• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

t1406217600z1.png

Anyone else looking towards this game? Gonna miss the 10% off since I wait for reviews, I tried to win the game in giveaways but luck wasn't on my side.

Have they announced that the game will release with store reset?

Turfster

So when I giveaway a game I have in my steam inventory through modbot people have issues redeeming them. Is that because I'm registering it wrong, or they need to do something different to redeem it?

I had some trouble with redeeming and giving away inventory giveaways last year.
What we did in the end is just gift it manually in the client itself, since we knew who the recipient was supposed to be anyway.

OOTPB14 is worth jumping on as there's no telling when OOTPP will disable the ability to purchase the store sub. It was actually disabled along with OOTB9, however 14 earned a reprieve for some reason.

for the humble bundle? I mean, they probably couldn't have been in the humble bundle if the game was removed from the store, or could they?

no, he hasn't ...

You're right, i misread your post. but others have said that now they're less likely to give something out because of the recent backlash. I'm just not really into the recent witch hunt based on what people are giving out. Modbot was one of the nice things about this thread, people giving away games and the general joy of it all.

It just seems like it's gotten real negative lately.

I'm pretty sure the impressions would still be here, the whole thing was wanting to compile them in another place so we would always have a place to see the reviews and impressions that we have already written and would be useful for those that missed it the first time or those that have just joined the topic and would like to know more about a game that has already been released. I love having the impressions here and I don't think a compiliation of those would be all too bad.

True. I specifically asked to make sure that such a change wouldn't result in any fewer impressions being posted to the thread and it was clarified that they would just *additionally* be placed in a wiki.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
for the humble bundle? I mean, they probably couldn't have been in the humble bundle if the game was removed from the store, or could they?

Legal matters aside (licence expirations, publishing rights changing hands, and so on), there's nothing preventing a publisher from asking Valve for more keys, store page or no store page... although Sega Support would like you to believe otherwise. Strictly speaking OOTPB14 is still available on Steam; while the app page is gone, the sub itself is still purchaseable.

t1406217600z1.png

Anyone else looking towards this game? Gonna miss the 10% off since I wait for reviews, I tried to win the game in giveaways but luck wasn't on my side.

Game seems really interesting, looking forward to the imminent release. The giantbomb quick look completely sold me on the idea

Although I'm not sure how I feel about the overarching plot that was developing. I had thought the game was a series of self-contained moral dilemmas for some reason.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Many users from here are too greedy to even spend $1 and buy a cheap bundle to give away. Why should these people be able to bypass giveaway restrictions? completely destroys the point of all rules. If they feel so inclined to give away games that everyone can get for free then they should be decent enough to tag them as garbage dumps and not take any credit for them
Meh, I'd rather people blacklist those who abuse the system instead of making general arbitrary restrictions for those who don't. If you see someone doing something you dislike, just permablock them.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
See, now you got people scared to give out games, Sub Zero.

I don't think it's even worth bothering with you anymore. I have already too many problems to deal with and adding an asshole like you on top of them will just make things worse. So I'll just ignore you and your pathetic trolling from now on and everything will be fine

I want to believe that my contribution to this community is appreciated by at least some people and they won't think bad of me because I cheated 5 dollars from playfire. So I won't do you and some other assholes the favor and take your insults to the heart. So have a good day and find something else to do with your miserable life rather than trolling on internet forums

Shadownet

Banned
Super Rant

Some of us here like to think that SteamGAF is family, and what's wrong with sharing to your family news about your life? I've made some really amazing friends on here and I would like to hear about their lives every now and then. Whether its good or bad news. We're not saying move all impressions/reviews to a wiki. People can still post them on here, but also posting it on a wiki can help catalogue them for future reference.

We still talk about games here but we also know how to laugh and have fun. Some people should lighten up a bit.

AkuMifune

Banned
I had some trouble with redeeming and giving away inventory giveaways last year.
What we did in the end is just gift it manually in the client itself, since we knew who the recipient was supposed to be anyway.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I don't want to have to friend every pleb that gets my leftovers though. ;)

scroogemcduck.gif

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
You're right, i misread your post. but others have said that now they're less likely to give something out because of the recent backlash. I'm just not really into the recent witch hunt based on what people are giving out. Modbot was one of the nice things about this thread, people giving away games and the general joy of it all.

It just seems like it's gotten real negative lately.

well - in case any of it is my fault (even in small part) - I'm really sorry about that :(

Today is my birthday, you know what that means? Time for a give away!

But not just any give away. It's time for another twist. From the one who brought you the Broken Bad give away may I present:

vQJNRFA.png

The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!
(If you already have the game you win feel free to regive it yourself or PM and I'll do another giveaway)

Happy bday. I prepared for bad rats

wilflare

As a reminder to y'all, Darkwood releases on Early Access on Steam today.

header_292x136.jpg

"Darkwood is a game about survival, exploration and fear, set in mysterious woods somewhere in the territory of the Soviet Bloc. It is a top-down, free-roam, surreal horror experience with a randomized world, taking cues from classic games, where oftentimes you had to figure things out for yourself. By blending RPG, roguelike and adventure elements together with a challenging difficulty, Darkwood aims to please players craving for a deep and rewarding experience.

The fear of unknown is powerful – and the unknown will try to remain unseen, forcing you to watch your back. Your senses will be deceived, your sight fooled, your smell tricked by Darkwood's surreal terrors. No answer will be given to you for free, yet somewhere in the woods lies the truth, an explanation to what has happened in this godforsaken place."

Newest Trailer... Game looks a lot better in motion than it does in screens.

ss_efef1b56eac0521f0994f3ad718c9197fd3c29e1.600x338.jpg
ss_2bb8b221911d04fd13c8094e283d39d924940af5.600x338.jpg
ss_b425d183656c5c1beba4ab66d052d5053c69922a.600x338.jpg

Crowd-funded this a while ago on Indiegogo, and it's been developing nicely.

----

On an unrelated note, re-posting as a couple pages ago, holding an Evil Within IOU giveaway.

I can't enter this.. but amazing amazing :D

Shadownet

Banned

t1406217600z1.png

you're going to love Saturday then.

Meh, I'd rather people blacklist those who abuse the system instead of making general arbitrary restrictions for those who don't. If you see someone doing something you dislike, just permablock them.

Yup, just permablock them. I already did it to 3 people.

well - in case any of it is my fault (even in small part) - I'm really sorry about that :(

Don't be sorry lashman. You got nothing to apologize for. I think Sub meant people who are giving away like Gun Monkey or some other free games so they could be eligible in PayItForward giveaways. At least you and most other people pay for bundles to raffle off. That's a great thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some of us here like to think that SteamGAF is family, and what's wrong with sharing to your family news about your life? I've made some really amazing friends on here and I would like to hear about their lives every now and then. Whether its good or bad news. We're not saying move all impressions/reviews to a wiki. People can still post them on here, but also posting it on a wiki can help catalogue them for future reference.

We still talk about games here but we also know how to laugh and have fun. Some people should lighten up a bit.

That's what the SteamGAF Steam chatroom used to be for.

There are so many avenues this information can be found out through. Steam Chat or just pinging someone and asking 'hey whats up' or what not.

And the issue isn't so much cutting that out ALL together, it's that there needs to be restraint or at least wrap the OT stuff with SOMETHING relevant to Steam. Sure somethings are important and there is a 'family' sense here. Hell, I shared when I found out my wife was pregnant here before anywhere a month or so ago.

There is a big difference with things going on with someones life and "man lunch was good today".

I don't know when exactly you joined up following these threads, but it's not so much current state as it is current state compared to previous state. There is a quality difference.

Trejik

t1406217600z1.png

I'm super pumped. I love adventure-esque games, and especially anything taking inspiration from Telltale's recent efforts. Having watched the Quick Look, it seems to be full of uncomfortable situations that really stress you out and push you to the limit. I honestly can't wait until I get back from work to play it. I'll probably write up and record a video review for those not convinced or waiting for more in-depth opinions.

Deitus

Since many people have been talking about giveaways and rules, I thought I would chime in.

I don't think there is any reason to start second guessing people for giving away games, even if you don't think their giveaway is valuable. Most of the games I have won have been bundle games that probably had very little individual cost to the giver. But to me, they were games that I didn't own and wanted, and I have enjoyed them pretty well so far (at least those that I've gotten around to playing). One mans trash, etc. We shouldn't look down on anyone for giving away things like this, and in fact we should be encouraging it, because there are people out there who would love to get those games (until there aren't anymore, and that's when the garbage dump comes in). If we start cracking down on what giveaways are worthy, it will chase away people who want to be generous, but can't afford to buy multiple 60 dollar games for strangers, and really no one should be looked down on for that. Plus, we would end up with a lot less giveaways, and that certainly wouldn't be good.

On the flip side, I hope people consider the spirit of the rules that are in place, and don't try to abuse the system. While some rules are enforceable, ModBot giveaways still rely heavily on the honor system. Don't enter giveaways for games you don't want; consider that there are people out there who actually do want those games and let them win. If you've won a bunch of big games recently, consider taking a break from high profile giveaways for a bit to give others a chance. I know the throttle can take care of that to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be considerate. And if you have won a bunch of things, consider giving away something yourself. You shouldn't feel obligated to repay the exact dollar amount you've won, and people's differing financial situations can influence what is practical for them to do, but just do something that you feel is generous.

As for the specific rules, megagiver is designed to reward people who have been exceptionally generous in the community. It's a "this small pool of individuals have given so much, let's give them something in return" rule. I don't think it would be a good idea to block bundled games from counting towards this, because then even some of the biggest givers wouldn't be able to qualify. Honestly, I don't like the way this rule works, even though I understand why it is the way it is, because the people who I consider to be megagivers are the people who have given away copies of full priced games like Divinity, Alien, Dead Rising, etc. But anyway, if you haven't given away much, I don't think it meets the intent of this rule to scour the internet for as many free game keys and cheap bundles, so you can pay the bare minimum to qualify for this. I don't think we should question the motives of people who do this, but on a personal level, if you don't think the intent of the rule applies for you, you should probably abstain from entering.

The pay it forward rule is an interesting one, because it's easy to be caught off guard by an awesome giveaway. Like "I just won a game the other day, and I don't get paid until Friday, so I can't afford to spend a lot of money on a great giveaway until then." In that case, the intent of the rule is to to incentivise people to give as much as they get. So if you're in a situation where you have to give away trash games in order to qualify for a pay it forward giveaway, I think that's fine as long as you actually pay it forward at a later date.

And a special note on Bad Rats: if you are giving away copies of Bad Rats, you know you are doing it to troll people. That's fine, but don't try to pretend otherwise. If there is a giveaway that has a requirement of having given something yourself, and the only thing you have given that meets that qualification is Bad Rats, you should know that's not the intent. You don't need to stop giving away Bad Rats, but mix in some games people actually want if you want to qualify for raffles target at givers.

Just my extremely long-winded version of 2 cents. Sorry for this interruption, carry on everyone.

Shadownet

Banned
There are so many avenues this information can be found out through. Steam Chat or just pinging someone and asking 'hey whats up' or what not.

And the issue isn't so much cutting that out ALL together, it's that there needs to be restraint or at least wrap the OT stuff with SOMETHING relevant to Steam. Sure somethings are important and there is a 'family' sense here. Hell, I shared when I found out my wife was pregnant here before anywhere a month or so ago.

There is a big difference with things going on with someones life and "man lunch was good today".

Well I agree with you there if there is something going on in someone life they should share to SteamGAF if they feel like it. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen "guess what I ate for lunch today" post lately.

I don't know when exactly you joined up following these threads, but it's not so much current state as it is current state compared to previous state. There is a quality difference.

I got here 3rd day of Summer Sale so yeah I can't comment on the previous state of SteamGAF.

derExperte

You still don't get it. Can't say I'm surprised though.

Porcupine

So I won Unrest in a giveaway (thanks again to MakeshiftChef ) and I promised to write an impression about it.

header_292x136.jpg

So I played a little over 30 minutes and the developer mentioned in the Steam forums that this game will last a little longer then 3 hours. It's an point-and-click adventure which focuses completely on the story and the choices you make. The only real gameplay is walking around and talking to other people (I have no problem with that, I love adventure games).
It's in a fictional indian setting with the focus on a city which needs to get through bad times with the help of another race, the "Nagas". You play different characteres and experience their stories.
I love the idea of the game and it's great to see another game with a very unfamiliar setting and new ideas coming to Steam.
So two points are essential for a game like this to make it a good one:

1. Presentation
2. Story

And for me, there lies the problem with the game

1. I'm not a guy who wants to have realistic graphics in every game, but when you are using a graphic style from older generations like the Wadjeteyegames, then you need to make sure, that the style is atmospheric. And with this game it just isn't the case. In the Steam forums a lot of people seemed to be fine with the style, but imho I don't like the style. Might be a personal thing so everyone interested in this game should see for themself if the style is ok.
2. The second point is the story. It is completely told through text boxes. And this might be a personal opinion again, but I didn't like the story so far. It's nothing special and the game does nothing to keep me interested. Also you switch characters really fast and can't feel for them when something happens. A lot of people can be ok with the story, but for me it's not interesting enough to keep going. Especially after hearing that the game just takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

So after all I really like the idea and I'm a big adventure fan in general, but this game just isn't for me. But I hope I got your interest and maybe you give the game a chance and may be enjoying it ;)

is there any way i can check if a steam key hasnt been used?? i want to do a giveaway with a steam key i have but im not sure if it works

Hugstable

Banned

Have we had many posts lately where it was just something really short like that and off topic? Besides the usual gifs or whatever and that weird pregnant batman thing yesterday, much of the discussion these last few days have been steam or steam related. There is still off topic, but it's not anywhere near as bad as it was right after the summer sale. At least ever since that first summer OT I've been trying to make sure that most of my posts here at least have something that relates to to steam. Anyone that's new like me will learn how to post better and more on topic within time, just gotta let us know if our off topic has gotten out of hand.

Volcynika

is there any way i can check if a steam key hasnt been used?? i want to do a giveaway with a steam key i have but im not sure if it works

Don't think there's a mechanism to do so unless you already own the game in question. You would just have to let people know with the giveaway that it might not work.

I don't think so, outside of popping it into steam and crossing your fingers.

I have a similar situation with an old game i want to give away but I don't know which key that i have is valid and which isn't. I guess i'll find out tonight when i have access to the steam app again : /

Have we had many posts lately where it wss just something really short like that and off topic? Besides the usual gifs or whatever and that weird pregnant batman thing yesterday, much of the discussion these last few days have been steam or steam related. There is still iff tipic, but it's not anywhere near as bad as it was right after the summer sale. At least ever since that first summer OT I've been trying to make sure that most of my posts here at least have something that relates to to steam. Anyone thats new like me will learn how to post better and more on topic within time, just gotta let us know if our off topic has gotten out of hand.

I can see why some people might be annoyed by an abundance of off topic chat, but I feel like the really troublesome bits seem pretty well behind us. To be honest, I think there are probably more posts complaining about OT posts nowadays than actual OT posts.

Dr Dogg

After your antics since participating in this thread you're on thin ice with a lot of other people that post in here. If you want to have a social chat with the friends you have made in here more power to you but if you don't even have the consideration that a lot of people both past, presents and prospective are not coming in here to read about people's social goings on then you're going to more than likely ostracising people from this very thread.

They very fact that you replied to Stallion with what appears to be very little thought to your response "Yeah but no one really go on there. We all just like it here better." despite the 2nd post on the last thread was Stump asking people if they feel the need to take off topic conversation to the Steam Chatroom to improve discussion here is incredibly telling. If your not going to listing to one of the moderation team you sure as shit ain't going to listen to anyone else in here.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
[opinions on the current state of the thread]
To be fair, there's only so much we can talk about Steam related stuff. I agree that too much off-topic can (and does) make the worthwhile posts harder to find, but I see nothing wrong with a bit of talk about other things too. Of course, it has to be kept at a reasonable level, instead of the pages after pages of pics and .gifs we've been having lately, but if some people want to post something about anime or music or a movie or whatever, that could be interesting too (for example, I really enjoy talking about music with all the great people here, and even though I may be part of the problem I also try to talk about games whenever I can).

What could be done is putting a summary of reviews and impressions somewhere in the first posts of each thread, but that would mean more work for MrOrange (unless we all contribute by making the summary and giving it to him, so all he has to do is edit the post and paste it there).

Shadownet

Banned
Since many people have been talking about giveaways and rules, I thought I would chime in.

Great post Deitus, 100/10 would read again.

You still don't get it. Can't say I'm surprised though.

At this point I really don't care what you have to say, but hey don't be surprised though.

I'm usually nice to everyone but you rub me the wrong way.

---

After your antics since participating in this thread you're on thin ice with a lot of other people that post in here. If you want to have a social chat with the friends you have made in here more power to you but if you don't even have the consideration that a lot of people both past, presents and prospective are not coming in here to read about people's social goings on then you're going to more than likely ostracising people from this very thread.

They very fact that you replied to Stallion with what appears to be very little thought to your response "Yeah but no one really go on there. We all just like it here better." despite the 2nd post on the last thread was Stump asking people if they feel the need to take off topic conversation to the Steam Chatroom to improve discussion here is incredibly telling. If your not going to listing to one of the moderation team you sure as shit ain't going to listen to anyone else in here.

If anyone have a problem with me they're free to PM me. I highly doubt I'm on thin ice with a ton of people but as I said before. PM me.

And by the way just maybe think about this? That I was on the chatroom and not many people are on there so that's why I left. It's not like I never visit there.

wilflare

please tell me if this doesn't work
i received two codes, might have mixed up with the one I used

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wilflare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Micron -- MB-F53BBA5EF7148AB8 - Taken by Kryptonite. 1 entrants total.

t1406213620z1.png

Don't think there's a mechanism to do so unless you already own the game in question. You would just have to let people know with the giveaway that it might not work.

Wait, there's a way to do this if I already own the game?

I thought trying to redeem a game you already own errors that you already own it, regardless of whether the key is still good or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Asides from a few impressions from Dusk and Rhaknar the rest felt like they were posts lasting no more than a sentence or two of little to no substance.

Eh, I don't post impressions because I almost literally don't play games and my posts are brief because the vast majority of the time I'm answering questions like...

If you think you may have used it, you can try this.

I make no pretensions that I post Steam-related stuff exclusively, but I do try my best to weave OT content into a post that's otherwise on-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom