• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

Hey everyone, I have never played any of the Mass Effect games. I have the first two games and want to know if there are any must use mods that will enhance and not ruin my first play through of ME and anything I should keep in mind?

Also I booted it up tonight and noticed that the max resolution is really low, I am sure that is easy to fix.

EDIT: If anyone has any tips for ME2 as well that would be great.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Hanzou, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hanzou, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-D34C2EF5B74B661E - Taken by Jadax. 5 entrants total.

t1406266670z1.png

Turfster

Hey everyone, I have never played any of the Mass Effect games. I have the first two games and want to know if there are any must use mods that will enhance and not ruin my first play through of ME.

Also I booted it up tonight and noticed that the max resolution is really low, I am sure that is easy to fix.

Mass Effect wasn't really modded all that extensively, iirc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ultra is in a few weeks!

yeah ill play that day 1 for sure. in fact, if its not downloaded ill download SSF4 when I get home, see if I even remember the ultras and shit. I think I do... double quarter circle forward with punches for Makoto's ultra 1 right?

Punch you in the nuts nabs

makoto-s-ultra-o.gif

Seichusen Godanzuki!

Toshin

ooohhh the usf4 talk has begun?? glad its on top of my wishlist!! : )
Elena going to heal all your pains : )... well not vs me perhaps....but I'll def play vs people

Shadownet

Banned
Did modbot mistakenly send a winning PM to more than one person?

No Modbot did my dummy giveaway when I was testing the Batman stuff. Only 2 people entered the 1st one before Stump swiftly shut it down. He was one of the two people. I feel like I should get him something, as a consolation prize.

By the way, probably no one will care about this. (it's about my private life) So i'll put a spoiler tag around it. so people won't get mad at me. I just thought I share with you guys.. since well y'all family.

Me and the other girl are talking a lot now. I have a date to go on Sunday. Im excited, hopefully I can walk well enough with my crutch.

Also I got a my first review which I'll post in a bit. I never written one before so my apology if its terrible and full of grammatical errors.

Hey everyone, I have never played any of the Mass Effect games. I have the first two games and want to know if there are any must use mods that will enhance and not ruin my first play through of ME and anything I should keep in mind?
There are high-res texture packs for all Mass Effect games, if I recall correctly. That's all I can remember.

maty

Indie Royale spares and other unclaimed games

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bornlivedie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

FLY'N -- MB-983153CE8143D023 - Taken by sotodefonk
t1cxE6r.gif
Aerena -- MB-2786077F50DAEF5C
Jack Lumber -- MB-E3446A8D5A56F6D5 - Taken by bluechox2
To the Moon -- MB-A3211D7021276505 - Taken by MTE
Pid -- MB-0A4CDCEDAD942C81 - Taken by Kanhir
Savant: Ascent -- MB-E40CAF21F8767038 - Taken by Catshade
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-D38A22EB6A2E22B0 - Taken by danhese007
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-C8E238B0CE09A715 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Ballpoint Universe - Infinite -- MB-F1EF6F4112B92F37 - Taken by fernandes

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for To the Moon was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Pid was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Thomas Was Alone was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ballpoint Universe - Infinite was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

EDIT: If anyone has any tips for ME2 as well that would be great.

Here's a decent mod for the first Mass Effect game:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?

So... I love Ace Combat, but was undecided after playing a demo for AC:AH. Five bucks is pretty tempting. I have seen some comments on here about how the chopper levels aren't very good. Are they "not good" enough to make this worth skipping? I need a SteamGAF opinion!

Deitus

So... I love Ace Combat, but was undecided after playing a demo for AC:AH. Five bucks is pretty tempting. I have seen some comments on here about how the chopper levels aren't very good. Are they "not good" enough to make this worth skipping? I need a SteamGAF opinion!

The game is free for the weekend. Play it yourself. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

wait, I thought the chopper levels were the best part?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

You can reach the first helicopter mission pretty quickly. I didn't mind it so far. I'm going to try to finish it this weekend.

Deitus

Fine, I guess I'll form my own opinion. GEEZ!

I was only kidding. I wasn't sure if you knew it was a free weekend so I decided to be a smartass about it.

Actually I would be interested in hearing some impressions as well. Since my ISP recently added a data cap to my existing plan without notifying me, I can no longer just download every game on a whim.

Vibranium

Banned
I also really need to look this up now.

Haha, I swear on my life it was 100% real but since it was removed after 1 day, it might be pretty hard to find. I remember laughing my ass off and saying on the page that I would legitimately pay money for a game like that.
Still would.

I was only kidding. I wasn't sure if you knew it was a free weekend so I decided to be a smartass about it.

Actually I would be interested in hearing some impressions as well. Since my ISP recently added a data cap to my existing plan without notifying me, I can no longer just download every game on a whim.

Haha, you're fine. I appreciated the comment as it was kind of a "Duh, just download it and try it, idiot," moment in my head. Figure either three things happen. I play a bit and don't like it, done. Play a bit and like it, think it's worth $5, done. Play a lot and finish the game before the weekend is over, done. I don't think the third option will happen just because of my personal time restraints this weekend.

Shadownet

Banned

*I finished this game like a month ago, but I haven’t had a chance until now, forgive me if my review is full of grammatical errors. This is my first ever.*

The story of Valiant Hearts begins in 1914. Archduke Franz Ferdinand has been assassinated and Germany declares war on Russia in response. In anticipation of a war, France begins to deport all German citizens. Karl a young German farmer is forced to be separated from his family, consist of his wife Marie, their son Victor and his father-in-law Emile. Karl is forcefully drafted into the German army while at the same time Emile is drafted into the French army.The story follows their journey of Emile and Karl as they try to survive a war neither of them want nothing to do with. Along the way they meet many wonderful characters, faced countless hardships and joyful moments.

The gameplay is a side scrolling game. You’re controlling either Emile or Karl most of the time, sometimes other characters. Most of the time you’ll be solving puzzles and picking up items to advance on to the next area, while following the story. Gameplay-wise it isn’t incredibly difficult at all, if you’re good at figuring out how to use your environment to solve the puzzles you should be just fine. Certain part of the game required you to sneak through behind enemy lines. So patience is more needed here than skills, other times you are required to dodge artillery shells which can be a bit frustrating until you learn the patterns. There are parts of the game where the game turned into short of a dodging game where many vehicles are chasing after you and you must avoid bullets, grenades and incoming traffic. Last but not least, there are quick time events. You will encounter them at scenes when you have to heal someone. They get progressively harder as you go through the game, the last QTE is quite difficult, at least for me.

The game does a wonderful job with the narration between loading screen, even though most of the characters does not speak at all, they only provide you with speech bubbles to portray the feelings and thoughts of each characters. The narrator does most of the heavy lifting. In the game you will be able to find many collectibles, that when you open up the menu, you can examine them and read about the history and interesting fact regarding the Great War. I highly recommend reading them, as it will enhance the experience. The music was very fitting with the game, since characters do not talk, the music help give you the sense of danger and sadness that you normally need words to describe.

I have not encounter any game breaking bugs when I played it, the only bugs I encountered was one time my character was stuck in a ditch and I could not dig my way out of it, so I had to restart the chapter, the other time was when I was healing another character and an extra arm appeared out of nowhere on my character. But it was gone the moment the healing QTE was finished.

This game being one of the first games I played after the Summer Sale, I highly recommend this if you enjoy a grand, epic and emotional story. The only major problem I have with this game is that sometimes, certain part of the game might dragged on for a while, but others might be over very quickly, a bit inconsistency in pacing. There are many great characters that you will like, the way they accurately portray the hardships of warfare at the time is also a welcoming addition. It took me 10 hours to finish the game, but if you want to get all the collectibles. It might take you a bit longer. This game is definitely one of my Game of the Year contender, or at least for great storytelling. I hope if you already played it, that you enjoyed it. If you haven’t, what are you waiting for? =]

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Thief Gold -- MB-35A8929B4BB52182 - Taken by sapsari
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-BF8111778CF1DFAD - Taken by Jmanunknown

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Thief Gold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hitman: Codename 47 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I swear on my life it was 100% real but since it was removed after 1 day, it might be pretty hard to find. I remember laughing my ass off and saying on the page that I would legitimately pay money for a game like that.
Still would.

I couldn't really find anything about it, but it does sound pretty great.
I'd buy something like that, Valve should just make a game focused on Gaben. It'd sell more than HL 1 and 2 combined.

so apparently gods will be watching isn't so good?

that's a shame

It's okay, but the luck based elements really drag it down to the point where I sort of want to give up on it entirely. The art and music direction are both great, and both really add to the thrill you're supposed to feel when you play it, but there's no checkpoints during the individual chapters. That means if luck screws you over, you go back to the beginning of a chapter, after all of the tedious work you've done.

Without revealing too much, there's a section in the second chapter two that gives you a 1/7 chance of dying and having to completely start over based entirely on luck. And that occurs after 10-15 minutes of playing that chapter.

Enjoy your "bad rats"

ib0GPJtQVuxmcC.gif

I will, and that gif deserves to be quoted :D

With the amount of hot garbage that somehow gets approved to be on Steam, I am all for Greenlight being Old Yeller'd

Greenlight never really bothered me, until a friend of mine who has basically poured his life into this one game, has been trying to get it through Greenlight since December, yet can't get it through. Its certainly not the most impressive thing, but having played it, its far and away better then half of the shit that gets through Greenlight.

Ok enough is enough, dark souls 2 your time is now, this is game over!
Time to finally get back in there and finish that death lady off

jblank83

What's the general consensus around here concerning The Banner Saga?

Decent but flawed and poorly balanced at times. Hand drawn art is beautiful but often lacks animations. Music is nice but also low key and mostly ambient. A significant portion of the game's resource management is deceptively meaningless. Characters can leave permanently through no fault of your own and because you do not know who will leave, significant amounts of very limited exp/money can be wasted on them. Last boss fight was very poorly balanced on release and extremely frustrating. No idea if it has been patched since then.

Buy on sale.

Rhaknar

does anyone know if the change to steamworks did anything to disable SSF4 costume mods? I cant play Makoto without my awesome anime hair :(

edit: holt shit at the costumes that people have made since I stopped playing just from googling o_O I remember spending hours and hours just downloading and trying costumes back when I was hardcore into SF4...I think I know what Ill be doing all day. Fuck playing SSF4, playing dress up is much more fun :p

what was the big costume site again so I dont have to go look in shoryuken (i guess these days that site might not even exist anymore)?

maty

Reposting, several games still unclaimed

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bornlivedie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

FLY'N -- MB-983153CE8143D023 - Taken by sotodefonk
t1cxE6r.gif
Aerena -- MB-2786077F50DAEF5C
Jack Lumber -- MB-E3446A8D5A56F6D5 - Taken by bluechox2
To the Moon -- MB-A3211D7021276505 - Taken by MTE
Pid -- MB-0A4CDCEDAD942C81 - Taken by Kanhir
Savant: Ascent -- MB-E40CAF21F8767038 - Taken by Catshade
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-D38A22EB6A2E22B0 - Taken by danhese007
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-C8E238B0CE09A715 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Ballpoint Universe - Infinite -- MB-F1EF6F4112B92F37 - Taken by fernandes

zkylon

zkylewd
It's okay, but the luck based elements really drag it down to the point where I sort of want to give up on it entirely. The art and music direction are both great, and both really add to the thrill you're supposed to feel when you play it, but there's no checkpoints during the individual chapters. That means if luck screws you over, you go back to the beginning of a chapter, after all of the tedious work you've done.

Without revealing too much, there's a section in the second chapter two that gives you a 1/7 chance of dying and having to completely start over based entirely on luck. And that occurs after 10-15 minutes of playing that chapter.
oh well that sounds like shit that could be patched if devs aren't too stubborn. i don't really mind luck based stuff as long as it doesn't drag you to mindless repetition just to get a decent "drop"

as always, there's little hurry for me

i'm a patient being

Anustart

Another quick question about offline steam. I know square is anal about stuff, will ff7 run in offline mode, or does that launcher of there's require I'm online?

Ventara

Just a reminder.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ventara, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-2500CF3EC8F478BA - Taken by diablogod. 19 entrants total.

t1406269068z1.png

*I finished this game like a month ago, but I haven’t had a chance until now, forgive me if my review is full of grammatical errors. This is my first ever.*

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write your impressions, sounds like something I will like, will definitely buy it when it goes on sale again.

wilflare

you should get a Groupees link - so you can add it to your Groupees profile
from there, you can click a button to add the game to your Steam account automatically
(hope more bundles do this (and still give the option to copy paste the code)

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wilflare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-57683292B1A8662B - Taken by Emperor_EL. 7 entrants total.

t1406267810z1.png

Mokoi

Banned
After playing the first mission of Ace combat Assualt Horizon I just don't know how I feel. I'm probably just going to put in my copy of 6 and go save gracemeria again. Yeah that seems like the right choice.

Edit: got the numbers mixed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom