• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not necessarily Steam related but... I just watched the Pillars of Eternity Quick Look in Giant Bomb and MAN, it looks amazing. I'm seriously hyped for the game - seems to scratch an itch I've been having for a while.

I actually started playing Baldur's Gate 2 a couple of weeks ago. I think I got a bit mentally "stuck" after finishing the intro dungeon and the Circus Tent sidequest - I was enjoying it but I was somehow battling the D&D ruleset the game is based on. Trying to figure out all these mechanics seemed to tire me a bit, even though I can see there's a game there that's begging to be played and enjoyed. I certainly will, though I've distanced myself a bit for a time. I guess it'd be fair to say it overwhelmed me.

But, again, I will come back to it. Sooner or later, I will.

Athkatla in particular can seem insurmountable at the beginning. If you do all the sidequests, be prepared to spend at least 5-10 hours - there's a ton of stuff to see and do. I think I did 15 hours before I even jumped back into the main questline, although I had installed mods like Unfinished Business to give additional (deleted) content as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not necessarily Steam related but... I just watched the Pillars of Eternity Quick Look in Giant Bomb and MAN, it looks amazing. I'm seriously hyped for the game - seems to scratch an itch I've been having for a while.

I actually started playing Baldur's Gate 2 a couple of weeks ago. I think I got a bit mentally "stuck" after finishing the intro dungeon and the Circus Tent sidequest - I was enjoying it but I was somehow battling the D&D ruleset the game is based on. Trying to figure out all these mechanics seemed to tire me a bit, even though I can see there's a game there that's begging to be played and enjoyed. I certainly will, though I've distanced myself a bit for a time. I guess it'd be fair to say it overwhelmed me.

its not necessarely steam related to talk about a game coming to steam in the coming months?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I played it for a few hours and the lack of any direction just killed it for me, I didn't even know what to do after the first fort; I got to the other world and saw I couldn't leave the fort and had no idea what to do. Explored for a bit after, kept getting killed trying to find a new area to explore, then just idled for the cards.
This is how I felt back when it was Early Access. Didn't know where to go, died a few times and never came back. I think it was Grief who told me I had to listen to the audio cues, but I didn't feel like playing it again at the time. I should try it now that the finished version is out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I backed Pillars of Eternity but ultimately had to cancel the pledge because I forgot all about it and overspent on Steam the week my card was due to be charged, haha. Looking forward to righting that wrong when it hits Early Access.

Sky Chief

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sky Chief:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sky Chief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-F0140B07BFA1A552 - Taken by Kaisersalsek

Asgaro

I'm insane.

For quite a few years now, I've been managing spreadsheets to keep track of my Steam backlog and my To Buy list.
I started this to prevent myself to get in the negative spiral like so many Steam gamers have fell into: buying games, but still don't knowing what to play from their list, and then resorting to playing popular MP games.

I just did a bit of a clean-up regarding content and layout.
I'm proud of the result but on the other hand... Nobody does this! :D

The big benefits:
- I'm rather close to clearing my Steam backlog. (And with clearing I mean completing the game.) Around 70% or so.
I'm aiming for 90%: some games seem to crash on my build, eg Crysis 1 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
And some games are just too much for me: I can't complete Braid. :-/

I do this by only installing a handful of SP games at the same time and sticking to those games. But of course, I keep some MP games at hand if I feel "saturated" of playing SP games.
Actually, I've now become accustomed to the situation of really immersing myself into a SP game. I don't feel the need to switch it up with other game. I have that feeling again of really investing into a game and not wanting to let it go.
Like in the good olds days: when PC games were only to be found in retail stores, and you had to pick one and you got your money worth out of it.

- During the past year, for 90% of the occasions, I only bought a game when it dropped below € 4.99.
But I will enforce the "below € 9.99" rule when I have ran out of SP games to complete.
So far this has never happened, and I always had a steady flow of "under € 4.99 games" to choose from each Steam sale.
I only see benefits here: I still get to buy all games I want to play eventually, but buy them only at the right time: the price where you know it won't get cheaper than that in the future.

Long gone are the days where I want to buy games in the HYPE-HYPE-HYPE period.
Now I play when the HYPE has settled down, the game has been patched to its fullest, decent GPU drivers have been released, detailed walkthroughs are to be found, tweak guides(best performance graphics settings, etc) have been released, etc.

- This also means I will never buy Early Access games.
My wish list has 82 games. And I think around 30 of those are Early Access games.
It's great that with the Steam Enhanced extension the games get labelled so you have a nice overview on your wishlist page.

Latest purchases and their price:
Yes, it's 2014 and only now I'll get into Skyrim. :p
But again, this has only benefits: you can play with the best mods from the get-go.
(Yes, I'm aware there are mods that require the DLC.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2648/purchaselist.PNG

Steam profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Asgaro/
Games in order of playtime:
The high playtimes for quite a lot of games go to show that I'm well on my way to completing dat backlog!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Asgaro/games?tab=all

To Play list:

toplay.PNG

To Buy list:

tobuy.PNG

aku:jiki

Messed around with the new BundleStars bundle, quick impressions:

Vector: Tries to be Canabalt Evolved but loses Canabalt's purity and has kind of janky controls. Nice animations and somewhat fun, but ultimately frustrating when you end up feeling like you did press the right button but the guy didn't do what you expected him to.
Rush for Glory: Seems like a decent enough TD game, though nothing noteworthy or special.
Montas: Horror walking simulators is not my thing. Graphics looked pretty decent for the genre.
Steel & Steam: RPGMaker games are also not my thing. This looks like a generic one.
Sugar Cube: Very cute puzzle game that ends up being too trial & error for its own good. Also very short. (Had this from before, beat 3/4 of it in like 90 minutes and then got bored with the T&E.)
Ionball 2: Arkanoid with particle effects and dubstep! I liked it well enough, but did not enjoy the forced mouse controls with no options. It's a game where you move left and right, why can't I use keyboard so I can joy2key it?
Clockwork Tales: Probably the MVP of the bundle. It's a very well-produced hidden object adventure game, with beautiful art and a lot more flair than is usual for the genre. This is not just a bunch of static screens; there are cutscenes and animations and stuff everywhere.
Growing Pains: Really cool idea; it's a little platformer where the hook is that you keep growing and have to hurry through the level, and each level is a collection of levels that grow along with you (so part E of level 1 is HUGE when you're part A size, but normal when you get to E). Ugly, but playable and with a cool idea.

abracadaver

Yeah, there were a couple quick & dirty spin-off titles that the dev did for funzies, Shadow Warrior and Santa's Rampage. Both were just overnight projects.

If you own either the price for the VCD game proper drops from $4.79 to $2.79.

It's Early Access, but you wouldn't know it playing the latest builds. Feels content/feature complete and bug free.

Add oculus rift support and I'm in

Arthea

c'mon guys, how can you say that Wolf3D doesn't hold up when it's still one of the best shooters out there, together with DooM, yes.
nope, not kidding! Wolf3D is my most replayed shooter of all times, next would be Doom and then UT.

Here's a bunch of leftovers. Have at it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Ignite -- MB-0178933E682E6A0A
Fly'N -- MB-BCBFDCE524BE7877 - Taken by chronomac
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-9112C45682500D33 - Taken by ReduxMachine
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-F6265F1213D866BB - Taken by sprinkles
Savant: Ascent -- MB-AF0E35DBDC95C813 - Taken by user237
Windforge -- MB-166B0028D4776413 - Taken by Servizio
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-EBA99BD478BA28E8 - Taken by KainXVIII
Paranautical Activity -- MB-BC32336E231103E3 - Taken by bluechox2
Thief Gold -- MB-2B256B07A9413A96 - Taken by dave is ok
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-CB4BCB6FB5626557 - Taken by Lomax
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory -- MB-08E3CBBE0816FCAB - Taken by Saty
Mechanic Escape -- MB-99D3C46474966126 - Taken by Catshade
Jack Lumber -- MB-228A63BEF4FD574F - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Finding Teddy -- MB-513DEEF1C17CDD90 - Taken by DaBargainHunta
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-EAC7902861A6F485 - Taken by lfvgt
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-0D017FBA1EDADF5E - Taken by ev0
Montas -- MB-779C3F1D13DCFB51 - Taken by Newblade
N.P.P.D. RUSH - The milk of Ultraviolet -- MB-D797BCBF2EAF8B0D - Taken by Saty
Litil Divil -- MB-CA46887C557A51CF - Taken by danhese007

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't know about you, but I'm really excited for whatever chubigans is working on.

Why was GWBW so hyped to begin with? All I'd seen are various screenshots and nothing really stood out to me.

because it looks awesome? its a neat idea and great execution, from what I saw on the quicklook it looks great. Seems its very hard, I guess that means its shit these days

Also, using the steam forums as a measure for quality is a worrying trend around here recently, whats next, gamefaqs?

StAidan

For quite a few years now, I've been managing spreadsheets to keep track of my Steam backlog and my To Buy list. [...]

Insane -- and impressive :) Wish I had that level of restraint, though. 225 games in my library and I don't think I've played 50% of them yet, although I certainly hope to have a clean backlog someday.

Tizoc

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Humble Transformers Bundle -- MB-DFB178FEF71CA959 - Taken by Jadax. 31 entrants total.

t1406230056z1.png

Last chance!

MRORANGE

It's not trolling. :D
World Of Warcraft spreadsheet geeks just got a new competer...

It's more of the fact that posting steam stats is not a good idea:

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.

Asgaro

so i know where one of those YOU NEED A BUDGET sales went.

lmao.

Though, I wouldn't mind if Steam expanded their "Get an e-mail when a wishlisted game is on sale" service:
for example, one would be able to set a certain price and as soon as one of his wishlisted games drops below that price, you get an e-mail.

Note:
I do have the money to afford games over € 9.99 but I just stopped doing it...
It started as an experiment to make me buy less games so I could finish my backlog, but now I'm used to it. :p

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.

Really? It's obviously not some drive-by stats list post. He put quite a bit of time into it and wanted to share his thought process. I don't see the problem.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Gods Will Be Watching doesn't seem to allow for screenshots, that's already a negative strike since I take absurd amounts of screenshots per game.

See you on the other side, SteamGAF.

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:

Looks more like a post that he wanted to share his steam habits and mentality than a brag post.

I'm glad he made it.

GKB

lmao.

Though, I wouldn't mind if Steam expanded their "Get an e-mail when a wishlisted game is on sale" service:
for example, one would be able to set a certain price and as soon as one of his wishlisted games drops below that price, you get an e-mail.

steamprices.com has that feature :D

Looks like I'm not getting KiD from nuuvem after all, the damn site is asking me for the Taxpayer Registry number. It'll only take a valid brazilian number.

MRORANGE

Really? It's obviously not some drive-by stats list post. He put quite a bit of time into it and wanted to share his thought process. I don't see the problem.

Asgaro is legit. Gave me some great backlog advice a while back.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92904541&postcount=9308

Looks more like a post that he wanted to share his steam habits and mentality than a brag post.

I'm glad he made it.

His post is fine but posting images of what you've bought is a no no as it creates copy-cat behavior from other members, it's a good post other than that, granted he has removed that particular image.

Gods Will Be Watching doesn't seem to allow for screenshots, that's already a negative strike since I take absurd amounts of screenshots per game.

See you on the other side, SteamGAF.

You can circunvent that limitation but it takes some workaround, there is a pinned thread in the Cherry Tree High Comedy Club explaining how to do it.

Yeah let's try something new!

Left4Dead2 GafGameNight today at 22:30 CET ( 16:30 EST / 13:30 PST )
- We are going to play on the map Yama
- Hit the link and download the ZIP file timely (700MB)
- Extract the one file into SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons
- This will be a game of Versus - 4 against 4

- If we end up less than 8 player, we'll change the game type from Versus to Standard and play Yama campaign,

- Important! Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie/ so I can Invite you into the Lobby!

You're good to go now!
Players so far:
Soma
freshVeggie
ShadownetX

I am gonna eat now, so I'll answer later!

Dr Dogg

His post is fine but posting images of what you've bought is a no no as it creates copy-cat behavior from other members, it's a good post other than that, granted he has removed that particular image.

Understood. It's been a ride in this thread for a while and the Thread Rules are even a blur to me.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Cook, Serve, Delicious -- MB-3FC39AAD0B323943 - Taken by zeroOman

_hekk05

Banned
What's the old Hoxton breakout?

I own Shadow Warrior but the price of VCD still seems to be 4.79 for me. Or is this when it's out of early access?

Old Hoxton was Hoxton in Payday: the Heist. They had to leave him behind in one of the heists.

The current Hoxton in Payday2 is his brother, I think.

Its gonna be an epic prisoner transfer breakout mission

Asgaro

Well kinda, your dedication is pretty cool though. 70% completion rate on your backlog is awesome. I don't think I could manage that since most of my steam backlog is extremely lengthy CRPGs.

The spreadsheet management is a year long dedication. (Doesn't take much time though: when you read about a certain game that you could like, you just add it to the list. And from time to time, you clean the list.)

The real completing of SP games though happens only in certain months of the year...
I'm in college and during the semesters I only play MP games, since I don't have the time to invest fully in SP games.
But in the vacations, most of my game time is for SP games.

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:

Aha, I see!
I just changed the recent purchases list from an image to a link.
I will keep the spreadsheet images though since that could catch someone's eye faster than a lengthy post...

You're... you're close!

We're both going in the opposite direction but we're both winners! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom