• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strazyplus

t1406217600z1.png

Its gonna be out in 5 minutes but... Steam is down!

Anteater

The clunkiness with TR underworld's controls is kind of off putting, most of them aren't exactly a big deal and it's not like it's a vanquish tps that requires you to be super precise with your moments, but the little control issues here and there when you're running around doing simple platforming are incredibly unpleasant, character is slow to respond especially with all the canned animations (they also look so stiff), walking near edges or some portion of the level will pause your character movement forcing the player to flick the stick to get her unstuck (sometimes it even takes a few seconds to get her to start moving again), there are a lot of movement issues with environments interaction as well I keep running into, character flickers when walking over certain ledges and objects, heck I've had it happened walking on flat ground.

The rest of the game is ok so far and I quite like it, but the controls really need some more polishing because it feels like I'm controlling an alpha version of Nathan Drake but with all of Lara's acrobatic skills.

Backlogger

For people who give away a lot of games, does it really bother you if someone doesn't play it right away?

I'm terrible at playing games I have many games that I bought full price new. I really wanted them. I intended to play them right away. Months later, I still haven't played them. I do that with give away games as well. I don't know what is wrong with me. I honestly don't know what I'm going to play. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate them or I have horrible backlog control. Its just the present me isn't very good at predicting what the future me if going to want to do.

I honestly don't think about it. The way I see it as soon as I post up a game I lose all rights to caring about how that person ends up using it. The only thing that would upset me is if they broke the selling/trading rules, outside of that I don't think about it.

Additionally, the Modbot rules help. I have done giveaways with what I felt were decent games (nothing on the Subzero/Shadownet level =p) and for those I will usually add some NOLURKER or blacklist type rules to it, but even then I still don't go check the winners activity on Steam to see if they are playing it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
old? new bundlestars

vector
montas
rush for glory
steel & steam
sugar cube bitersweet factory
ionball 2
growing pains
clockwork tales of glass and ink

also about to stream some planet explorers if you want to see what its about or are on the fence about it or are bored :p

chronomac

Games received: 0 (I don't enter giveaways)
Games/DLC given away: 1,527
Unclaimed keys: 16
Best game received: N/A

Very nice.

Here are those unclaimed keys I mentioned:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Company of Heroes 2 Soviet Skin Four Color Belorussian -- MB-AB65D4C49B10344A - Taken by GUN-NAC
Hitman 2 -- MB-90AD60AE5192B740 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Company of Heroes 2 German Commander Storm Doctrine -- MB-F6A3C977776DFE39 - Taken by GUN-NAC
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-EDEA228B53F5FA1B - Taken by bluechox2
Total War Rome II Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack -- MB-5C3C994C9E73EF1D - Taken by AcademicSaucer
Tidalis (CD Key) -- MB-2E4F3C262712C4BF - Taken by swx
Company of Heroes 2 Soviet Commander Conscripts Support Tactics -- MB-7B1D5AA27F273398 - Taken by zeroOman
Company of Heroes 2 German Skin Four Color Disruptive Pattern -- MB-A38E167DEABD9E02 - Taken by cardinalmind

Jawmuncher

I wonder if perhaps we should have a tier above mega givers. But then I guess you'll really start to limit participants the higher it could go.

aku:jiki

Whoever plays this first please tell me what happens if you kill off survivors ASAP.
I'm
Talking first turn of the game
I haven't played it and have only seen videos of the first scenario but wouldn't the cops obviously rush in and kill you? There's not much of a hostage standoff if you don't have any hostages.

Jawmuncher

I haven't played it and have only seen videos of the first scenario but wouldn't the cops obviously rush in and kill you? There's not much of a hostage standoff if you don't have any hostages.

Well looks like its already different from the flash game by a mile. There was no hostages in that one.

Dr Dogg

I'm not sure why you're so angry at the idea, I've raised a (valid IMO) point that the (sometimes amazing, really) reviews/impressions posted here are being lost to time. Because seriously, do you remember the reviews that were posted 3 threads back? Do you want to go through 200 pages just to see what Dusk Golem thought about Home or Lone Survivor or whatever he was playing at the time?
I've just asked if people would be interested/wouldn't mind in having the reviews from previous/next thread compiled somewhere.
And FYI, I did effin post a game impression yesterday.

Sorry if that came across as aggressive or angry. Granted throwing the odd expletive in there didn't help matters and communication via text alone is hard to convey my exact emotion at the time. But here's the thing if the thread is failing is one of it's functions, ie; offering up visible impressions (which I look a bit silly now as I missed yours about Teslagrad, a game I too have posted about in this thread) then it kind of points to there being issues that would be better addressed than the solution proposed. I mean how many people even read the OT every thread? Mores to the point how many people engaged you in discussion about Terslagrad (
I'm only two bosses down and really struggling on the scrolls as some are a bit of a pain to get unless you time things right it feels. And I totally get your map complaints as I had to make my bloody own to know which I had missed and where everything is
)

I hate using them but here's a rubbish analogy regards to collating impressions in a wiki to aide visibility instead of dealing with what is causing the issue at hand is like losing your front door keys but instead enter and exit your house via the windows instead of finding your keys or calling a locksmith. It's a solution but I don't feel it's the right one.

Well, I don't feel like I have been around long enough to offer any kind of valid opinion on what Steam thread should be like and what direction it should take in the future, so here's some game impressions instead.

Finished the first part of Dark Souls 2 DLC. Still love the game. All bosses were fun, had some serious trouble with the
trio, because of how super aggressive they are. Those two guys are just on you all the time, and then when you think you have a second to breath and take a sip of that sweet sweet estus nectar, you'll probably get a big god damn arrow on your back.
Still had a lot of fun. Disappointed that
cutting the tail from the dragon boss didn't give me a weapon.
Also slightly disappointed at the new gear, at least the stuff I found. Not really rivaling anything I have from base game, so still rocking the same gear after I finished it.

The level design is great. The way it's layered reminds me a lot of Undead Burg. But it also has this weird claustrophobic feel to it, lot of tight corridors and such. Love it. Difficulty feels about the same as the base game. I'm still on NG there though, I can imagine that on NG+ and onwards some of the bosses would be pretty hairy.

I'm so tempted to take the plunge on the Season Pass despite a ways to go in the main game but I keep seeing people posting pics and playing it that I might snap out of fear of getting spoilered. How long is it roughly?

And what does this have to do with "spreading or wings" and visiting other parts of the forum? lol

Well I don't really know how to reply to your post but maybe, just maybe that Off Topic chat would be best served in the Off Topic section of the forum hmmm? You never know you might meet some people you would have never talked to before but actually in a topic on a related subject. You might even hit it off but if you're just going to camp in one thread you'll never really find out will you.

I think it's fair to say that, while i admire telltale's attempt at making episodic gaming with seasons and whatnot a thing, their games work MUCH better played within a small period of time, like after the whole season is done.

I've been playing TWAU (got it for nice and cheap during the summer sale) and i can't even imagine waiting 2-3 months between episodes. There are small details that i miss now, as it is. If i had that much time between episodes then forget it, i'd be lost for the first couple of minutes just getting things back in order in my wee brain.

It also lets you move on from a meh episode and get right back into the swing of things. I found episode 2 to be kinda middling but 3 so far has been leagues better. If i had to sit there and stew in my disappointment for months i think i wouldn't be in a rush to get back into the swing of things later, when telltale decides to give me my next drop.

TDLR: you're probably better off waiting for the full season of a telltale product to be out to play it as a complete experience as well as save yourself some grief and money.

iosefe

repost
====
Here's a raffle for JUNIORS!
good luck, new comrades!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iosefe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-9EDAABFFB38BA116 - Taken by Hugstable
Fractal -- MB-133A935FC1EC733A - Taken by danhese007
McPixel -- MB-546B773AD0BD449B - Taken by Ghazi
Waking Mars -- MB-6B883F90B62CCD92 - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.

t1406225561z1.png

Ventara

My stats

Games received: 23
Games/DLC given away: 3
Unclaimed keys: 0
Best Game Received: Wasteland 2 or Transistor

Don't hate me. I promise to try to give away more stuff!

derExperte

Seems pretty interesting so far. I like the gameplay even though I'm not a big fan of the animations or the artstyle much

Those games are basically comfort food. They all follow the same template, look kinda like each other, puzzles start repeating if you've played two or three, stories are derivative and the voice actors.... yeah. But I'll still keep buying every Artifex Mundi release on Steam, you know what you'll get. Plus relatively high card prices shortly after release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While not as impressive as JaseC:

Games received: 36
Games/DLC given away: 467
Unclaimed keys: 38
Best game received: Hard to say. I won Dead Rising 3 which I am immensely looking forward to. I also won The Banner Saga which I really like.

louiedog

I think it's fair to say that, while i admire telltale's attempt at making episodic gaming with seasons and whatnot a thing, their games work MUCH better played within a small period of time, like after the whole season is done.

I've been playing TWAU (got it for nice and cheap during the summer sale) and i can't even imagine waiting 2-3 months between episodes. There are small details that i miss now, as it is. If i had that much time between episodes then forget it, i'd be lost for the first couple of minutes just getting things back in order in my wee brain.

It also lets you move on from a meh episode and get right back into the swing of things. I found episode 2 to be kinda middling but 3 so far has been leagues better. If i had to sit there and stew in my disappointment for months i think i wouldn't be in a rush to get back into the swing of things later, when telltale decides to give me my next drop.

TDLR: you're probably better off waiting for the full season of a telltale prodcut to be out to play it as a complete experience as well as save yourself some grief and money.

I disagree. While 2-3 months is excessive (well, after whatever issue happened between 1 and 2, it was never that long. 6-8 weeks is more like it), I like taking a week or so in between episodes of game that are made that way.

aku:jiki

Well looks like its already different from the flash game by a mile. There was no hostages in that one.
Oh, I thought that was what you meant by survivors. In the first scenario in this one, you're trying to hack something while keeping hostages you use to keep the cops at bay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Games received: 17
Games/DLC given away: 567
Unclaimed keys: none I dont fuck around
Best game received: err...price wise? Transistor, besides that and Shovel Knight it was all bundle keys

6 left
Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-781F2566F94293C0 - Taken by devonodev. 2 entrants total.
Agricultural Simulator 2013 -- MB-8B64DA5EF3CA9CA6 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.
Draw a Stickman -- MB-5589364FE5B4BD04
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming -- MB-20EC22D4884AE011 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Galcon Legends -- MB-6241130980637245 - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-EA2F6D847A0A3884

Jawmuncher

TDLR: you're probably better off waiting for the full season of a telltale prodcut to be out to play it as a complete experience as well as save yourself some grief and money.

I agree. Can't imagine waiting that long between episodes. Especially when TTs release schedule can be so sporadic. It kills the flow more than anything in something that should be a story expierence.

Yeah, the flash game was a short gamecompo thing (and kinda meh).

Ok. Guess I was very unfairly using that as more of a judge towards the full game then I should have.

Hugstable

Banned
Games received: 26
Games/DLC given away: 13
Unclaimed keys: 0
Best game received: Civilization V and Guacamelee easily are the best I've won. Both amazing.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
ModBot said:
ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-4561DD0F7106B552 - Taken by MMBosstones86. 2 entrants total.
Gratuitous Space Battles -- MB-7CB560FDF219F46C - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Anomaly 2 -- MB-D26EC1DBCB2A5B5E - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-E5BCB524BC26ACEB - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-DAF6597FB1FDD64C
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-678C29D718DE7BE6

t1406218780z1.png
Some unclaimed stuff

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sugar Cube Bittersweet Factory -- MB-5F1EFDBB4677A3A8 - Taken by GaussTek. 1 entrants total.
Montas -- MB-581B031CB6A4760B - Taken by Gintoki. 2 entrants total.
Rush for Glory -- MB-CF2D2D3C69FA6992

t1406219144z1.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
As a person who has been in every Steam thread since the beginning, I can say that the current state of the thread is categorically worse than what usually happens after a major sales event. However, we all have to shoulder the blame on this one a little bit as there is actually very little behavior you can call out a newer poster for that hasn't, in some way, been done by a veteran poster before.

These new posters aren't the first to post literally just a "Good morning, SteamGAF!" comment. There's just now more people doing it and, more importantly, these people haven't built up a reputation yet. Is any of the off-topic stuff being posted now any worse than the 3DS tangents we'd go on?

What I'm trying to say is: we created a certain culture in here, and we didn't get too upset about things because it was only a few posts and, "oh, hey, it's Morningbus. He's posted in here forever, so why am I going to get on his case about M&M codes?"

So, what are the problems?

1) There are a lot of new people. This shouldn't be a problem, but it becomes one because...

2) We've set a poor example of what's acceptable in the thread.

How do we fix it?

1) More on-topic, more of the time. We don't have to be robots parsing the world for scraps of news related to Steam, but we also don't need to know about your breakfast.

2) Proportion. Think about your post as part of a larger collection of posts. Is your gif really necessary to hammer home a reaction, or did the five other gif posts before you basically run the gamut of human emotion?

3) Self-moderation. It's time we start asking ourselves a hard and simple truth: who gives a shit? Why am I posting what I'm posting as I'm posting it? If you can't really come up with a reason that doesn't sound like it should belong in a chatroom, it may be time to rethink your post.

Turfster

Ok. Guess I was very unfairly using that as more of a judge towards the full game then I should have.

Eh, I've done the same thing.
I was hyped, until I played that thing, which totally killed my hype.
Not a very good way for them to sell the game, to be honest.
They'd probably better released a new segment from the actual full game.

Parsnip

About how long did it take you to run through it?
I'm so tempted to take the plunge on the Season Pass despite a ways to go in the main game but I keep seeing people posting pics and playing it that I might snap out of fear of getting spoilered. How long is it roughly?
I'll check for more accurate time as soon as Steam Community is up, but I'd say I took around 6 hours. I'm very slow and meticulous player though, so it may not represent how long it takes at an average.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Sugar Cube Bittersweet Factory -- MB-E156DC572F2D8D30 - Taken by Lurra. 1 entrants total.
Montas -- MB-0B074B928AB21266 - Taken by tylergregg. 4 entrants total.
Rush For Glory -- MB-70DC42385D107C02 - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.

t1406219382z1.png

Still available

RADICAL ROACH DELUXE EDITION -- MB-B53CF3445E9F12B2 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 2 entrants total.
N.P.P.D. RUSH THE MILK OF ULTRAVIOLET -- MB-67DAF14691A67490 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.

Does anyone have Civ 5 Brave New World that they'd trade for keys/sell?
Ok, am on my laptop now. Just looked on Nuveem.
Gods & Kings @ 6€
Brave New World @ 6€
Civilization V Complete @ 10€ it includes not only two aforementioned ones but every DLC! It's steamworks, so despite saying MAC version you get PC+MAC versions once you reddem the key.

I bought the Complete Edition yesterday despite owning Civ V base because as you can see it's a much better deal.
Just a heads up: If you live in a country where purchases are region-locked (not the games itself!), you should get the browser addon Hola. This way you can buy everything without problems. That's what I did.
Hope this helps you.

Altazor

I'm a bit of a slow player. I like to take my time in Dark Souls/DS2 exploring and checking out if there are traps and stuff like that. I started the DLC content and played for about 2 or 3 hours and I don't think I'm near the end yet - I haven't even reached one of the bosses yet! I think if you kinda pick up the pace, then the DLC should be about 4-5 hours tops, maybe a bit more if you get stuck on a boss. I guess.

The level design is superb, btw. Not just from a gameplay standpoint, with its labyrinthine architecture, but also from an atmosphere one: it feels ancient, alien and claustrophobic. Something a big part of DS2 was missing.

Sini

I found out that I have two unclaimed keys.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SinineSiil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-4315FAC9EF2FFACF - Taken by Blak_Status
HOARD -- MB-2622887AAD130F85 - Taken by Interfectum
I've gotten 17 games (14 if I don't count already redeemed gifts and one mystery gift that was just "Winner") and given away 83 games. (85 if I count two accidental already redeemed keys.)
Best game I have gotten is Botanicula.

How DayZ stays in the top sellers list for months, I'll never know. It's gotta be right behind Minecraft for most successful independent game by now.

I've got some more giving away to do. I have actually given more than gotten if you include games sent through other means than modbot, but hope to give a lot more in the future as well. No huge wins here, as almost all of my wins and gives are bundle-level. But I do appreciate each one, have played or plan to play all, and definitely want to play more Speedrunners with you guys especially!

Games received: 18
Games/DLC given away: 10
Unclaimed keys: 4
Best game received: Speedrunners!

Phinor

As a person who has been in every Steam thread since the beginning, I can say that the current state of the thread is categorically worse than what usually happens after a major sales event. However, we all have to shoulder the blame on this one a little bit as there is actually very little behavior you can call out a newer poster for that hasn't, in some way, been done by a veteran poster before.

I've been reading these threads for few years but I don't post that often. Sometimes I find deals not yet posted, sometimes reply to few questions and such. And that being said, I completely agree with your whole post. Steam threads are now roughly 90% chat, 10% actually relevant stuff. Obviously giveaways add a lot of posts as well.

One thing I'd like to see less is images and gifs. They are sometimes great way to respond to something, but when you have 30 images on a 50 post page, it's a bit much. And then those same images are being quoted multiple times, and the responses are often images as well. And usually the gifs had nothing to do with Steam or even games in the first place.

Just my two (or is it five these days?) cents, carry on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom