• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing the first mission of Ace combat Assualt Horizon I just don't know how I feel. I'm probably just going to put in my copy of 5 and go save gracemeria again. Yeah that seems like the right choice.

AC4 has always been my go to game for that itch. Not sure why I like that one so much more than the others.

zkylon

zkylewd
What's the general consensus around here concerning The Banner Saga?
it's pretty decent, but it has enough grievances that it left a sour taste in my mouth

everything production related is fantastic about it, the lore and the writing is all great and the art and sound are just as good. the game's a constant stream of awe inspiring shit and that's all good

gameplay isn't too bad but that's where things start to crumble. you're constantly swapping between two parties, which makes it so that neither of em get to be deep enough to the point you get comfortable with any of them. what's worse is that unlike any game with some sort of sense to its leveling system, in banner saga the only way to get experience is by killing. so if you're a support unit that does a lot of armor damage or likes to tank or buff other guys, then you're fucked, unless you waste a bunch of turns trying to get that specific soldier to get the last hit.

also the turn system is just as confusing, as you trade turns with the enemy so basically having more alive units isn't a benefit and since health and damage are a shared stat, killing off an almost-dead monster is just basically allowing the enemy to get more turns with their strong monsters

shit like that is very annoying but overall it's an enjoyable game if you can look past it, specially since they nerfed the final boss pretty hard. they actually did that like a week after i beat it :I

Anteater

Unreal Tournament 4 sure is looking good these days

mAFcKC6.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
After playing the first mission of Ace combat Assualt Horizon I just don't know how I feel. I'm probably just going to put in my copy of 6 and go save gracemeria again. Yeah that seems like the right choice.

Edit: got the numbers mixed up!

for someone that hates "animu" you sure use a lot of anime avatars dude

also she looks drunk now, better than planning our destruction like before at least

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
oh well that sounds like shit that could be patched if devs aren't too stubborn. i don't really mind luck based stuff as long as it doesn't drag you to mindless repetition just to get a decent "drop"

as always, there's little hurry for me

i'm a patient being

It's not anything drop related, but I doubt the devs will patch it. It's definitely a game that's supposed to make you feel the tension of being subject to luck, and I can't say that it doesn't pull that off well. It's hard to explain why I don't like the luck based stuff without pulling out specific examples.

I don't recommend playing it on normal mode unless you're in a masochist mood, though. The difficulty just makes the luck based choices even worse, increasing the chances of failing the scenario and fully restarting. And it's not difficult in the Souls way or, say, Zelda II way of difficult, where you know why you messed up and you know how not to mess up the next time. That specific one in seven chance of dying is an unavoidable section of the game, and you're going to have the chance of dying during that sequence at least twice. There's nothing you can really do about it. And if you're unlucky enough, your character dies and you just restart the whole thing and hope you don't die during that part again, leading to a lot of repetition if you die repeatedly. I do go slightly more in depth here but ignore it if you don't want events in the game spoiled for you.

I do recommend playing it to see if you like it though. Chapter three feels like it could be much more enjoyable than the first two chapters were. From the portion of chapter three I played, it feels much more management based without the luck elements, so it might get better. Like I said before, the music really adds to the atmosphere of the game, graphically it looks great and the violence still comes off as effectively violent. The writing seems slightly stilted and I spotted a few errors here and there, like in the prologue there's a portion that says "They way the Constellar Federation..." where it should just say "The way," but that's just a minor thing that probably won't bother most people. I don't want to seem like I'm just overplaying the negative points, because it really does have positive points that I think are handled well, but there are definitely things I don't like about the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
^
but the reason for that 1/7 chance to die is amazing and if it was any other way, it wouldnt work

you know all those times we joke about "they should make a game so fucked up, it erases your save when you die!" or something? This sounds exactly like that lol

I guess we didnt really want that in the end did we :p

Tellaerin

Unreal Tournament 4 sure is looking good these days

That's gorgeous. Loving the sort of early-80's sf vibe I'm getting from the design. Really makes me wish Mass Effect would move back toward that aesthetic again - I can easily envision a new ME rocking that look, and I think it'd be glorious.

Has any character art been posted yet? Wondering if any familiar faces will be making a comeback.

also she looks drunk now, better than planning our destruction like before at least

Yeah, NingenJanai's new avatar is doing the plotting now. >.>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another quick question about offline steam. I know square is anal about stuff, will ff7 run in offline mode, or does that launcher of there's require I'm online?

You need to be online for the initial activation but beyond that you can just run it offline.

Rhaknar

You need to be online for the initial activation but beyond that you can just run it offline.

I sware to god I was about to post this:

"has koalaman fucked off to the states already, I havent seem him around lately"

get out of my brain JaseC >_<

Benedict

Good morning. A quick giveway for "all" of you

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chaos Engine -- MB-E0A6DCCE42FB5031 - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 1 entrants total.

t1406269128z1.png

Anteater

Has any character art been posted yet? Wondering if any familiar faces will be making a comeback.

I don't remember anything officially, just concept art and 3d models from the community

Imagine that in VR!

I really liked this appartment demo. I mean I know only one room was rendered, but it looked really impressive, except the skybox when looking outside. It really felt like a room.

man I want to try VR :(

JaseC

Ouch, maybe YOU NEED A BUDGET (?). I wish I could back some cool stuff, but I don't have a credit card so... yeah. I'll just have to buy it whenever it comes out - and I can't wait.

As a matter of fact I did buy YNAB4 last year. ;) (Not that I've used it.)

Anustart

Speaking of Square, they need to go the extra mile and release ff ix on steam. As much as I love 8 & 7, I have yet to replay 9. I think I'm overdue for another romp across that world. Though I dont look forward to pleasing 100 nobles again, or for the love of all that is holy, racing that spawn of Satan, hippaul. That mother fucker gets juiced in the later levels.

Mokoi

Banned
AC4 has always been my go to game for that itch. Not sure why I like that one so much more than the others.

I always just jump to 6 for a quick fix. Also I just don't know about assault Horizon. I just need to play some more. Probably should of checked the control scheme right away, and changed it to original. The auto leveling feature is just terrible. Why would they deprave people the chance to do high g turns in the beginning! Wait a minute I don't even think High G turns work the same anymore now that I think about it. Need to relaunch it and check. I assume the auto-leveling is there to help people out in the new cinematic dog fighting mode. I have not look up anything about the game, so I hope it doesn't force you to enter dogfight mode in order to pass certain levels. Also maybe it's because I don't remember correctly, but the enemy planes seem to take a lot more damage in this game.

for someone that hates "animu" you sure use a lot of anime avatars dude

Nahh I don't hate the animu man. Also lol I don't see it.

Rhaknar

Nahh I don't hate the animu man. Also lol I don't see it.

where is that avatar from anyway? and why does she constantly have the blush thing going like she has a dildo in her panties?

JaseC

Speaking of Square, they need to go the extra mile and release ff ix on steam. As much as I love 8 & 7, I have yet to replay 9. I think I'm overdue for another romp across that world. Though I dont look forward to pleasing 100 nobles again, or for the love of all that is holy, racing that spawn of Satan, hippaul. That mother fucker gets juiced in the later levels.

9 is problematic since as far as native versions are concerned there's just the PSX. I mean, with the game being so old it'd be relatively easy to get it up and running adequately on the PC, but with situations like this publishers tend to take the path of least resistance or don't take one at all. It's a pity, too, as unlike 7 and 8, 9 apparently has high(er)-res art assets that would be perfectly suited for a re-release.

Tellaerin

Oh yes. Now I feel like playing UT99 or Unreal Championship 2 again...

A fan of UT99 and UC2? You, sir, have excellent taste. *fistbump*

I thought Epic was really onto something with UC2. About the only thing I can think of with a vaguely similar feel is Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (mobile combatants, mix of ranged and melee combat, almost fighting game-esque feel), but UC2 was definitely its own beast. I'd kill for a sequel.

I've seen this game pop up quite a few times recently, so i finally clicked it out of curiosity. Holy crap, its a remake of Soldiers of Fortune for the Sega Genesis. I had no idea.

Yep, it was The Chaos Engine on the Amiga (and the ST too, IIRC). :3

A fan of UT99 and UC2? You, sir, have excellent taste. *fistbump*

I thought Epic was really onto something with UC2. About the only thing I can think of with a vaguely similar feel is Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (mobile combatants, mix of ranged and melee combat, almost fighting game-esque feel), but UC2 was definitely its own beast. I'd kill for a sequel.
Aww yeah *fistbump*

I'm thinking an UC mod for the new Unreal is in order. Or a "GAF gets their Xboxes out and tries to XBC or Xlink for UC2 night"

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Heads-up: Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon has just released on Steam and Bundlekey's should be available now. I got it from The Indie Bundle (bought somewhere around December 2013) on Groupees, for example.
Heard some really great things about it, especially on rpgwatch. Visuals are a bit...rough, though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
^
but the reason for that 1/7 chance to die is amazing and if it was any other way, it wouldnt work

you know all those times we joke about "they should make a game so fucked up, it erases your save when you die!" or something? This sounds exactly like that lol

I've never said that I wanted a game like that :p

I do think that it works in that it causes frustration if you do die from it, and that you really feel relieved once the segment is over. It does it's job by adding to the tension, but I can see why people would hate the segment a lot if they die during it. There are some other things in the game that I'm just explaining away as cognitive dissonance at this point because fuck if I wouldn't be stressed that much.

There's also a very thin line when it comes to luck and choice management in the game. You have to focus on multiple things at once and ultimately luck plays a large role in managing which choices to make.

Final Reminder!
The games are:
Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Bioshock Infinite
Dead Rising 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bad Rats

Choose wisely for I have another twist. I have an avatar for the "Winner" of Bad Rats to wear proudly for one week. GLHF!

Everyone is free to enter. If you already own the game you win, feel free to give it away here. +1 to your modbot lootstash. You should all enter for the grand prize.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (phoenix296, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-B0F744CEFE11B547 - Taken by Indignate. 33 entrants total.
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A8790DD02D76D40B - Taken by SSPssp. 46 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EEC3610A6EEF9907 - Taken by adaen. 26 entrants total.
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-8A9147987C89DEDB - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 38 entrants total.
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-397AB214A7C23A97 - Taken by DJSebolski. 66 entrants total.
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-9852D0C5A2A7CCC5 - Taken by Stuggernaut. 28 entrants total.

t1406272235z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not anything drop related, but I doubt the devs will patch it. It's definitely a game that's supposed to make you feel the tension of being subject to luck, and I can't say that it doesn't pull that off well. It's hard to explain why I don't like the luck based stuff without pulling out specific examples.

I don't recommend playing it on normal mode unless you're in a masochist mood, though. The difficulty just makes the luck based choices even worse, increasing the chances of failing the scenario and fully restarting. And it's not difficult in the Souls way or, say, Zelda II way of difficult, where you know why you messed up and you know how not to mess up the next time. That specific one in seven chance of dying is an unavoidable section of the game, and you're going to have the chance of dying during that sequence at least twice. There's nothing you can really do about it. And if you're unlucky enough, your character dies and you just restart the whole thing and hope you don't die during that part again, leading to a lot of repetition if you die repeatedly. I do go slightly more in depth here but ignore it if you don't want events in the game spoiled for you.

I do recommend playing it to see if you like it though. Chapter three feels like it could be much more enjoyable than the first two chapters were. From the portion of chapter three I played, it feels much more management based without the luck elements, so it might get better. Like I said before, the music really adds to the atmosphere of the game, graphically it looks great and the violence still comes off as effectively violent. The writing seems slightly stilted and I spotted a few errors here and there, like in the prologue there's a portion that says "They way the Constellar Federation..." where it should just say "The way," but that's just a minor thing that probably won't bother most people. I don't want to seem like I'm just overplaying the negative points, because it really does have positive points that I think are handled well, but there are definitely things I don't like about the game.

yea that doesn't sound too good

i really don't enjoy chance-related failstates when they're tied to narrative

Anteater

VR, to me, is the only hardware I am looking forward for. After trying out DK1 I cant wait till the CV finally hits.

I really thought the virtual cinema could be an amazing experience, if the resolution is right.

Yeah I think it's going to be amazing.

For the older generations who rarely/never played video games, that shit is probably going to feel like stepping into another dimension to them, I'm kind of more interested to see how my family and friends would react when they're trying it for their first time.

Yep, it was The Chaos Engine on the Amiga (and the ST too, IIRC). :3

Well, since no one else wanted it, guess i'm going down memory lane tonight!
In honor of my good luck with giveaways the past few days, here is a pretty fun little Steam game for someone to take home with them!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Gunstarheroes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gunstarheroes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Super Trench Attack! -- MB-94797E32573C856F - Taken by Deques

^

Dead Space 3 did this if you played on hardcore.
If you died, your save game was deleted. Easily circumvented with cloud saves though, if you felt like it.

Dead Space 2's hardcore "save limit" was a lot more tense...

where is that avatar from anyway? and why does she constantly have the blush thing going like she has a dildo in her panties?

Probably because you know what she's hiding in her panties?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Madridy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-168D60CE33B5D3C4 - Taken by Zeeman. 49 entrants total.
Hitman: Absolution -- MB-FF638B5C763CDAB1 - Taken by bloke. 31 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-449241889A183C97 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 30 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-75F6BBAD20F62AD3 - Taken by VikasNarula. 17 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-37AC89BB4726AD1D - Taken by tioslash. 14 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-6068BC7EC235AE71 - Taken by kadab. 2 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever: Doctor Who Cloned Me -- MB-4615CA473F640F3C - Taken by Driw3r. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-3A896277871E6A1A - Taken by Kiru. 14 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-B97F160D7D26D992 - Taken by Kanhir. 1 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-085771C5CA432516
Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons -- MB-1159FB4C01F183D0 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-96FC74AE11054476 - Taken by darkchewie. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-FCCB90476A40B7FC - Taken by TheLight. 9 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut -- MB-44CAFEE6EAA0EA70 - Taken by cardinalmind. 43 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-6D969EA29E5AAD42 - Taken by Krusenstern. 16 entrants total.

t1406312982z1.png

Erekiddo

I used to enjoy Steam, until my friend duped me into redeeming Bad Rats onto my profile. I had gifted him the game back in December, and I bet that he couldn't trick me into doing so. 7 months later, he striked.

Why GAF. Why. :(

Rhaknar

Probably because you know what she's hiding in her panties?

I dont know even know where shes from :(

Also Frost, im about to throw myself headfirst back down that horrible SSF4 custom costumes hole, stop me before its too late

I used to enjoy Steam, until my friend duped me into redeeming Bad Rats onto my profile. I had gifted him the game back in December, and I bet that he couldn't trick me into doing so. 7 months later, he striked.

Why GAF. Why. :(

someone tricked me into redeeming a key recently, I cant believe I fell for it. I was actually impressed after, it was so smoothly done. And no it wasnt Bad Rats, Ive owned that proudly for ages

Coldsun

Banned
After reading JShackles experience with FF3 on Steam, I've moved it up my wishlist (from 5 to 1 and will probably just end up buying it outright tonight. :D

Deques

Well, since no one else wanted it, guess i'm going down memory lane tonight!
In honor of my good luck with giveaways the past few days, here is a pretty fun little Steam game for someone to take home with them!

Super Trench Attack looks interesting game. I will have a look on it when I have time
Thanks for the game

I dont know even know where shes from :(

Also Frost, im about to throw myself headfirst back down that horrible SSF4 custom costumes hole, stop me before its too late

someone tricked me into redeeming a key recently, I cant believe I fell for it. I was actually impressed after, it was so smoothly done. And no it wasnt Bad Rats, Ive owned that proudly for ages

Custom costumes?
You mean like... mods for existing characters?
Sort of like the L4D2 stuff but not as simple cause it's not in the Steam Workshop?

I've given you random keys to redeem before...
But I don't think you're talking about me.

Mokoi

Banned

Lewd! Also that is Nozomi Toujou a character the Love Live! School Idol Project franchise.
---
Still need to finish Teslagrad, and been really enjoying it so far. If you own it please consider actually playing it. Don't let it sit in your backlog too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom