB-D0823F391AC6D37C - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #3 -- MB-8705E7BEFFFE5BC9 - Taken by salazar547. 4 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #4 -- MB-D0BAFA2B69E604DF - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana -- MB-018B660E4BCB3354 - Taken by spindoctor. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana #2 -- MB-FD3B6B5F82F2E641 - Taken by fernandes. 1 entrants total.
Daikatana #3 -- MB-42A7CBC0946DDFA5 - Taken by Servizio. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana #4 -- MB-9CDDC4FBC5DF132E - Taken by Kyougar. 2 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-4B17CCCE776D33CB - Taken by ShogunX
Anachronox #2 -- MB-503151A22B8F597D - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Anachronox #3 -- MB-D7F5AC4D728BDC2C - Taken by Interfectum. 1 entrants total.
Anachronox #4 -- MB-FD5EDEF24FF58739 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-B31C8A31FEEDF7BA - Taken by Anustart. 3 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #2 -- MB-9100B43F995331D2 - Taken by dark_inferno. 2 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #3 -- MB-DB01449078C715AB - Taken by almostheathen. 7 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #4 -- MB-B695B6B1F5DCFAA0 - Taken by Mavromatis. 5 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-89BC94B79FC7D9B7 - Taken by Driw3r. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #2 -- MB-3494C94B13D4EC3D - Taken by Sky Chief. 2 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #3 -- MB-D3A40EC53F2F71B1 - Taken by wetflame. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #4 -- MB-0F4D723F6AC4E01E - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-6FAFA6C94FA4E19D - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #2 -- MB-FA9BD3CB87D07D4D - Taken by Dambrosi
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #3 -- MB-A12B1D2E9009A37B - Taken by lfvgt
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #4 -- MB-8A1BAC1BC707253D - Taken by saunderez

t1406221479z1.png

AkuMifune

Banned
So when I giveaway a game I have in my steam inventory through modbot people have issues redeeming them. Is that because I'm registering it wrong, or they need to do something different to redeem it?

Hugstable

Banned
You know if you're worried about impressions getting less visibility you could always post your own or at least engage others about their impressions rather than they slew of random musings, shitposts, off topic and chatroom style rubbish that get's posted. It's not there's anything stopping anyone from posting their own views on a game they have played or engaging with others as long as you're civil about it. MRORANGE has asked participants if this thread to give him write ups for titles you're looking forward to and in the past has asked others to give him impressions of what you played in the last month but scarcely anybody does. Though some people are happy to post about they had a hair cut or about what they are having for dinner that evening or about some other non-Steam related personal or social issue. Some times not even being tactful and nesting their offtopic posts within others of substance so that it's just another post that adds nothing of substance to anything related to Steam.

And seriously a Wiki? You know you're on a discussion board right? Where the idea is you engage in discussion with others about an overarching topic at hand. This thread happens to be drilled down further to Steam so all things about Steam, including impressions of said games on the service fits the bill. So you'd rather take relatable discussion off site but still perpetuate unrelatable topics within this thread? How about moving off topic discussion out of this thread to a wiki? Could be why some of the people that used to post in here with their own impressions don't even come in here anymore?

I don't know why I bothered to poke my head in here today despite saying I wasn't (must be really fucking bored I guess) but reading Spring-Loaded's and RionaaM's as well as a few others conversation about the Batman Arkham series was on of the few things of note posted here. Asides from a few impressions from Dusk and Rhaknar the rest felt like they were posts lasting no more than a sentence or two of little to no substance. For me over the past year not only has the quality of posts dropped off significantly around here but the quantity of quality posts has diminished as well. I hold my hands up for playing a part in the demise somewhat but over the past couple of months I've tried to help turn things around, good grief have I tried but it's a monumental task requiring a majority to pull in the same direction. I've tired to post impressions, I've tried to engage others on theirs, I've tried to curtail derailing the thread but I've got to the point now that I feel like I'm wasting my time posting in here.

Though that's just my take I'm going to fuck off out of your everyones way but if this is what people really want then I have no idea why this thread isn't in community already

I'm pretty sure the impressions would still be here, the whole thing was wanting to compile them in another place so we would always have a place to see the reviews and impressions that we have already written and would be useful for those that missed it the first time or those that have just joined the topic and would like to know more about a game that has already been released. I love having the impressions here and I don't think a compiliation of those would be all too bad.

waby

I would like to add on your answer. Bootup of windows is not only the positive side of upgrading to SSD. The true realization of the upgrade is that when the worst case scenario setup of the drive where there is a lot of shit you have put on the drive, it will still load things faster than HDD.

I just don't like the partial answer for the ssd upgrade on most of the comments.

Strazyplus

t1406217600z1.png

Anyone else looking towards this game? Gonna miss the 10% off since I wait for reviews, I tried to win the game in giveaways but luck wasn't on my side.

JaseC

here you go, guys :) and sorry it's nothing huge like some of the games that have been given out here lately ... but I really hope someone still finds these games cool :)

OOTPB14 is worth jumping on as there's no telling when OOTPP will disable the ability to purchase the store sub. It was actually disabled along with OOTPB9's, however 14 earned a reprieve for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom