• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

ßthePenguin;122510059 said:
Ya. I feel Avengers is a little over-hyped though, so most people may probably still rate Avengers higher after watching. Guardians too really is a fine mix out of action and humour. Kind of the closest we can hope for to a new Firefly/Serenity!

You still stuck? I played through it in the last week (with the help of a little cat in here, heh) and can help you out. Some of the puzzles are a bit off really.
I have just been using a gamefaq to get through it when i am stuck. I hate hate hate getting stick on puzzles for long periods of times and the only thing I hate more is looking up answers online. I don't want to use a guide but then I don't get to experience the game that I do enjoy playing as I would just give up. Oh well. Game is still fun.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Some game was duplicated.. and some time give them to my brother acc http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046941000 and he have acc here but still new I think it's kjakj or something like that

and my other brother acc here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001847565 i some time give him some of the key i won...

if u want to ask me anything i am here i don't like to hide anything

This is me at my most compassionate: if you aren't already, you will be on the global blacklist. The only thing you can hope to change at this point is the text under your username to "banned."

Give up while you're ahead.

pahamrick

It'a always a few people abusing who ruin it for the many, but yeah, I'm starting to feel like the right way to go about doing these ModBot giveaways is throwing out bundle games and just gifting better games directly to people personally.

Don't do that until I win Dead Rising 3, k?
Kidding, mostly.

On topic, I've been on a Fallout kick recently. I modded out Fallout 3 and tried to get back into it, and I just couldn't. Might be because I played the hell out of it on 360 when it first came out, or it could be because I just like New Vegas so much more.

So, yeah, I started New Vegas back up after getting some more mods. This game? Still so good. It is a shame if Obsidian never does another Fallout.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
So is Halfway worth buying? I'm hearing mixed reviews from you guys on Gods. half saying its good. the other saying its bad.

what I played of it - I'd say it's pretty entertaining and quite cool ... but then again - I didn't play it for too long

Yes. It was my first and (currently) only Vonnegut, and I found it to be a fairly straightforward, unintimidating, and of course, enjoyable read. Not difficult to finish in a few sittings. Though I do come from a Science Fiction background, so if you're new to the genre or don't like dealing with that meta-quasi-don't-necessarily-take-this-shit-at-face-value stuffs, might take bit a more effort than expected.

Yeah, read Sci-Fi almost exclusively. Thanks, I'll pick up a copy.

Enco

This is me at my most compassionate: if you aren't already, you will be on the global blacklist. The only thing you can hope to change at this point is the text under your username to "banned."

Give up while you're ahead.
Eh? Banning him seems way too harsh.

I can see why some people aren't happy but no harm has been caused.

He has explained himself. Sure it's dodgy and isn't very nice but to ban him for it would be too much in my opinion.

Blocking him from giveaways is enough if you wanted to punish him.

I'm definitely enjoying Gods, incredibly tough and the decisions aren't structured in such a way that makes sense for the game. For example, in the third mission you can produce an antidote in 1 turn but it has a very high chance of being lethal and you will lose out in man power to continue digging an exit. I didn't want to kill anyone so subsequently it takes longer to craft. There's a lot to balance in the missions so far. After you craft an antidote you have to test it, and the various people in your party have different weights and will recover faster. As you can imagine the people who recover faster also are the ones who do other things like keep the power running or even craft the things keeping you awake. Can be a bit overwhelming but getting through it is very satisfying.

The only thing I've had an issue with so far is there is one bit in the second chapter where you have a 1/7 chance of failing instantly which works incredibly well in context of the situation(I was certainly biting my nails) but is equally annoying when you get that chance.

It reminds me a lot of Pathologic or the Void in that you will absolutely have to restart a few times but you slowly figure out what works, and what doesn't and subsequent attempts become much easier. One thing that is a bit annoying though is all the missions are relatively lengthy and if you fail you might have to repeat 20 minutes of gameplay.

Achievements seem brutal though and heavily luck dependent.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
they could have just pm and ask me....
That's not how this works, buddy. It isn't their duty to make sure people redeem the games they won, that is supposed to be standard procedure. Failing to do so goes against ModBot's rules, and in my opinion is enough reason to get a well deserved permablock.

Oh no, you and CosmicQueso are the only two instances of it I can tolerate and appreciate. The rest will disappear if I ever become Earth's dictator.

Thumbs up.

viamymysterymeat.gif

MayMay

Banned
Some leftover humble games for y'all. No raffle, and FFA - so go ham.

ModBot said:
Instructions for EzioCroft:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (EzioCroft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Thief Gold -- MB-7FB20436140016FE - Taken by Exuro
Daikatana -- MB-12CF1669AB5E955D - Taken by gabbo
Mini Ninjas -- MB-29D43E7094B38B83 - Taken by WisK
Anachronox -- MB-7C5714B7C5E3B92D - Taken by Natty1

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
There's a... bizarre DRM-free Groupees bundle. Not going to list the things in it, but maybe it's... relevant to someone's interests?
People with kids, maybe?

As someone with a young daughter, it's still not relevant or desirable to me. All of those are just awful games and for what they attempt to do, there exists many titles for free that do it better with the same type of aesthetics.

How they came up with this bundle I have no idea, but I really wish they hadn't.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm definitely enjoying Gods, incredibly tough and the decisions aren't structured in such a way that makes sense for the game. For example, in the third mission you can produce an antidote in 1 turn but it has a very high chance of being lethal and you will lose out in man power to continue digging an exit. I didn't want to kill anyone so subsequently it takes longer to craft. There's a lot to balance in the missions so far. After you craft an antidote you have to test it, and the various people in your party have different weights and will recover faster. As you can imagine the people who recover faster also are the ones who do other things like keep the power running or even craft the things keeping you awake. Can be a bit overwhelming but getting through it is very satisfying.

The only thing I've had an issue with so far is there is one bit in the second chapter where you have a 1/7 chance of failing instantly which works incredibly well in context of the situation(I was certainly biting my nails) but is equally annoying when you get that chance.

It reminds me a lot of Pathologic or the Void in that you will absolutely have to restart a few times but you slowly figure out what works, and what doesn't and subsequent attempts become much easier. One thing that is a bit annoying though is all the missions are relatively lengthy and if you fail you might have to repeat 20 minutes of gameplay.

Achievements seem brutal though and heavily luck dependent.
that's pretty good pedigree to have

H1PSTER

Blocking him from giveaways is enough, though he needs to stop posting about it and give it time to cool down as he is just digging himself deeper and deeper, a short ban would force a cooling off period and we can get back to talking about Saorise Rionan.

Jawmuncher

This sounds good to me. As for the give away I'm doing today I personally don't care what you do with the games as long as you're not selling them for profit. If you win a game you don't want or already have you're free to trade it with another winner if you're so inclined, otherwise give it away again yourself.

Repost:
The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!

Everyone is free to enter. If you already own the game you win, feel free to give it away here. +1 to your modbot lootstash. You should all enter for the grand prize.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys.

Try the prototype to see if you like it. Apparently the complete version's gameplay isn't all that different from it, even if the situations are.

Happy Birthday you two.
It IS you guys birthday right?

---------

zer0man the jig is up.
You're better off just jumping ship at this point.

that's pretty good pedigree to have

Don't get me wrong, isn't nearly as interesting as those games but it has a similar method of progression which one will either hate or come to accept. Of course those are two of my favorite games so Gods not being in the same league obviously isn't an insult on its own :p

Speevy

Banned

He has explained himself. Sure it's dodgy and isn't very nice but to ban him for it would be too much in my opinion.

Well, I see it another way.

Modbot was created to bring the community together. If there's someone undermining that by collecting keys for their own benefit, there's a lot of users who aren't getting the games they deserve.

If someone's view of Modbot is simply just a bunch of bundle keys being thrown around, then yeah, no big deal. Some of us however take our own hard-earned money and get games for the community. If someone took my game and sold it for profit, yeah, I want them banned.

I don't know zeroOman at all, and I'm not necessarily defending him, but could this be a series of simple misunderstandings?

Not redeeming keys right away: Maybe he's lazy and doesn't get around to it for a while? That's possibly inconsiderate and ungrateful to the giver, but it's not exactly a crime.

Giving keys away to his brother and friend (or whoever): Maybe he didn't know about this rule? I think it's written in every giveaway, but English doesn't appear to be his first language (hope that doesn't sound bad - I'm not intending it to be anything other than what it is: a statement of fact).

Claiming multiple keys: This is the only one I'm unsure of. How many keys are we talking? If it's the occasional second key, that could happen. I've won keys that ended up being already used or there was some other issue with them. I might try for those games again if they come up. But these are rare instances. If we're talking 4-5 keys for the same game though, then yeah, that's a bit sketchy.

I think zeroOman has tried to explain himself, albeit very clumsily, so I don't think he should be banned from GAF. That's too harsh IMO. Banned from giveaways? I dunno. I can see both sides of that argument.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't get me wrong, isn't nearly as interesting as those games but it has a similar method of progression which one will either hate or come to accept. Of course those are two of my favorite games so Gods not being in the same league obviously isn't an insult on its own :p
i really wish ice pick did a decent translation of pathologic

i don't understand shit about that game :/

Double

I have just been using a gamefaq to get through it when i am stuck. I hate hate hate getting stick on puzzles for long periods of times and the only thing I hate more is looking up answers online. I don't want to use a guide but then I don't get to experience the game that I do enjoy playing as I would just give up. Oh well. Game is still fun.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Actually, I'm dumb enough to rather give up on a game instead of looking it up. The reason why I, to this day, haven't played through Day of the Tentacle... :(

Strazyplus

Some game was duplicated.. and some time give them to my brother acc http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046941000 and he have acc here but still new I think it's kjakj or something like that

and my other brother acc here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001847565 i some time give him some of the key i won...

if u want to ask me anything i am here i don't like to hide anything

Gonna be straight up of this blacklisting thing but first:

The giveaways apply for should be directly for you only, . Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site. If he is part of NeoGAF then maybe then your safe. If not then I say Family applies to this rule too.

However what makes me scared of the blacklist is how unsure of its process, I get the feeling its done secretly and silently that usually the one blocked doesn't even know it.

That is what bothers me about it, as I think it should be more transparent and part of the public knowledge, specially for those marked as throttled should be notified. If they cause problems well ban them from NeoGAF.

I like to hear everyones thoughts of this "Transparency"

iosefe

I think zeroOman tried to explain himself, albeit very clumsily, so I don't think he should be banned from GAF. That's too harsh IMO. Banned from giveaways? I dunno. I can see both sides of that argument.

he's admited to winning giveaway and then giving to people outside gaf. by that token, he has broken the ModBot Giveaway rules and would be banned from further giveaways other than garbage dumps

HoosTrax

Not redeeming keys right away: Maybe he's lazy and doesn't get around to it for a while? That's possibly inconsiderate and ungrateful to the giver, but it's not exactly a crime.
He's not too lazy to camp this thread for giveaways and then jump on entering them immediately...but yet, redeeming them on Steam is too much effort to bother with?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Claiming multiple keys: This is the only one I'm unsure of. How many keys are we talking? If it's the occasional second key, that could happen. I've won keys that ended up being already used or there was some other issue with them. I might try for those games again if they come up. These are rare instances though. If we're talking 4-5 keys for the same game though, then yeah, that's a bit sketchy.

Directed towards zeroOman:

A little bit of searching indicates you've won 100+ games, including multiple copies of the same games, including in at least one case winning the same game from two different people in the space of two hours.

You're either taking advantage of the system, or careless with other people's generosity to the point where it's entirely understandable that they'd want to block you from continuing to do so. So it goes.

--------

I think zeroOman tried to explain himself, albeit very clumsily, so I don't think he should be banned from GAF. That's too harsh IMO. Banned from giveaways? I dunno. I can see both sides of that argument.

I don't think Banning him is reasonable, especially since Modbot itself is just a personal side project of Stump.

Enco

Well, I see it another way.

Modbot was created to bring the community together. If there's someone undermining that by collecting keys for their own benefit, there's a lot of users who aren't getting the games they deserve.

If someone's view of Modbot is simply just a bunch of bundle keys being thrown around, then yeah, no big deal. Some of us however take our own hard-earned money and get games for the community. If someone took my game and sold it for profit, yeah, I want them banned.
Who says he sold it for profit?

I agree that profiting from these giveaways is too far.

However, there's no proof of this and he said one of his brothers is on GAF so that's less of an issue.

No need to go on a witch hunt.

Not saying his actions were ethical but let's not go crazy.

Lain

Probably by my birthday technically starting 40 minutes ago and me being old enough to have watched Matlock when it first aired.
I love how the posterized version of the Matlock logo looks like a failed attempt at a Breaking Bad style period table element.

Happy birthday!

Jawmuncher

Who says he sold it for profit?

I agree that profiting from these giveaways is too far.

However, there's no proof of this and he said one of his brothers is on GAF so that's less of an issue.

No need to go on a witch hunt.

Not saying his actions were ethical but let's not go crazy.

How any people even have family on GAF? That seems like a stretch when people have been waiting to be activated for like 7 years.

Turfster

Happy birthday!

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else that wished me a happy birthday since my last general thank you.
You're warming the cockles of my feeble, half-atrophied heart ;)

That is what bothers me about it, as I think it should be more transparent and part of the public knowledge, specially for those marked as throttled should be notified. If they cause problems well ban them from NeoGAF.

I like to hear everyones thoughts of this "Transparency"

Eh, we're a small subsection of GAF as a whole, so just banning people seems slightly overkill.

The lack of 'transparency' as you state it is both a hindrance and a blessing, I feel. On the one hand, it's not fun to not win anything in a while (even when not throttled), but on the other hand, if people win too much and are throttled, I'm pretty sure they'd know why they aren't winning.
Same goes for the blacklist, really. It's good that it exists, but it's also good that only Stump knows exactly how it works, so the system cannot be gamed easily.

Toki767

I'm not calling for a forum ban on the guy or anything, but he's clearly abused ModBot in a way that it wasn't intended to be used for.

Someone, who shall not be named unless they want to be, informed me that they looked up zeroOman's posts because I asked how many games he had given away through ModBot.

The answer? 3 games. 3 games from bundles at that. Probably could have just spent $1 on all that.

Then you consider he's won over 100+ games while you have people who have give far more than and won far less.

This has definitely disinterested me from using ModBot more in the future. Particularly when there are probably more like him that have yet to be discovered.

More extras:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Armoured Priest, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sugar Cube Bittersweet Factory -- MB-9A8954FFBF145FF6
Montas -- MB-468B00AC0A67D7BA - Taken by Dusk Golem. 3 entrants total.
Steal & Steam Episode 1 -- MB-E2C175181750801C

t1406254366z1.png

and some leftovers...please take them:

[Desura] Cafe 0 -- MB-1F30F5DE1CDC1265
[Steam] Savant Ascent -- MB-0D3B850B6169434B

Copons

I don't know about you, but I'm really excited for whatever chubigans is working on.

Well, considering all the time, concentration and absence of proper eye wetting needed to get to 296, you can easily imagine my reaction when I read the in-game email unveiling he's working on a new game. :)

Keep in mind that Spring-Loaded thinks the city is a lot better than the asylum, as are the ways of traversing it, so don't take my opinion as fact. Be sure you've heard both sides of the story :p

Yuup, I've read more about it, even newer posts too, and I'm actually starting too feel the need to finally play it.
Too bad Monday I'm leaving for vacation for a couple of weeks and until then I guess my life will basically be monopolized by D:OS, but I hope as soon as I come back I'll start AC (and eventually AO)!

Probably by my birthday technically starting 40 minutes ago and me being old enough to have watched Matlock when it first aired.
I love how the posterized version of the Matlock logo looks like a failed attempt at a Breaking Bad style period table element.

Happy birthday, yo!

Shadownet

Banned

Blocking him from giveaways is enough, though he needs to stop posting about it and give it time to cool down as he is just digging himself deeper and deeper, a short ban would force a cooling off period and we can get back to talking about Saoirse Ronan.

I agree, globally blacklist him is enough. To ensure he can never win another giveaway if blacklist is on. banning might be a bit too extreme, but I wouldn't cry over it if he was banned.

Oh and we're not allow to talk about Saoirse or anyone else. Cause some people doesn't like it.

---------------

I just installed a extended sex cutscene mod and better bodies mod for Dragon Age Origins, what have I become?

Milamber

Jawmuncher

I just installed a extended sex cutscene mod and better bodies mod for Dragon Age Origins, what have I become?

A person who enjoys making their gaming experience the best it can be.

That must've been a mistake and the process is much faster these days, I only had to wait a few weeks.

It's completely possible.

7 years seems like a bit of a stretch although I don't know much about wait times.

That was from Oziuma post earlier in the thread. Figured there were other cases like that. Was never quite sure on the process since I signed up and forgot about it until later.

gabbo

Some leftover humble games for y'all. No raffle, and FFA - so go ham.

Can't believe I went there and wanted it, but yes. Thanks for Daikatana
Edit: My teenage-self can't believe I just grabbed it. Guess Romero will have a digital version to make me his bitch either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom