• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

it does become a little tricky towards the end unless you grab a companion. Boone makes the game a cake walk even with the difficulty turned right up plus he has a sweet beret.
Yeah I noticed that :p Dude spots enemies from miles away and instakills them without breaking a sweat.

wilflare

Lol, says the guy who tried playing competitive MP on PC with a gamepad.
To be fair, I played Versus the first time yesterday and I have to say it sucked a bit. Too much chaos.
That Yama level is so beautifully detailed and varied over its course, such a shame we didn't have the time to soak any of that in. Gonna play that again in CO-OP and I already know it's gonna be a blast.
We should play some time together again but in CO-OP. You're gonna love it.
Actually, I took some more indecent images >_>
Encoding the video takes me about 5 hours..... *~*

Ha! Look at the bright side, you've won the most unique gift!

whats with all those awesome mods/costumes lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, SAM doesn't recognize most of the games in today's Playfire credits and won't let me add them cause 'i don't own the game'. Looks like i'll need to d\l tens of GB just to boot the games and get the 'play for the first time' credits.
Good to hear. Hopefully it will stop working for everyone else and they won't have to keep butchering the rewards.

Copons

So, I'm at a point in D:OS when the plot actually forces you to cross an entire area crawling filled with webs, eggs* and of course full fledged huge spiders that spit poison from a creepy hole on their belly and when they die they lie on their back and their thin legs curl up with that ticking sound that years of games and movies made me terrified to hear.
And the fact that the area slows down the heroes, making battles last way longer than usual, is just the cherry on top.

annnnd when you break an egg, from it an adult spider comes out... WTF?

Fuck spiders, but mostly fuck developers and whatnot that find spiders the best thing ever to scatter in their creations.
And fuck Tolkien of course. :'(

jcspzrfyvQxA7.JPG

Steam over delivering on value. Appreciate the offer though, Devolver.

Ozium

BorderZone (shit game) and Lucius cards both have a silver colored border around them and EVERY SINGLE TIME I see it I'm like "ooh a foi--nope."

y u do dis?

Jawmuncher

So, I'm at a point in D:OS when the plot actually forces you to cross an entire area crawling filled with webs, eggs* and of course full fledged huge spiders that spit poison from a creepy hole on their belly and when they die they lie on their back and their thin legs curl up with that ticking sound that years of games and movies made me terrified to hear.
And the fact that the area slows down the heroes, making battles last way longer than usual, is just the cherry on top.

annnnd when you break an egg, from it an adult spider comes out... WTF?

Fuck spiders, but mostly fuck developers and whatnot that find spiders the best thing ever to scatter in their creations.
And fuck Tolkien of course. :'(

I personally am glad spiders are all over the place. I love em. Especially since they can be so cute .
http://31.media.tumblr.com/fc06d375b5684fce63043c643912f2cb/tumblr_n5kooz80R91qaqfkho1_500.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The Cat Lady is really good. I liked it very much, so I'd recommend trying it if you're interested in adventure games (it's kinda like a point & click one, but with direct control of the character in a 2D space).

Gaaaaames!

I can especially recommend The Cat Lady here. I haven't played too many horror games, but I found this quite captivating, albeit disturbing at times…its melancholic and introspective atmosphere is quite beautiful. This review gives a good idea of what to expect from it. (The Cat Lady is also partly the story of the protagonist's battle with depression, so I should perhaps warn that if suicide/attempted suicide is a difficult subject for you then this'll be a confronting game to play!)
I like how the game touches those difficult topics in a tactful and mature way, I believe it's an accurate representation of a depressed mind.

Ventara

There was a giveaway of two Divinities, with first-come-first-served rule? fml, I knew I shouldn't have gone to sleep.

Hey guys, GMG gives out Steam keys, right? I was thinking of getting Murdered: Soul Suspect for $12.50 that was mentioned a bit earlier.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There was a giveaway of two Divinities, with first-come-first-served rule? fml, I knew I shouldn't have gone to sleep.

Hey guys, GMG gives out Steam keys, right? I was thinking of getting Murdered: Soul Suspect for $12.50 that was mentioned a bit earlier.

if it says "this game requires a steam account to play" yes its a steam key. Murdered is anyway, but for future reference

Hanzou

Yep should be a steam key

swx

hb gifts

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (swx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-38396A5A64DDECAA - Taken by prudislav
Killing Floor -- MB-7A847258423E4733 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 5 entrants total.

t1406308820z1.png

Copons

Usually when a deal is mentioned here, and if it isn't pointed out otherwise, it's a Steam redeemable key.
But anyway, you can just check on GMG (or whatever other store) if in the game page you can find a "free Steam account required" or "DRM: Steamworks" or something like that. :)

Ventara

if it says "this game requires a steam account to play" yes its a steam key. Murdered is anyway, but for future reference

Yep should be a steam key

Usually when a deal is mentioned here, and if it isn't pointed out otherwise, it's a Steam redeemable key.
But anyway, you can just check on GMG (or whatever other store) if in the game page you can find a "free Steam account required" or "DRM: Steamworks" or something like that. :)

Cool, thanks guys!

Ozium

How would people feel about a DOTA2 games night? Open to everyone. Learn how to play steam's most popular game with fellow steamgaffers.

I'd be down but I have no idea what to do... and I don't know if DOTA 2 would be the same without being screamed at by Russians.

Almost done with FFX HD which means I can stop neglecting my Steam Library. Think I'm gonna start with Assault Horizon to see if it's worth the 5 bucks.

Altazor

super early and short impressions of Darkwood. Holy shit, you know when a game just clicks with you from the start?

Gorgeous visuals, amazing sound design, gameplay feels a little wonky right now (would benefit imensely from gamepad support in my opinion) but the systems in place are great (I didnt know there was crafting!), just terrific mood / vibe overall. I got stuck shortly after the tutorial and called it there, ill delve deeper into it with more time tomorow when im fresh, will probably be streaming it then (found my mic too!).

Just a great first impression for me (its very early in the early access aparently, the version is called Alpha 1.0 and I believe only the prologue and chapter 1 are available for now)

oh, thank you for your impressions... seems really interesting. Wishlisted and I'm anxious to see its progress.

Lol, says the guy who tried playing competitive MP on PC with a gamepad.
To be fair, I played Versus the first time yesterday and I have to say it sucked a bit. Too much chaos.
That Yama level is so beautifully detailed and varied over its course, such a shame we didn't have the time to soak any of that in. Gonna play that again in CO-OP and I already know it's gonna be a blast.
We should play some time together again but in CO-OP. You're gonna love it.
Actually, I took some more indecent images >_>
Encoding the video takes me about 5 hours..... *~*

Ha! Look at the bright side, you've won the most unique gift!

Hmmm, according to you, I wasn't even the worst -- imagine how much better I'd be if I was comfortable with the controls... :p

I've never been on a L4D2 server where gamepads were disallowed... if I'd known that, I probably would've given my spot to dot or something.

What about it now?

derExperte

If someone wants a 20% Olliolli voucher pm me. But restart Steam first, you'll probably get one too.

Also while Devolver is one of my favorite publishers they need to send those out before release to not screw people who buy early, isn't the first time this happened.

Copons

The first step to recovery is taking that small step. Though just playing a game with spiders should be helping some what.

But actually my fear is somewhat changed.

I remember 10 years ago, playing WOW, I just couldn't even approach spider-infested areas. Like, I actually asked my guildmates to go clear them out for me to cross them (one of the perks of being a guild master I guess :D ).
At the same time, IRL if I had like a hunch of a spider in my room, I was out asking like my mother to clear the room for me to go back in to ask my guildmates to clear virtual rooms for me. :D

After a little bit tho, those spiders weren't that scary anymore.
And neither tiny city spiders (proper cities, not JaseC cities), which I still cannot kill, but I manage to live knowing they're there somewhere, hopefully very far from my desk.

But, as I overcame fear for a couple of types of spiders, every time I see a new (real or not) type, i'm back to square one all over again. :(

Deitus

How would people feel about a DOTA2 games night? Open to everyone. Learn how to play steam's most popular game with fellow steamgaffers.

I'd be up for that. I've played LoL, and done the tutorial and a few bot matches in DOTA 2, so I know the basics, but I don't know any of the important things you need to know to actually play a game and not get raged at by my team (like what the characters are and what they can do, and how to build them). So I'm all for a more casual setting where people are okay with teaching newer players.

When would this happen? Hopefully on a weekend so I have more free time to actually play.

I guess I should start downloading the last 6 months of updates for DOTA when I get home.

I'd be down but I have no idea what to do... and I don't know if DOTA 2 would be the same without being screamed at by Russians.

I'm by no means an expert and I'm sure some who join will be more knowledgeable than me so if you have questions about anything, someone will be able to answer.

I want a friendly environment where complete newbies are welcome to play. It would just be a friendly game between gaffers.

Now I'm wondering what mode is most noob friendly. I want to say single draft because you're limited to only three heroes and they generally all have different roles.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So my full impressions of Freedom Planet.

header_292x136.jpg

Freedom Planet is a 2D action-platformer that borrows a lot from 16-bit SEGA, Treasure, and Capcom games, but manages to feel fresh and unique through clever design, a folded-in story experience, and obviously a lot of thought put into the game's excellent design.

Freedom Planet tells the story of a group of previously rogue animals, Sash Lilac and Carol Tea, who find themselves involved as one of the few with the knowledge that their home planet being invaded by an alien overlord, Arktivus Brevon, and his army, who are after a stone of great power that rests on their planet, the Kingdom Stone. Getting involved with two other animals, Milla Basset and Torque, the four of them team-up to try and save the world.

The voice acting of the game takes a bit to get used to at first, but in the end the actors did good on delivering on their roles, and what I pretty much expected to be a pretty lackluster tale tacked onto the game actually provided characters I did end up caring about, developed through the course of the game, and even got pretty emotionally touching, dark, but with the right amount of humor thrown in to keep it entertaining. However, if you don't care at all about the story, when starting a game you can choose to play 'Classic Mode', which lets you play through all the stages with no story whatsoever.

Freedom Planet features three playable characters, Lilac, Carol, and Milla, all of who control and play completely differently. Lilac is the most straight-forward character, with a focus on speed and acrobatic ability. She can dash madly through stages and will be a favorite of those who have an inner speed demon. She does a variety of beat-em up style combos with slices and kicks for enemies, and uses a charge meter for a variety of her swirl and dash attacks. Carol is slower than Lilac by default, but when she collects gas from stages, she gets the ability to ride a motorbike, which she can use to do a number of spin attacks, wheelies, drive up walls, and a lot more. However, even when off her bike, she can be tactiful, with a dagger with longer reach and damage than Lilac's attacks, a jump dash, wall jump, and can use certain devices in stages Lilac can't. Milla is the slowest of the crew, and needs to be played the most tactfully. She can't attack enemies directly easily, but is very good on the defense. She can fly using her ears, summon a green cube at any time which she can throw, use to collect and pick-up nearby objects like bombs, or generate a barrier shield with she can use to defend from attacks. And when she breaks her shield, it forms a laser that delivers high damage to enemies.

All three characters go through mostly the same stages, but there are a few stages that are exclusive to each character and some stages that two characters may visit while the other will go to their own unique stage. It's very interesting to see how all three tackle the same stages very differently, however.

ss_48a1c057a34592690f3d5fa47f8daa80138a4993.600x338.jpg

Most may expect the game on first glance to be a Sonic-clone, the game started development as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and has been in development for about three years. However, while playing what I was most reminded of was games by Treasure, such as Gunstar Heroes. The Sonic influence is definitely there, but this game forms itself as a beast all its own through its own unique level design, bigger focus on combat and stage gimmicks, and constantly escalating gameplay.

The level design is absolutely ace and really impressed me. The stages are unique, fun, and challenging, while both building up difficulty slowly but surely while also introducing a number of new situations and mechanics. Most stages feature completely different enemies and stage gimmicks, but manage to really use them in ways you get familiar with them quickly and then go all-out, which feels natural and progressive despite each stage having a high number of unique gimmicks. You'll do everything from climbing from spike traps, riding disco-ball Ferris Wheels, avoiding drills and kicking them into walls to bypass them, jumping between missiles to get from airship to airship, swimming alongside and avoiding missiles from a submerged submarine, and a lot, lot more. Stages are usually actually fairly meaty, being of pretty decent length and with many multiple paths to take through almost all of them.

Several times through most stages you'll fight a number of bosses, usually 2-5 before the stage is up. And they deserve particular mention, as the boss fights are challenging, fun, creative, and feature both strategic yet satisfying encounters that come in a large variety. In a single early stage, you'll fight a golem made of blocks you've been pushing around, a skeletal chicken, a vehicle with a devastating iron claw, and a giant pray mantis with a T-Rex roar, and that again is only in a single level.

And this all goes to an extremely awesome and rocking soundtrack that delivers something like a mixture of a Treasure and SEGA soundtrack from the 90s. Each stage has two different songs for the two different halves, and there are a number of boss and cinematic songs through the course of it as well.

ss_3461ae4da9f0518886164d949fa943ceaf499ebb.600x338.jpg

Honestly speaking, this is a very solid platformer. It has a good amount of optional content, from a training dojo stage in time attack to collectible trading cards you can find in stages and a variety of challenging achievements, to replayability with the three very different characters with unique stages to each of them. It is a lot of fun to play from start to finish, and backs itself with some great style, design, and a pretty good story. The end of the game is actually pretty challenging, even on normal difficulty, and this game may feature in my opinion some of the best bosses to ever grace a platformer.

If you like platformers, and can get over the fact the game features anthropomorphic animals, this game is excellent in its own right. Its not merely a clone of anything, it's a solid indie release and maybe one of the best indie platformers to come out in some time. If you liked SEGA's and Treasures platforming games of the 90s, you need to try this game out.

louiedog

Humble is having a weekend sale on Paradox games

Hugstable

Banned

Have you tried the tutorial yet? It usually does a pretty good job of explaining things and helps you get some decent practice matches in against the CPU. DOTA usually takes a bit to learn and get used to especially all the last hitting stuff. Will be fun with everyone because I still suck even with all the hours I have in the game haha.

I'm by no means an expert and I'm sure some who join will be more knowledgeable than me so if you have questions about anything, someone will be able to answer.

I want a friendly environment where complete newbies are welcome to play. It would just be a friendly game between gaffers.

Now I'm wondering what mode is most noob friendly. I want to say single draft because you're limited to only three heroes and they generally all have different roles.

I like the sound of Single Draft. Isn't as harsh as All Random and it gives them a chance to choose new heroes they want to learn. Plus it's my favorite mode for that very reason, since I usually like playing different heroes and trying out their playstyle.

_hekk05

Banned

I'm down with some dota 2 at 500ping. Since I usually know what I'm doing it seems like a good handicap I suppose. Or I could coach or something. Or cast :)

Ikr? For the first time in 2 weeks I head out to play board games and the giveaway happens

Teppic

Had these laying around.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Teppic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ DELUXE (Desura) -- MB-234CA2AF49C79154 - Taken by Eila
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-E54F6CC6B33DD2B8 - Taken by Hugstable
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-313F23E5DC547384
Montas -- MB-B2E3519065C8F014 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Peggle Deluxe, Bejeweled 3, Bookworm Deluxe, Escape Rosecliff Island, and Feeding Frenzy 2 Deluxe (Origin) -- MB-299C4E4E1768D934 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-0A5A6EA20F5F5E9C - Taken by shackdaddy836. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-44FCF2023EBC9356 - Taken by RedFyn. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-383E5E0873CF466C

t1406309481z1.png

Dr Dogg

I was also under the impression.
Perhaps another rule that's for lifetime giveaways. But I recall the issue was it could become a pretty selective list.

Ha! I've just had this whacky idea of tiered levels of games given way over a period of time leading to different levels of mega giver status for really, really special giveaways. So to give them all creative names just go straight for Champagne bottle sizes, ie:-

Standard = Normal everyday give-away. Anyone can enter.
Magnum = The Megagiver tier so 25 games over 3 months can enter.
Jeroboam = 50 games over 6 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Methuselah = 75 games over 9 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Salmanazar = 100 games over 12 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Nebuchadnezzar = 150 games over 24 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.

...and so on. Though that might encourage constant gifting (and bundle junk) it has the potential to be a massive pain in the arse.

So my full impressions of Freedom Planet.

Cheers for the impressions Dusk. I semi see what you mean in looking like Gunstar Heroes but for me I consider that a co-op sidescrolling shooter and this sounds more like a action platfromer from what you've written. One of those screenshots does looks incredible close to 16-bit Sonic though. might have a look in at some point but I've played so many platfromers recently I'm a bit burnt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom