• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hanzou, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-D34C2EF5B74B661E - Taken by Jadax. 5 entrants total.

t1406266670z1.png

Here is a copy of ONE WAY HEROICS. This is my first time giving away a game through a Steam gift link so if It doesn't work just PM me. Good Luck!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished up the first two levels in Jedi Outcast. There's some minor issues running on modern systems (white loading screen which is annoying, had to get some widescreen patches and such), but overall it runs amazing (90fps locked all day).

Playing through those two levels made me really miss old style shooters. I love the intricate, complex level design, the fast movement speed and combat, keycards, secret areas, health packs, and lite puzzles. It's such a good game that exemplifies that era of fps game design, and I miss that era so much...

If you haven't already played the Jedi Knight series, I highly recommend you buy them on Steam.
I can't disagree. These are genuinely good games, not "good enough for a licensed title" stuff. There's a big evolution between Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, and another big one between the latter and Jedi Outcast. What little I tried of Mysteries of the Sith felt very similar to JK1 (which is understandable since it's an expansion), and Jedi Academy felt too similar to JK2 (this one should be less acceptable, but since I love that kind of gameplay I didn't mind at all, and it's still a great game).

Okay, folks, I just finished Spec Ops: the Line. Thanks again to my benefactor who gifted it! Here are some impressions for those of you who didn't get it in the bundle:

The graphics: Appropriately gritty. Lots of sandy yellow, with the occasional sandstormy reddish-orange. Some reprieve in the interiors even though it was just as dreary and depressing. The characters look good, even though the protagonist is once again a 30-something white male with short brown hair.

The gameplay: Allow me to preface this by saying I'm not a "shooter guy." I have played some, sure and I don't actively dislike the genre, but it's not generally what I reach for. The game is a third-person cover shooter. I found myself dying a lot even on normal, and I expected to do so just because I'm bad at shooters. What really pissed me off is that if you die five times on a level it brings up a screen asking if you want to change the difficulty. And no, you can't remove that in the options. I suck, I get it, now let me suck and move on, thanks very much! Control-wise, I think some of the context sensitivity overlaps too much. You use the spacebar to sprint, to get into cover, and to heal your teammate. More than once I died because I wanted to get into cover and my character was too close to a downed teammate. And oh look, what downed him is still alive! Bang.
One thing I did like about the gameplay is you can mark enemies and have your teammates kill them for you. You there! I don't have time for this shit. Be a good chap and snipe his head for me, that's a boy.

The music and cutscenes: Some cutscenes did not play music or sound. Lots of other people apparently had this problem, and they were given suggestions things like "unplug your mic and plug it back in" or "just restart the game" but these didn't work for me. Luckily I put subtitles on so I could get the gist. Apart from that, it's got some GREAT music courtesy of a character named Radioman, an ex-journalist who periodically broadcasts and basically sets some of your battles to different types of music to create mood. It's done really well.

The story: This is where the game really shines. Part of the ending was spoiled to me -
You're actually the bad guy and killed people needlessly
but even the actual ending surprised me. There is a good amount of fourth-wall breaking, and even a reference to Picasso's Guernica. I'm not sure if I accept the delivery too much -
Everybody started shooting at you first. How is one supposed to "just stop" without being murdered in cold blood?
but I can appreciate the idea of a shooter that makes you ponder the consequences of your actions.

The verdict: While not subtle - what video game is? - this is a shooter that plays on conventional video game tropes and emerges as, well, not so much a "fun" game as an "intriguing" one, and one that makes you think, and that makes your heart heavy. It's the Papers, Please of shooters. Play it! ...But don't play it when you're already feeling down.

iosefe

I can't disagree. These are genuinely good games, not "good enough for a licensed title" stuff. There's a big evolution between Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, and another big one between the latter and Jedi Outcast. What little I tried of Mysteries of the Sith felt very similar to JK1 (which is understandable since it's an expansion), and Jedi Academy felt too similar to JK2 (this one should be less acceptable, but since I love that kind of gameplay I didn't mind at all, and it's still a great game).

the Jedi Knight games were my childhood. i remember having the first one, all the fun of Level 4 because i had the demo first, and i always looked forward to that level. i still remember when we got Mysteries of the sith for christmas. installed it almost immediately. so good. i had actually not played Outcast, and it wasn't until many year later that i played JKA because i joined a clan. i still need to take care of Outcast

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm not really enjoying Strider. It just feels so lifeless.

I think the game is not a bad game but it lacks personality. Also the backgrounds are mostly dull and the writing came out from the 90s. I like it but I say wait for sale prices instead of paying the full price of the game.
iWPT2n1OysfH4.gif

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of MMBosstones86, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-F95BE009FE89C590 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Enforcer -- MB-B6EDCF95C314DC2A - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-B8BA70B8D0D08BB8 - Taken by City 17. 5 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-20D8A080440506F0 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-1DF47B9C3F2C3A86 - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Apocalypse -- MB-0E2C794203E8D270 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 2 entrants total.
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-2EECF58AEF5C3C1E - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-75C04535185E579D - Taken by Lomax. 2 entrants total.
The Bureau -- MB-9D279A73D22C7A55 - Taken by -MD-. 4 entrants total.
Bioshock -- MB-EBA3EBD4B487AB3F - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-20B76F0C5AD16590 - Taken by jshackles. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Interceptor -- MB-8DEAFF93A4777223 - Taken by sprinkles. 1 entrants total.
Finding Teddy -- MB-5B54A51DE250A2C8 - Taken by Newblade
Bioshock 2 -- MB-EAD24B8446A5CCDE - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Terrors From the Deep -- MB-2526C59D0970041F - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-2C538DAC2CBBFAEA - Taken by weemadarthur. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : UFO Defense : -- MB-6D54E6461BAAF9EC - Taken by Servizio

t1406260426z1.png

Backlogger

Extras
ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

FLY'N -- MB-E1F1E5AA7AACEC3C - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Savant: Ascent -- MB-06FE67302535E886 - Taken by Duriii
Thief Gold -- MB-883EEA5F012BAB10 - Taken by kevin1025
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-6FDDDDEB8B7249A7 - Taken by DontBlink
Bioshock -- MB-0D6ADC4337BB95F1 - Taken by Pop
ulgzbKC.png
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe (Desura) -- MB-BDF23F69086A8DF3 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Montas -- MB-FCD427AF50AAD337 - Taken by alr1ght

dmix90

Thank you anonymous for Saira. Looks neat.

---------------------

Anyone else having trouble with with links not working in the Steam client? I try to click on things and nothing happens.
Are you using latest steam client beta and Metro skin? Try to update skin to a never version.

Ventara

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble gifting a game to my email. I did it once and redeemed it as a test run to see if it works, but now I can't do it. I don't get an email and the gift doesn't have the Sent to under it in my Inventory. What gives?

Are you using latest steam client beta and Metro skin? Try to update skin to a never version.

I am using the beta client, but I'm not using any skin. It turns out the links do work, but I have to wait an entire minute or two before they load after clicking. It's strange because it doesn't show that the page is loading or anything while it's happening.

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble gifting a game to my email. I did it once and redeemed it as a test run to see if it works, but now I can't do it. I don't get an email and the gift doesn't have the Sent to under it in my Inventory. What gives?

You can only do it once every 24 hours I think. If your email is a gmail account you can just add a random period into your account name to get around it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

try a different email, or add a period somewhere in your gmail address.

Ventara

I am using the beta client, but I'm not using any skin. It turns out the links do work, but I have to wait an entire minute or two before they load after clicking. It's strange because it doesn't show that the page is loading or anything while it's happening.

You can only do it once every 24 hours I think. If your email is a gmail account you can just add a random period into your account name to get around it.

try a different email, or add a period somewhere in your gmail address.

Wouldn't that just potentially send it to a different email?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Got my new computer today and I gotta make the leap to windows 8.1 from windows 7. How's w8? I have it on my laptop but I don't use it too much.

I think the game is not a bad game but it lacks personality. Also the backgrounds are mostly dull and the writing came out from the 90s. I like it but I say wait for sale prices instead of paying the full price of the game.
iWPT2n1OysfH4.gif

I liked the game, and I'd still agree with this...feels more like a $10 game then the $15 it released at. At this point, you've waited long enough that I'd probably wait for it to at least be 7.50 if not lower.

Jawmuncher

Got my new computer today and I gotta make the leap to windows 8.1 from windows 7. How's w8? I have it on my laptop but I don't use it too much.

Was against it at first but honestly isn't bad at all. Especially since if you dislike metro it's pretty easy to ignore now.

Turfster

Apart from the start menu stupidity, it's pretty good, I find.
Workable, anyway, and it's faster than 7, so that's something.

Ventara

It's good, I guess. No problems here. I don't have a touchscreen, tough. You can have it boot straight to desktop, so you don't have to deal with the metro.

No, for gmail addresses it ignores any periods in the account name. So steamgaf@gmail.com is the same as steam.gaf@gmail.com and mail sent to either will go to the same place.

You can add a period anywhere in gmail adresses. Test it out by sending something to yourself.

Oh, I see. I've always used a period in my email and thought it was important. You learn something new everyday. Thanks guys!

As someone who didn't use the start menu in Vista/7 for anything aside from getting to my personal folders, the control panel, or searching, there's nothing about 8 that is worse :p since all of that is about the same to get to...

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Spring-Loaded, who is running this raffle.

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This gift has already been redeemed.

We'll never know what it was now.

Once you get used to it, it's not bad. The start menu thing is irritating, but other than that I don't have any problem with it.

jblank83

Once you enable boot to desktop and disable the silly sidebars and charms and whatnot, it's fine. It even has some nice improvements to Windows 7, such as welcome new features in file explorer.

Darkwood's art style looks a lot better in motion than it comes off in screenshots, everything has a rather disturbing pulsating animation and many of the objectives are drawn with harsh edges. Seems interesting so far.

Seagoon

Apologies if a couple of these keys have been redeemed already, it's hard keeping track these days.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Seagoon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galcon Fusion -- MB-6C7B499B37609189
Dino D-Day -- MB-FF01C626D2DE4556
Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete -- MB-2BB1F3444704B7E5
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-677AAE7A135B33AD
Anomaly 2 -- MB-C5970074093F65AC
Fieldrunners -- MB-35B20A88F375E620
Pid -- MB-1E1E05726D0DFA39
Thief Gold -- MB-DAFD9F3DE05E7CF5
Stacking -- MB-5ACDF29168F516E1 - Taken by JDHarbs. 2 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol -- MB-349874053EA10C6C - Taken by Vastag. 1 entrants total.
GTR Evolution -- MB-11B7D192988B79C3 - Taken by Garou. 1 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-20381DCC47CA5050
Ittle Dew -- MB-D96FF482131D605C
Daikatana -- MB-27DB84AE27B67D6E - Taken by Ifrit. 1 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-69F4B20622298A2F
Really Big Sky -- MB-2A55C08E1471438C
Gun Monkeys -- MB-8BC3319C82C138CB
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin -- MB-810B079334B67E5C - Taken by DSN2K. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Sid Meier's Ace Patrol was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1406258929z1.png

Turfster

As someone who didn't use the start menu in Vista/7 for anything aside from getting to my personal folders, the control panel, or searching, there's nothing about 8 that is worse :p since all of that is about the same to get to...

It's still kinda rage-inducing that even after the "look guys we made it better and more like old windows", the "start typing" menu still takes over the entire screen, but like I said, it's workable.

Edit: Huh. Win+R is now a simple popup dialog?
Is this new? I'm pretty sure this is new.
Guess the heat and the 5am are getting to me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Darkwood's art style looks a lot better in motion than it comes off in screenshots, everything has a rather disturbing pulsating animation and many of the objectives are drawn with harsh edges. Seems interesting so far.

told ya ;) (on the previous page)

It's still kinda rage-inducing that even after the "look guys we made it better and more like old windows", the "start typing" menu still takes over the entire screen, but like I said, it's workable.

Win+R opens run which is not full screen.

Edit: You edited. And hitting Win+S(or Win+F) doesn't take up the full screen, just a small piece on the right side.

told ya ;) (on the previous page)
Alt-tabbing locked up my entire computer until I closed the game which was a bummer. And weird, not many games do that.

Edit: Huh. Win+R is now a simple popup dialog?
Is this new? I'm pretty sure this is new.
Win+R has been like that for ages. And don't do start>search, do Win+S or Win+W, depending, it only takes up a 1/4 of the screen on the side.

Beelzebubs

Okay I think I'm out of practice, struggling to throw a Ryu Hadoken using 360 controllers D Pad. Gonna have to start using analogue sticks.

Okay I think I'm out of practice, struggling to throw a Ryu Hadoken using 360 controllers D Pad. Gonna have to start using analogue sticks.
The 360 analog is probably the only thing I would ever use as a replacement for a dpad. It has just enough resistance that it doesn't feel any worse for using it. (I actually kinda like it)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Alt-tabbing locked up my entire computer until I closed the game which was a bummer. And weird, not many games do that.

well that's strange ... it didn't do anything like that when I was playing ... but then again - I was running it in windowed mode, so ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom