• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I have an oldish system.. i7 3770k and a gtx 670. Thief ran fine even with the annoying hidden loading screens.

Metro 2033 I couldn't get close to 60 FPS maxed..while playing. And screw the freakin library that made me rage -.-

I believe the dx11 system they used is the culprit for the poor performance at max settings. Specifically Tesselation, but I am a few years removed from that discussion.

Why didn't you just turn down some settings to achieve 60 FPS? Honestly, you may just of had to turn down one setting and would have been fine.

Also, the library is an intense cat and mouse affair. Excellent way to end a game.

Sendou

Maybe Valve realized your main account is trash too and decided to merge them. Or your Steam Community cookies were from the other account or something.

Speaking of which: is there known cases of Valve merging accounts when requested? I have CSS on my other account and would love to have it on my main one.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
A random old-ass Sierra adventure appears.

And they're working on a remake: http://www.goldrush-game.com/en/remake/

It was mentioned before, but when it arrives on Steam, it'll be one of the oldest games on the store. It's really great to see a game this old go up for sale.

sounds like the game would be much more enjoyable on easy, specially if it still forces you to make those hard choices. shooting that girl in the leg broke my heart, this game is brutal

The violent, difficult choice aspect of the game works out really well sometimes. There's two specific parts of chapter two that made me a little squeamish because of the gore.

also, im shocked noone mentioned the new waifu simulator coming soon

header_292x136.jpg

Two reasons for that. One, I thought that was still on Greenlight. Two, it's a Winter Wolves game, so I would only mention it to warn people that it's probably bad.

Stop posting about DS2 so I can forget about Break Record. kthx

At least I'm not the only one that remembers fucking Break Record. Atlus pls.

In other news; i'm turning twenty in a couple of day's

Preemptive happy birthday!

Super Trench Attack! has no business being this good, what...what the fuck is going on here >_>

dont just throw it in the backlog if you get it from a bundle, give it a whirl, its really cool

It looks good, but if I do buy it in a bundle, events will likely go:

1. Buy bundle, 2. Maybe install Super Trench Attack, 3. Never actually get around to playing it.

Sad truth :/

its garbagedump so doesnt affect throttle

"taken by ModBot"

ModBot is truly a machine of mercy :p

Sarcasm

I believe the dx11 system they used is the culprit for the poor performance at max settings. Specifically Tesselation, but I am a few years removed from that discussion.

Why didn't you just turn down some settings to achieve 60 FPS? Honestly, you may just of had to turn down one setting and would have been fine.

Also, the library is an intense cat and mouse affair. Excellent way to end a game.

Oh I did turn down. And the library was glitched for me.

They weren't at their spawn points and would insta attack even if I wasn't looking. Than like 25 loads latter they spawned normally and I was able to just run all the way to the end lol.

RS4-

Hey man, I'm just proposing hypotheses for this uncommon phenomenon, don't shoot the messenger!

But seriously, I think it must be the cookies. You probably logged in on Steam's main page while leaving your main account logged in the Community site.

Haven't logged into community in quite a while. Aside from that weird inventory thing, the past week or so, steam never stays logged in after I close my browser.

I don't have that problem with GAF or anywhere else. This is even with clearing out all the cookies, etc.

Maybe I'll just do a fresh FF install and see what happens. Pretty annoying.

And still waiting for Super Time Force!

Divius

15 hours into Fallout New Vegas and I am so bored with it. These quests feel like chores and nothing about the games appeals to me anymore. At first I was excited getting new quests and exploring unknown locations, but now everything just blends together into one grey mush. Doesn't help that I don't like the gameplay anymore either. Oh well, I tried and it was fun for a while.

Steam is going down a similar path of ios/android right now, so don't get too preachy about it ;).

oh, i know. I've seen the rise of terrible bundles just like the rest. The only difference is that while we still get things like bad rats and meh ios games, we also get stuff like the Witcher 3 and alien isolation. I don't mind more games (regardless of their origins) so long as we still get the hot shit along with them, too. The more the merrier!

Naw, it was the DOF setting in DX11. It chewed up frames and spit them out with no regard for life. Turn that off and the game plays buttery smooth.

And the library loses something once you realized that those enemies can actually be killed. Just get your shotty going and then you can walk around with no fears, like those sweet tshirts from the 90s.

Dr Dogg

Theif doesn't run that bad on Nvidia hardware now after their latest diver updates.

That is if you spend a small fortune on GPUs mind
. It does have some hideous frame pacing issues that are present in every single version and effect any GPU vendor due to being a fault of the game itself. Plus the texture flicker with SLI set ups is a bit of a pain now and then as well as shadow depth rendering getting a little screwy sometimes.

15 hours into Fallout New Vegas and I am so bored with it. These quests feel like chores and nothing about the games appeals to me anymore. At first I was excited getting new quests and exploring unknown locations, but now everything just blends together into one grey mush. Doesn't help that I don't like the gameplay anymore either. Oh well, I tried and it was fun for a while.

Did you get to New Vegas proper, as in the main city? That's when things really start opening up and branching off. Also did you stumble upon the quest Come Fly With Me? That was a highlight for me when I first played FNV but really the writing, world and characters within felt massively better than what Bethesda did with Fallout 3 for me. Never was a fan of the gameplay elements and mechanics of either but the other points I mentioned more than made up for it for me. Though 15 hours is a bloody good go so I'm sure you know what you like or don't like.

Its okay I will start play through 4 just so the world balances out and there is no rapture.

aku:jiki

I have an oldish system.. i7 3770k and a gtx 670. Thief ran fine even with the annoying hidden loading screens.

Metro 2033 I couldn't get close to 60 FPS maxed..while playing. And screw the freakin library that made me rage -.-
I have a 4690k and a GTX780 and 2033 is the only game that has dropped frames for me so far.

Actually, Betrayer also has some tearing issues when maxed, and loses frames when I turn on vsync. Guess I should've mentioned that in my little review...

I'm glad you posted this. It makes me feel better about giving up on it a few hours into it. I beat Fallout 3, but this one just didn't grab me.

Hugstable

Banned
I have a 4690k and a GTX780 and 2033 is the only game that has dropped frames for me so far.

Actually, Betrayer also has some tearing issues when maxed, and loses frames when I turn on vsync. Guess I should've mentioned that in my little review...

There is an option that you are specifically supposed to turn off or else it always runs like that. I'm on a 4670k and a GTX770 and I was having problems with the game at first also (Metro 2033). I don't have the game installed right now so it's hard to check, but mess around and look in the graphics options and you should definitely find the answer to your problem. I'll look online see if I can find it also.

Edit: Disable Advanced Physics. Should work perfect after that.

Sarcasm

Missing the point about Metro 2033. We are saying its a great benchmarking tool.

We all turned stuff down to get 60 FPS (constant).

saunderez

I'm glad you posted this. It makes me feel better about giving up on it a few hours into it. I beat Fallout 3, but this one just didn't grab me.
I finished both games (as well as the originals) and although lots of people will say New Vegas is the better game next to Fallout 3 I have to disagree. There's very few "wow" moments, most of the vaults are terrible and the majority of the map is homogeneous nothingness. Fallout 3 had its problems but it a much more exciting world IMO. In a lot of ways Fallout 3 feels like Fallout 2 whereas New Vegas feels more like Fallout 1.

Dr Dogg

Wow. Soul Suspect is 70% off at GMG. Using the P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9 voucher, it's 12$. Game released last month.

Western Squeinx title so was going to hit 75% off eventually but within two months is a first I think. It's an ok game if you're a fan of adventure games or games where interaction with the environment is more of a focus than combat encounters.

Myself, Dusk, Stallion and a couple of others wrote about our experiences with Murdered in this thread and this is really going to make me wish I finished posting the bloody PM to Knurek now about having other peoples impressions easily to hand to show people :p

So glad I beat it when I bought it for 15$. I feel bad for anyone who got suckered into paying 50$ for it though.

as soon as it was a pack-in with certain video cards anyone with a good head on their shoulders would've known better than to pay full price for that game. Plus, it's published by Square Enix, famous for rapidly dropping the prices of their western-developed games and is currently hosting a humble bundle.

Yeah, it'll be $5 before the year is over.

Reckoner

I'm still uncertain if Far Cry 3's story is a really bad drama or a selfaware comedy. The dialogue and characters are so ridiculously developed. Good thing is that the island is great to explore and has some interesting secrets and details. Like now, I loved that I was running to a tower and heard two cars coming and my heart started racing "hope they aren't enemies and come after me right now."

Divius

Did you get to New Vegas proper, as in the main city? That's when things really start opening up and branching off. Also did you stumble upon the quest Come Fly With Me? That was a highlight for me when I first played FNV but really the writing, world and characters within felt massively better than what Bethesda did with Fallout 3 for me.
Yeah I did, I actually just killed
Mr. House
and am now contemplating if I want to quit or maybe give the game another chance.

Its okay I will start play through 4 just so the world balances out and there is no rapture.
To each his own :D

jblank83

I finished both games (as well as the originals) and although lots of people will say New Vegas is the better game next to Fallout 3 I have to disagree. There's very few "wow" moments, most of the vaults are terrible and the majority of the map is homogeneous nothingness. Fallout 3 had its problems but it a much more exciting world IMO. In a lot of ways Fallout 3 feels like Fallout 2 whereas New Vegas feels more like Fallout 1.

There is no sane world in which FO 3's vaults are more interesting than New Vegas's. FO 3's vaults are empty crawls with scatterings of random enemies. The only good vault is a joke vault whose joke wears thin after 30 seconds. New Vegas's vaults actually have stories, well crafted encounters, a variety of obstacles and solutions to those obstacles, and good rewards.

The rest I won't argue about, as it's a tired discussion at this point.

Teppic

Gurumin is on greenlight and if you vote yes and join their group you'll get the game for free when it's greenlit. A shameless tactic, but the game looks okay (for a PSX game!) and it's made by Falcom.

Hypership Out of Control is also on greenlight. A pretty good score attack game. Remember playing it on the 360.

just noticed theres a button to return gifts to your inventory (unclaimed of course)

thats cool

edit: Ive been chosen? fuck off Bioware I dont want to play any more old republic

What the fuck, where was this a few days ago when I had to wait 72h for no response from Steam support followed by a refund to my Steam wallet as "a one time courtesy"?

14555056288_941a9123a4_o.png

That's really sad.

Where's grief.exe lately? Need him to put up those shots of Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil 4 HD.

Happy birthday Turfster!
Wish for you to get your hands back to snuff and that someday you'll post about your game in this thread :)

I can't get over how creepy the faces look. The gameplay looks interesting though. A mix of third person cast spelling and first person, too.

Here's a webm and some pics from the match we had last night. Gonna upload the whole session to youtube, but encoding takes time. I'll post some more webms/images in the meantime.
http://a.pomf.se/wixkbe.webm
http://a.pomf.se/tysuzq.webm
http://a.pomf.se/iyysnx.webm
http://a.pomf.se/naiosb.webm

You recorded that whole fiasco? Wow.
What a jank fest. And why are you looking up my skirt in that one photo?

logo3_black_steam_600.png

VERTICAL DROP HEROES HD out on Steam in 11 hours! Procedural platformer RPG made by me, a one man developer.

And to celebrate, here's a raffle for one free Steam key.

ss10-Custom.png

Looks really cool. Entered, thank you, and good luck on your release! :)

giphy.gif

Really sucks for people who paid full price for it. Fuckedup.

This is why everyone should have went and got an AMD silver or gold code.

Gurumin is on greenlight and if you vote yes and join their group you'll get the game for free when it's greenlit. A shameless tactic, but the game looks okay (for a PSX game!) and it's made by Falcom.

Hypership Out of Control is also on greenlight. A pretty good score attack game. Remember playing it on the 360.

It's a PSP game. And as anyone from the Vita thread will know, Totobeni swears by it's awesomeness. He made a believer out of me...

saunderez

There is no sane world in which FO 3's vaults are more interesting than New Vegas's. FO 3's vaults are empty crawls with scatterings of random enemies. The only good vault is a joke vault whose joke wears thin after 30 seconds. New Vegas's vaults actually have stories, well crafted encounters, a variety of obstacles and solutions to those obstacles, and good rewards.

The rest I won't argue about, as it's a tired discussion at this point.

I'm not going to argue either as it's been a long time since I played Fallout 3, that's just the takeaway I had after finishing New Vegas. Might be rose tinted glasses, but overall the experience of New Vegas didn't have as much impact as Fallout 3 did with me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed New Vegas and spent a stupid amount of time playing it, finishing it multiple times as I have every Fallout game, but it just doesn't stick in my mind like Fallout 3 did.

Saty

Damn, SAM doesn't recognize most of the games in today's Playfire credits and won't let me add them cause 'i don't own the game'. Looks like i'll need to d\l tens of GB just to boot the games and get the 'play for the first time' credits.

Damn I'm so good at Gods Will Be Watching, I can fail the first mission faster than anyone, I've got it down to a science, but seriously, this game is hard as hell, but fun to play and figure out how to handle the situation.

Had to take a break for lunch, but the whole time I was thinking of what I could do differently to beat the first mission, not many games make me do that. Look forward to seeing what else this games got in store.

Pakkidis

Noticing Savant the ascent in a lot of giveaways. It's a short arcade game but its strangely addicting. You go up an elevator shooing things and you level up. For a free game its probably better than a lot of the other crap you get on mod bot.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kirosia, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kirosia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Speedrunners -- MB-0245BF12BD81D87F - Taken by arts&crafts. 44 entrants total.

t1406307446z1.png

Beelzebubs

Damn, SAM doesn't recognize most of the games in today's Playfire credits and won't let me add them cause 'i don't own the game'. Looks like i'll need to d\l tens of GB just to boot the games and get the 'play for the first time' credits.

You can manually add the games by using their storeid number i.e. http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/, but you know, using SAM for Playfire stuff not the best idea in general.

Whelan

Banned
Damn I'm so good at Gods Will Be Watching, I can fail the first mission faster than anyone, I've got it down to a science, but seriously, this game is hard as hell, but fun to play and figure out how to handle the situation.

Had to take a break for lunch, but the whole time I was thinking of what I could do differently to beat the first mission, not many games make me do that. Look forward to seeing what else this games got in store.

Good to read some positive views! I'm tempted. Love me a point and click adventure.

Dr Dogg

Yeah I did, I actually just killed
Mr. House
and am now contemplating if I want to quit or maybe give the game another chance.

That's about the point where the main quest can diverge one of four ways. Though you don't quite lock in your end path as you still have the chance to cross, double cross and double double cross before heading out on the final stretch. I think my first time through was in and around 30 hours (I should stop being lazy and go check Steam) but I played through it with a mate whilst we were both suffering from a hangover and finished it in just under 5 hours in Hardcore mode. Once you know what you're doing you can knock the game out in no time but it does become a little tricky towards the end unless you grab a companion. Boone makes the game a cake walk even with the difficulty turned right up plus he has a sweet beret.

I've still got one ending to do and a couple of the DLCs to have a look out but as with everything I spend more than I play these days. I guess there really is a little JaseC in all of us.

Saty

You can manually add the games by using their storeid number i.e. http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/, but you know, using SAM for Playfire stuff not the best idea in general.

Hm, that works. Weird, cause i've been trying to put in the steam id's that are listed in Steamdb, which always seemed to work before.

I don't see any wrong using SAM for play for the first time credits. Saves downloading lots of data just so you can boot the game, have a minute logged in, quit and uninstall. Shouldn't matter to anyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom