• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

You know you have bit the Steam bug bad when you got to grab Dark Souls II's Season Pass from Nuuvem, still see their sale is going, and out of wild impulse or some stupid fear that you also pick up Dark and Aliens CM. Granted I like shitty games as more of a scholarly activity but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel even for me :(

No no no no no no no no no no.
*vietnam flashback in shower*

But seriously, those aren't even the bottom of the barrel, that's through the bottom fo the barrel into the cesspit below.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I keep seeing people say they are worried their impressions or thoughts on a game aren't being read. I assure you that there are a lot of us who do read them, we just don't always have a chance to say anything or don't have anything to add. Not to mention the various lurkers in the thread who can't post at all.

As stated, you can always repost them if the game comes up again in discussion, as quite a few of us already do.

So please, share your thoughts, at least you'll know I'll read them.

I'd say the more open map is one of City's least notable additions. The series' bread and butter are combat and stealth/predator gameplay, both of which saw a lot of improvements. The quickfire functions of gadgets adds much to the combat which, when looking back, was incredibly basic in AA. It's hard to believe how much the combat amazed me back when the AA demo was released. It's still good, but just outclassed by AC's. Same with the stealth. All the gadgets have some practical application during those segments. It's more feasible to mix combat and stealth in AC than in AA too; Being able to drop a smoke bomb, then run in and knock out multiple goons, then vanish before the smoke dissipates is both fun and a perfectly Batman-like thing to do. having quickfire functions for gadgets beyond the batarangs helps with that too; I can quickly knock out a guy, freeze a another when he comes around a corner, pull another over a ledge or disarm him with the batclaw, all without having to cycle through or select gadgets on a menu. Whoever managed to map all that to a game pad deserves particular recognition.

I always pimp out this video by BatmanArkhamVideos, but it helps get my point across about how additions like the ice grenade and smoke bomb go far in improving the experience. the rest of that guy's videos do a good job showcasing how good AC is.

Whether you're going stealth or kill-frenzy, the agility is always helpful, same with time stop.

Aye, the additions to the combat put the game above Arkham Asylum to me because of how much it offers. One aspect I found that I never see too many people talk about due to I guess the lack of interest in the challenge predator maps or preferring to just stick with what works rather than attempting to use as much as possible, is how much of the game can be done without really ever getting face to face with the enemy.'

I love for example while going across Arkham City's overworld near the museum during the period most of the enemies have guns and just taking them all out without ever being seen. I could glide down and kick them all, but it's much more enjoyable as I casually play the game (as I am now, if anyone looks at my Steam profile screenshots and activity feed) to freeze some while pulling one off a roof or using a Batarang to knock someone out or blasting an enemy into another or using the explosives well. It's not needed, it doesn't change the main point of the game, but a small little puzzle of my own choosing.

Likewise I love how I can play a Predator Map, say the subway map and ignore the Medal Requirements and try and K.O. every enemy on the map without ever coming into physical contact with them. Explode their own mines to take out some or using the Remote Batarang to knock a guard who just climbed up the ladder or use the grapple to pull someone down and it's all in good challenging fun of my own making.

I also personal enjoy always trying for the Perfect Freeflow 2.0, the do every combat move and combo. Not always possible in game due to lack of enemies or them being rather weak, but easily keeps away the "you can just button mash to win, it's boring" that alas some run into and harms the game for them.
Yes I know it's not forced on you and to some have the mindset that if there is something easy and cheap they have to use it, but for me battles never get tiresome for me and I'm currently playing Arkham City for the sixth time to full trophy/achievement completion.

What if I plan to kill everyone in sight while doing the sneaky deaky? Thanks for the info though from both you and Munch, gonna invest up in some blink the next few runes I find.

Blink is a required skill no matter how one plays, just too useful. Get around quicker, sneak past enemies, or teleport into the air and drop down on an enemy (great against the enemies on stilts later)

Possession will be your friend in this case. Allows you to sneak around using either creatures of the world or other people, and lets you easily set up a variety of deaths through out the game. I enjoy changing the walls of light to let you go, but not the City Guard and then walking through while possessing a City Guard member.

Two hours in with Gods Will Be Watching:

It's not that I don't like difficulty either, I dug Dark Souls' jib, I rock Call of Pripyat with Misery Mod, Teleglitch was my personal number one last year. There's just a difference between difficulty and bad game design and this team doesn't seem to know the difference.

Disappointing to hear, but expected from what I was seeing. Thanks for the impressions, and I guess off the wishlist it goes until perhaps (not likely) they do an improved version via patches (after Burnout Paradise I'm always hopeful).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
normal. only 1 hostage survives, its quite funny. they do say its really hard, especially with all the hostages alive, it gets easier the fewer the hostages.
and you still get captured in the end anyway, its part of the story

I'm sure it's entirely possible to finish as people have done so, but it's not a well designed type of way to do so. There's several RNGs in play that can fuck you and cost you actions you need. Hostages have animations to note how they're feeling but you still have to deal with them while dealing with the cops and the hacking part. You only have 2 actions before the cops move forward. You only have 4-5 actions before the computer needs to be rebooted. You can only really influence up to two hostages at a time, usually just the one.

After a certain point, you can no longer have multiple choices on how to deal with the cops, you have to choose negotiating to hold them in place which becomes useless with less hostages as they move more aggressively or always attack which sends your hostages into a frenzy forcing you to need to manage them more than the computer. It just... doesn't work.

It's great the GB guys got past it, and I'm sure I will, but that does not excuse what is a bunch of really bad decisions all at once. I think the fact that there is a character that is pretty much "Lady Luck" in chapter two which can send you all the way back to the beginning if the RNG doesn't roll your way speaks volumes for how little these developers cared.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super Tranch Attack keys from flying bundle 8 are up

I'm sure it's entirely possible to finish as people have done so, but it's not a well designed type of way to do so. There's several RNGs in play that can fuck you and cost you actions you need. Hostages have animations to note how they're feeling but you still have to deal with them while dealing with the cops and the hacking part. You only have 2 actions before the cops move forward. You only have 4-5 actions before the computer needs to be rebooted. You can only really influence up to two hostages at a time, usually just the one.

After a certain point, you can no longer have multiple choices on how to deal with the cops, you have to choose negotiating to hold them in place which becomes useless with less hostages as they move more aggressively or always attack which sends your hostages into a frenzy forcing you to need to manage them more than the computer. It just... doesn't work.

It's great the GB guys got past it, and I'm sure I will, but that does not excuse what is a bunch of really bad decisions all at once. I think the fact that there is a character that is pretty much "Lady Luck" in chapter two which can send you all the way back to the beginning if the RNG doesn't roll your way speaks volumes for how little these developers cared.

im not sure why im even defending this, I dont know the devs, but you claiming that just because you dont like a design decision means the devs dont care is mind boggling. I dont know about the second chapter luck factor, but from what I saw of chapter 1 I loved everything about it, and every aspect youre shitting about chapter 1 sounds like something I find fascinating. so all I can say is a big fat /shrug

also, only red actions affect turns by the way, blue actions dont, but im sure you know that

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's a weirdo who has been spamming Greenlight with indecipherable barely English description videos and screenshots from Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Several of them have been reported and removed, but he keeps going back and posting them again. This has been going on for like a week, it's bizarre.

Incidentally:
xes4rBE.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I judge the fact that a download finished by the fact that my Steam seizes up and turns completely blank for a few seconds as it does god knows what ;)
Mine does that too. It's very infuriating, and the whole application freezes, so I can't even use the chat until it's done.

Ozium

Super Tranch Attack keys from flying bundle 8 are up

starring dankey kang and sanic

There's a weirdo who has been spamming Greenlight with indecipherable barely English description videos and screenshots from Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Several of them have been reported and removed, but he keeps going back and posting them again. This has been going on for like a week, it's bizarre.

$100 a pop too

Ventara

so you hear 1 random comment saying they arent good and ignore the ones saying they are good?

"The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way. And if you mess up, you have to restart the entire scenario. There's no dealing with your fuck ups."

im sorry, what? In the quicklook they fuck up A LOT and they still pass it. in fact, in the end it has a telltale style ranking system of "how many hostages each player killed" "how many players got into an argument" etc

Rhaknar, man, it's not like that. I've read the good reviews too. It's just that the games aren't as good as I was hoping they'd be based on what I've read. I mean, I have a huge backlog, but was looking to pick these up since they looked amazing. But after reading some comments, both positive and negative, they don't seem to be anything special to get day 1. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I'm just wrong and they really are amazing. In any case, I'll be watching some video reviews since I can usually tell if I'll like a game from seeing it in action.

I hope I explained myself properly. I'm at work right now, so I can't post for too long.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Incidentally:
xes4rBE.png

It's either performance art or the poster is suffering from a mental disorder. I don't really want to make fun of them as it could easily be the latter.

Hugstable

Banned
Blink is a required skill no matter how one plays, just too useful. Get around quicker, sneak past enemies, or teleport into the air and drop down on an enemy (great against the enemies on stilts later)

Possession will be your friend in this case. Allows you to sneak around using either creatures of the world or other people, and lets you easily set up a variety of deaths through out the game. I enjoy changing the walls of light to let you go, but not the City Guard and then walking through while possessing a City Guard member.

Interesting, so that's how I'm supposed to get that achievement! I'm really enjoying my high chaos playthrough and all the options they have given me so far. It's like in that first mission alone you have about 5 or 6 different paths alone just to get to Clavering Path, and that to me was amazing. I made sure I discovered and explored each path and any extra stuff they might have led to. Everything about this game is bringing back the nostalgia of the first time I played the original Deus Ex, exploring every path that was open to the augments and exploration skills that I had.

So what do you guys think the the overall best powers to invest in for Dishonored? I got points in Animal Control and the vitality and health Regen so far, as well as Rat Swarm.

Blink hands down. Regardless of your play style (stealth or murder simulator), the skill is super useful and just flat out fun to zip around.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Already asked this, apparently Sony published it.

And that's a shame, because I'd love to buy it on PC. I mainly missed out on PSP games other than Trails (was able to borrow it from a friend at one point along with the Tactics Ogre PSP game), so I'd love to have the opportunity to buy that and others that aren't available on PC.

Like the Personas.

I've been reporting all of the NFS ones, I mentioned the other day that I don't really get the point of why the Russian guy is putting them up and now I'm not sure why this guy is doing it either. Neither of them having anything else on Greenlight so it's not an advertisement for anything else, and I can't really see either being anything more than spamming and trying to be a joke? I don't know.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I've been reporting all of the NFS ones, I mentioned the other day that I don't really get the point of why the Russian guy is putting them up and now I'm not sure why this guy is doing it either. Neither of them having anything else on Greenlight so it's not an ad, and I can't really see either being anything more than spamming and trying to be a joke? I don't know.

but aren't jokes supposed to be ... you know ... funny?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
These impressions for Gods Will Be Watching turned me off so much that I just uninstalled the family shared copy I had access to.

If you've got free access to it by all means give it a shot. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on it are. I'm intrigued by ricochetguro's positive impressions which is partially why I have yet to give up on the title. I'm not stopping until I finish and will be sure to post my final thoughts after it's all said and done.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For a later play through of Dishonored I also recommending learning to take advantage of the wind power. Not just to cause enemies to be blasted away or defend yourself against knife throwers, but because you can also have a lot of fun throwing a grenade and just blasting it toward enemies yourself.

The freedom one has in this game really is quite great, especially once you start combining things together with the time powers. Again, in later play thoughs when it's less about trying for any one particular style and just messing about.

Jawmuncher

No proble-

Dammit!

But for reals, I'll give back with my own giveaway. I'm poor, so it won't be anything expensive like Divinity or Dark Souls, though. More like good cheap game from the weekly sale.

That wasn't for you but Zer0man.
Its different to win stuff and play it and another to win and then hoard it for whatever reason.

derExperte

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433918461#announcements/detail/246888230503417540

Steam Client Beta Update - July 24th
25 JULY - ALFRED
We've just published a new beta which includes the following changes.

Steam Client
Fixed crash when using drop downs in the web control
Fixed mods and shortcuts not displaying their names correctly in the friends interface and server browser
Fixed crash when launching Medieval II: Total War
Fixed background colors in games list cycling when using multi-select

Steam Music Beta
Allow minimizing of the Music Player window
Set title of Music Player window, but don't show it in the window

Big Picture
Fix notifications not animating correctly

Someone's working overtime.

Sendou

header_292x136.jpg

cavestory3juxg.png

Finished Cave Story+. Well actually not even close... Quit at the final boss (of normal ending). I just didn't feel like I would have any fun with the game from that point onwards. I can deal with harder games (I don't think Cave Story even is that hard) but they have to be very special that I absolutely adore. Cave Story wasn't a game like that to me. Still I thought the game was decent enough. I'm just having hard time understanding the cult status it has if we just objectively look what the game accomplish rather than what it represents.

The core gameplay is solid as hell. Different weapons all make sense. Weapons downgrading is a neat mechanic that actually makes the game. You have to really pay attention and avoid enemy attacks. Didn't like insta-deaths the developers put there and there. I understand that this whole game is supposed to be a throwback but that doesn't excuse it to me. Likewise sudden bosses with no save point right before were pretty annoying. Luckily there was just one or two cases of those. Music is pretty great all around as are the pixel graphics. Wide variety of environments all of which are very distinctive.

I encountered one bug that apparently is known and Nicalis just never fixed it. Causes a crash at the end of this certain challenge course mode. Well that was the last time I tried that mode. Interested to see how Kero Blaster is. Hoping it comes to Steam soon.

Incidentally:
Insane number of greenlight votes

If I vote 3,200 more times I will catch up to you! There's a game on kickstarter that I am going to back, after they submit to greenlight and it's in the list I expect to see you vote on it. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Frayed Knights keys from groupees indie bundle are up (im on a roll, who needs that wiki site!)

Toki767

Nothing in particular, but it tells you what giveaways you qualify for when you enter the my loot command. Are some giveaway games not eligible?

I don't think it actually tells you whether you qualify for megagivers or not. At least, I've never seen it tell me either.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nothing in particular, but it tells you what giveaways you qualify for when you enter the my loot command. Are some giveaway games not eligible?

I don't think it does. It should just say " You have given away X games. (Y eligible for 'givers only' rules.)" If Y is 25+ you should qualify.

Hugstable

Banned
header_292x136.jpg

cavestory3juxg.png

Finished Cave Story+. Well actually not even close... Quit at the final boss (of normal ending). I just didn't feel like I would have any fun with the game from that point onwards. I can deal with harder games (I don't think Cave Story even is that hard) but they have to be very special that I absolutely adore. Cave Story wasn't a game like that to me. Still I thought the game was decent enough. I'm just having hard time understanding the cult status it has if we just objectively look what the game accomplish rather than what it represents.

The core gameplay is solid as hell. Different weapons all make sense. Weapons downgrading is a neat mechanic that actually makes the game. You have to really pay attention and avoid enemy attacks. Didn't like insta-deaths the developers put there and there. I understand that this whole game is supposed to be a throwback but that doesn't excuse it to me. Likewise sudden bosses with no save point right before were pretty annoying. Luckily there was just one or two cases of those. Music is pretty great all around as are the pixel graphics. Wide variety of environments all of which are very distinctive.

I encountered one bug that apparently is known and Nicalis just never fixed it. Causes a crash at the end of this certain challenge course mode. Well that was the last time I tried that mode. Interested to see how Kero Blaster is. Hoping it comes to Steam soon.

Great impressions. I really have a huge love for this game, and those final bosses, while very challenging and can be annoying due to the lack of checkpoints. They really wanted you to learn the patterns of these bosses as well as taking the mechanics in the game and using them all to both protect yourself and damage the boss. For me the hardest portion was the first fight against Misery since you still need to be conserving alot of your health at that point. The portion right after that if you unlocked the path to the true ending is the true hardest part of the game and I still haven't gotten past Phase 3 of the true final boss. The path to him alone is rife with death.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sugar Cube -- MB-25E99DD2436ADBC4 - Taken by interion

Sendou

Great impressions. I really have a huge love for this game, and those final bosses, while very challenging and can be annoying due to the lack of checkpoints. They really wanted you to learn the patterns of these bosses as well as taking the mechanics in the game and using them all to both protect yourself and damage the boss. For me the hardest portion was the first fight against Misery since you still need to be conserving alot of your health at that point. The portion right after that if you unlocked the path to the true ending is the true hardest part of the game and I still haven't gotten past Phase 3 of the true final boss. The path to him alone is rife with death.

I think having a relatively challenging final boss makes sense in a game like this. That said I wish the game would have had a steadier difficulty curve. How it is there's a handful parts where the difficulty spikes and the rest of the game is rather easy. Played it in the "original" difficulty by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom