• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autofokus

lmao.

Though, I wouldn't mind if Steam expanded their "Get an e-mail when a wishlisted game is on sale" service:
for example, one would be able to set a certain price and as soon as one of his wishlisted games drops below that price, you get an e-mail.
Isthereanydeal.com, import your Steam wishlist and set the individual prices for email notification.

Shantom

I won Fortix from Speevy earlier today, and he was kind enough to buy a second copy for me when the key turned out to have been used already, so here's some games to pay it back:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-D4F1BEC339C4073D - Taken by Pop. 4 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-E0895B6084438FC9 - Taken by tav7623. 2 entrants total.
Cave Story -- MB-7C503DAFFC450CFA - Taken by adriano999. 2 entrants total.

t1406230904z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah Finding Teddy. I still hold it in warm regards even if it wasn't what I was looking for and lacked some meat. Still, I do recommend it as stated in this review I did for it.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kenofthedead/recommended/259600

[Down Arrow] You edited the list JaseC :/ There's no huge sensation anymore, ha.

Learning from the limit JaseC encountered I made a thread as well with fewer keys. ModBot still faltered a bit because I posted later in the thread some unclaimed keys (last page I believe has some Desura still left over), but still gives a decent idea of what it's like.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/237870/header_292x136.jpg?t=1394858679[/]

here's some quick impressions from about an hour of playing Planet Explorers[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the impressions. One question though, how is it to travel around? Simply just walking around or is there anything to actually make it interesting? IOne of the key reasons I usually drop an open world game is because I'm bored of how long it takes to get anywhere and grow tired of the sights.

[quote="HoosTrax, post: 122471452"]I don't really see the point (from a publisher point of view) of having a Free Weekend on a game that can be completed in 10 hours or so. Maybe there's a MP mode, I never bothered to find out.[/QUOTE]

Aye there is multi-player, but that's not usually the draw. The simple idea is that a lot of people will download the game, but either not get around to playing it in time or only just briefly testing it out. When that happens a publisher is hoping that some consumers feel that "well, I've already downloaded it and started to play it" and wish to actually complete it.
Good word of mouth always helps for a nice bump in sales as well, as witnessed with Torchlight II and a couple of others.

It doesn't really hurt them either. Anyone who beats it that quickly and then just throws it away most likely weren't going to buy it in the first place.

Jawmuncher

Cook, Serve, Delicious -- MB-3FC39AAD0B323943 - Taken by zeroOman

also, wasnt this a thing yesterday? (not trying to start shit)

It might have been while I wasn't around.
I was half joking anyway since ones mans trash can be another's treasure.

His post is fine but posting images of what you've bought is a no no as it creates copy-cat behavior from other members, it's a good post other than that, granted he has removed that particular image.

hm. Dropbox is blocked here, so they didn't show up anyway for me.

Therefore, post seemed legit.

Cook, Serve, Delicious -- MB-3FC39AAD0B323943 - Taken by zeroOman

also, wasnt this a thing yesterday? (not trying to start shit)

oh fucking a

It might have been while I wasn't around.
I was half joking anyway since ones mans trash can be another's treasure.

DetectiveGAF found out that this dude has quite a history of not activating ModBot winnings (they aren't on his account). And after a page or two of 'that is shitty behavior', apparently he also gives no fucks as well.

Altazor

Athkatla in particular can seem insurmountable at the beginning. If you do all the sidequests, be prepared to spend at least 5-10 hours - there's a ton of stuff to see and do. I think I did 15 hours before I even jumped back into the main questline, although I had installed mods like Unfinished Business to give additional (deleted) content as well.

Yeah, that seems fair. I don't think I have all the time I need to fully immerse myself in BG2 - 'cause I know a game like that deserves immersion.

its not necessarely steam related to talk about a game coming to steam in the coming months?

oops, point taken!

I backed Pillars of Eternity but ultimately had to cancel the pledge because I forgot all about it and overspent on Steam the week my card was due to be charged, haha. Looking forward to righting that wrong when it hits Early Access.

Ouch, maybe YOU NEED A BUDGET (?). I wish I could back some cool stuff, but I don't have a credit card so... yeah. I'll just have to buy it whenever it comes out - and I can't wait.

Good thing I have the Dark Souls 2 DLC and Divinity: Original Sin to keep me company until PoE finally launches, eh? :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks for the impressions. One question though, how is it to travel around? Simply just walking around or is there anything to actually make it interesting? IOne of the key reasons I usually drop an open world game is because I'm bored of how long it takes to get anywhere and grow tired of the sights.

I only played for about an hour so just walking around. Ive seen screenshots of jetpacks and hang gliders and vehicles so I assume you can build those eventually

iosefe

Yeah let's try something new!

Left4Dead2 GafGameNight today at 22:30 CET ( 16:30 EST / 13:30 PST )
- We are going to play on the map Yama
- Hit the link and download the ZIP file timely (700MB)
- Extract the one file into SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons
- This will be a game of Versus - 4 against 4

- If we end up less than 8 player, we'll change the game type from Versus to Standard and play Yama campaign,

- Important! Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie/ so I can Invite you into the Lobby!

You're good to go now!

I am gonna eat now, so I'll answer later!

in!

- If we end up less than 8 player, we'll change the game type from Versus to Standard and play Yama campaign,

- Important! Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie/ so I can Invite you into the Lobby!

You're good to go now!

Also, here are some screens of the campaign:

Tizoc

Jadax claimed your Humble Transformers Bundle key. There were 31 entrants.
Congrats to the winner!
Let me know if you want a quick guide to better understand the story.

You're good to go now!

Aww yiss, too long since I've played L4D2, I'm in.

Elija2

So I know the Dead Island games kinda suck, but they're still fun with friends, right? Which one is better, the original or Riptide?

AHA-Lambda

Chapter 2 of GWBW is plain bullshit,
one of the torture days is russian roulette! So basically I can either confess to avoid the russian roulette and then get killed once I've confessed too much or face a roll of the dice that I need to start the chapter all over again. That's only the 7th day out of 22 I've managed.

I'm already really close to hanging my hat on this.

Arthea

I was watching Battle Mages trailer and thinking it reminds me of some game way too much, then I've noticed released date. (><)
It was not a bad game, as far as I can remember.

i'm thankful for this summer drought because i'm killing it with my backlog. The only thing is that i've pretty much finished all my "easy" backlog games (games 2-3 hours long) and now I'm getting my hands dirty with some 8-10 hours games.

so far, the only game i've walked away from is Velocity Ultra, because around zone 43ish the game basically forces you to go back and grind for points
if you've been sloppy like me
and after doing that for a while i just didn't find myself enjoying it anymore. Same with Muramasa, which just felt tedious as hell and wasn't any fun to play.

That's another thing, too: I'm much more willing to just walk away from a game in my backlog if i don't feel like im having any fun. games are about fun, and while i don't mind if a game i've put 15-20 hours into starts getting a little stale, if a game hits a point where i can't continue (happened with the witcher 1, where i hit a wall halfway through chapter 3 or when the level design in Tomb Raider Anniversary was just giving me headaches) or if i've given a game a genuine try and it just doesn't stick (muramasa got 2 hours from me and the more i played it the less i liked it), I'd much rather move on and hopefully find a great game like the Witcher 2 in the process instead of getting into another boring ass slashfest in Muramasa because i feel a certain obligation to play all that i own.

So far, i'm only violating my finish-2-before-you-buy-1 rule with a purchase of dragon's crown, since my bro has been asking me to get it for a while and he just bought LCGOL to play with me so it's my turn to return the favor. Hopefully, it won't bore me to tears like the last vanillaware game.

Jawmuncher

DetectiveGAF found out that this dude has quite a history of not activating ModBot winnings (they aren't on his account). And after a page or two of 'that is shitty behavior', apparently he also gives no fucks as well.

Oh that's pretty sleazy and a horrible thing to do with SteamGAFs generosity.

Enco

So I know the Dead Island games kinda suck, but they're still fun with friends, right? Which one is better, the original or Riptide?
I actually had fun in the first one.

Never finished it but it was good with a friend.

I feel the games get way too much hate. The combat was great. Breaking bones and cutting off chunks of flesh is pretty fun.

Jawmuncher

Riptide is a sequel but if you're just going to play one play that. They're indeed fun with friends though. Just a point I didn't like BL but I loved my time with DI. The melee focus I really enjoyed.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question.

If we could create a good list of users known to abuse giveaways, something carefully curated, shouldn't that list be used to police every giveaway?

I mean why should shitheads win anything because someone forgot to put in a rule?

chronomac

What are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games? I ask because I'm halfway through City and am finding it a touch disappointing. I liked Asylum quite a bit and found it to be a enjoyable Metroid-style romp with a combat system that was easy to learn and stealth sections that didn't completely suck (I'm not a stealth fan at all). It had a fairly pedestrian story and an awful final boss fight but it didn't outstay its welcome either.

I like that City takes a different approach with an open world and fighting that feels a little tighter, but I still think the story is fairly mediocre and I find the side-missions to be tedious. So the open city aspect isn't really doing much for me.

Both of the games look great and seem to scale well, running well on lower end systems and my mid-tier one too. Everything I've heard about Origins is that it doesn't stand up to Asylum or City, and I'm thinking about just skipping it for Arkham Knight in the Fall. Would that be advisable?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gods Will Be Watching posts remind me of Dark Souls posts lol

Legends of Persia -- MB-7CDACDF4E15039A2 - Taken by Mass_Pincup. 6 entrants total.
Rush for Glory -- MB-9AB58A2CBAC2A99D - Taken by ModBot - Taken by Kiru
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-95931D1DB9FA70E5 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 1 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-964F6D3A7BCB6F79 - Taken by -MD-. 3 entrants total.

still up

Caerith

I'm insane.
cutting_edge.png

because it looks awesome? its a neat idea and great execution, from what I saw on the quicklook it looks great. Seems its very hard, I guess that means its shit these days

Also, using the steam forums as a measure for quality is a worrying trend around here recently, whats next, gamefaqs?
Er, but what looks awesome about it? I didn't watch the quick look, I didn't see anything in the screenshots that gave any indication of what the game would be about, so I feel like I missed something if everyone else is so hyped.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (spindoctor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition -- MB-481305787E34C499 - Taken by Beelzebubs. 38 entrants total.

t1406241703z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Excellent.

Can't you just use Alt+PRT SCRN?
I mean more of a pain but you should still be able to get away with that right?

Nope, Alt+Prnt Screen only captures the desktop and not the game even though the game is running on top. Same happens with Greenshot - and I've used it to take screenshots before in game.

You can circunvent that limitation but it takes some workaround, there is a pinned thread in the Cherry Tree High Comedy Club explaining how to do it.

Never knew about that, took a look and it's way more work than I'd want to bother with to put shots up on steam. My main issue is just getting captured shots which is proving almost as difficult as the game itself.

In the interim, I have failed the first scenario several times and I am not sure I like the cut of the game's jib in regards to why. More on this after I spend some time with it.

Nabs

What are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games, specially which of the three is best? I ask because I'm halfway through City and am finding it a touch disappointing. I liked Asylum quite a bit and found it to be a enjoyable Metroid-style romp with a combat system that was easy to learn. It had a fairly pedestrian story and an awful final boss fight but it didn't outstay its welcome either. I like that City takes a different approach with an open world and fighting that feels a little tighter, but I still think the story is fairly mediocre and I find the side-missions to be tedious.

Both of the games look great and seem to scale well, running well on lower end systems and my mid-tier one too. Everything I've heard about Origins is that it doesn't stand up to Asylum or City, and I'm thinking about just skipping it for Arkham Knight in the Fall. Would that be advisable?

Akrham Origins is my favorite, AA is a (very) close second, and AC is just good at number 3. AC felt like it was developed by 10 different teams and pasted together at the end. The pacing was off, bosses weren't interesting (except for Freeze), and I wasn't a fan of traveling around the city. I dunno. I always feel like I'm crazy when I talk about AC.

Autofokus

Asylum >> City > Origins
If you're burned out, you can skip Origins. It's not part of the 'official' trilogy, but on its own it's worthwhile to play imo.

Rhaknar

Dark Souls was hard but fair, this isn't.

play on easy then? Dunno, just seems like typical overblown exageration when a hard game is new, just like when Dark Souls came out (and no, people didnt say it was "fair" at first, well, many didnt at least)

Jawmuncher

Nope, Alt+Prnt Screen only captures the desktop and not the game even though the game is running on top. Same happens with Greenshot - and I've used it to take screenshots before in game.

Never knew about that, took a look and it's way more work than I'd want to bother with to put shots up on steam. My main issue is just getting captured shots which is proving almost as difficult as the game itself.

In the interim, I have failed the first scenario several times and I am not sure I like the cut of the game's jib in regards to why. More on this after I spend some time with it.

Wow that is lame. What is so important they they would disallow the feature.
Even Sakurai Spirit allowed pics and that's the whole game

StAidan

I have a question.

If we could create a good list of users known to abuse giveaways, something carefully curated, shouldn't that list be used to police every giveaway?

I mean why should shitheads win anything because someone forgot to put in a rule?

I think Stump has mentioned before that users who end up on multiple givers' block lists become candidates for the global blacklist, so I think if we can just manage to get this zeroOman fellow on a few of those, well...

He's definitely on mine, anyway.

Altazor

What are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games? I ask because I'm halfway through City and am finding it a touch disappointing. I liked Asylum quite a bit and found it to be a enjoyable Metroid-style romp with a combat system that was easy to learn and stealth sections that didn't completely suck (I'm not a stealth fan at all). It had a fairly pedestrian story and an awful final boss fight but it didn't outstay its welcome either.

I like that City takes a different approach with an open world and fighting that feels a little tighter, but I still think the story is fairly mediocre and I find the side-missions to be tedious. So the open city aspect isn't really doing much for me.

I've been playing Arkham Origins recently, and it's fairly enjoyable. It's closer to Arkham City than Asylum, though - open world with tons of "collectables". If that ain't your thing...
I do like it, however. And I don't usually mind those collectathons. I just tend to chill out, pretend I'm actually Batman and traverse the city. Combat is fluid but it seems a bit harder then the previous ones.
As for the storyline itself, I'm afraid I'm still during the early stages of the game, so I can't comment on that, except for the fact that it's apparently tighter than the one in Arkham City.

I'd say give it a go if you somehow end up warming up to AC and you end up winning a giveaway or find it cheap.

Rnr1224

AC and AO are pretty much tied for me. both have a different feel from each other but they are both equally good. AA is also a great game, despite it not having the open world. I liked how AO focuses on some lesser known villians,but still keeps some of the better ones like Bane and Deathstroke.

.Anema

Hey!
Is anyone using Steam on a Mac? I'm trying to open the app but crashes on the startup, not showing anything. I'm with the latest system update...
Anyone? Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom