• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

This first dlc boss definitely feels made for coop lol. When you hit it you'll see why.

Now I'm curious. Looks like ill need to get to DS2 and the DLC soon.

It's really, really good. I picked it up when it was in a bundle awhile back, and put quite a few hours into it. That said, I'd say its more of a daily life sim than a highschool sim, since you also need to budget the social and work aspects while working through the story.

Still sounds pretty good to me. I skipped over it since I had no clue what it was when I got it in the bundle.

Porcupine

Just passing this along

gVpTQz0.jpg

giphy.gif

D-Pads are fine, kinda sucks to be on 2P side though. People who use analogue sticks in fighting games need Jesus.

The logical thing to do is to win EVO with a keyboard. Get some of that Fatal1ty money.

Are keyboards allowed in competitions? I guess it needs to be a modified keyboard to work though.

Hugstable

Banned
God all these bundles recently have been increasing my overall game count by quite a bit. I've bought like 3-4 bundles alone just since the summer sale ended and each has had a shitload of games.

Turfster

GMG has a Digital Tribe bundle for 5€
  • Dementium 2 HD
  • Legendary
  • Kung Fu Strike + DLC
  • Velvet Assassin
  • The Terrian Saga KR 17

Note: I am not encouraging people to get this.
Velvet Ass is... ass, as is Legendary.

Backlogger

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/breakneck-bundle/
Vector (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Rush For Glory
Montas
Steel & Steam: Episode 1
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Ionball 2: Ionstorm
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass & Ink (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Growing Pains

for $3.49

JaseC and Rhaknar should be happy, most of them are new/never been bundled before
- Vector
- Steam and Steam
- Ionball 2
- Clockwork Tales
- Growing Pains

Wasn't Steel and Steam in a Groupees bundle?

Edit: It was, but no Steam key

God all these bundles recently have been increasing my overall game count by quite a bit. I've bought like 3-4 bundles alone just since the summer sale ended and each has had a shitload of games.

yup and that's how you become one of us. I looked through my sales this year and June alone had about like 6 bundles. It's nuts.

It looks like the Steam store is down. =[
getting ready for the hl3 stealth release.

Also, how is Batman AO? Is it more like AA or AC?
I just replayed AA and I forgot how disappointing the final boss. AC is still fresh in my memory from when I replayed a few months ago and I preferred AA's more concise story compared to how AC was too big for its own good.

here you go, guys :) and sorry it's nothing huge like some of the games that have been given out here lately ... but I really hope someone still finds these games cool :)
With Cook, Serve, Delicious! included in that giveaway, I have to point out that Extreme Mode (which is only opened up after you unlock NG+) is hilariously brutal. New orders near-instantly start falling off since customer patience is drastically lower and Super Rush Hour just bombards you with you orders non-stop. If you happen to have something on your menu that takes up more time than it should then tough shit, you're not getting that perfect day. I had to opt for offerings like corndogs or coffee because even beer would take too long in the grand scheme of it all.

I should try making a .jif at some point to illustrate the difference between the normal and Extreme difficulty. It's intense.

Ventara

Good morning SteamGaf! So what did I miss? Did I win Batman/Divinity? j/k

So I won Unrest in a giveaway (thanks again to MakeshiftChef ) and I promised to write an impression about it.

header_292x136.jpg

So I played a little over 30 minutes and the developer mentioned in the Steam forums that this game will last a little longer then 3 hours. It's an point-and-click adventure which focuses completely on the story and the choices you make. The only real gameplay is walking around and talking to other people (I have no problem with that, I love adventure games).
It's in a fictional indian setting with the focus on a city which needs to get through bad times with the help of another race, the "Nagas". You play different characteres and experience their stories.
I love the idea of the game and it's great to see another game with a very unfamiliar setting and new ideas coming to Steam.
So two points are essential for a game like this to make it a good one:

1. Presentation
2. Story

And for me, there lies the problem with the game

1. I'm not a guy who wants to have realistic graphics in every game, but when you are using a graphic style from older generations like the Wadjeteyegames, then you need to make sure, that the style is atmospheric. And with this game it just isn't the case. In the Steam forums a lot of people seemed to be fine with the style, but imho I don't like the style. Might be a personal thing so everyone interested in this game should see for themself if the style is ok.
2. The second point is the story. It is completely told through text boxes. And this might be a personal opinion again, but I didn't like the story so far. It's nothing special and the game does nothing to keep me interested. Also you switch characters really fast and can't feel for them when something happens. A lot of people can be ok with the story, but for me it's not interesting enough to keep going. Especially after hearing that the game just takes 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

So after all I really like the idea and I'm a big adventure fan in general, but this game just isn't for me. But I hope I got your interest and maybe you give the game a chance and may be enjoying it ;)

This is unfortunate. I was hoping this might be something special. I think I'll watch a video though, since your negatives about the game don't seem to be a big deal to me.

I hope Gods Will Be Watching delivers, unlike this and Halfway.

Dr Dogg

And i was thankful that all of you posted those impressions as now i know to not set the bar too high for Arkham City. It also made me want to play it sooner just to get back in here and see which impression resonated with me the best.

I get the complaint about posts, but even now this thread is probably the most reactive thread I've been on here in gaf, and by that i mean that almost every time i ask something or post an impression it's almost certain that someone will reply. It really makes this community feel tighter that the other communities, such as the Xbone or PSN threads for example.

I dunno, i see your point but i don't think the thread has devolved as much as you might be making it out to be. Maybe im just having a better experience in here or something, i dunno.

Here's the weird thing thought, the Vita thread, which go merged/changed into the PSN thread started to become a safe haven for the Vita owners on this board (I know because I am among their number!) but for quite a few of them due they only posted the vast majority of the time in that thread, due to the less than stellar view the Vita has with some people on GAF. What ensued then was chatter would centre around games on the Vita but due to next to nothing coming out would soon go OT (and sometimes very, very OT). By and large the Vita thread housed a very insular community that when I would have a look in there I would come out sometimes feeling like I might need therapy.

I'm not privy to the exact reason the Staff chose to merge the thread nor am I concerned as that's not my business. It led to a lot of the posters not being happy about the decision but couldn't see that discussion wasn't too focused on the Vita and I don't know how many others like me weren't overly keen on posting in there. I believe Cyan tried to encourage the posters to spread their wings and explore this forum to the fullest. I don't know how many folks in here have taken a look at the Off Topic side of these forums but there is a topic for anyone to express themselves in (following the TOS of course). I do admit I gravitate to this thread more than any other but it's where my interests align at present.

Though unlike the Vita and it's handful of games, Steam has a library verging on 4,000 so it's not like we're short on games to discuss let alone the service as a whole. There is shit loads we could rabbit on about and have that as the majority of the discussion. And I get that no matter how hard you try to quash off topic chatter it's never going to die down in it's entity but everyone be mindful of what could happen if it goes to far. Mods and even EviLore has come in here and told us to buck our ideas up before so it's not like it's out of the question again either.

Hugstable

Banned
With Cook, Serve, Delicious! included in that giveaway, I have to point out that Extreme Mode (which is only opened up after you unlock NG+) is hilariously brutal. New orders near-instantly start falling off since customer patience is drastically lower and Super Rush Hour just bombards you with you orders non-stop. If you happen to have something on your menu that takes up more time than it should then tough shit, you're not getting that perfect day. I had to opt for offerings like corndogs or coffee because even beer would take too long in the grand scheme of it all.

I should try making a .jif at some point to illustrate the difference between the normal and Extreme difficulty. It's intense.

Normal mode of Cook, Serve, Delicious is brutal enough for me :-/.

This game mirrors me in real life. I'm a horrible fucking cook lol.

Here's the weird thing thought, the Vita thread, which go merged/changed into the PSN thread started to become a safe haven for the Vita owners on this board (I know because I am among their number!) but for quite a few of them due they only posted the vast majority of the time in that thread, due to the less than stellar view the Vita has with some people on GAF. What ensued then was chattered would centre around games on the Vita but due to next to nothing coming out would soon go OT (and sometimes very, very OT). By and large the Vita thread housed a very insular community that when I would have a look in there I would come out sometimes feeling like I might need therapy.

I still remember when they changed the VitaGAF thread to PSN general. Sad times :(. Alot of the discussion there still seems to be Vita though which is nice, cause Vita still needs more exposure.

Toki767

getting ready for the hl3 stealth release.

Also, how is Batman AO? Is it more like AA or AC?
I just replayed AA and I forgot how disappointing the final boss. AC is still fresh in my memory from when I replayed a few months ago and I preferred AA's more concise story compared to how AC was too big for its own good.

Arkham Origins is like Arkham City 2.5 in a way. They took what got added in Arkham City and added to that gameplay-wise. The story though is definitely more focused than Arkham City which felt all over the place.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/breakneck-bundle/
Vector (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Rush For Glory
Montas
Steel & Steam: Episode 1
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Ionball 2: Ionstorm
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass & Ink (Includes Steam Trading Cards)
Growing Pains

for $3.49

JaseC and Rhaknar should be happy, most of them are new/never been bundled before
- Vector
- Steam and Steam
- Ionball 2
- Clockwork Tales
- Growing Pains

I love adventure games, anyone know if Clockwork Tales is good?

chronomac

Out of curiosity I sent the my full loot PM to ModBot to get my stats:

Games received: 52
Games/DLC given away: 80
Unclaimed keys: 10 (going to try giving these away today)
Best game received: FTL or Guacamelee

How has everyone else fared?

aku:jiki

So that Vector game is just absolutely shameless in its cloning of Canabalt, isn't it? Even down to the doves flying off as you run past them.

I don't actually have it yet, but I've gotten the impression from people that it's a top-tier hidden object game. It's one of my main reasons for getting the bundle.

I missed that how do I do this?

Knurek

You know if you're worried about impressions getting less visibility you could always post your own or at least engage others about their impressions rather than they slew of random musings, shitposts, off topic and chatroom style rubbish that get's posted. It's not there's anything stopping anyone from posting their own views on a game they have played or engaging with others as long as you're civil about it.

I'm not sure why you're so angry at the idea, I've raised a (valid IMO) point that the (sometimes amazing, really) reviews/impressions posted here are being lost to time. Because seriously, do you remember the reviews that were posted 3 threads back? Do you want to go through 200 pages just to see what Dusk Golem thought about Home or Lone Survivor or whatever he was playing at the time?
I've just asked if people would be interested/wouldn't mind in having the reviews from previous/next thread compiled somewhere.
And FYI, I did effin post a game impression yesterday.

Ventara

Here's the weird thing thought, the Vita thread, which go merged/changed into the PSN thread started to become a safe haven for the Vita owners on this board (I know because I am among their number!) but for quite a few of them due they only posted the vast majority of the time in that thread, due to the less than stellar view the Vita has with some people on GAF. What ensued then was chattered would centre around games on the Vita but due to next to nothing coming out would soon go OT (and sometimes very, very OT). By and large the Vita thread housed a very insular community that when I would have a look in there I would come out sometimes feeling like I might need therapy.

I'm not privy to the exact reason the Staff chose to merge the thread nor am I concerned as that not my business but a lot of the posters in there were not happy but couldn't see that discussion wasn't too focused on the Vita and I don't know how many others like me weren't overly keen on posting in there. I believe Cyan tried to encourage the posters to spread their wings and explore this forum to the fullest. I don;t know how many folks in here have taken a look at the Off Topic side of these forums but there is a topic for anyone to express themselves in (following the TOS of course). I do admit I gravitate to this thread more than any other but it's where my interests align at present.

Though unlike the Vita and it's handful of game Steam has verging on 4,000 so it's not like we're short on games to discuss let alone the service as a whole. There is shit loads we could rabbit on about and have that as the majority of the discussion. And I get that not matter how hard you try to quash off topic chatter it's never going to die down in it's entity but everyone be mindful of what could happen if it goes to far. Mods and even EviLore has come in here and told us to buck our ideas up before so it's not like it's out of the question again either.

lol, have we been reading the same PSN threads? And what's with you keep saying the Vita has few games or not enough to talk about? lol

The Vita dudes kept things on topic. The problem was that there weren't many of us, so at times there were 10 of us talking about a different game each, and so discussion was all over the place. There were hardly enough of us to move the discussion of a certain game to it's OT since at most there'd be 1-4 people talking about it. And they were right to be angry. Joining up with the PS3/PS4 threads just made discussion even more fractured, since there were more people discussing things.

And what does this have to do with "spreading or wings" and visiting other parts of the forum? lol

You know what i had on my menu when i got the "Impossible Perfect Day" achievement? (This is where you have a perfect day in Extreme Mode, with 6 menu items active)

Sushi
Fish
Breakfast Sandwich
Steak
Coffee
Lobster

Yes, i'm bragging.

aku:jiki

I'm not sure why you're so angry at the idea, I've raised a (valid IMO) point that the (sometimes amazing, really) reviews/impressions posted here are being lost to time. Because seriously, do you remember the reviews that were posted 3 threads back? Do you want to go through 200 pages just to see what Dusk Golem thought about Home or Lone Survivor or whatever he was playing at the time?
I've just asked if people would be interested/wouldn't mind in having the reviews from previous/next thread compiled somewhere.
And FYI, I did effin post a game impression yesterday.
He's not angry at the idea of collecting reviews in one thread, he's annoyed by the fact that you even had to come up with the idea because good posts are being lost in a flood of posts about pancakes and Elizabeth Olsen.

Parsnip

Well, I don't feel like I have been around long enough to offer any kind of valid opinion on what Steam thread should be like and what direction it should take in the future, so here's some game impressions instead.

Finished the first part of Dark Souls 2 DLC. Still love the game. All bosses were fun, had some serious trouble with the
trio, because of how super aggressive they are. Those two guys are just on you all the time, and then when you think you have a second to breath and take a sip of that sweet sweet estus nectar, you'll probably get a big god damn arrow on your back.
Still had a lot of fun. Disappointed that
cutting the tail from the dragon boss didn't give me a weapon.
Also slightly disappointed at the new gear, at least the stuff I found. Not really rivaling anything I have from base game, so still rocking the same gear after I finished it.

The level design is great. The way it's layered reminds me a lot of Undead Burg. But it also has this weird claustrophobic feel to it, lot of tight corridors and such. Love it. Difficulty feels about the same as the base game. I'm still on NG there though, I can imagine that on NG+ and onwards some of the bosses would be pretty hairy.

Tellaerin

For people who give away a lot of games, does it really bother you if someone doesn't play it right away?

I'm terrible at playing games I have many games that I bought full price new. I really wanted them. I intended to play them right away. Months later, I still haven't played them. I do that with give away games as well. I don't know what is wrong with me. I honestly don't know what I'm going to play. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate them or I have horrible backlog control. Its just the present me isn't very good at predicting what the future me if going to want to do.

I can understand where you're coming from. I feel playing games shouldn't feel like a chore, so people shouldn't force themselves to play Game X if they're really jonesing for some Game Y. It's not always possible to tell what's going to grab us at any given moment, either. (Case in point: I've had Binary Domain since November. I've been looking forward to playing it for ages, but only this past week did I actually get around to installing it. I started the game, liked it a lot... and then I had a good run in Risk of Rain. I unlocked a new character I really enjoy playing (Acrid) that's opened up more of the game for me, so now I keep going back to it instead of Binary Domain when I have time to play.)

I've said for awhile now that a backlog shouldn't feel like an obligation, and that extends to people feeling obliged to play something now because it was a gift. Better that they play it when they really want to, and are going to get the most enjoyment out of it. That's the whole point, after all.

derExperte

Do you like hidden objects games? This has a bit more going on like using an item at the right place and other logic puzzles but overall it's mostly that. If yes and you want something to spend maybe three hours in without getting challenged all too much buy it. Artifex Mundi's games also look relatively nice, I'd say they're among the best in that genre.

Well, I don't feel like I have been around long enough to offer any kind of valid opinion on what Steam thread should be like and what direction it should take in the future, so here's some game impressions instead.

Finished the first part of Dark Souls 2 DLC. Still love the game. All bosses were fun, had some serious trouble with the
trio, because of how super aggressive they are. Those two guys are just on you all the time, and then when you think you have a second to breath and take a sip of that sweet sweet estus nectar, you'll probably get a big god damn arrow on your back.
Still had a lot of fun. Disappointed that
cutting the tail from the dragon boss didn't give me a weapon.
Also slightly disappointed at the new gear, at least the stuff I found. Not really rivaling anything I have from base game, so still rocking the same gear after I finished it.

The level design is great. The way it's layered reminds me a lot of Undead Burg. But it also has this weird claustrophobic feel to it, lot of tight corridors and such. Love it. Difficulty feels about the same as the base game. I'm still on NG there though, I can imagine that on NG+ and onwards some of the bosses would be pretty hairy.

About how long did it take you to run through it?

Hugstable

Banned
He's not angry at the idea of collecting reviews in one thread, he's annoyed by the fact that you even had to come up with the idea because good posts are being lost in a flood of posts about pancakes and Elizabeth Olsen.

What? Where is this flood of pancakes? This topic has been alot of Steam discussion recently, but are you seriously just gonna pick out a few moments and posts and call it a flood? Alot of people are talking about Steam games all the time and there are new games getting released everyday, and just today 2 new bundles.

Do you like hidden objects games? This has a bit more going on like using an item at the right place and other logic puzzles but overall it's mostly that. If yes and you want something to spend maybe three hours in without getting challenged all too much buy it. Artifex Mundi's games also look relatively nice, I'd say they're among the best in that genre.

Seems pretty interesting so far. I like the gameplay even though I'm not a big fan of the animations or the artstyle much

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gimme a few minutes and ill hook ya up jase.

<3

Games received: 0 (I don't enter giveaways)
Games/DLC given away: 1,527
Unclaimed keys: 16
Best game received: N/A

Killer is Dead for 7&#8364;: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1994-killer-is-dead-nightmare-edition

Haven't tried it but JaseC said that you can avoid the regional restriction by using VPN while putting the game into the cart before buying.

Yeah, I had to do so to buy Football Manager 2014 late last year (Sega, surprisingly, decided to belatedly remove the runtime-level region-lock on the BR sub). FlyVPN is free and has servers in South America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom