• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man the sound direction for this game on greenlight is so innovative. I've never heard anything like it.

did you watch the pillar of eternity quicklook yet dude? dat based obsidian

edit: Mass_Pincup claimed your Legends of Persia key. There were 6 entrants.

Thanks again for being generous.

good lord at the throttles, game has been up for hours :p

Cheddahz

Banned
Man the sound direction for this game on greenlight is so innovative. I've never heard anything like it.

tumblr_inline_n8y4ghw7j21s8u9k3.gif

Corpekata

Banned
That Default Dan game, despite looking terrible, and the ripoff stuff, actually seems like an amusing idea for a game in someone else's hands.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
awesome modbot actually updates posts with who took them now even if you repost them

Speevy

Banned
They should do a topsy turvy day on Steam.

For one day, every game on Greenlight is greenlit and released. You may buy it for one day and one day only.

For one day, every game currently available is on Steam greenlight and not available for purchase.

The next day, everything switches back to normal. The top 10 most voted games from the previous day get sales. The top 10 most bought games from the previous day get greenlit.

What do you think?

For one day, every game on Greenlight is greenlit and released. You may buy it for one day and one day only.

For one day, every game currently available is on Steam greenlight and not available for purchase.

The next day, everything switches back to normal. The top 10 most voted games from the previous day get sales. The top 10 most bought games from the previous day get greenlit.

What do you think?

Well many of the games on greenlight aren't even ready for release. I don't think it is a good idea, although clever.

Dr Dogg

Dark is all right as a $10 title.

Dark, it's DLC, A:CM, it's Story DLC and Dark Souls II Season Pass for around £24 so it's not like I've spent my life savings or anything. Though I get this weird kick out of playing a bad game more than a competent one these days.

No no no no no no no no no no.
*vietnam flashback in shower*

But seriously, those aren't even the bottom of the barrel, that's through the bottom fo the barrel into the cesspit below.

Well I liked Ride to Hell so I'm a man of appalling taste. Incidentally disregard everything I say about a game ever.

header_292x136.jpg

cavestory3juxg.png

Finished Cave Story+. Well actually not even close...

Nice write up. I've tried to get into Cave Story a few times (I think I've got barely 40 mins played). Half my problem was I didn't feel I was progressing anywhere and did feel like I was going round in cicles. I didn't even get close to a boss. Really must pull my finger out one day.

If I vote 3,200 more times I will catch up to you! There's a game on kickstarter that I am going to back, after they submit to greenlight and it's in the list I expect to see you vote on it. :p

It's a futile endeavour trying to out Greenlight Stump unless you check it every single day. I bet Stump has voted for pulled games as well so that's counts against your score even if they're taken down. I think I've voted for about 8 games so I'm waaaaaaay behind.

Toki767

Not much but I don't really like unused bundle games sitting in my virtual inventory collecting virtual dust if someone wants them.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Toki767, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Millie -- MB-002907B032DC91AC - Taken by Kifimbo
Dysan the Shapeshifter -- MB-F4927FBA2A00F4A8 - Taken by Firehead
Ichi -- MB-4068FCE7248B64E7 - Taken by fernandes
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-5A1920F793F1BDA7 - Taken by Marky

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's probably going to make it on Steam. I remember the Game Grumps playing it at some point, and it's already got a decent amount of groundswell.

It looks pretty not great.

What do you think?

I think that JaseC would be broke by the end of that day trying to buy as many games as possible.

0pr6i7F.png

Just had a really good run in FTL, second best so far. Got to sector 6, then stranded with no fuel and up against an enemy ship with two deflector drones and me with just an ion cannon, a combat drone and a beam drone.
Basically had to wait until he took my hull down from 80% to zero. Unlocked the stealth ship on the way there though, so I'll try that out.

AHA-Lambda

The first mission of Gods Will Be Watching is completely fair and watching the animations of the hostages makes it pretty easy to manage in multiple ways. Had a blast with having to manage so many different things at once. The second mission on the other hand has a bit near the end which is luck based and subsequently rather frustrating if you get unlucky. Still, rather intense and it fits the tone. Main problem with the second mission is its very, very long with lots and dialogue and while the length makes it rather nailbiting it also makes it very frustrating when you fail for the 5th time while figuring out how far you can push yourself.

I found the hostage animations very ambiguous and unreliable I had people who were shaking yet still brave enough to try and tackle me.

Rhaknar

wow.... all this happen without me knowing anything

you won the game

you did not activate it, for mysterious reasons, like your other games (that you now have activated I guess)

why does this come as a surprise to you?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of ItsGeeMcGee, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ItsGeeMcGee, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King -- MB-1D64204E49B029EF - Taken by NG28. 42 entrants total.

t1406244526z1.png

Indignate

I got to the part last night in Sudeki that I remember the most. It's right after you full control of all four party members and the combat really starts to open up a bit.

So, naturally, I made way too many webms for it. I tried to use every character a bit more that than I normally do and show off more of their skills.

http://a.pomf.se/owmxij.webm

This second fight is the one I remember. It's the first long fight that the game throws at you.

http://a.pomf.se/vgfmnm.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zbgcmp.webm

A little bit of searching indicates you've won 100+ games, including multiple copies of the same games, including in at least one case winning the same game from two different people in the space of two hours.

You're either taking advantage of the system, or careless with other people's generosity to the point where it's entirely understandable that they'd want to block you from continuing to do so. So it goes.

And here I thought I was javadots 2.0

A little bit of searching indicates you've won 100+ games, including multiple copies of the same games, including in at least one case winning the same game from two different people in the space of two hours.

You're either taking advantage of the system, or careless with other people's generosity to the point where it's entirely understandable that they'd want to block you from continuing to do so. So it goes.

wow

Rhaknar

I got to the part last night in Sudeki that I remember the most. It's right after you full control of all four party members and the combat really starts to open up a bit.

So, naturally, I made way too many webms for it. I tried to use every character a bit more that than I normally do and show off more of their skills.

http://a.pomf.se/owmxij.webm

This second fight is the one I remember. It's the first long fight that the game throws at you.

http://a.pomf.se/vgfmnm.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zbgcmp.webm

man that looks cool, I want a sale on it gabe

Ozium

that's quite a misunderstanding.

Toki767

100+ games? I wish I had that kind of luck. How many games has he given?

Sendou

Nice write up. I've tried to get into Cave Story a few times (I think I've got barely 40 mins played). Half my problem was I didn't feel I was progressing anywhere and did feel like I was going round in cicles. I didn't even get close to a boss. Really must pull my finger out one day.

If that's what your problem with the game was then you really should give it another go. Soon after that it's just boss after boss and you go through many different areas in short time.

ev0

Wow. It's crazy, you have people in this thread who swear they're blocked because luck never goes their way. Then you have stuff like this

Aye, the additions to the combat put the game above Arkham Asylum to me because of how much it offers. One aspect I found that I never see too many people talk about due to I guess the lack of interest in the challenge predator maps or preferring to just stick with what works rather than attempting to use as much as possible, is how much of the game can be done without really ever getting face to face with the enemy.'

I love for example while going across Arkham City's overworld near the museum during the period most of the enemies have guns and just taking them all out without ever being seen. I could glide down and kick them all, but it's much more enjoyable as I casually play the game (as I am now, if anyone looks at my Steam profile screenshots and activity feed) to freeze some while pulling one off a roof or using a Batarang to knock someone out or blasting an enemy into another or using the explosives well. It's not needed, it doesn't change the main point of the game, but a small little puzzle of my own choosing.

Likewise I love how I can play a Predator Map, say the subway map and ignore the Medal Requirements and try and K.O. every enemy on the map without ever coming into physical contact with them. Explode their own mines to take out some or using the Remote Batarang to knock a guard who just climbed up the ladder or use the grapple to pull someone down and it's all in good challenging fun of my own making.

I also personal enjoy always trying for the Perfect Freeflow 2.0, the do every combat move and combo. Not always possible in game due to lack of enemies or them being rather weak, but easily keeps away the "you can just button mash to win, it's boring" that alas some run into and harms the game for them.
Yes I know it's not forced on you and to some have the mindset that if there is something easy and cheap they have to use it, but for me battles never get tiresome for me and I'm currently playing Arkham City for the sixth time to full trophy/achievement completion.

Agreed on all counts, though I'll say that the specific medals in predator challenges are great and help combat the "I can just do what works/button mash" mentality you mentioned.

The game could have done more to better introduce players to all the options available in the main game — I admit I wasn't that thrilled with the game the first time through — but it still manages to get good mileage out of the gadgets/moves/techniques through side content like challenge maps and Riddler challenges (e.g. "perform three aerial attacks in one combo").

That's an area that I found Origins to excel in. Having the challenge map-style challenges in the main game's "Dark Knight system" encouraged and rewarded more creative play. It wasn't perfect and wasn't balanced to where someone can reasonably complete it in a single play-through (certain challenges require certain situations that don't all respawn), but it was less possible to miss than in AC. On top of that, the actual challenge map medals were even more involved, though some of the jankier aspects of the game's mechanics made them occasionally frustrating.

I hope Rocksteady puts more peripheral abilities like the grapnel boost (plus grapnel boost takedown) and line launcher takedowns front and center so that more people can appreciate that stuff. Unlocking this stuff throughout the game can be good for a sense of progression, but it sucks that people can miss out on the grapnel boost and its functions because it's entirely optional to unlock, but completely changes how an aspect of the game works.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
they could have just pm and ask me....

Right in the rules it states:

Givers shouldn't have to do homework to make sure their keys are being used as intended. That still doesn't explain claiming multiple copies of the same games.

Hugstable

Banned
100+ games? I wish I had that kind of luck. How many games has he given?

Yeah that's a shitload of wins ha. Then again it's not too hard to get a decent amount of games if you go for the bundle games that don't have a raffle timer on it. That's how I ended up with most of my wins so far, which is amazing for me because I missed out on alot of these amazing games that were bundled since I just recently got back into PC gaming during the summer sale this year. But still 100 wins with multiple copies of the same game.. wow.

Cheddahz

Banned
Let's get this straight...

- You should only enter for games that you don't have (if it's a mystery game and you already own it, then give it away again)
- You should activate the game if you win and don't own the game (even if you like it or not)
- Don't trade games or sell them! People here are being nice and you shouldn't take advantage of them
- Lastly, if you don't an interest in the game, then don't enter! Everyone on GAF has different tastes and a person who actually has an interest in a game should have a greater chance of winning it

This dude winning all of these games and not redeeming them is making me kinda pissed off, cause we just aren't people who are sitting on cash. We use money that we get from our paycheck or whatever to make giveaways possible and it's sad as hell to see someone not appreciate what people do around here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom