• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

H1PSTER

Let's get this straight...

- You should only enter for games that you don't have (if it's a mystery game and you already own it, then give it away again)
- You should activate the game if you win and don't own the game (even if you like it or not)
- Don't trade games or sell them! People here are being nice and you shouldn't take advantage of them
- Lastly, if you don't an interest in the game, then don't enter!

This is perfectly reasonable.

you won the game

you did not activate it, for mysterious reasons, like your other games (that you now have activated I guess)

why does this come as a surprise to you?

To be fair, he could've been away from his Steam computer for days/weeks. I remember I had a GAFer ask me about a game in their inventory they gave me that I hadn't activated in a couple days. I was out of town that weekend and happened to enter the giveaway before leaving. I didn't mind them checking to see if the game activated okay, but I wouldn't want to have to worry about people assuming I wasn't planning on activated the game, then having to try to track down all the people who happened to see speculation about me and attempt to prove my innocence.

If there's evidence of someone selling keys elsewhere, that's one thing. Simply not activating a game could be for all sorts of reasons.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
they could have just pm and ask me....
Listen, a lot of Modbot's effecticness as a tool comes from the fact that it is community driven and moderated.

"Taking it to a pm" is just a way for a scammer to prolong his scam as it takes longer for the community to figure out there's a problem.

In other words: cut the crap.

Dr Dogg

Every time I see ModBot Basics I can't help think of a discount range at a supermarket of ModBot related snacks.

If that's what your problem with the game was then you really should give it another go. Soon after that it's just boss after boss and you go through many different areas in short time.

Yeah I'm going to add it to my circulation at some point. How long would you say the game is when you get a handle on where your going? Though I'd also be on the achievement hunting grind as well.

Probably by my birthday technically starting 40 minutes ago and me being old enough to have watched Matlock when it first aired.
I love how the posterized version of the Matlock logo looks like a failed attempt at a Breaking Bad style period table element.

Hahaha subtle
Happy B'day by the way fellow old timer!

Turfster

How did we trigger this banner?

Probably by my birthday technically starting 40 minutes ago and me being old enough to have watched Matlock when it first aired.
I love how the posterized version of the Matlock logo looks like a failed attempt at a Breaking Bad style period table element.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm coming in at a weird time, just woke up and was going to play Freedom Planet shortly and come back with impressions later.

The story behind this is that you won Zero, I was out then for something like seven hours and came back, and someone had PM'd me about the winner situation, then I searched the GAF topic and see some people had posted here about it, and then I recalled some drama about you before, and so I decided to re-gift it if it hadn't been activated 7-8 hours later to whoever quoted my post stating as such first.

I want to clarify I don't normally switch on people and I don't mind if people give keys to friends or something... I sometimes go to win games in raffles to hand off to friends, though if I win bigger games for this reason I like to PM the person and ask if that's alright with them. But people had caught you trading games off trade sites for other games and such and I'm not big on that.

And as I was giving away DreadOut, which has not been cheaper than $14 and not been in any bundles or anything and only two months old, I wanted it to go to a nice home.

However, on that note, I will re-post this give-away of which I'm holding.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dusk Golem, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

THIS GAME IS AN IOU, I will gift the game via NeoGAF PM a little before or on the game's release date on Steam.

NOTE: Bethesda is known for region-locking, and as Evil Within is a gory game, it is quite possible it will have a censored version released. North America is where I'm and the key will be from, and maybe it won't be, but it's a fair notice to say it might be,

4956576_m.png

Evil Within -- MB-677AAF14A772A4E2 - Taken by EzioCroft. 88 entrants total.

t1406291676z1.png

Shadownet

Banned

Happy Birthday you Turf! :)

Double

0pr6i7F.png

Just had a really good run in FTL, second best so far. Got to sector 6, then stranded with no fuel and up against an enemy ship with two deflector drones and me with just an ion cannon, a combat drone and a beam drone.
Basically had to wait until he took my hull down from 80% to zero. Unlocked the stealth ship on the way there though, so I'll try that out.
Stealth Cruiser is the one i've managed my only successfull playthrough with on normal so far <3

Hugstable

Banned
Every time I see ModBot Basics I can't help think of a discount range at a supermarket of ModBot related snacks.

Yeah I'm going to add it to my circulation at some point. How long would you say the game is when you get a handle on where your going? Though I'd also be on the achievement hunting grind as well.

The game starts out fairly slow while you are in the town and the first area isn't very difficult at all. But once you start to hit the 3rd area and the 4th area the difficulty starts to really ramp up and you finally have a much bigger arsenal of weapons and tools to help you progress. I always thought it had an interesting little story as well, but the story doesn't truly reveal itself until the second half of the game. Also if you are going for achievements, look up how to get the true ending level and boss unlocked because it's very easy to miss and they give you very few clues as to actually get it. There are 2 things you need to do in the game to make sure the true final area is open.

Happy Birthday Turf! That's 2 birthdays today!

tylerf

Giveaway abuse is really saddening. The last time I gave away a nice game it got redeemed to a dupe steam account and passed along somewhere else. At least it was paid for with m&m money and I hope somewhere along the line whoever ended up with it enjoyed it.

and thats random i assume

The only thing not random is the final boss.

You can also unlock it by winning with the rock cruiser. Every ship can be gotten by winning with the ship unlocked before it, besides the crystal cruiser.

Lanius cruiser master race, though.

Sendou

I'd say if after 1 hour you still feel like the game is going nowhere then it's not your thing. Soon after the intro you end up in village from where you teleport to an area which gives you a good idea of what the game is about. After that it's mostly just a new area after an area. I don't think the game spends too much time on one area. In fact the areas seem to go by very fast and like I said they are all very distinctive and beautiful.

In other news I read RPS's Wot I Think: Gods Will Be Watching and it sounds exactly like the kind of game I would end up hating. It seems the writer is pretty overwhelmingly negative about the game (I have not enjoyed playing this game at all). Still seems curious enough that I think I'll pick it up from sale. I guess I have myself to blame when I get frustrated to no end. It really seems like that kind of game. Too bad since the core concept seems interesting.

zeroOman

A little bit of searching indicates you've won 100+ games, including multiple copies of the same games, including in at least one case winning the same game from two different people in the space of two hours.

You're either taking advantage of the system, or careless with other people's generosity to the point where it's entirely understandable that they'd want to block you from continuing to do so. So it goes.

Some game was duplicated.. and some time give them to my brother acc http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046941000 and he have acc here but still new I think it's kjakj or something like that

and my other brother acc here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001847565 i some time give him some of the key i won...

if u want to ask me anything i am here i don't like to hide anything

Just had a really good run in FTL, second best so far. Got to sector 6, then stranded with no fuel and up against an enemy ship with two deflector drones and me with just an ion cannon, a combat drone and a beam drone.
Basically had to wait until he took my hull down from 80% to zero. Unlocked the stealth ship on the way there though, so I'll try that out.

If you get stranded with no fuel, you're going to have a bad time.

What difficulty are you playing on?

I read Slaughterhouse Five recently so I get this reference.

I keep almost buying this book. Recommend yes/no?

100+ games? I wish I had that kind of luck. How many games has he given?

I'm pretty sure you can guess somewhat accurately how many games he's given away.

Caerith

Listen, a lot of Modbot's effecticness as a tool comes from the fact that it is community driven and moderated.

"Taking it to a pm" is just a way for a scammer to prolong his scam as it takes longer for the community to figure out there's a problem.

In other words: cut the crap.

As someone who did "take it to PM" to ask him, yes. It's a whole lot of stalling, playing dumb, not understanding what the big deal is because he didn't take thousands of games, etc.

I'm just surprised it's still going on.

Turfster

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys.

In other news I read RPS's Wot I Think: Gods Will Be Watching and it sounds exactly like the kind of game I would end up hating. It seems the writer is pretty overwhelmingly negative about the game (I have not enjoyed playing this game at all). Still seems curious enough that I think I'll pick it up from sale. I guess I have myself to blame when I get frustrated to no end. It really seems like that kind of game. Too bad since the core concept seems interesting.

Try the prototype to see if you like it. Apparently the complete version's gameplay isn't all that different from it, even if the situations are.

I found the hostage animations very ambiguous and unreliable I had people who were shaking yet still brave enough to try and tackle me.

It was very consistent for me. They would outstretch their legs one by one and the next animation after that is where they would attack. There are three animations for fear as well that end with them either taking a run for it or attacking. I played it a few times and they were always the same. Although of course some actions make them become more paniced or relaxed than others.

Ie, once I had all four ready to attack(very relaxed) so I executed the captain which sent them all back to the first panic'd state.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
did you watch the pillar of eternity quicklook yet dude? dat based obsidian

edit: Mass_Pincup claimed your Legends of Persia key. There were 6 entrants.

Thanks again for being generous.

good lord at the throttles, game has been up for hours :p

Just did, thanks for the heads up. Pretty much every other game coming out in the winter quarter precipitously dropped in interest. I cannot wait.

Dark, it's DLC, A:CM, it's Story DLC and Dark Souls II Season Pass for around £24 so it's not like I've spent my life savings or anything. Though I get this weird kick out of playing a bad game more than a competent one these days.

Well I liked Ride to Hell so I'm a man of appalling taste. Incidentally disregard everything I say about a game ever.

What can I say, bad games have their intrinsic appeal.

Man they completely ripped off those tilesets from NSMBU too and what original assets they made for the game make me ill.

It's probably going to make it on Steam. I remember the Game Grumps playing it at some point, and it's already got a decent amount of groundswell.
It looks pretty not great.

I wonder what Nintendo's attitude to infringing property is. You read about SEGA, EA, or Activision sending cease and desist letters, but not much from Nintendo.

If you watch the video, you don't need to play the game. You've already gotten everything out of it.

Yeah, I don't understand the appeal other than a blank platform for youtube personalities to overlay their own juvenile behavior.

Sendou

Some game was duplicated.. and some time give them to my brother acc http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046941000 and he have acc here but still new I think it's kjakj or something like that

and my other brother acc here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001847565 i some time give him some of the key i won...

This is all very stupid but here's what ModBot has to say about that subject:

ModBot said:
Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

derExperte

Oh no, you and CosmicQueso are the only two instances of it I can tolerate and appreciate. The rest will disappear if I ever become Earth's dictator.

Did your parents drown in a pool of molten cheese? Why do you hate something so delicious?

This is all very stupid but here's what ModBot has to say about that subject:

Or at least show some restraint and give something back from time to time. If you can't for whatever reasons see the part about restraint.

H1PSTER

Before you enter this let me refer you to this post.

Good luck SteamGAF!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Mr Bonejangles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mr Bonejangles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GODS WILL BE WATCHING -- MB-0E8E2D2B85B07A3A - Taken by The Dear Leader. 46 entrants total.

t1406252984z1.png

Ozium

I wonder what Nintendo's attitude to infringing property is. You read about SEGA, EA, or Activision sending cease and desist letters, but not much from Nintendo.

It's well known that Nintendo has ninja, and as such you don't hear anything until it's too late.

Speevy

Banned

I want to ask you why you think the people here are stupid. Stump went out of his way to create a system that would reward new users and avid givers alike.

The graceful thing to do would be to say you're sorry for taking advantage of others' generosity, and bow out of future giveaways.

Dr Dogg

The game starts out fairly slow while you are in the town and the first area isn't very difficult at all. But once you start to hit the 3rd area and the 4th area the difficulty starts to really ramp up and you finally have a much bigger arsenal of weapons and tools to help you progress. I always thought it had an interesting little story as well, but the story doesn't truly reveal itself until the second half of the game. Also if you are going for achievements, look up how to get the true ending level and boss unlocked because it's very easy to miss and they give you very few clues as to actually get it. There are 2 things you need to do in the game to make sure the true final area is open.!

I'd say if after 1 hour you still feel like the game is going nowhere then it's not your thing. Soon after the intro you end up in village from where you teleport to an area which gives you a good idea of what the game is about. After that it's mostly just a new area after an area. I don't think the game spends too much time on one area. In fact the areas seem to go by very fast and like I said they are all very distinctive and beautiful.

Cheers for the further thoughts folks. I'm typical driven by what game I play dependant on my mood so I probably was taken a back a bit expecting a Metroid style romp off the bat and it being a bit slower progression wise than I was expecting. Hearing it get's more fluid later on though is great so I'll deffo give it another blast. Cheers again.

rtcn63

I keep almost buying this book. Recommend yes/no

Yes. It was my first and (currently) only Vonnegut, and I found it to be a fairly straightforward, unintimidating, and of course, enjoyable read. Not difficult to finish in a few sittings. Though I do come from a Science Fiction background, so if you're new to the genre or don't like dealing with that meta-quasi-don't-necessarily-take-this-shit-at-face-value stuffs, might take bit a more effort than expected.

Toki767

- You should only enter for games that you don't have (if it's a mystery game and you already own it, then give it away again)
- You should activate the game if you win and don't own the game (even if you like it or not)
- Don't trade games or sell them! People here are being nice and you shouldn't take advantage of them
- Lastly, if you don't an interest in the game, then don't enter! Everyone on GAF has different tastes and a person who actually has an interest in a game should have a greater chance of winning it

This dude winning all of these games and not redeeming them is making me kinda pissed off, cause we just aren't people who are sitting on cash. We use money that we get from our paycheck or whatever to make giveaways possible and it's sad as hell to see someone not appreciate what people do around here

It'a always a few people abusing who ruin it for the many, but yeah, I'm starting to feel like the right way to go about doing these ModBot giveaways is throwing out bundle games and just gifting better games directly to people personally.

- Lastly, if you don't an interest in the game, then don't enter! Everyone on GAF has different tastes and a person who actually has an interest in a game should have a greater chance of winning it

This dude winning all of these games and not redeeming them is making me kinda pissed off, cause we just aren't people who are sitting on cash. We use money that we get from our paycheck or whatever to make giveaways possible and it's sad as hell to see someone not appreciate what people do around here

This sounds good to me. As for the give away I'm doing today I personally don't care what you do with the games as long as you're not selling them for profit. If you win a game you don't want or already have you're free to trade it with another winner if you're so inclined, otherwise give it away again yourself.

Repost:
The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!

Everyone is free to enter. If you already own the game you win, feel free to give it away here. +1 to your modbot lootstash. You should all enter for the grand prize.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (phoenix296, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-B0F744CEFE11B547 - Taken by Indignate. 33 entrants total.
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A8790DD02D76D40B - Taken by SSPssp. 46 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EEC3610A6EEF9907 - Taken by adaen. 26 entrants total.
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-8A9147987C89DEDB - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 38 entrants total.
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-397AB214A7C23A97 - Taken by DJSebolski. 66 entrants total.
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-9852D0C5A2A7CCC5 - Taken by Stuggernaut. 28 entrants total.

t1406272235z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom