• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must've been a mistake and the process is much faster these days, I only had to wait a few weeks.
Took me six months or so to get on GAF when I first signed up. Then the server crashed (or something like that) and my membership was lost. Had to reapply and wait another six months. :) Don't know how it is now though...

Shadownet

Banned
Took me six months or so to get on GAF when I first signed up. Then the server crashed (or something like that) and my membership was lost. Had to reapply and wait another six months. :) Don't know how it is now though...

I think it took me 2-3 months. But that was this year.

-----------

I have a Killing Floor Guest Pass. if anyone want it. I can't raffle it away or do a garbage dump. I can't send it to myself. so if you want it. just let me know, i'll add you on Steam and give it to you. :)

hohoXD123

Mmm, love me some drama. But seriously, I now have another name to add to my blacklist.

I'm not calling for a forum ban on the guy or anything, but he's clearly abused ModBot in a way that it wasn't intended to be used for.

Someone, who shall not be named unless they want to be, informed me that they looked up zeroOman's posts because I asked how many games he had given away through ModBot.

The answer? 3 games. 3 games from bundles at that. Probably could have just spent $1 on all that.

Then you consider he's won over 100+ games while you have people who have give far more than and won far less.

This has definitely disinterested me from using ModBot more in the future. Particularly when there are probably more like him that have yet to be discovered.
Guess that's what you sacrifice for convenience when using modbot. Despite stumpy's much appreciated efforts I'm sure some abusers still fall through the cracks, rather just do everything by PM/wishlists for higher value giveaways.

Kiru

Some game was duplicated.. and some time give them to my brother acc http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046941000 and he have acc here but still new I think it's kjakj or something like that

and my other brother acc here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001847565 i some time give him some of the key i won...

if u want to ask me anything i am here i don't like to hide anything
Oh I see Bastion is on the second account there. Makes sense now.^^

A person who enjoys making their gaming experience the best it can be.

That was from Oziuma post earlier in the thread. Figured there were other cases like that. Was never quite sure on the process since I signed up and forgot about it until later.

A worthy contender in the making for Milambert's throne

This is some raunchy ass content I just downloaded, but I still got some work to go to win the throne.

HoosTrax

I'd probably be less bothered by the disproportionate winning thing if it were a user who has actually demonstrated a modicum of interest in anything besides PS4 / XB threads and posting about politics in the community forum. It places doubt on the keys being put to good use, either for collector or playing purposes.

A couple of years ago, I recall someone else who I won't name winning quite a few giveaways (but via "first to quote wins it" system, since it was before modbot), but that user at least contributed quote a lot to the various Steam threads since and they've become a bit of a thread regular.

Toki767

Guess that's what you sacrifice for convenience when using modbot. Despite stumpy's much appreciated efforts I'm sure some abusers still fall through the cracks, rather just do everything by PM/wishlists for higher value giveaways.

Probably going to be my outlook from now on. Reward those who clearly make an effort and actually deserve quality games and just dump bundle games I can't be bothered to find owners for on ModBot.

Altazor

Probably by my birthday technically starting 40 minutes ago and me being old enough to have watched Matlock when it first aired.
I love how the posterized version of the Matlock logo looks like a failed attempt at a Breaking Bad style period table element.

Oi, happy birthday! Hope you have a good one! :D

On the subject of giveaway abuse... it's a shame. I try to avoid entering giveaways about games that don't interest me and/or I know I won't have that much time to play. As a fairly recent SteamGAF user (a year ago!), I'm still at that point where I have few (compared to others) games in my library yet still a decent backlog of games that I know I'll play - so the Steam meta-game of GOTTA CATCH/BUY/TRADE 'EM ALL still hasn't begun for me.

I was sorta willing to give this user the benefit of the doubt but considering he has won over 100 games and just gave away one, plus not activating keys he has won PLUS entering multiple times for the same keys... I don't think his actions are particularly defensible. On the other hand, I don't think we should turn this into a witch hunt lest we end up nurturing a mutual distrust which would tear the community spirit apart.

Just my 2 cents, though.

Damn it Dusk, I'm just now eligible for that one and I'm throttled.

Great giveaway.

Uh... why would you be throttled in 13 hours when the winner is chosen?
Get your ass entered, buddy.

I'd probably be less bothered by the disproportionate winning thing if it were a user who has actually demonstrated a modicum of interest in anything besides PS4 / XB threads and posting about politics in the community forum. It places doubt on the keys being put to good use, either for collector or playing purposes.

A couple of years ago, I recall someone else who I won't name winning quite a few giveaways (but via "first to quote wins it" system, since it was before modbot), but that user at least contributed quote a lot to the various Steam threads since and they've become a bit of a thread regular.

And then there's always the infamous Javadots.

I'd probably be less bothered by the disproportionate winning thing if it were a user who has actually demonstrated a modicum of interest in anything besides PS4 / XB threads and posting about politics in the community forum. It places doubt on the keys being put to good use, either for collector or playing purposes
I can't agree with this in general terms. It's a smart use of GAF to find good threads like this one and stick to them. Otherwise, GAF can be kind of a wild west crapshoot in terms of who/what you run into. I doubt I'm the first person to say that the Steam thread is one of the nicest and mellowest places on GAF.

Strazyplus

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else that wished me a happy birthday since my last general thank you.
You're warming the cockles of my feeble, half-atrophied heart ;)

Eh, we're a small subsection of GAF as a whole, so just banning people seems slightly overkill.

The lack of 'transparency' as you state it is both a hindrance and a blessing, I feel. On the one hand, it's not fun to not win anything in a while (even when not throttled), but on the other hand, if people win too much and are throttled, I'm pretty sure they'd know why they aren't winning.
Same goes for the blacklist, really. It's good that it exists, but it's also good that only Stump knows exactly how it works, so the system cannot be gamed easily.

What I meant was by revealing that he is no longer allowed to win games, if they cause a ruckus (mad for being throttled of banned from giveaways) just remove them like normal. as I consider NeoGAF members more mature than the average crowd because it is not a easy community to get into.

I just installed a extended sex cutscene mod and better bodies mod for Dragon Age Origins, what have I become?
BRB, installing Dragon Age Origins. I played through it on a console but I heard that it is better on PC. Something about it playing differently? Anyways, just one more game on the huge backlog pile!

user237

How did we trigger this banner?

I dunno but it made me watch the Matlock theme song and I noticed

76HW441.png

is that an alpaca?

I've been doing that and even I got complaint about it.

That's kinda what I do now too, even if some people who will remain nameless, might feel guilty (don't!) or just outright refuse me. :p

If only I had more clout, like a mafia don... then my gifts would be like offers that they can not refuse. :3

ev0

Almost done
This is a key from GameOrge.com PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY REDEEMED THIS PROMO FROM GAMEOGRE.COM. IT WILL NOT WORK THANKS

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858466.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ev0, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Marvel Heroes 2015 Random Hero Box (www.gameogre.com) -- MB-85FAA01685CE4298 - Taken by RuneWalsh. 19 entrants total.

t1406245364z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just currently lost a guy in Gods Will Be Watching. I figured "Surely this will have some impact", but nope. I'm still talking to him. Having a conversation with his ghost as though he's still alive, the exact same conversation we'd have if he hadn't died that day.

This just feels so utterly pointless and railroaded.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Anyone ever use Steam on a Yoga 2 system? Curious if I should bother installing it for slow times while I am on vacation... basically to game at night :)

It is the Pro version of the Yoga 2, I5 version. I figure I should be able to play some games

BRB, installing Dragon Age Origins. I played through it on a console but I heard that it is better on PC. Something about it playing differently? Anyways, just one more game on the huge backlog pile!

I played it once on 360 and from what I've played on PC it's significantly better with mouse and keyboard and an actual playable framerate. Plus the extended sex cutscene mod is great too.

hohoXD123

That's kinda what I do now too, even if some people who will remain nameless, might feel guilty (don't!) or just outright refuse me. :p

If only I had more clout, like a mafia don... then my gifts would be like offers that they can not refuse. :3

This is where mod powers would be useful.

"Do you value your account? Accept the gift."

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

there's an actual overhead view in the PC version :) that's enough to make it MUCH better than the console versions :)

Shadownet

Banned

I think I know who you're talking about. >_> he's a good guy.

Caerith

I don't know zeroOman at all, and I'm not necessarily defending him, but could this be a series of simple misunderstandings?

Not redeeming keys right away: Maybe he's lazy and doesn't get around to it for a while? That's possibly inconsiderate and ungrateful to the giver, but it's not exactly a crime.

Giving keys away to his brother and friend (or whoever): Maybe he didn't know about this rule? I think it's written in every giveaway, but English doesn't appear to be his first language (hope that doesn't sound bad - I'm not intending it to be anything other than what it is: a statement of fact).

Claiming multiple keys: This is the only one I'm unsure of. How many keys are we talking? If it's the occasional second key, that could happen. I've won keys that ended up being already used or there was some other issue with them. I might try for those games again if they come up. But these are rare instances. If we're talking 4-5 keys for the same game though, then yeah, that's a bit sketchy.

I think zeroOman has tried to explain himself, albeit very clumsily, so I don't think he should be banned from GAF. That's too harsh IMO. Banned from giveaways? I dunno. I can see both sides of that argument.

I think your defense is well-written and your heart is in the right place, but:

Not redeeming keys right away: Last time this happened, I counted at least 20 not in his account, with the earliest being taken in September 2013.

Giving keys away to his brother and friend (or whoever): He has won games which appear neither in his library nor in the libraries of his "brothers."

Claiming multiple keys: I've won multiple copies of games, too. Once winning something I already owned in a mystery raffle, once winning a lightning raffle for a game that I had already entered a long raffle for, then winning the long raffle too. In both cases, I sorted it out with the giver. He's won at least four clearly-labeled duplicates, and with a minimum of two months since winning a game the first time.

I appreciate you not wanting things to turn into a lynch mob, but, in this case, there's a clear pattern of abuse.

HoosTrax

I can't agree with this in general terms. It's a smart use of GAF to find good threads like this one and stick to them. Otherwise, GAF can be kind of a wild west crapshoot in terms of who/what you run into. I doubt I'm the first person to say that the Steam thread is one of the nicest and mellowest places on GAF.
I'm not concerned with the specifics of which threads and topics he like sticks to; I'm pointing out that he has contributed zero, specifically, to the Steam OTs beyond begging for things. Why so much persistent camping of the thread for Steam keys when he's not apparently particularly interested in any of goings on.

Anyways, the whole thing is getting tiresome to harp on, so beyond blacklisting him, it's not really worth fussing over anymore.

Kiru

Oh forgot. Happy Birthday Turfster. Thanks for posting new deals in an organized way. You are also pretty fast at that, even with only one hand, lol.

I started playing Toki Tori 2. This thing has a huge overworld! I have no idea whether I'm supposed to follow every path to its inevitable end, or like, get through a maze.

BHK3

Banned
I don't know zeroOman at all, and I'm not necessarily defending him, but could this be a series of simple misunderstandings?

Not redeeming keys right away: Maybe he's lazy and doesn't get around to it for a while? That's possibly inconsiderate and ungrateful to the giver, but it's not exactly a crime.

Giving keys away to his brother and friend (or whoever): Maybe he didn't know about this rule? I think it's written in every giveaway, but English doesn't appear to be his first language (hope that doesn't sound bad - I'm not intending it to be anything other than what it is: a statement of fact).

Claiming multiple keys: This is the only one I'm unsure of. How many keys are we talking? If it's the occasional second key, that could happen. I've won keys that ended up being already used or there was some other issue with them. I might try for those games again if they come up. But these are rare instances. If we're talking 4-5 keys for the same game though, then yeah, that's a bit sketchy.

I think zeroOman has tried to explain himself, albeit very clumsily, so I don't think he should be banned from GAF. That's too harsh IMO. Banned from giveaways? I dunno. I can see both sides of that argument.

"pm me pls if problem. i give the games to my brothers they use gaf to. big misunderstanding"

He's won over 100 games and handed them out to his 'family' over the course of the month while not activating most and getting duplicate keys as well, and that's his explanination so far. I've seen discussion of his actions for the past two weeks and only now we're getting some sort of explanination which so far is just him declaring ignorance. I've never seen him talk, his giveaways have been bundle games, I don't think a banning is that harsh at all. We have people here listing the rules over and over again like they are hard to understand and restrictive or something.

A little bit of searching indicates you've won 100+ games, including multiple copies of the same games, including in at least one case winning the same game from two different people in the space of two hours.

You're either taking advantage of the system, or careless with other people's generosity to the point where it's entirely understandable that they'd want to block you from continuing to do so. So it goes.

holy fuck.

Sky Chief

Let's get this straight...

- You should only enter for games that you don't have (if it's a mystery game and you already own it, then give it away again)
- You should activate the game if you win and don't own the game (even if you like it or not)
- Don't trade games or sell them! People here are being nice and you shouldn't take advantage of them
- Lastly, if you don't an interest in the game, then don't enter! Everyone on GAF has different tastes and a person who actually has an interest in a game should have a greater chance of winning it

This dude winning all of these games and not redeeming them is making me kinda pissed off, cause we just aren't people who are sitting on cash. We use money that we get from our paycheck or whatever to make giveaways possible and it's sad as hell to see someone not appreciate what people do around here

The bolded rule is the most important as all other rules derive from that. ModBot games should go to people who are genuinely interested in them and want to play them.

Giving them away or not activating them shows that you have no interest in playing the game and is incredibly inconsiderate to other members of the community who would love to play that game.

HoosTrax

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the library is now letting you give custom aliases to game titles and/or reorder them in the list...does my memory fail me? Was that just wishful thinking on my part?

The bolded rule is the most important as all other rules derive from that. ModBot games should go to people who are genuinely interested in them and want to play them.

Giving them away or not activating them shows that you have no interest in playing the game and is incredibly inconsiderate to other members of the community who would love to play that game.
Well I would add the caveat that if it's a common game (like bundle fodder that's flooding the giveaways), then I'm perfectly ok with people taking it to +1 their library.

Caerith

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the library is now letting you give custom aliases to game titles and/or reorder them in the list...does my memory fail me? Was that just wishful thinking on my part?

You can assign games to multiple categories in the beta client, and apparently you can assign multiple games to a category at once.

Edit: Oh, you meant that:

Kinda like that, but only Publishers can do it right now. See AssCreed or the Far Cry games for example.

Kiru

Kinda like that, but only Publishers can do it right now. See AssCreed or the Far Cry games for example. They are in correct order now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom