• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Have you tried the tutorial yet? It usually does a pretty good job of explaining things and helps you get some decent practice matches in against the CPU. DOTA usually takes a bit to learn and get used to especially all the last hitting stuff. Will be fun with everyone because I still suck even with all the hours I have in the game haha.

the tutorial basically told me the controls which are easy but I have no idea how strategy works, what to buy, etc.. I know you are supposed to stay behind your mob and grind levels for a while.. the tutorial doesnt explain anything about wards or any of the other stuff like effective use of items, or crafting... I was totally lost and the tutorial didn't really help that much, I found.

Speevy

Banned
Crusader Kings 2 Collection, comes with all the DLC on the Humble website

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings 2 -- MB-7D930F129EDB0DB3 - Taken by fenners. 15 entrants total.

t1406319501z1.png

Indignate

Now I'm wondering what mode is most noob friendly. I want to say single draft because you're limited to only three heroes and they generally all have different roles.

ehhh. Would suck for someone to get 3 difficult heroes or something.

If we get people who really know what they're doing, one of the Captains Modes might be fun.

Aside from that, any mode will suffice since we would just be doing in-houses and not really have to worry much about laning and such.

Unless we want this to be a real learning experience?

Here you go, some old junk I got left in my inventory.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Swapper -- TUItNzcxMEM5Mjg5MDQ3RjMxNw== - Taken by DarkMehm. 1 entrants total.
Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- 4d422d46323046353744414645313533463442 - Taken by JustLynx. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack -- 9gUEg1GM0U5qtef2)[c[1Ia8 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 1 entrants total.
Spelunky -- JVBC2OBVIFCTONBUGBBDAMBZGJAUCQQ - Taken by Supaidaman. 3 entrants total.

t1406319261z1.png

FtHTiny

the tutorial basically told me the controls which are easy but I have no idea how strategy works, what to buy, etc.. I know you are supposed to stay behind your mob and grind levels for a while.. the tutorial doesnt explain anything about wards or any of the other stuff like effective use of items, or crafting... I was totally lost and the tutorial didn't really help that much, I found.

Getting into Dota 2 on your own is incredible hard. You would need to read up a lot and probably watch some videos as well. Having someone with you to give you advice during your start is incredible helpful.
I´m no real purge fan or something but i heard from some people that started with dota that this link helped them a lot.
http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.U9KSO0EbO2Y

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Maybe make two DOTA 2 games, one for people with no experience with the genre and one for people with some time played in either Dota or LoL.

Having even one person who knows what they're doing in a game full of new people would be a horrible experience if there wasn't another on the other team

Vlad

Nothing about the Firefly game in here?

The official website, www.keepflying.com, isn't loading (I assume it's getting hammered), but a quick search reveals that this is coming to Steam.

I was marginally enthused until I read the description of that clip:

Firefly Online (FFO) is a multi-user, social online role-playing game that will initially be available for smartphones and tablets, including those based on iOS and Android operating systems.

Not holding out high hopes for that, unfortunately.

Does anyone know if you have to complete the tutorial before you are able to join a private game for DOTA2? I know it prevents you from joining the queue if you haven't finished it.

It looks like private games are run on Valve's servers and not on my computer like CS:GO. We should be getting reasonable pings as long as we're not spread out too thin.

ehhh. Would suck for someone to get 3 difficult heroes or something.

If we get people who really know what they're doing, one of the Captains Modes might be fun.

Aside from that, any mode will suffice since we would just be doing in-houses and not really have to worry much about laning and such.

Unless we want this to be a real learning experience?

I know there are a few people here in steamgaf that don't play DOTA2 but want to try it. It will probably be a mix of complete noobs with regular players.

Indignate

Maybe make two DOTA 2 games, one for people with no experience with the genre and one for people with some time played in either Dota or LoL.

Having even one person who knows what they're doing in a game full of new people would be a horrible experience if there wasn't another on the other team

I was thinking having one or two people with exp per team would help so that they can give tips to the other newer players.

Would enjoy that better than just segregating everyone.

Jawmuncher

Ha! I've just had this whacky idea of tiered levels of games given way over a period of time leading to different levels of mega giver status for really, really special giveaways. So to give them all creative names just go straight for Champagne bottle sizes, ie:-

Standard = Normal everyday give-away. Anyone can enter.
Magnum = The Megagiver tier so 25 games over 3 months can enter.
Jeroboam = 50 games over 6 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Methuselah = 75 games over 9 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Salmanazar = 100 games over 12 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.
Nebuchadnezzar = 150 games over 24 months with 25 in the last 3 can enter.

...and so on. Though that might encourage constant gifting (and bundle junk) it has the potential to be a massive pain in the arse.

Would be an interesting way to do it .
Wonder if its something stump has thought about.

But actually my fear is somewhat changed.

I remember 10 years ago, playing WOW, I just couldn't even approach spider-infested areas. Like, I actually asked my guildmates to go clear them out for me to cross them (one of the perks of being a guild master I guess :D ).
At the same time, IRL if I had like a hunch of a spider in my room, I was out asking like my mother to clear the room for me to go back in to ask my guildmates to clear virtual rooms for me. :D

After a little bit tho, those spiders weren't that scary anymore.
And neither tiny city spiders (proper cities, not JaseC cities), which I still cannot kill, but I manage to live knowing they're there somewhere, hopefully very far from my desk.

But, as I overcame fear for a couple of types of spiders, every time I see a new (real or not) type, i'm back to square one all over again. :(

Well as I said its better than nothing though.
Some people stay at that first stage forever.

Ozium

does DOTA 2 have a coaching mechanism like TF2 does?

Jawmuncher

You know we need to play a SteamGAF game where we can backstab each other and just be jerks.

Were playing far too much games where we are trying to help each other get better and the like.

Stuff like Trouble in Terrorist Town, Kane and Lynch MP off the top of my head offer that sort of expierence.

Oh almost forgot THE THING gametype I'm starcraft 2

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Madridy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-168D60CE33B5D3C4 - Taken by Zeeman. 49 entrants total.
Hitman: Absolution -- MB-FF638B5C763CDAB1 - Taken by bloke. 31 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-449241889A183C97 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 30 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-75F6BBAD20F62AD3 - Taken by VikasNarula. 17 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-37AC89BB4726AD1D - Taken by tioslash. 14 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-6068BC7EC235AE71 - Taken by kadab. 2 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever: Doctor Who Cloned Me -- MB-4615CA473F640F3C - Taken by Driw3r. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-3A896277871E6A1A - Taken by Kiru. 14 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-B97F160D7D26D992 - Taken by Kanhir. 1 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-085771C5CA432516
Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons -- MB-1159FB4C01F183D0 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-96FC74AE11054476 - Taken by darkchewie. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-FCCB90476A40B7FC - Taken by TheLight. 9 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut -- MB-44CAFEE6EAA0EA70 - Taken by cardinalmind. 43 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-6D969EA29E5AAD42 - Taken by Krusenstern. 16 entrants total.

t1406312982z1.png

Nabs

You know we need to play a SteamGAF game where we can backstab each other and just be jerks.

Were playing far too much games where we are trying to help each other get better and the like.

Stuff like Trouble in Terrorist Town, Kane and Lynch MP off the top of my head offer that sort of expierence.

Hidden:Source, of course.

iosefe

so, witcher 2 is atteractive and smooth. but i'm am afraid to turn Ubersampling on

SpeedRunners

Garry's Mod Murder is nothing but stabbing.

Speevy

Banned
I love how the Humble site just cropped the cover of Crusader Kings 2 three different ways to distinguish between the packages.

Hugstable

Banned
Had a conversation with the developer of Shadowblade making him aware of my issues... a new patch has fixed a lot of problems (though full controller support isn't working for me yet).

I took some new footage of me screwing around learning things in the first 5 levels or so.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/t0xs..._07.25.2014_-_12.49.42.116.mp4.converted.webm

Definitely better than Strider... and it's only in alpha. :3

The footage is just black. I really wanna see what this game is now! The new Strider really disappointed me :(

Dr Dogg

I quite liked the Fragile Alliance MP in Kane & Lynch. Did have the element of risk verses reward as to when and if you'd turn rouge. Saying that there's this little game I saw on Greenlight the tother day that might fir the bill.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=272438462

Thief Town is a multiplayer-only stealth action game set in a pixel-perfect rendition of the Wild West. Lurk in the crowd, emulate non-player characters, and achieve backstabbing victory.

Up to 4 players control identical avatars (the “Thieves”) in a single-screen arena (the “Town”), which is filled with other identical NPCs. Players must identify which NPCs are secretly other players and stab them for points, before being discovered and stabbed themselves!

Anteater

How does that game hold up? I've had it in my backlog for a long time.

All 3 crystal dynamics TR games are still pretty good, underworld is kind of more clunky than the previous games even though it's the newest one, but the visuals are more modern, all 3 games still play really well and they aren't really that old.

I think anniversary is the best game out of the 3 (legend, anniversary and underworld)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Spelunky = GOAT ≠ OLD JUNK, DunderHassan !!! >:-|

so Shadowrun: Dragonfall is being spun off into its own game.

If only they would add controller support. theres no reason a turn-based stragey game can't have controller support, dammit. We live in a post-Xcom Enemy Unknown world, it should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom