• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Custom costumes?
You mean like... mods for existing characters?
Sort of like the L4D2 stuff but not as simple cause it's not in the Steam Workshop?

I've given you random keys to redeem before...
But I don't think you're talking about me.

nah wasnt you. And you never used custom skins on SSF4? dude people make some crazy shit. Not just skins either, they make new hair styles and shit quality sutff. I go deep tho, different skin for each color on each costume for each character.

I spend more time setting up my costumes than actually playing when I was into it. Getting excited to get back to it actually lol

Lewd! Also that is Nozomi Toujou a character the Love Live! School Idol Project franchise.
---
Still need to finish Teslagrad, and been really enjoying it so far. If you own it please consider actually playing it. Don't let it sit in your backlog too long.

I love the word lewd

Speevy

Banned
Gods Will Be Watching is easily the most disappointing game I've played in years.

Disappointing games are usually those that have some expectation of greatness that have something to do with the developer, series, or gameplay design.

Did they really hype this up that much?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Disappointing games are usually those that have some expectation of greatness that have something to do with the developer, series, or gameplay design.

the internet did, not the devs. its like abyss odyssey really, with the same initial backlash. Although in this case I dont think it will turn around :p

edit: wrong thread

back to the giantbomb thread with you!

The thread today has been less messy and Ive seen people quoting impressions so not everything is lost.

just because people dont comment on it doesnt mean they didnt read it

Gods Will Be Watching is easily the most disappointing game I've played in years.

Hmmm, somehow I think it will fail to disappointment more than Strider has. And the only other game I remember being super disappointed with at that level was FFX.

nah wasnt you. And you never used custom skins on SSF4? dude people make some crazy shit. Not just skins either, they make new hair styles and shit quality sutff. I go deep tho, different skin for each color on each costume for each character.

I spend more time setting up my costumes than actually playing when I was into it. Getting excited to get back to it actually lol

I love the word lewd

Lewd rhymes with rude. Coincidence? I think not.
And no, never messed with that stuff -- most of my SSF4 playtime is on consoles.
I have AE on PC, but didn't really touch it much until they yanked out GFWL... and even then, I haven't put a lot of time in because Ultra is coming.

The one thing I always wanted to do was swap Yun and Yang's movesets.

Hugstable

Banned
Lewd! Also that is Nozomi Toujou a character the Love Live! School Idol Project franchise.
---
Still need to finish Teslagrad, and been really enjoying it so far. If you own it please consider actually playing it. Don't let it sit in your backlog too long.

I already moved Teslagrad up to my favorites list, but it's gonna wait til I get my replacement Dualshock 4 now. Unless the game plays decently on keyboard, then I'm sure I can manage ha.

It was pretty hyped up before release at least around here.

Rhaknar

Hmmm, somehow I think it will fail to disappointment more than Strider has. And the only other game I remember being super disappointed with at that level was FFX.

Lewd rhymes with rude. Coincidence? I think not.
And no, never messed with that stuff -- most of my SSF4 playtime is on consoles.
I have AE on PC, but didn't really touch it much until they yanked out GFWL... and even then, I haven't put a lot of time in because Ultra is coming.

The one thing I always wanted to do was swap Yun and Yang's movesets.

join me in the dark side Frost, you will spend hours playing dress up, its magical

Im pretty sure I still have my folder with all the costumes I used back then, unless they changed some files in the switchover to steamworks, it should just be a matter of replacing the dir (I fucking hope so)

Shadownet

Banned
The thread today has been less messy and Ive seen people quoting impressions so not everything is lost.

I agree, we been much better than in the past threads. i mean heck, I finally had time to sit down and write a review. So im proud of myself. I think if we can find a balance between of topic stuff, waifu and having fun and also talk about steam games and reviews. I don't see why that isnt possible. :)

----

btw, big prop to Nito for helping me with photoshop, i'm loving my new avatar now! i learned a lot from Sensei!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
just because people dont comment on it doesnt mean they didnt read it

I know but it seems some need to see the same quote posted all over so they know people read it. I mean I read every single post when I enter the thread.

I agree, we been much better than in the past threads. i mean heck, I finally had time to sit down and write a review. So im proud of myself. I think if we can find a balance between of topic stuff, waifu and having fun and also talk about steam games and reviews. I don't see why that isnt possible. :)

----

btw, big prop to Nito for helping me with photoshop, i'm loving my new avatar now! i learned a lot from Sensei!
You are welcome. Make sure to keep practicing little grasshopper.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The great thing about not buying games to play them is that you never have buyer's remorse. ;)

The marketing, at least how I saw it, said it was a pnc adventure game with 'big decisions'. So I went in expecting something like Gemini Rue, but not such a slow burn.

Instead, its an uninteresting resource management game.

Rhaknar, for this one to be saved, the dev & Devolver would need to substantially change the product - at least the introduction and first chapter.

.Anema

Hey!
I'm looking the steam store right now, please recommend me any Mac game, I don't know what to buy and I want a little auto gift for my birthday :D
Thanks!

Tenrius

So, anyone going to gamescom? I wanted to, but had to reconsider due to various circumstances. Can't complain though, because some of those circumstances might allow me to make a heap of money, so it's all good. Still, it sounds like a lot of fun, they're going to show Pillars of Eternity there and I read the other day that you can casually spot Gabe Newell there.

AHA-Lambda

I know that feeling man :(
And as I've said before, even in this thread, I was very excited for it as I played it at an expo earlier in the year, and was my game of the show! Needless to say, it didn't come across like this.

I am also a person who tends to, even if against common sense, tries to finish all my games; call it OCD or something if you like. Nevertheless I am almost at my limit with this game.

Onionkid

the internet did, not the devs. its like abyss odyssey really, with the same initial backlash. Although in this case I dont think it will turn around :p

I was actually about to pick up Abyss Odyssey, so what was/is the problem with it? I guess you're saying that one turned out positive, though?

AHA-Lambda

I was actually about to pick up Abyss Odyssey, so what was/is the problem with it? I guess you're saying that one turned out positive, though?

Abyss Odyssey ended up being too easy in the eyes of most people, don't know how it was turned around as hinted though.

Shadownet

Banned
That bad? Really? I, uh... damn

Well if you measure the amount of hype I had for Gods Will Be Watching, it was almost as high as DA II. so yeah I was disappointed.

I always measure my disappointment based on how hyped I was.

for example: I wasn't hyped at all about Iron Man, came out pleasantly surprised it was good.

another example: Was way too hyped for Man of Steel, came out so disappointed.

oipic

Very disappointing to hear. Is this due to balance and difficulty issues (that may be able to be tweaked/fixed), or is its gameplay more fundamentally flawed than that?

Well if you measure the amount of hype I had for Gods Will Be Watching, it was almost as high as DA II. so yeah I was disappointed.

I always measure my disappointment based on how hyped I was.

for example: I wasn't hyped at all about Iron Man, came out pleasantly surprised it was good.

another example: Was way too hyped for Man of Steel, came out so disappointed.
Why were you (and everyone else) that hyped for GWBW anyway? I think I missed out on the reasoning for that.

Also, you guys being so disappointed with it might make me enjoy it more :p

Shadownet

Banned
Very disappointing to hear. Is this due to balance and difficulty issues (that may be able to be tweaked/fixed), or is its gameplay more fundamentally flawed than that?

it seems like the game is based more on luck. than skills and decision making. Most people have said that on easy, it's way too easy, and on normal, it's way too hard.

-----------

Why were you (and everyone else) that hyped for GWBW anyway? I think I missed out on the reasoning for that.

Also, you guys being so disappointed with it might make me enjoy it more :p

Because! Gods Will Be Watching! I had to be hyped for it!

:p

But no, I think I got my copy from nbnt. and at that point I have just finished The Wolf Among Us, so I was craving another game where decision making was a big thing, where every choice matters.

That what Gods Will Be Watching was advertising, so I thought I would get it. plus the art style and music was pretty good. (I played the website demo version)

JaseC

He delineated a bit here:

The marketing, at least how I saw it, said it was a pnc adventure game with 'big decisions'. So I went in expecting something like Gemini Rue, but not such a slow burn.

Instead, its an uninteresting resource management game.

Rhaknar, for this one to be saved, the dev & Devolver would need to substantially change the product - at least the introduction and first chapter.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nightmare mode got added. It's pretty damn hard.

Not really. Cheese the Fog Walls and enemies will stay standing and you can escape most encounters. Still the 2 miniboses at the same time can be hard if you are not well prepared which I guess makes it hard. Still I defeated Nightmare Mode on my first try. :p

zkylon

zkylewd

abyss odyssey is a really good game, easily the best ace team has done so far

it's a bit light on content and it's got more animation priority than i would've guessed but it's a really good game

Vuze

VR, to me, is the only hardware I am looking forward for. After trying out DK1 I cant wait till the CV finally hits.

I really thought the virtual cinema could be an amazing experience, if the resolution is right.

I so wish my DK2 was already shipped. Slowpoke who I am, I ordered on 24th of March >_< I hope I'll get it before the end of August atleast...

.Anema

Can't go wrong with Civilization V if you don't own it already.

Nice, but already on my library :D

X-COM Enemy Unknown? Huh I just found out Divinity Original Sin is also on Mac.

I'll check this!

Nice, I was looking for something like that. Thanks!

Borderlands 2

Right now I'm in love with the Destiny beta, so I will wait for it for my online cooperative dose. Thanks btw

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
A repost of my GWBW impressions thus far, since the topic's come up again:

Two hours in with Gods Will Be Watching: (will continue to update as progress occurs)

There's been some kind of misunderstanding I feel, and it lies completely with the developers. For a game sold on choice, you get very little of it. This is not a game about freedom to approach a situation how you please as one may expect. It's a resource management game about finding the golden path forged by developer logic which we chastise old adventure games for.

The first scenario is a hostage mission in which the player is forced to shoulder the weight of every role at once. You have to manage the security to hack the computers and steal the data, calm or disturb the hostages so they don't get complacent or too scared, hold off the incoming anti-terrorism unit, manage health with limited supplies and so on. There are a lot of different ways to approach each situation but there seems to be a random chance that something won't go your way.

The computer can be counter-hacked with even 75% security running, which costs you an action plus another action to correct. Each action either calms or upsets the hostages, and trying to counter-balance that ends up costing you an action. I'm fine with not being able to keep everyone alive without a bit of work but there's almost too much working against the player. That's on normal difficulty.

On easy difficulty we see how the developers don't have much understanding of balance. It's either "Get fucked in the face, Payday 2-on-Death-Wish style" on normal or "okay you baby, here comes the choo-choo train of storyspoon" on easy. It feels like they could have just met somewhere in the middle and avoided some of the frustrations on players while not practically insulting them for not wanting to deal with your sadism.

On that note, what's the point in sadistic and brutal violence if they happen so often and you're forced to repeat the scenarios so frequently that seeing a hostage's head get blown off loses pretty much all meaning? I don't feel conflicted when a life is lost, I just want to sigh and throw my hands up. Perhaps that's what the developer wanted but it makes for an utterly awful game.

It's not that I don't like difficulty either, I dug Dark Souls' jib, I rock Call of Pripyat with Misery Mod, Teleglitch was my personal number one last year. There's just a difference between difficulty and bad game design and this team doesn't seem to know the difference.

Third chapter of GWBW is perhaps the most enjoyable yet. Instead of fucking you with an RNG, the management portion makes a lot of sense. I still feel quite under the gun with different pressures mounting but what the game wants you to do is far more understandable and there's tangible elements to everything that isn't hunting for context that might take you two or three fuckups to notice.

I will probably take a break here for a bit before digging back into it.

The game does actually have a way to explain the mechanics to you, it just doesn't exactly make it known to the player. Use the "Ask about..." option over Liam and he explains the various aspects of the level to you for the first scenario. There are similar aspects in the third scenario which is almost as complicated that can also be explained by one of the characters.

My opinion of the game hasn't changed much since I've had some time away with it. I still feel like it's too intrusive for its own good and not a "good" form of challenge. But we'll see. I'm going back tomorrow.

Not really. Cheese the Fog Walls and enemies will stay standing and you can escape most encounters. Still the 2 miniboses at the same time can be hard if you are not well prepared which I guess makes it hard. Still I defeated Nightmare Mode on my first try. :p
Keep in mind I don't have everyone maxed out yet. But to be fair I haven't tried cheesing the fog walls either.

My give away is now over. Congrats to the winners! For those curious:
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-B0F744CEFE11B547 - Taken by Indignate. 33 entrants total. Bad Rats
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A8790DD02D76D40B - Taken by SSPssp. 46 entrants total. Witcher 3
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EEC3610A6EEF9907 - Taken by adaen. 26 entrants total. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-8A9147987C89DEDB - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 38 entrants total. Bioshock Infinite
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-397AB214A7C23A97 - Taken by DJSebolski. 66 entrants total. Dead Rising 3
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-9852D0C5A2A7CCC5 - Taken by Stuggernaut. 28 entrants total Divinity: Original Sin

Indignate, PM me for your avatar prize. :D

JaseC

My Steam drive is well and truly stuffed. I can (generally) read from/write to it just fine, but any attempt to load up Steam itself sends it into a ticking frenzy and eventually it becomes unresponsive. RIP you useless piece of crap.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Beat Freedom Planet.

header_292x136.jpg

Will post full impressions later, and maybe should play more as I only beat the story with one of three characters (each character goes through mostly the same stages but have completely different playstyles, and some of the levels between them differ).

It was actually really, really good. It really reminded me of a Treasure game, had the sort of design with a bunch of gameplay twists and a bunch of awesome bosses in the style of Gunstar Heroes, but then gameplay matched up like a hybrid between Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, and also feeling like its own thing.

It had big levels with multiple paths and acts that were different, awesome music, awesome controls, awesome stage design that kept things fresh, awesome bosses, and after taking a bit to get used to the voices it actually even had a pretty good story.

Though it go fairly challenging towards the end on Normal difficulty, it was a lot of fun, and I would really recommend it to anyone who wants a platformer that feels like a mix between Treasue, SEGA, and Capcom (in that order) during their haydays. Lot of detail, thought-out levels, and understanding of what what make good balanced platforming levels.

oipic

it seems like the game is based more on luck. than skills and decision making. Most people have said that on easy, it's way too easy, and on normal, it's way too hard.

Thanks, Shadow - I guess, thinking optimistically, that the balance issues could, in theory, be resolved... but the concerns aired by bones seem to indicate that the game might have been fleshed-out into a full release merely by adding a laborious resource management layer to the gameplay, which if done well, could possibly be a good thing... but perhaps not in this case. A shame.

He delineated a bit here <snip >

Cheers, Jase - I plead guilty to somehow missing that particular post (thankfully you never miss anything!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom