• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, SAM doesn't recognize most of the games in today's Playfire credits and won't let me add them cause 'i don't own the game'. Looks like i'll need to d\l tens of GB just to boot the games and get the 'play for the first time' credits.

You can manually add the games by using their storeid number i.e. http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/, but you know, using SAM for Playfire stuff not the best idea in general.

If the game is F2P, you have to go to the store page, click play now, and then get the installation dialogue. Now the game will be "tied" to your account and you can use SAM or the Steamapp_id.txt trick to idle it just like anything else.

As far as SAM and Playfire goes, using SAM to cheat the system to get credit is a no-no, but I fail to see the difference between the SteamApp_ID.txt trick that JaseC uses, the SAM method of launching a game, or downloading 10gb for a game just to launch it once for $0.10. It's all the same.

Whichever method you use, if it's not the "download the full game and launch it", you need to do the "play now" from the store page to get the app associated to your account first.

MTE

Hey, SteamGAF.

Yesterday, I won a giveaway for Gateways.
After having played a bit just now, before bed, I can confirm that it's pretty damn cool. It's like 2D portal, but you have extra abilities (Size changing, and others I'm sure!)
The pixel-art art style is really pleasant, and I'd say the game's definitely worth giving a shot!

Khronico

I finished both games (as well as the originals) and although lots of people will say New Vegas is the better game next to Fallout 3 I have to disagree. There's very few "wow" moments, most of the vaults are terrible and the majority of the map is homogeneous nothingness. Fallout 3 had its problems but it a much more exciting world IMO. In a lot of ways Fallout 3 feels like Fallout 2 whereas New Vegas feels more like Fallout 1.

Ooh boy. I completely disagree with you on everything you just posted. NV has far better vaults than F3 for the most part (Vault 11 > any vault from F3). And few 'wow' moments? What about helping
or sabotaging
the cult of ghouls mission to travel to the moon? What about the final battle on the Hoover Dam? What about discovering the identity of Mr House? What about screwing over every faction with Yes Man and becoming ruler of New Vegas? What about raising the bomber from Lake Mead? What about Beyond the Beef? It's also wierd how you describe NV as F1 and F3 as F2, considering how, if you break the 4 games down and look at them, it's kinda the complete opposite. Also I don't know how Fallout 3 was a more exciting map when it is mile per mile a less dense and less populated world, and had less content/quests than NV.

I still loved F3 and put about 300 hrs in it, but I completely, VEHEMENTLY disagree that it is a better game than NV.

Edit: This took way too long for me to edit and post ha

Saty

If the game is F2P, you have to go to the store page, click play now, and then get the installation dialogue. Now the game will be "tied" to your account and you can use SAM or the Steamapp_id.txt trick to idle it just like anything else.

As far as SAM and Playfire goes, using SAM to cheat the system to get credit is a no-no, but I fail to see the difference between the SteamApp_ID.txt trick that JaseC uses, the SAM method of launching a game, or downloading 10gb for a game just to launch it once for $0.10. It's all the same.

Whichever method you use, if it's not the "download the full game and launch it", you need to do the "play now" from the store page to get the app associated to your account first.

Yeah,
I meant for non-f2p games. The steamid # gave me an error adding the game into SAM but the # from the store page was ok.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Quick reminder: Divinity: Original Sin raffle.

Watching the Pillars of Eternity Quicklook right now. Damn, that game looks good. Love those drawn story-sections and the look of the UI.

iosefe

Hey, SteamGAF.

After having played a bit just now, before bed, I can confirm that it's pretty damn cool. It's like 2D portal, but you have extra abilities (Size changing, and others I'm sure!)
The pixel-art art style is really pleasant, and I'd say the game's definitely worth giving a shot!

oooh. wishlisted.

Altazor

Watching the Pillars of Eternity Quicklook right now. Damn, that game looks good. Love those drawn story-sections and the look of the UI.

as I said yesterday... it amazed me and I want that game NOW. Looks so damn awesome: like taking the best parts of the Infinity Engine games, streamlining the obscure bits and then use modern tech to fully realize the original vision. I can't wait to play it.

Dr Dogg

Is Durante a wizard or something?

"After it has finished, all the information required to achieve HUD-less post-processing and screenshot taking is at our disposal."

Yesssssss.

GeDoSaTo has been going from strength to strength with each new release. I was about 4 updates behind when I installed the latest one and can't belive the amount of extra little tweaks and features Durante has put in let alone the compatibility is growing nicely as well. Good to see PCG are still giving him coverage.

I've been soooo tempted to have a peak but no I must resist. I was at first a bit peeved I didn't back a tier with beta access but I've got way too much on my plate as it is.

Kifimbo

Hey, SteamGAF.

It's pretty good at first, but it became too hard for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Steel & Steam Episode 1 keys are up from groupees steampunk 2 bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steel & Steam: Episode 1 -- MB-4CF07305B4DEEF00 - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.

t1406305879z1.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hey, SteamGAF.

Yeah, that's been on my wishlist for awhile, it always looked like a nice little game.

Tellaerin

There is no sane world in which FO 3's vaults are more interesting than New Vegas's. FO 3's vaults are empty crawls with scatterings of random enemies. The only good vault is a joke vault whose joke wears thin after 30 seconds. New Vegas's vaults actually have stories, well crafted encounters, a variety of obstacles and solutions to those obstacles, and good rewards.

The rest I won't argue about, as it's a tired discussion at this point.

Fallout 3's Vaults had interesting backstories that you uncovered when exploring them. I don't feel the NV Vaults were comparable in terms of lore or atmosphere overall. The closest was probably Vault 11 (the "election vault").

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Steel and Steam -- MB-BBA270587A0F86CE - Taken by Porcupine

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kirosia, who is running this raffle.

Woah, that's new. Did Stump add that so it'd stop driving me insane that modbot edits the first post instead of the "latest"/repost people did? Maybe now I'll be able to see what giveaways that have been reposted thousands of times
Rhaknar ;)
were finally taken/not taken when I get around to scavenging?

Who ended up winning Bad Rats and the Ratty avatar from Phoenix last night?
For those curious:
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-B0F744CEFE11B547 - Taken by Indignate. 33 entrants total. Bad Rats
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A8790DD02D76D40B - Taken by SSPssp. 46 entrants total. Witcher 3
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-EEC3610A6EEF9907 - Taken by adaen. 26 entrants total. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-8A9147987C89DEDB - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 38 entrants total. Bioshock Infinite
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-397AB214A7C23A97 - Taken by DJSebolski. 66 entrants total. Dead Rising 3
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-9852D0C5A2A7CCC5 - Taken by Stuggernaut. 28 entrants total Divinity: Original Sin
Indignate won the avatar. :)
ggs man, ggs.
The winner of Bioshock already owned it so here we go.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (phoenix296, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-0E9BC76480879FD8 - Taken by 2n2. 38 entrants total.

t1406316080z1.png

I'm glad you posted this. It makes me feel better about giving up on it a few hours into it. I beat Fallout 3, but this one just didn't grab me.

I played F3 for a 100 hours, it was one of the defining games of the past gen for me, when I started NV I was just too burned out, there was an unshakeable feeling of deja vu to the whole thing. I regret dropping it, I even modded it to make it look as good as it possibly can but lost interest.
I needed it to be more different. It's an excellent game, the issue was with me, not the game.

kudoboi

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kudoboi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-0BAE297956B03D07 - Taken by Rand6
its rad
this game has been in so many bundles

I have not played this game so i don't actually know if its rad or not

Look at my face.

i'm not sleeping tonight

Jawmuncher

I played F3 for a 100 hours, it was one of the defining games of the past gen for me, when I started NV I was just too burned out, there was an unshakeable feeling of deja vu to the whole thing. I regret dropping it, I even modded it to make it good as look as it possibly can but lost interest.
I needed it to be more different. It's an excellent game, the issue was with me, not the game.

I know the feeling. When I played Dead Rising 2 I was in the same boat. I beat it but it was so similar it took away from my enjoyment even though if didn't actually do anything wrong.

Porcupine

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Steel and Steam -- MB-BBA270587A0F86CE - Taken by Porcupine

Thank you anonymous one!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Darkwood-Logo.jpg

super early and short impressions of Darkwood. Holy shit, you know when a game just clicks with you from the start?

Gorgeous visuals, amazing sound design, gameplay feels a little wonky right now (would benefit imensely from gamepad support in my opinion) but the systems in place are great (I didnt know there was crafting!), just terrific mood / vibe overall. I got stuck shortly after the tutorial and called it there, ill delve deeper into it with more time tomorow when im fresh, will probably be streaming it then (found my mic too!).

Just a great first impression for me (its very early in the early access aparently, the version is called Alpha 1.0 and I believe only the prologue and chapter 1 are available for now)

Yrael

Gaaaaames!

I can especially recommend The Cat Lady here. I haven't played too many horror games, but I found this quite captivating, albeit disturbing at timesits melancholic and introspective atmosphere is quite beautiful. This review gives a good idea of what to expect from it. (The Cat Lady is also partly the story of the protagonist's battle with depression, so I should perhaps warn that if suicide/attempted suicide is a difficult subject for you then this'll be a confronting game to play!)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yrael, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-DAE09F40D0CD6D3D - Taken by Hanzou. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Instant Dungeon! (Desura) -- MB-A3841F1F4F1A8989 - Taken by Popstar. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-3CA7B47DB4E72366 - Taken by Alduin. 2 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-D3A8D365012E5B0A - Taken by Drakhyrr. 2 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-BAAD84C2250EE973 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Paradigm Shift -- MB-3AFE8E570753E01F - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-AD497493D2203B24 - Taken by ShogunX. 1 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-9D23849DC5D34A8C - Taken by Pakkidis. 13 entrants total.
The Cat Lady -- MB-F84330AAFC643C5A - Taken by Dusk Golem. 7 entrants total.

t1406316680z1.png

wilflare

should be first come first serve now

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wilflare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-57683292B1A8662B - Taken by Emperor_EL. 7 entrants total.

t1406267810z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
logo3_black_steam_600.png

VERTICAL DROP HEROES HD out on Steam in 11 hours! Procedural platformer RPG made by me, a one man developer.

And to celebrate, here's a raffle for one free Steam key.

ss10-Custom.png

That looks like great fun. Congrats on the release and I'll be sure to buy it in the near future.

Worth it for inMomentum, a fun forward runner game, and the horror themed adventure The Cat Lady.

Rhaknar

Steel & Steam: Episode 1 -- MB-4CF07305B4DEEF00

you take the anon one but not mine which was posted first? :(

Dr Dogg

Bundle Junk still wanting a home. Yours to do with what you wish I wont judge.

Nothing about the Firefly game in here?

The official website, www.keepflying.com, isn't loading (I assume it's getting hammered), but a quick search reveals that this is coming to Steam.

Oooooh nice. love me some FireFly. I was assuming what was announced a few days ago was going to be some rift on the board game that's been out a few years as there was some mention way back when the series was still alive and kicking of more branches off in to other directions.

waby

Cleaning my inventory I supposed
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (waby, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Roogoo -- MB-2CC7DCE2C8ADCAAC - Taken by FauX. 2 entrants total.

t1406307140z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The game itself wasn't announced today, it's been known about for quite a while. The new news is that the cast is going to be in it.

Which I honestly thought was old news as I remember almost all of the actors talking about doing some work back when the MMO was first announced in the previous decade. Then I see this is something slightly different and I stopped caring.

I might rewatch the show however, so some good came out of it.

You recorded that whole fiasco? Wow.
What a jank fest. And why are you looking up my skirt in that one photo?
Lol, says the guy who tried playing competitive MP on PC with a gamepad.
To be fair, I played Versus the first time yesterday and I have to say it sucked a bit. Too much chaos.
That Yama level is so beautifully detailed and varied over its course, such a shame we didn't have the time to soak any of that in. Gonna play that again in CO-OP and I already know it's gonna be a blast.
We should play some time together again but in CO-OP. You're gonna love it.
Actually, I took some more indecent images >_>
Encoding the video takes me about 5 hours..... *~*
Look at my face.
Ha! Look at the bright side, you've won the most unique gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom