• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

dang what else will they think of

Well I mean there's a also a pretty great action game in there too, if you're into that sort of thing.

ku-xlarge.gif

But butts are the main draw.

Vibranium

Banned
Konami stopped being once the PS2/Xbox era ended. Now they are the Metal Gear Company.

They gave us their amazing E3 2010 at least, never forget (even if the presenters, except for Tak, want to).

Silent Hill needs a comeback, I'm in the camp who thinks Kojima should take a crack at it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Haha, the ending made me jump and spiders don't faze me at all. Naturally I immediately thought of you. ;)

List of cool people? Because that's what the "C" in my name stands for, you know.

and i was happy you thought about me when watching a movie

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've decided to give myself a crackpot survival-horror game list of horror games I am waiting for on Steam.

Dusk_Golems_Horror_List.png

Now let's see how many I don't end up checking off.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think I have the formula for the GOAT game.

I Am Alive + DayZ + STALKER = WOWOWOWOW

Just take STALKER and make it work online somehow, that would be the best thing ever. Different Stalker factions to give some sense to the killing of other human players etc.

Enco

Just take STALKER and make it work online somehow, that would be the best thing ever. Different Stalker factions to give some sense to the killing of other human players etc.
DayZ in the STALKER engine would be nice.

I really like the stamina and threatening system in I Am Alive and feel more games should use it.

Climbing shit and expending effort depletes stamina and you can end up falling. Have a gun with no ammo? Cool. Threaten people and make them think otherwise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
and i was happy you thought about me when watching a movie

And we'll always have that memory... or something.

I've decided to give myself a crackpot survival-horror game list of horror games I am waiting for on Steam.

Cryostasis was on Steam. I'm not sure where the publishing rights landed -- there are quite a few fingers in that pie. Hard to say when or even if it'll come back.

Dusk Golem

you forgot the Siren games ;)

I didn't forget, I just think they don't have a chance as Sony has their fingers in the company involved with its development. Similar reason for no Fatal Frame, I think the chances of that coming to PC are nigh unlikely to even crackpot dream.

C4rter

Playing "Nocturne" again would be sooo awesome.

On the other hand, I guess the controls would make me go insane.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I didn't forget, I just think they don't have a chance as Sony has their fingers in the company involved with its development. Similar reason for no Fatal Frame, I think the chances of that coming to PC are nigh unlikely to even crackpot dream.

I guess you're right ... well at least we can still emulate some of those games ;) better than nothing :p

those Blair Witch Project games weren't too bad either :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I guess you're right ... well at least we can still emulate some of those games ;) better than nothing :p

Rustin Parr is a legitimately good game, I liked the sequel as well, never managed to get into the third one, maybe I should try again. But I loved the time period of Rustin Parr the most, it was super cool.

dani_dc

I'm surprised we didn't get any of the early RE on Steam yet, those games were released essentially for any platform that exists.

Stainless

Wasn't sure it was new thread worthy but the quakecon sale for today is for skyrim for $5. Legendary Edition is $13.59

Did a search and Oblivion and Morrowind are also $5 each

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Rustin Parr is a legitimately good game, I liked the sequel as well, never managed to get into the third one, maybe I should try again.

all 3 of those games were pretty good actually :) I remember playing them

Dusk Golem

On the other hand, I guess the controls would make me go insane.

I've managed to get it working recently on a Windows 7 PC. But while unlikely, I can crackpot dream.

Yup, you can emulate a lot of these, but I'd want to gift so many of these out...

Blair Witch would be great but those stand even less a chance than NOCTURNE for the fact their licensed games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed that for you.

Same thing as pushing it out, more or less :p

Really though, Konami's really fallen from what it used to be. A new Suikoden hasn't been released in the west since 2008, Silent Hill is more or less in limbo to me since it's been so long since we've heard any news of Kojima's supposed game, PES is, well, PES, ZOE is practically a dead franchise by this point, Contra might be in the same boat.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The only thing I really would like to see on steam is a source port of Blood. It would be nice to play it in full widescreen with a nice framerate.

all 3 of those games were pretty good actually :) I remember playing them

Didn't they also make an Alone in the Dark game using the same engine?

Dusk Golem

I'm surprised we didn't get any of the early RE on Steam yet, those games were released essentially for any platform that exists.

Capcom seems to be going backwards with its entries, but RE1, 2, and 3 all do have PC ports. Hell, several of the titles on this list have PC ports that still work just fine on modern PCs (Silent Hill 2-4, Dino Crisis 1-2, Ju-On, Suffering, Waxworks, Martian Gothic, etc.).

I do think eventually all main RE games will end up on Steam. I'd like to imagine they don't just use their old PC ports as they one day want to do updated ports.

Deitus

Same thing as pushing it out, more or less :p

More or less. I just didn't want anyone to get the mistaken idea that Konami still develops games that are not Metal Gear, because they clearly don't.

Really though, Konami's really fallen from what it used to be. A new Suikoden hasn't been released in the west since 2008, Silent Hill is more or less in limbo to me since it's been so long since we've heard any news of Kojima's supposed game, PES is, well, PES, ZOE is practically a dead franchise by this point, Contra might be in the same boat.

Pretty much. So many good series being squandered. I really hope they can turn it around somehow, but I have little faith at this point.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom seems to be going backwards with its entries, but RE1, 2, and 3 all do have PC ports. Hell, several of the titles on this list have PC ports that still work just fine on modern PCs (Silent Hill 2-4, Dino Crisis 1-2, Ju-On, Suffering, Waxworks, Martian Gothic, etc.).

I do think eventually all main RE games will end up on Steam. I'd like to imagine they don't just use their old PC ports as they one day want to do updated ports.

I could see a Resident Evil HD Collection happening, with 1-3, maybe 0 and Code Veronica if Capcom wants to go the extra mile.

Dusk Golem

I've got Nocturne on CD right here but I could not get it to work on Win 7.
@Dusk Golem, how did you do that?

It's requires a bit of elbow grease, but actually I cracked the puzzle sooner than I expected and wasn't too difficult.

Here's what I did:

1.) DO NOT install the game in the Program Files(x86) folder, this for some reason creates problems. What I did was create a folder for NOCTURNE and installed it into C://Games/NOCTURNE

2.) Nocturne Patch 2 (warning; clicking this link will automatically download the patch file): http://www.fileplanet.com/36159/download/Nocturne-Patch-2-(Build-1.00.52)

^This was the last patch released for NOCTURNE, it fixed some issues and added Windows XP support, which makes the game easier to run on modern PCs. Put it in the installed games folder to make it automatically detect game location and patch it immediately.

3.) Download this old video codec to make cutscenes work properly: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/indeo_codec.htm

4.) Right-click the game's executable, and set the Compatibility settings to "Windows 98/ Windows ME" mode, Disable desktop composition, and Disable themes.

There's one other thing I did, but I think that's all I needed to do to get it working. Through this everything works, except the OP cutscene which will be a black screen unless you tab out the window and tab back in (which will make it appear for some reason).

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, next game on the backlog: Betrayer.

This game is weird =/

Sad to see so many games "missing" from Steam, would love to also play Silent Hill on PC.

PS: Really glad I managed to snag Cryostasis when it was on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom