• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah let's try something new!

Left4Dead2 GafGameNight today at 22:30 CET ( 16:30 EST / 13:30 PST )
- We are going to play on the map Yama
- Hit the link and download the ZIP file timely (700MB)
- Extract the one file into SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons
- This will be a game of Versus - 4 against 4

- If we end up less than 8 player, we'll change the game type from Versus to Standard and play Yama campaign,

- Important! Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie/ so I can Invite you into the Lobby!

You're good to go now!

I am gonna eat now, so I'll answer later!

I can probably play... though I'm not really a fan of the L4D versus modes.

Whoa, whoa. What the hell, dude.

Heh.

I'm surprised he's allowed to claim anything at this point after yesterday's conversation.

Asylum >> City > Origins
If you're burned out, you can skip Origins. It's not part of the 'official' trilogy, but on its own it's worthwhile to play imo.

Loved Origins more than City.
And I fear that Knight is going to be the worst of them all... that Batmobile footage has me worried.

play on easy then? Dunno, just seems like typical overblown exageration when a hard game is new, just like when Dark Souls came out (and no, people didnt say it was "fair" at first, well, many didnt at least)

Many people still don't think Dark Souls is fair. :3

derExperte

I think Stump has mentioned before that users who end up on multiple givers' block lists become candidates for the global blacklist, so I think if we can just manage to get this zeroOman fellow on a few of those, well...

He's definitely on mine, anyway.

I'm sure he's on there by now but you still have to opt in by using....

BLACKLIST
This will apply the COMMUNITY block list to your giveaway. ModBot calculates users that have been frequently blocked by other users, and blocks those users from your giveaway. Want to avoid scammers but don't know who the scammers are? Use this rule.

Turfster

In the interim, I have failed the first scenario several times and I am not sure I like the cut of the game's jib in regards to why. More on this after I spend some time with it.

Does it still do the whole RNG ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES crap, without a valid explanation?

Hey!
Is anyone using Steam on a Mac? I'm trying to open the app but crashes on the startup, not showing anything. I'm with the latest system update...
Anyone? Please...

Works fine on the office mac mini.
I had to redownload and then wait for it to update for like, half an hour before anything happened the first time with the latest Steam version though.
(Also, since OSX is retarded, you need to go to the startup options, remove the "Steam folder" and readd the Steam application to make it open the actual application on system startup)
How does it crash?
Is it still running according to system monitor?

AHA-Lambda

play on easy then? Dunno, just seems like typical overblown exageration when a hard game is new, just like when Dark Souls came out (and no, people didnt say it was "fair" at first, well, many didnt at least)

I am playing it on easy, there are still elements that are just plain unfair.

For what it's worth, the Steam reviews are very mixed right now.

zeroOman

I think Stump has mentioned before that users who end up on multiple givers' block lists become candidates for the global blacklist, so I think if we can just manage to get this zeroOman fellow on a few of those, well...

what?

.Anema

Works fine on the office mac mini.
I had to redownload and then wait for it to update for like, half an hour before anything happened the first time though.
(Also, since OSX is retarded, you need to go to the startup options, remove the "Steam folder" and readd the Steam application to make it open the actual application on system startup)
How does it crash?
Is it still running according to system monitor?

I'll try this, thanks!

derExperte

arrived in my mailbox:

Neverending Nightmares is available to Beta Backers!

Hello all! Neverending Nightmares is coming along well, and I am pleased to announce that anyone who purchased Beta access either through kickstarter or on our website (http://www.neverendingnightmares.com/back.html ) should have keys for the current build on Steam and Ouya through the Humble Store. If you already have a Humble account, you should log in, and they should be waiting for you. If you don’t see them, try the humble key resender: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender

While we are calling this “beta”, it’s not a true beta. The levels in the game are close to a beta level of polish, but we still plan on adding 3 levels to fill out our branching narrative. Right now, you can only play one path to one ending. In addition, we have temp voice overs, which are not very good. We are recording our professional VO in a few weeks.

We are still on track to finish the game by the end of September, but we wanted to give beta backers a first look into the game rather than only opening it up a few weeks early before the game is released.

If you are dying of curiosity, you can play the beta right now, as well as get the game and the soundtrack on our website: http://www.neverendingnightmares.com/back.html

fantomena

Started to get addicted to Spelunky a few days ago...again. Been playing it a lot on PC.

Tommorrow Im gonna go on vacatio nso I have to leave Spelunky behind.

That's when my god blessed Vita comes in. Spelunky in my pocket. FUCK YEAH!

Was going to take my 3DS with me, but Spelunky on Vita is enough.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man choking on that optional Dark Souls 2 boss when you are in the final 30% doesn't feel good at all. I woulda had it if one of the sunbros didn't die so early on.

zeroOman

Is there something wrong?

derExperte

Started to get addicted to Spelunky a few days ago...again. Been playing it a lot on PC.

spelunky might be one of the best portable games ever. If i have any issues with the vita version is that the framerate gets a bit messy sometimes (it's rare, but going inside the worm really gets frame-y) and that the daily challenges on Sony's systems are not the same as the PC versions.

Other than that: have fun! The vita is a tremendous little portable indie monster!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When I played Doom 1 I was surprised how well it held up personally. Especially when compared to Wolfenstein 3D.

Game had just the right amount of everything to keep it a enjoyable experience.
I never liked Wolf3D, not even back then. It felt boring to me, while Doom was always the better game. I don't recall if I ever reached the third level, I couldn't enjoy it at all.

Thank you!

I've just read the first couple of lines as I'm about to leave, and what you said about wandering around City is more annoying than Asylum (even more so with enemy respawn, which in my half hour I obviously didn't know) made me a bit sad, as I mostly put it aside waiting for those times when you just want a game consisting in mindlessly punching bad guys in an acrobatic fashion.
But of course if I have to care every step I do for dangers and stuff, eeeeh, that's a pity. :(
Keep in mind that Spring-Loaded thinks the city is a lot better than the asylum, as are the ways of traversing it, so don't take my opinion as fact. Be sure you've heard both sides of the story :p

chronomac

I've been playing Arkham Origins recently, and it's fairly enjoyable. It's closer to Arkham City than Asylum, though - open world with tons of "collectables". If that ain't your thing...
I do like it, however. And I don't usually mind those collectathons. I just tend to chill out, pretend I'm actually Batman and traverse the city. Combat is fluid but it seems a bit harder then the previous ones.
As for the storyline itself, I'm afraid I'm still during the early stages of the game, so I can't comment on that, except for the fact that it's apparently tighter than the one in Arkham City.

I'd say give it a go if you somehow end up warming up to AC and you end up winning a giveaway or find it cheap.

I'm usually not much of a collectibles hunter in games. The lone exception is Crackdown for the 360. I went through every nook and cranny of that game and had a blast. I would love a PC port but I doubt it ever happens.

Thanks to all for the Arkham opinions. I think I may skip Origins unless I see it drop to a ridiculous price.

Rnr1224

I really wish i could get into Spelunky, but whenever ive played it, It just didnt hold my attention. :(

tav7623

What are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games? I ask because I'm halfway through City and am finding it a touch disappointing. I liked Asylum quite a bit and found it to be a enjoyable Metroid-style romp with a combat system that was easy to learn and stealth sections that didn't completely suck (I'm not a stealth fan at all). It had a fairly pedestrian story and an awful final boss fight but it didn't outstay its welcome either.

I like that City takes a different approach with an open world and fighting that feels a little tighter, but I still think the story is fairly mediocre and I find the side-missions to be tedious. So the open city aspect isn't really doing much for me.

Both of the games look great and seem to scale well, running well on lower end systems and my mid-tier one too. Everything I've heard about Origins is that it doesn't stand up to Asylum or City, and I'm thinking about just skipping it for Arkham Knight in the Fall. Would that be advisable?

I really liked the first two Arkham games, especially City ( yeah the game's mid point story wise is a bit disappointing, but it does get better after you're done messing around in Wonder City & the Sewers) and is (imo) the best Batman game yet. As for Origins, well I for the most part feel indifferent about it (the only thing I really hated about it was that it's story seems to blatantly contradict a lot of stuff established/hinted at in the previous games, like the lore behind the asylum, the first meeting between Harley & Joker, etc.) as it was a decent game overall, but it just felt a bit lackluster when compared to the earlier games.

ev0

Can a modbot giveaway have NOLURKERS work for 2 separate threads ( say in the steam thread and if you put it in the games official thread)

zeroOman

arrived in my mailbox:

I didn't see that and no one pm about it... I still didn't active anything yet even from humblebundle ... they are still in my mail this is the sec time someone keep saying this to me... I should keep up with the activation of my game cuz ppl keep saying I sell them, which isn't true

p.s

DreadOut is ready activated by other acc... when i try to redeem it

Finished new Walking Dead S2 Episode. Liked it much! Overall, I gotta say that I do think that TWD S1 and TWAU are superior to this. I just liked the darker atmosphere a lot more. Or something? But I do really like it.

I won Street Fighter from the raffle, haven't played any Street Fighters since SF2!

Shadownet

Banned

I just permaban zeroOman from mine.

Toki767

I didn't see that and no one pm about it... I still didn't active anything yet even from humblebundle ... they are still in my mail this is the sec time someone keep saying this to me... I should keep up with the activation of my game cuz ppl keep thing I sell them, which isn't true

If you aren't activating these games somewhat soon, it's pretty selfish to be signing up for giveaways when someone who would make it a priority to play these games could win it.

I'm about to start up a Non-Shooter SteamGAF Gaming Club.

I'd join that. I suck at shooters. FPS ones mainly. TPS I do a little better mostly cause I can see where I am in relation to everything else.

Asgaro

cutting_edge.png

Er, but what looks awesome about it? I didn't watch the quick look, I didn't see anything in the screenshots that gave any indication of what the game would be about, so I feel like I missed something if everyone else is so hyped.

Haha!
Had seen the comic before but nice to see it again.

Though five-year lag is even more hardcore than I'll ever be.
I've noticed most AAA games drop to around € 9.99 after about a year to a year and a few months.
(For indie games, it's of course even shorter.)

Unfortunately, there are some old games that seem to rarely drop in price.
Example, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300
Reminds me of the COD games pricing...

And thanks for the friend request!

Autofokus

....How exactly do you rate Origins behind City?
I know it's kinda unfair, but it felt in many ways uninspired. They changed the combat timings to the worse (in my opinion at least) and the difficulty curve was just bad. After you get those shock glove thingies, the difficulty jumps into a hole and never comes back. Using B-List Villains was a problem for me, because I know jackshit about the Batman universe - only basic knowledge. So, most of the time I didn't knew who I'm fighting against.

I liked the City better than AC though, all that Riddler stuff in AC was just ridiculous.

BadRamen

Oh cool, a notification similar to when you get an IM, a group you're in posts an announcement, etc. pops up when a download finishes! Maybe this happened a while ago but I likes!

Turfster

Oh cool, a notification similar to when you get an IM, a group you're in posts an announcement, etc. pops up when a download finishes! Maybe this happened a while ago but I likes!

I judge the fact that a download finished by the fact that my Steam seizes up and turns completely blank for a few seconds as it does god knows what ;)

Rnr1224

I deleted and reinstalled. I opened the app and updates fine, then crash.
Reopen, the icon jumps in the dock and the crash again.
WTF!
I'm under 10.9.4, Macbook Pro i7... Holy shit :/

Can you open games from the folders instead of steam?

should be in here:
/Users/your user name here/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/game

UPDATE GAME STARTS IN 20 MINUTES
Left4Dead2 GafGameight today at 22:30 CET ( 16:30 EST / 13:30 PST )
- We are going to play on the map Yama
- Hit the link and download the ZIP file timely (700MB)
- Extract the one file into SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons
- This will be a game of Versus - 4 against 4

- If we end up less than 8 player, we'll change the game type from Versus to Standard and play Yama campaign,

- Important! Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie/ so I can Invite you into the Lobby!

You're good to go now!

Player so far:
Soma
freshVeggie
Shdownet
Enco
iosefe
corrosivefrost
dunderhassan
strazyplus

We are full! 8 player Lobby full ! Just want you to know Gaf :p

What are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games? I ask because I'm halfway through City and am finding it a touch disappointing. I liked Asylum quite a bit and found it to be a enjoyable Metroid-style romp with a combat system that was easy to learn and stealth sections that didn't completely suck (I'm not a stealth fan at all). It had a fairly pedestrian story and an awful final boss fight but it didn't outstay its welcome either.

I like that City takes a different approach with an open world and fighting that feels a little tighter, but I still think the story is fairly mediocre and I find the side-missions to be tedious. So the open city aspect isn't really doing much for me.

Both of the games look great and seem to scale well, running well on lower end systems and my mid-tier one too. Everything I've heard about Origins is that it doesn't stand up to Asylum or City, and I'm thinking about just skipping it for Arkham Knight in the Fall. Would that be advisable?

I found everything about AC to be better than AA, save for the basic premise. Like you said, the stories in both are lacking. The combat, predator/stealth, gadgets (and how those gadgets have uses in both combat and stealth) are all similar to AA, yet with pretty extensive improvements. Boss battles are better (which isn't saying much) and the Mr. Freeze fight is really great, especially on the harder difficulty. Basic side-missions are all completely optional, and even if some are bare-bones, they provide context for more gameplay.

AA is Metroid-like on the surface and seems like a Metroid/metroidvania game the first time through, but is completely linear, even with receiving upgrades; there are only so many enemies in the game, none respawn and there's little side content that grants XP, so XP is essentially scripted too. You always only have one path that leads anywhere at any one time. I understand people might prefer a Metroid/Dark Souls-like overworld structure to their games, but AA doesn't really do that well enough to differentiate it from AC. In retrospect, AA is just a more linear and restrictive AC with fewer combat/stealth/traversal options. The shift away from AA's overworld to a more open hub-world (neither are "open world" in the same vein as GTA or Just Cause) isn't a huge loss. Going straight from one story mission to the next provides a similar gameplay experience, and there's still elements of progression and unlocking new areas with new gadgets/abilities.

If you enjoy AC, AO is worth playing. AO feels like a big expansion pack to AC in terms of how things work: a reskinned gadget here, reskinned enemy types there, Etc. There's plenty of unique content and locations though. The combat is harder, but that's due in part to enemies attacking more frequently and old/pore-existing Batman animations not being balanced to accommodate it. Combat differences are definitely noticeable, but they don't ruin the gameplay, and are only especially frustrating when going for specific challenges. The story is a considerable step up from past games too.

....How exactly do you rate Origins behind City?

Depending on what people value in these games, I could understand saying either's better overall. They're really similar though, so I can't as easily understand how someone could put AA between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom