• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, i finished Watch Dogs earlier this week, and thought it would be interesting to post my steam review of it.
e81d0fd753.png

An absurdly missed oppurtunity of a game, and that makes me really sad.
First, is quite different to what was promised. Yeah, most games end up changing over their developement, but the state of this game is ridiculous: When your main character clips through his clothes, or the game physics make me feel like i'm on the moon, something really must have gone wrong.
With that said, let's address the common things in games:
The plot... is not really good. I mean, the concept is interesting(a world of people's information in your hands), but the execution is done poorly. IMO, it's because of the characters and the pacing of the game. If you people to feel something/connected to Aiden, give him charisma, or do not make the first thing he does in the game morally wrong(the Merlaut Hotel Job). Pacing wise, it feels like the game starts really slow then out of nowhere characters start doing stuff they shouldn't be doing or at least things that weren't foreshadowed, at least for me. Damian goes from someone who wants to know why things happened the way the did after the Merlaut, and out of nowhere wants to be the god of CtOs.
Gameplay – i'm sorta conflicted abou it. For some reason i cant really explain why, the shooting was incredibly satisfying for me and i loved doing the gang hideout missions. But yeah, everything besides that was lacking: Driving was really boring, to the point where I found myself fast traveling to the “quick travel” points almost exclusively; hacking got old after a while; side missions weren't very good, etc.
I know it’s a matter of taste but I really disliked the radio too, only a handful of famous songs and not many “good” songs of the genres that were there so I ended up enabling 2-4 songs and listening to them in a loop.
Finally, the game (on PC) is not that well optimised. GTAIV runs better then WD and that’s really something.
So yeah, do not buy this game – It will obviously have a sequel where they might get it “perfect” but this game is far from perfection.

Watch Dogs never grabbed me in the same way AssCreed or even GTA4 did, and honestly, I'd attribute a fair portion of that to Ubisoft trying to blur the lines between SP and MP -- it's no secret that I'm a completionist, so you can imagine my dismay when I discovered (to no surprise, I should add) that MP and the "social" component have a far larger role this time around than in Black Flag. I know Unity's going to be structured similarly and it's breaking my heart. :(

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Madridy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Witcher -- MB-D6FB2369CE0C729E - Taken by InvisibleStride. 15 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings -- MB-5E9A58596EA2AA97 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 21 entrants total.

t1406223457z1.png

drotahorror

20min til Darkwood baby. Hope there's an OT.

Okay, this is ridiculous. I just bought a game and put it in my inventory. I WANT MY INVENTORY STEAM

Yeah I've been idling CSGO idle servers for about 5 hours and I'm waiting on steam to get their shit straight before I close out of it.

You know if you're worried about impressions getting less visibility you could always post your own or at least engage others about their impressions rather than they slew of random musings, shitposts, off topic and chatroom style rubbish that get's posted. It's not there's anything stopping anyone from posting their own views on a game they have played or engaging with others as long as you're civil about it. MRORANGE has asked participants if this thread to give him write ups for titles you're looking forward to and in the past has asked others to give him impressions of what you played in the last month but scarcely anybody does. Though some people are happy to post about they had a hair cut or about what they are having for dinner that evening or about some other non-Steam related personal or social issue. Some times not even being tactful and nesting their offtopic posts within others of substance so that it's just another post that adds nothing of substance to anything related to Steam.

And seriously a Wiki? You know you're on a discussion board right? Where the idea is you engage in discussion with others about an overarching topic at hand. This thread happens to be drilled down further to Steam so all things about Steam, including impressions of said games on the service fits the bill. So you'd rather take relatable discussion off site but still perpetuate unrelatable topics within this thread? How about moving off topic discussion out of this thread to a wiki? Could be why some of the people that used to post in here with their own impressions don't even come in here anymore?

I don't know why I bothered to poke my head in here today despite saying I wasn't (must be really fucking bored I guess) but reading Spring-Loaded's and RionaaM's as well as a few others conversation about the Batman Arkham series was on of the few things of note posted here. Asides from a few impressions from Dusk and Rhaknar the rest felt like they were posts lasting no more than a sentence or two of little to no substance. For me over the past year not only has the quality of posts dropped off significantly around here but the quantity of quality posts has diminished as well. I hold my hands up for playing a part in the demise somewhat but over the past couple of months I've tried to help turn things around, good grief have I tried but it's a monumental task requiring a majority to pull in the same direction. I've tired to post impressions, I've tried to engage others on theirs, I've tried to curtail derailing the thread but I've got to the point now that I feel like I'm wasting my time posting in here.

Though that's just my take I'm going to fuck off out of your everyones way but if this is what people really want then I have no idea why this thread isn't in community already

I never noticed MRORANGE asking for game impressions and I only ever skim through the steam OPs once each thread. I'd be willing to do something like that for a few games that I've really gotten into, I just hadn't known that was a thing, and I think that goes for a lot of other people.

And i was thankful that all of you posted those impressions as now i know to not set the bar too high for Arkham City. It also made me want to play it sooner just to get back in here and see which impression resonated with me the best.

People tend to sell AC short coming right off of AA; I wouldn't suggest you set the bar lower for your expectations, but instead keep in mind that it may take more than just a quick run-through of the game to appreciate all the improvements it brings. I talk about a lot of that here, in case you didn't see it

Parsnip

I don't know who Elizabeth Olsen is.

I find a lot of people using red eye orb to invade in Iron Keep bridge, it's super annoying when you are trying to summon your friend to coop or duel.
In the DLC there's a bonfire right before the last boss, and I was invaded there right after having lost to the boss. Felt like a really weird place for an invasion.

There are couple of those those elevators with a step-on button in the middle, and during one invasion battle I was backing away from the invader, stepped on the button to activate it and as he followed, he got stuck in the descending elevator. I then did a drop attack on him, felt great.

Are you on NG+?
Nope, still NG.

aku:jiki

3) Self-moderation. It's time we start asking ourselves a hard and simple truth: who gives a shit? Why am I posting what I'm posting as I'm posting it? If you can't really come up with a reason that doesn't sound like it should belong in a chatroom, it may be time to rethink your post.
The sad part is that I feel that way about valid posts now. I typed up like 7 paragraphs of thoughts about Betrayer yesterday, but deleted them as I just felt like they'd be drowned inbetween 80 posts about waifus and pancakes and no one would care. Not that I would expect anyone to care about my impressions of an unpopular game regardless, but still, that's just wrong.

Well this was goddamn personal attack if I ever see one.
Very astute observation, sir. See if you can find the one in this post.

So, i finished Watch Dogs earlier this week, and thought it would be interesting to post my steam review of it.
e81d0fd753.png

First, is quite different to what was promised. Yeah, most games end up changing over their developement, but the state of this game is ridiculous: When your main character clips through his clothes, or the game physics make me feel like i'm on the moon, something really must have gone wrong.
The plot... is not really good. I mean, the concept is interesting(a world of people's information in your hands), but the execution is done poorly. IMO, it's because of the characters and the pacing of the game. If you people to feel something/connected to Aiden, give him charisma, or do not make the first thing he does in the game morally wrong(the Merlaut Hotel Job). Pacing wise, it feels like the game starts really slow then out of nowhere characters start doing stuff they shouldn't be doing or at least things that weren't foreshadowed, at least for me. Damian goes from someone who wants to know why things happened the way the did after the Merlaut, and out of nowhere wants to be the god of CtOs.
Gameplay – i'm sorta conflicted abou it. For some reason i cant really explain why, the shooting was incredibly satisfying for me and i loved doing the gang hideout missions. But yeah, everything besides that was lacking: Driving was really boring, to the point where I found myself fast traveling to the “quick travel” points almost exclusively; hacking got old after a while; side missions weren't very good, etc.
I know it’s a matter of taste but I really disliked the radio too, only a handful of famous songs and not many “good” songs of the genres that were there so I ended up enabling 2-4 songs and listening to them in a loop.
Finally, the game (on PC) is not that well optimised. GTAIV runs better then WD and that’s really something.
So yeah, do not buy this game – It will obviously have a sequel where they might get it “perfect” but this game is far from perfection.

Your review is pretty much spot on how I felt about the game. I've resigned myself to just slog through it to get it over with, but I really felt like it could have been something far greater if it wasn't so dull. Dull story, dull characters, dull missions. I think if they make a sequel (which seems likely at this point) I hope they'll learn from the first one and make it the game it should have been.

I also agree with your point about the music. I usually just have it off because of that. What's worse is you have to hack people to unlock more songs, which I think is a really silly idea.

Shadownet

Banned
I used to agree with this, but if you (the royal you, meaning anyone) write a post with impressions on a game, discussion of changes in the beta client, and an alpaca, you're going to get a flood of responses to the alpaca and none to the actual content.

I missed those too. I used to catch up on the thread whenever I got back from, like, sleeping or whatever, but lately the signal to noise ratio has been practically zero.

Did you miss the wall of posts talking about changed to beta client yesterday? Or even when jshackles was talking about implementing a new feature with enhanced steam?

Games received: 0 (I don't enter giveaways)
Games/DLC given away: 1,527
Unclaimed keys: 16
Best game received: N/A
Woah. Do you already work with the big hitter in the movie business or how can you give so much? Very generous.
Won very good games and gave, too. Mostly bundle stuff though.
If I'd work and earn money though..
Football Manager 2014 late last year (Sega, surprisingly, decided to belatedly remove the runtime-level region-lock on the BR sub). FlyVPN is free and has servers in South America.
I have used FlyVPN and it is a viable option, especially for activating keys on Steam which usually are blocked for activation from you respective region.
But for purchasing from Nuveem I can wholeheartedly advice Hola addon for FF/Chrome.
It's less of a hassle, faster and overall more convenient.

Jawmuncher

e81d0fd753.png

Looks like your feelings is exactly how I felt when I saw a friend playing it for about an hour or two. With all of the excitement surrounding it the release product just didn't look worthy. Looks like I'll be waiting for a 10 dollar price.

Ozium

The sad part is that I feel that way about valid posts now. I typed up like 7 paragraphs of thoughts about Betrayer yesterday, but deleted them as I just felt like they'd be drowned inbetween 80 posts about waifus and pancakes and no one would care. Not that I would expect anyone to care about my impressions of an unpopular game regardless, but still, that's just wrong.

noooo I want to hear your thoughts on Betrayer.. from what I've seen you have a good eye for games and I've only put an hour or so into Betrayer and would love to hear impressions.

I made it to the first fort, rang the bell, and found some notes but now I have no idea where to go lol

Anteater

I just got to the part with the police station in the longest journey in chapter 3, was wondering how to swap that eyeball and it turns out I forgot to take out an eyeball from a monkey toy I got from chapter 1 before using it in a puzzle in chapter 2, so I had to backtrack all the way back, fuck.

Such a pessimistic attitude, game reviews are always welcomed and not ignored.

Turfster

I just got to the part with the police station in the longest journey in chapter 3, was wondering how to swap that eyeball and it turns out I forgot to take out an eyeball from a monkey toy I got from chapter 1 before using it in a puzzle in chapter 2, so I had to backtrack all the way back, fuck.

Yeah, for all the love TLJ gets, some of its puzzles are really horribly designed.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Savant - Ascent
header_292x136.jpg

Genre: Arcade Shooter
+Lovely Art
+Catchy OST
+Simplistic but addictive gameplay
-Too short.

For the price I really cant complain much about the length. The game is very fun to play and getting higher scores is always neat. I would love a sequel with more content, stages, characters, enemies, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I used to agree with this, but if you (the royal you, meaning anyone) write a post with impressions on a game, discussion of changes in the beta client, and an alpaca, you're going to get a flood of responses to the alpaca and none to the actual content.

To be clear, by "list stuff" I meant items like the ModBot stats and "What do you hope the next Humble Bundle is?" Steam-related bits and bobs. Quote-chains featuring alpacas and the like ties into what I said the other day about restraint being more important than ever due to the marked increase in active users these threads now have.

Woah. Do you already work with the big hitter in the movie business or how can you give so much? Very generous.
Won very good games and gave, too. Mostly bundle stuff though.
If I'd work and earn money though..

99% of it is just bundle junk. I did two major bundle keys giveaways in a separate thread that account for somewhere between a third and a half of the figure.

I was looking at my friends list and notice that 28 of them own Hitman Absolution, but only 14 of them own Hitman Blood Money...these are sad times we're living in.

Also, I'm playing Hitman Contracts for the first time and it's pretty damn awesome.

getting ready for the hl3 stealth release.

Also, how is Batman AO? Is it more like AA or AC?
I just replayed AA and I forgot how disappointing the final boss. AC is still fresh in my memory from when I replayed a few months ago and I preferred AA's more concise story compared to how AC was too big for its own good.

Origins is more like City than Asylum, but really it's like a nice blend of both. The story is a bit more focused while you still have the freedom to explore Gotham. Combat is similar, but the big change in Origins is they increased the 'aggressiveness' of the A.I. It's something that requires a bit of time to adjust too, but the first section might hit you pretty hard until then.

I consider Origins to be the superior Arkham game, can't wait to see what they do with Knight.

That seems pretty defeatist, to be honest. I think that is kind of the opposite reaction that morningbus proposed, which I personally felt were pretty good thoughts.

I think more impressions are always welcomed, even by those that post more OT than you'd like.

Toki767

I do think Watch Dogs at least had one of the best controls for gunplay in any open world game so far. Miles ahead of GTA, although I haven't played GTA V yet so I don't know if it's gotten better. I also liked the strategic element of hacking into an area and killing off enemies before even stepping foot into the area.

Caerith

I would have liked to have read your impressions. I mean I probably wouldn't have even seen that post unless I just happened to be looking at the thread when you posted it, but still. I don't know anything about Betrayer and first-hand accounts are always more interesting than digging up a review.

To be clear, by "list stuff" I meant items like the ModBot stats and "What do you hope the next Humble Bundle is?" Steam-related bits and bobs. Quote-chains featuring alpacas and the like ties into what I said the other day about restraint being more important than ever due to the marked increase in active users these threads now have.
I used "alpaca" as shorthand for fluffposting that didn't really add any value, but you're right that there's a qualitative difference even if there isn't a quantitative one.

Deitus

And on the flip side, I have deleted a number of posts I've written, because it feels like everyone it too busy arguing about whether this thread is ruined or not that no one would care about my on topic post. I think calling out behavior when it happens is absolutely merited, but the constant "X is ruining this thread" posts, especially when they happen hours after the offending posts, are every bit as much a derailment as a handful of pancake gifs or whatever.

If you are going get personal, keep it to PMs please.

Savant - Ascent
header_292x136.jpg

+Lovely Art
+Catchy OST
-Too short.

For the price I really cant complain much about the length. The game is very fun to play and getting higher scores is always neat. I would love a sequel with more content, stages, characters, enemies, etc.

Did you collected all the golden discs?

Ban Puncher

Would having two Steam threads, one in Gaming and the other in Community, alleviate some of the issues that are causing friction between people? Steam news, game impressions and recommendations in one, pancake waifu haircut Modbot giveaways in the other.

I have 32GB of RAM so having two tabs open in Chrome could probably be done. I might still need to make a bootdisk.

Don't think no one reads them. I do, I just don't have much to say. I feel cheesy quoting a long post and saying "good write up."

derExperte

http://store.steampowered.com/news/13985/

Jagex Free Weekend
Announcement - Valve
Check out Ace of Spades: Battle Builder and Carnage Racing for FREE starting now through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time. You can also pickup Ace of Spades: Battle Builder and Carnage Racing at up to 80% off the regular price!*

If you already have Steam installed, click here to install and play Ace of Spades: Battle Builder or click here to install and play Carnage Racing until Sunday at 1PM Pacific.

If you don't have Steam, you can download it here.

*Offer ends Monday at 10AM Pacific Time

Oooookaaaay.....

Dead serious. Nabs will back me up on this because we ride hard for Arkham Origins.

I'm not saying I believe you yet but I obviously need some kind of kick in the butt to get back to the game so now I'm at least a bit intrigued.

Origins is more like City than Asylum, but really it's like a nice blend of both. The story is a bit more focused while you still have the freedom to explore Gotham. Combat is similar, but the big change in Origins is they increased the 'aggressiveness' of the A.I. It's something that requires a bit of time to adjust too, but the first section might hit you pretty hard until then.

I consider Origins to be the superior Arkham game, can't wait to see what they do with Knight.
I wish the story in Origins was more focused on the whole assassinating Batman thing since they sort of throw that stuff away around the half-way point and just make it focused on you-know-who.

Playing through AA and then AC and then going to AO I felt a bit tired with the whole analysis of the you know who and Batman.
Also why is it called Detective Vision in AO? It's a minor thing but I find it odd that in Arkham Asylum, City and Origins:Blackgate, it's called Detective Mode, but not in AO.

Savant - Ascent
header_292x136.jpg

+Lovely Art
+Catchy OST
-Too short.

Thanks for the impressions. I picked this up on the summer sale, and noticed it was in a new bundle more recently, of course, just like One Finger Death Punch.

Definitely looking forward to trying it out in between some meatier games.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
reposting ... and just in case I messed something up and Modbot doesn't cross stuff off this list - here's a link to the original post: link

here you go, guys :) and sorry it's nothing huge like some of the games that have been given out here lately ... but I really hope someone still finds these games cool :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 36 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-9DEF09682FEB4B98 - Taken by InfiniteNine
Thief Gold #2 -- MB-8513C1938B0AEA80 - Taken by Fuzzification
Thief Gold #3 -- MB-7CD3AD730E9EA349 - Taken by Loptous
Thief Gold #4 -- MB-ED8A75186E4485CF - Taken by Ruruja
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-BFDE16738A540AAD - Taken by Fuzzification
Hitman: Codename 47 #2 -- MB-04B11916706BDADF - Taken by Leg-End
Hitman: Codename 47 #3 -- MB-49B760F5647A9C82 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow
Hitman: Codename 47 #4 -- MB-2D048C009A2200A2 - Taken by Berto
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-16F7D565BBF5935A - Taken by -MD-
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #2 -- MB-C79194B59A6EAA1E - Taken by nightstorm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #3 -- MB-FFB1B7C2E809F93A - Taken by Kiru. 4 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin #4 -- MB-9968A278CC465280 - Taken by sprinkles. 2 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas -- MB-706987BC9D6330A6 - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 1 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #2 -- MB-D0823F391AC6D37C - Taken by pupo. 1 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #3 -- MB-8705E7BEFFFE5BC9 - Taken by salazar547. 4 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas #4 -- MB-D0BAFA2B69E604DF - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana -- MB-018B660E4BCB3354 - Taken by spindoctor. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana #2 -- MB-FD3B6B5F82F2E641 - Taken by fernandes. 1 entrants total.
Daikatana #3 -- MB-42A7CBC0946DDFA5 - Taken by Servizio. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana #4 -- MB-9CDDC4FBC5DF132E - Taken by Kyougar. 2 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-4B17CCCE776D33CB - Taken by ShogunX
Anachronox #2 -- MB-503151A22B8F597D - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Anachronox #3 -- MB-D7F5AC4D728BDC2C - Taken by Interfectum. 1 entrants total.
Anachronox #4 -- MB-FD5EDEF24FF58739 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-B31C8A31FEEDF7BA - Taken by Anustart. 3 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #2 -- MB-9100B43F995331D2 - Taken by dark_inferno. 2 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #3 -- MB-DB01449078C715AB - Taken by almostheathen. 7 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! #4 -- MB-B695B6B1F5DCFAA0 - Taken by Mavromatis. 5 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-89BC94B79FC7D9B7 - Taken by Driw3r. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #2 -- MB-3494C94B13D4EC3D - Taken by Sky Chief. 2 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #3 -- MB-D3A40EC53F2F71B1 - Taken by wetflame. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox #4 -- MB-0F4D723F6AC4E01E - Taken by Sendou. 2 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-6FAFA6C94FA4E19D - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #2 -- MB-FA9BD3CB87D07D4D - Taken by Dambrosi
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #3 -- MB-A12B1D2E9009A37B - Taken by lfvgt
Out of the Park Baseball 14 #4 -- MB-8A1BAC1BC707253D - Taken by saunderez

t1406221479z1.png

TDLR: you're probably better off waiting for the full season of a telltale product to be out to play it as a complete experience as well as save yourself some grief and money.

Completely agree. That's the main reason I havn't started TWAU despite actually managing a key when they did the bookface giveaway a while back. Same reason I'm waiting on TWD S2 and KR0.

I'm....not used to posting serious stuff.

But you are spot on. I've started filtering myself as well. There are so many times I type something useless up and then NOPE out of the tab without posting...mainly because no one would give a shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header_292x136.jpg

here's some quick impressions from about an hour of playing Planet Explorers (which, for this type of game, is nothing really). Planet Explorers is a game much like Terraria, Starbound, or Starforge, where you are dropped on some open world planet and you have to explore, dig and build shit. The idea of these games fascinates me but the lack of objectives usually in them always puts me off, and this is where I hope Planet Explorers will be better.

For one, there is a story mode. I dont know how long it will be or how involved, but for now, it feels like your typical rpg, only instead of them giving youa shovel or a sword to complete your objectives, they give you the blueprints for those things, and you need to craft them yourself before you can complete your objective. Early quests are pretty much tutorial stuff, as the lady you are helping is basically giving you all the basic tools you will need (shovel, pickaxe, weapon etc) while you fetch stuff for her to make medicine for herself and whatnot (get 10 wood and 5 animal fat to build a campfire), much like you would in any mmo.

Crafting interface seems simple enough to use, like I said you get blueprints for stuff and then can build them whenever you want on the fly (for now). From my short time with it I already had a dagger I started with, a axe, a sword and shield, a pickaxe, a shovel, a bed that I found in a box, a torch, an assortment of healing items and a shitload of plants that I harvested. And dirt, because you cant play these games without collecting a bunch of dirt.

The game is in alpha (I thought it was in beta actually) and sometimes it feels very much like a game in alpha. Collision detection is wonky, you right click on stuff to gather or loot but most of the time it wont register, you need to keep clicking, you left click to attack (theres actually some nice combat animations I was surprised) but because the collision detection is wonky it doesnt feel very satisfying, most of the time youre not sure youre hiting something, the world looks great but it seems to be barely populated for now (for example, I had an escort quest where the guy says "protect me from animals because im a doctor!"... we went to the location we had to go, which wasnt exactly close, got what we needed, went back, saw 1 lizard which never even attacked us :p), stuff like that. Nothing seems outright broken, just lacks a ton of polish. But it shows a ton of promise dont get me wrong. If they can clean this stuff up it will easily be my favorite of these type of games.

I love how colorful it looks, the world looks great, there seems to be a variety of weird monsters (even tho I barely saw any, the ones I saw looked good, including a giant...rhino...thing just walking around), and if the idea of a rpg / mmo (mmo in the gameplay sense I mean) with terraria style crafting and building is something that sounds appealing to you, give this a shot or at least keep an eye on it while it progresses.

planet_explorers_62753.jpg

Like I said I only played about an hour to get a sense of it, I didnt build houses or dug my way into oblivion, or made jetpacks and hanggliders and shit you see on screenshots. Besides the story mode there was an adventure mod, which just seemed to dump you on the planet and said "now go do shit I dunno!", and a multiplayer mode which I didnt try.

Turfster

Guys, guys, can't we all get along?

Some more 2K deals, for the people that missed the humble bundle:
Newegg has a Bioshock Triple Pack for 12$, for one day only.
Gamefly has a 2K sale:
  • BioShock Infinite 75% off
  • Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea Ep 1 & 2 50% off
  • Borderlands 2 GOTY 63% off
  • Civ V Complete 50% off
  • The Darkness II 80% off
  • Mafia II 75% off
  • NBA 2K14 67% off
  • Spec Ops The Line 80% off
  • The Bureau 80% off
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete 50% off (EU, EW and the 3 other DLCs)
Don't forget to use the 20% off coupon (UK)JUL20OFF where applicable.

Hugstable

Banned
EDIT: it doesn't matter much anyway and I'm over it. These arguments are way worse than these massive flood of "pancakes" could ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom