• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Wait, there's a way to do this if I already own the game?

I thought trying to redeem a game you already own errors that you already own it, regardless of whether the key is still good or not.

I'm not sure honestly :x I guess I don't know what error message takes precedence, the one that you own the game, or the one that tells you it's already used.

i own the game so what message should appear if the key is working??

I figured the error message that tells you its already been used take precedence (if you try to use it yourself), but I'm not sure honestly.

I'm not sure honestly :x I guess I don't know what error message takes precedence, the one that you own the game, or the one that tells you that you already own it.

I figured the error message that tells you its already been used take precedence (if you try to use it yourself), but I'm not sure honestly.

I think JaseC just provided a method that would work. I'll have to look in to that. Thanks JaseC!

SSPssp

Today is my birthday, you know what that means? Time for a give away!

But not just any give away. It's time for another twist. From the one who brought you the Broken Bad give away may I present:

vQJNRFA.png

The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!
(If you already have the game you win feel free to regive it yourself or PM and I'll do another giveaway)

Happy Birthday dude! I already have Infinite, so that's just one bullet to dodge for me!
The new avatar will be mine!

Trejik

I thought it was going to be more of a simulation / strategy game? Maybe i have it confused with something else?

It's a management game it seems like. You have a number of options and have to balance each action out with another to avoid terrible terrible situations. You're holding hostages, and you need them alive to keep the police from coming in while you hack something, if you spend too many "turns" hacking, the police will come closer and the hostages will get comfortable. If you attack the police and push them back, the hostages get nervous and you're not hacking. If the hostages relax too much or get too nervous, they'll run away or commit suicide, so you have to manage them by yelling, kicking, shooting or straight up killing them, but every hostage that dies makes the police more aggressive.

So you have to balance every action, and you only have one action per turn. So imagine this with a weird cyberpunk story, cool pixel art and different scenarios with different outcomes depending on performance.

t1406217600z1.png

Anyone else looking towards this game? Gonna miss the 10% off since I wait for reviews, I tried to win the game in giveaways but luck wasn't on my side.

Wow can't believe it's releasing today, it looks like I played the ludum dare version past month. Devolver Digital is doing a good job in picking their published games.

Beelzebubs

And a special note on Bad Rats: if you are giving away copies of Bad Rats, you know you are doing it to troll people. That's fine, but don't try to pretend otherwise. If there is a giveaway that has a requirement of having given something yourself, and the only thing you have given that meets that qualification is Bad Rats, you should know that's not the intent. You don't need to stop giving away Bad Rats, but mix in some games people actually want if you want to qualify for raffles target at givers.

This is a copy of Bad Rats, I repeat, this is a copy of Bad Rats!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-63169067290D4019 - Taken by Original Famous Ray. 4 entrants total.

t1406214098z1.png

So I see that the GTA Complete pack is on sale at Nuuvem, does anyone know if it still includes GTA 1 and 2? I think I saw JaseC say something about them changing that.

I got the pack yesterday from Nuuvem, and the key I activated did include GTA 1 and 2. However, the site doesn't list these two games and I don't know if it is still true if you purchase now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think JaseC just provided a method that would work. I'll have to look in to that. Thanks JaseC!

Just make sure the key is exactly correct, down to no spaces. The method would be more reliable if the form functioned like the product activation one and the key was verified before the final confirmation/error screen is displayed.

Wow can't believe it's releasing today, it looks like I played the ludum dare version past month. Devolver Digital is doing a good job in picking their published games.

I find it interesting that Team17 appears to be heading down the same path vis-a-vis indie publishing. Worms must not be selling like it used to. ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Only way is to try using it on a Steam account that already has the game (and it must be the exact same app).

This won't work as Steam prioritises "Product already owned" over "Duplicate product code". It's something I wish Valve would swap around.

derExperte

Only just found this now: Ron Gilbert's old Maniac Mansion design docs. http://grumpygamer.com/maniac_mansion_design_doc

please tell me if this doesn't work
i received two codes, might have mixed up with the one I used

Okay puzzler btw, just too light on content, I was done after two hours (except the 12 bonus levels) and I doubt we'll see too many community levels. But at least it doesn't get frustrating/overly complicated.

At this point I really don't care what you have to say, but hey don't be surprised though.

I'm usually nice to everyone but you rub me the wrong way.

Did you ever care about what anyone else has said so far in regards to your behaviour and attempted to act accordingly? No. So I think I'll manage.

Ban Puncher

bro, if you have to use a controller for a fighting game (and that's a big IF) you need to get a saturn USB pad like yesterday.

I got Fightsticks but sometimes I have to resort to sub-human methods and use a 360 pad because I've got like a cat on my lap or something. At least they are transformable D-Pad 360 pads though, I am not a total savage.

But the Steam pad is just so alien.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Summons aren't taking too long in the Dark Souls 2 DLC NG+1, but jesus this first boss is hard. I haven't beaten it once in about 15 tries with other people summoning me.

Levyne

Banned
Is it just me, or the community portion of Steam is down?

Spotty for me too.

Summons aren't taking too long in the Dark Souls 2 DLC NG+1, but jesus this first boss is hard. I haven't beaten it once in about 15 tries with other people summoning me.

Yeah, the first boss took me around 4 tries, the second only 2 (only NG here). The optional boss I only beat because I summoned some super awesome sunbros, they totally carried me, but they seemed happy to do it with a bunch of friendly gestures ;_; bless them

Jawmuncher

I got Fightsticks but sometimes I have to resort to sub-human methods and use a 360 pad because I've got like a cat on my lap or something. At least they are transformable D-Pad 360 pads though, I am not a total savage.

I still haven't gotten used to using Dpads for fighting games unless it's the ps3 controller. since its way to easy to slip off the sticks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man what the hell. I don't know why Bioshock keeps crashing on me. =(
BioShock 1? Do you also have no sound at all in-game? Because I didn't, so I had to update my audio drivers and enable Stereo Mix in Windows' sound options. I've heard it can also be fixed by plugging in a mic (which I didn't have at the time).

Don't know if the two problems are related, but I'd give it a try anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just catching up with giantbomb quicklooks and unfinished videos. Bought retrobooster because any cave flyer gets my love.

Also like the look of Cannonbrawl - anyone played it and can comment how it is? Felt to me like a cross between worms and PixelJunk Monsters.

Dr Dogg

To be fair, there's only so much we can talk about Steam related stuff. I agree that too much off-topic can (and does) make the worthwhile posts harder to find, but I see nothing wrong with a bit of talk about other things too. Of course, it has to be kept at a reasonable level, instead of the pages after pages of pics and .gifs we've been having lately, but if some people want to post something about anime or music or a movie or whatever, that could be interesting too (for example, I really enjoy talking about music with all the great people here, and even though I may be part of the problem I also try to talk about games whenever I can).

What could be done is putting a summary of reviews and impressions somewhere in the first posts of each thread, but that would mean more work for MrOrange (unless we all contribute by making the summary and giving it to him, so all he has to do is edit the post and paste it there).

In a perfect world RionnaM that would work but as I'm sure you can admit it's a fine balancing act and it's gotten way out of hand. Not just lately but over the past year. As I said the interchange you and Spring-Loaded offered two differing points of view on the Arkham games but didn't descend into a heated argument but a civilised discussion with both of you explaining why you like one over the other. That was an organic discussion that's very hard to sum up in an OP (well unless you get Lionel Mandrake on the case) and was worth reading in full. The problem is next to no one reads the OP. Many questions get asked in here that are already answered in the OP so unless that changes as well then even a summary in the OP isn't going to help matters.

My line of thinking is you give people an inch and they'll take a mile so it's better to parrot the line 'quit it with the OT talk' knowing full well it will never go away just like bloody MS Paint contests!

If anyone have a problem with me they're free to PM me. I highly doubt I'm on thin ice with a ton of people but as I said before. PM me.

And by the way just maybe think about this? That I was on the chatroom and not many people are on there so that's why I left. It's not like I never visit there.

Look I'm not going to waste mine or your time sending you PMs about anything I can't raise in this thread. It might look like I'm pointing the finger at you which if it comes off like that I do apologise but your response to genuine concern about the direction the thread is going aren't helping matters in the slightest. If there's no one in the chat room that doesn't give anyone carte blanche to come in here and derail active discussion. Just because this thread is quiet doesn't mean that it needs waking up. It's been a trying few weeks and I do hope everyone involved here can learn about the direction everybody would like to pull in and not just a handful and definitely not turn this thread into an even more insular community than it looks from the outside.

Eh, I don't post impressions because I almost literally don't play games and my posts are brief because the vast majority of the time I'm answering questions like...

I make no pretensions that I post Steam-related stuff exclusively, but I do try my best to weave OT content into a post that's otherwise on-topic.

Hahaha oh come on you know I consider you tech support at Valve in all but name. But lets not get away from the fact that when you do play a game you do actually post about it. How else would we have seen poor Edward Kenway falling from the sky in ACIV if you didn't post about it?

But as your second point shows that's a workable scenario but blimmey o'riely has there been a lot of posts pre and post sale that have contained nothing but OT remarks of gifs, gifs everywhere that get quoted nigh on to the hills. Makes it funny when people were moaning about the Suarez gif spam that wasn't that intrusive.

Right I've got to get off my soap box urrgghhh!

cyrok

Quick GAF, someone's life is on the line! Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, or Dark Souls? Which should I play right now??

Ya I'd do Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls, then Skyrim. (if Games For Windows Live gets cut do it in that order, if it doesnt do Skyrim then go Dark Souls)

StAidan

Since many people have been talking about giveaways and rules, I thought I would chime in.

Good post. I think your mention of the honor system should really be taken to heart. I think a couple good rules of thumb would be (1) enter for a bundle game if you only need one or two games from a bundle and wouldn't buy it otherwise, and (2) enter for a bigger game only if you've had it on your wishlist and totally intend to play it.

We've had so many generous givers here now, Sub Zero, Rhaknar, and quite a few others, I think everyone would be best served if we all take a look at each giveaway and ask ourselves, "If I enter this giveaway, am I treating the giver (and the rest of the community) with the proper respect?" That's really the bottom line.

Ban Puncher

I still haven't gotten used to using Dpads for fighting games unless it's the ps3 controller. since its way to easy to slip off the sticks.

D-Pads are fine, kinda sucks to be on 2P side though. People who use analogue sticks in fighting games need Jesus.

The question is if you _want_ to do it with that controller, there is enough competition out there (in the gamepad/stick sphere I mean).

The logical thing to do is to win EVO with a keyboard. Get some of that Fatal1ty money.

I'm interested in seeing how well those touchpads work. I think if the idea is to get the casuals to buy a steambox and you hand them that controller without any sort of in-game tutorial tailored to showing you how to use those pads, well, then forget it, given that those pads can mean so many different things game to game, with sections of the pads being used for different things and such.

still, i just want to play Civ 5 on my television set without needing to use a mouse or keyboard so please release it already.

Deitus

Great post Deitus, 100/10 would read again.

Well said, I agree.

Thanks. I wrote up that long rant, and then looked at it after and thought "no one is going to want to read that massive wall of nonsense." So it's good to hear that I'm not just yelling into the void here.

This is a copy of Bad Rats, I repeat, this is a copy of Bad Rats!

I hope I didn't give the impression that it's a bad thing to give away Bad Rats. That's part of the fun of doing mystery raffles is knowing that it's probably Bad Rats. And if you are avoiding it like the plague
(actually, rats and the plague, that's pretty fitting)
, you probably shouldn't enter mystery raffles.

I'm just saying that people who do so should also give away other games occasionally if they want to enter giver raffles (and I'm sure for the most part they do). I don't think we should police people who give Bad Rats, or get upset with them for potentially gaming the system, because in most cases people probably aren't doing that.

well here it is hopefully the key works :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

* im not sure if the key for sf4 is working so if it doesnt work im really sorry :(

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hammerwatch -- MB-C4D130F263C22C92 - Taken by AsylumX. 16 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition -- MB-F97482386E94D043 - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 44 entrants total.

t1406224959z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom