• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Alright guys, here's the giveaway I said I'd do. It may not be a big game, but it's one of the best games I've played. Fantastic boss battles with heart-pumping music to play along with make this an amazing game to experience. Here's the [OT]. And sorry about the 3-hour timer. I felt 15 minutes was too short. Someone might miss it. I wish there was a 1-hour timer.

If there are any problems redeeming it, send me a PM and I'll gift it to you directly through Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ventara, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-2500CF3EC8F478BA - Taken by diablogod. 19 entrants total.

t1406269068z1.png

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Cool, thanks for the impressions! I'm not quite as worried then, didn't know what to expect.

don't worry :) it really is pretty good :) despite what people are saying (not in here ... just in general) it really isn't the Antichrist ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
don't worry :) it really is pretty good :) despite what people are saying (not in here ... just in general) it really isn't the Antichrist ;)

what game are people shitting on now?

wilflare

are the Lost Planet games better played on PC?
looking at my PS3 retail games and thinking what to sell off (need to get some money back and etc)

Anustart

What exactly is the point of GFWL? All this time and I still dont know what benefits there were to implementing it. What wad the goal?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Terrorhedron is out now, so wheres my key indieroyale?

fuckers

4 hour reminder! I need to get that avatar ready.

The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!

Everyone is free to enter. If you already own the game you win, feel free to give it away here. +1 to your modbot lootstash. You should all enter for the grand prize.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (phoenix296, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-B0F744CEFE11B547 - Taken by Indignate. 33 entrants total.
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A8790DD02D76D40B - Taken by SSPssp. 46 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EEC3610A6EEF9907 - Taken by adaen. 26 entrants total.
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-8A9147987C89DEDB - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 38 entrants total.
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-397AB214A7C23A97 - Taken by DJSebolski. 66 entrants total.
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-9852D0C5A2A7CCC5 - Taken by Stuggernaut. 28 entrants total.

t1406272235z1.png

Turfster

What exactly is the point of GFWL? All this time and I still dont know what benefits there were to implementing it. What wad the goal?

The goal was to make PC players pay Microsoft a monthly fee for multiplayer.
This, as everyone but Microsoft apparently could see coming, did not go over well.

Jawmuncher

yea and my only copy of LP is LP2 PS3... sigh the curse of GFWL...

so it's a good port on the PC?

Yep they're all good ports aside from the GFWL.

Also you want vanilla LP on steam. Colonies Edition is GFWL as well. But since the MP is dead/everyone still playing plays 2. Its easy to ignore.

Jawmuncher

This, as everyone but Microsoft apparently could see coming, did not go over well.

The cross play was supposed to be the big deal into getting PC players to pay. Obviously that didn't work out and didn't last very long.

Jawmuncher

I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea and hoped PC players were going to pay for it.

I personally thought the idea was decent back in the day when it was revealed. But they gave up on it so quick it was pathetic. Had they kept with the idea of cross play and had stuff like Halo 3 come out with a PC version the same day I think it would have been interesting.
But someone on the console side realized they couldn't cut into 360 sales or whatever reason they came up with.

StAidan

Pretty excited for tomorrow, my Steam home streaming box arrives. I've been using an old 2006 Dell laptop with 100mbps LAN, and while serviceable, I'm not getting all the performance I could be (and it's cumbersome to set up near the TV).

I went with an Intel NUC, the latest i3 model (see it here). I'll add 4GB memory and a 64GB SSD. Pretty basic, but the streaming is all I care about. Also looking forward to trying out SteamOS, as I was just running Windows 8 on the laptop.

On a side note, I finished my Tomb Raider (2013) run tonight. Really enjoyed it, maybe I'll do a little write-up later.

I personally thought the idea was decent back in the day when it was revealed. But they gave up on it so quick it was pathetic. Had they kept with the idea of cross play and had stuff like Halo 3 come out with a PC version the same day I think it would have been interesting.
But someone on the console side realized they couldn't cut into 360 sales or whatever reason they came up with.
I thought it was a good idea up until I heard you were gonna have to pay, and I still liked it afterwards when they took that out. It was the total lack of support that turned me off of it.

GFWL could have been a perfectly decent service(steam was hardly in the state it is in now) but they abandoned it almost immediately and stopped updating it concurrently with the 360's constant upgrades. Party chat never came to GFWL and I'm pretty sure it still cost money when that become a thing on the 360.

Khronico

are the Lost Planet games better played on PC?
looking at my PS3 retail games and thinking what to sell off (need to get some money back and etc)

Don't play LP3 on PS3. Besides the pop in, bad lod and grungy resolution, the design of the map is such that you will have to load into new areas frequently, which means you will spend most of your time in loading screens. A decent pc will fix all of these problems and make it much more playable.

They were probably banking on Gears of War to make it succeed along with Halo 2. Funnily enough, according to Wikipedia, the first GFWL-enabled game was that awful Shadowrun fps. The only good thing to come out of GFWL was GFW Radio though.

Vibranium

Banned

Man, Microsoft really messed up there, they have only themselves to blame. I vaguely remember hearing about their plans during the heyday of Halo 2, despite not really playing PC a ton and being really young. I think a friend told me about that and even then I was surprised how dumb it was to try to charge on the PC.

Jawmuncher

They were probably banking on Gears of War to make it succeed along with Halo 2. Funnily enough, according to Wikipedia, the first GFWL-enabled game was that awful Shadowrun fps. The only good thing to come out of GFWL was GFW Radio though.

Oh no you didn't.
Shadow run was awesome and a great way to showcase the cross play. Granted it was a departure from
The series roots but for what it was it was great. Still has more style than a lot of FPS's especially today.

Oh no you didn't.
Shadow run was awesome and a great way to showcase the cross play. Granted it was a departure from
The series roots but for what it was it was great. Still has more style than a lot of FPS's especially today.

I thought Shadowrun fans hate that game? I could be wrong though. I'm not one myself, I just remember not really enjoying that game.

wilflare

Don't play LP3 on PS3. Besides the pop in, bad lod and grungy resolution, the design of the map is such that you will have to load into new areas frequently, which means you will spend most of your time in loading screens. A decent pc will fix all of these problems and make it much more playable.

don't have LP3 on PS3 :X haha

---
alright guess I'll just sell my LP2 copy away and get the Steam versions when... (if they ever) go on sale then

tmarg

To be fair to MS, it was dumb to charge for multiplayer on consoles, but it worked. Given the amount of money they've made, it was inevitable that someone would try on PC.

Jawmuncher

I thought Shadowrun fans hate that game? I could be wrong though. I'm not one myself, I just remember not really enjoying that game.

Yes most Shadowrun fans dislike. Mainly because it was nothing like the original games. But those who could get past that were able to get into a MP game that was a lot of fun with a great community. Last time I played years after release. There was still a decent amount of players all things considered. Part of that I know was thanks to the cross play.

don't have LP3 on PS3 :X haha

---
alright guess I'll just sell my LP2 copy away and get the Steam versions when... (if they ever) go on sale then

I don't think the app has been updated yet. But considering they're doing RE5 might just be a slow process before they get to it.

Vibranium

Banned
To be fair to MS, it was dumb to charge for multiplayer on consoles, but it worked. Given the amount of money they've made, it was inevitable that someone would try on PC.

I guess that's true, but they should have done minor testing first before throwing it out there.

Honestly, I accept it on consoles now, if I can get $25-30 one year PS+ cards on sale it's all good. And there's always Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom