• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Newer game

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition -- MB-33EE6F9BAC16D470 - Taken by 28 Posts Later. 15 entrants total.

t1406321061z1.png

Hmmm, according to you, I wasn't even the worst -- imagine how much better I'd be if I was comfortable with the controls... :p
I've never been on a L4D2 server where gamepads were disallowed... if I'd known that, I probably would've given my spot to dot or something.
Uhhhh, yeah there was indeed a worse player
lol me
Nah, just joking with you. It was fun playing with you.
Here you go, some old junk I got left in my inventory.
Swapper, nice. But what up with the codes?

Ozium

You know we need to play a SteamGAF game where we can backstab each other and just be jerks.

Were playing far too much games where we are trying to help each other get better and the like.

Stuff like Trouble in Terrorist Town, Kane and Lynch MP off the top of my head offer that sort of expierence.

Oh almost forgot THE THING gametype I'm starcraft 2

THE SHIP

so Shadowrun: Dragonfall is being spun off into its own game.

If only they would add controller support. theres no reason a turn-based stragey game can't have controller support, dammit. We live in a post-Xcom Enemy Unknown world, it should be there.

Source? Did they say anything about current owners?

Dr Dogg

If anyone cares and wants to see what this game is all about:

Morningbus as an invisible dickface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhkstjjzTo

My turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2y-tZ-tro4

Basically, you play as a slightly invisible hunter jerk, and your job is to troll the other team. I feel like someone at TurtleRock must be a big fan of this mod.

Hahaha sweet. Yeah I can see it's much more than a bit like Evolved. It also reminds me of one of Dark Sector's muliplayer modes.

Dark Sector has an online multiplayer mode, where there are only two modes of gameplay:

Infection: one player is randomly selected to be Hayden in a deathmatch against many soldier characters.
Epidemic: two Haydens on separate teams, the objective being to kill the opposing team's Hayden first.
In both modes, Hayden will have superior powers compared to the soldiers. Hayden will be able to become invisible, use the Glaive, etc., whereas the soldiers cannot.

So you know we should all install Dark Sector now right?

maty

The modbot rule needs to indicate its 25 in 3 months. Guarantee a good amount don't realize that and think its a lifetime total.

Didn't know until yesterday that it had to be 25 in the last 3 months. Is there a way to know if you are eligible o not?

Anyway, still available.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bornlivedie:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bornlivedie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Aerena -- MB-2786077F50DAEF5C
Pid -- MB-0A4CDCEDAD942C81 - Taken by Kanhir
Savant: Ascent -- MB-E40CAF21F8767038 - Taken by Catshade
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-D38A22EB6A2E22B0 - Taken by danhese007

wait. i'm confused. i sent in to register a game with modbot, and then i get the quote to post, but i forgot about it and didn't post it. and netx thing i knew, someone had already claimed it.

does this mean that modbot automatically posts after a while? or wha'ts up?

Jawmuncher

Hidden:Source, of course.

SpeedRunners

Garry's Mod Murder is nothing but stabbing.

I quite liked the Fragile Alliance MP in Kane & Lynch. Did have the element of risk verses reward as to when and if you'd turn rouge. Saying that there's this little game I saw on Greenlight the tother day that might fir the bill.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=272438462

I'll keep all of these in mind. This sort of game night I think would be a lot of fun once in awhile. Also that greenlight game does look decent enough. So odd more games never tried to expand on the K&L ideas.
One of my biggest disappointments with payday 2 since it would have been perfect for that kind of thing.

GAF Game Night

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
header_292x136.jpg

Time to show your karting skills on the road!

- Winner gets a random game from me, but that's if you beat me!
- Previous winners KenOD and Ruruja are free to enter but will not win a game, the free game goes to 3rd place in that case.
- We will play a random world @ 4 tracks.
- Using the slot machine at start is not allowed.

Race will begin:
t1406316600z0.png

#1: DunderHassan
#2: Schnitzelfee
#3: Corrosivefrost
#4: Divius
#5: Gravelord_Nito
#6: Supaidaman
#7: Htown
#8: Enco
#9: BruteUA
#10: Sharkiller

Reserves:

#1: KenOD
#2: Ruruja
#3: Indignate

You know we need to play a SteamGAF game where we can backstab each other and just be jerks.
Were playing far too much games where we are trying to help each other get better and the like.
Stuff like Trouble in Terrorist Town, Kane and Lynch MP off the top of my head offer that sort of expierence.
Oh almost forgot THE THING gametype I'm starcraft 2
Voting for The Ship, Prop Hunt, Trouble in Terrorist Town, Murder

I am not into moba, so dota shall loose.

redlacs

in last 2 weeks i played couple of new games (most of them thanks to you fellow generous GAFers, so really really thanks again to all of you for sharing and your generosity!)

this is the list of games i played and finished: Bad Bots, Bardbarian, Deadly 30, Grimind, Starlite Academy G-Ball, Circuits, Sequence, Stacking

now, i am aware of my poor reviewing skills so i will try not to bore you much with it nor with my broken english, but i enjoyed three of them from start to finish so much i really felt i should recommend those to everyone who maybe already has those in his library and hasnt touched it yet. i should also clear that i'm not saying the rest are bad games but i do have obsession of unlocking every single achievement in games and with that in mind some game just become sooner or later unfun or even pain, even though they might be good in the core. in short - i had most fun with these:

third best - Grimind

to be honest i didnt even have this platformer on my wishlist because it looked somewhat ugl...hmm lets say.. less appealing than Trine for example. big mistake. this gloomy horrorish atmosphere fits for it perfectly and when the main character said he was afraid for his life, i felt scared too, no matter how pixelated the monsters were. it has fifteen 10-15 minute long levels with checkpoints and only few mildly difficult puzzles. dont get its looks stand in your way. play it at night and chances are you will like it too!

second best - Sequence

this was a very pleasant surprise for me, especially because i was complete rhytm game virgin. never played rocksmith, guitar hero or what have you.. (i think i lack the skill) but im glad i gave this a try. i chose second of four difficulty settings and yet the end of the game felt quite challenging and beating it was quite satisfactory. 7 tiers, each with 3 enemies. each can drop different ingredients with which you "cook" items. yea, its a bit RPG too! but bare with me - it may look nuts and even sound a bit grindy because you may need to beat each enemy 2-4 times before it drops what you need, but here comes the good part - it didnt feel like grind at all. dat music! i really expected i was going to tear my ears off when it gets harder and i would automatically start hate the songs, but i never did. not a single one! really great soundtrack in a fun original rhytm-rpg-stuff game. and it has story, too! :) try it, worst thing that can happpen is that you will chill out for a while with some relaxing music during those easy levels. took me 12 hours to get through the game and i dont regret a single one!

and most fun i had with Stacking

i cant advertise this enough. maybe you havent played it because it looked childish to you. maybe 3d puzzlers arent your thing.. whatever the excuse, just give it 10 minutes. it - is - fun. i absolutely love the russian stacking dolls idea made into a game, and well polished game i must add. biggest plus is definitely the fact that each puzzle has up to 6 different solutions, brilliant! the story is good and you can be done with it in 5 hours maybe. it took me almost four times as long because i was looking for every single unique doll for the collection and trying to figure out every single solution to those puzzles. what a one of a kind delight this game was!

Nabs

I saw SeaNanners play that. It looked like fun
for the hidden

I think playing as the humans can be a lot of fun with the right group. It's also terrifying.

Hahaha sweet. Yeah I can see it's much more than a bit like Evolved. It also reminds me of one of Dark Sector's muliplayer modes.

So you know we should all install Dark Sector now right?

The Hidden also reminds me a lot of the Hunter from L4D1. Before they made him useless.

i want to do this

I'll have to see if I can get vertopci to set up a server with custom maps. This could be fun.

Hooray for backlogs and +1s.

Didn't know until yesterday that it had to be 25 in the last 3 months. Is there a way to know if you are eligible o not?

Anyway, still available.

use the my loot command with modbot.
do not use my full loot.

At the end of the summary, you will see something like this:
You have given away xxx games. (yyy eligible for 'givers only' rules.)

If there are 25 or more "eligible", you're a megagiver.

Hugstable

Banned
Aw man, I would join but I think I'm the only one without the game lol

lol no I don't have it either. I do own it on my Wii U though. I don't really worry about playing too many racing games on Steam, but that GTR EVO that was given out for the other day in the PC Gamer giveaway looks pretty cool.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
GAF Game Night

header_292x136.jpg

- Previous winners KenOD and Ruruja are free to enter but will not win a game, the free game goes to 3rd place in that case.

Race will begin:
t1406314800z0.png

I'll race if you don't get enough people and need to fill a spot. I'm sure your dastardly strategy of making me go slower with Euro Truck simulator has worked :)

wilflare

no one wants this?

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wilflare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-57683292B1A8662B - Taken by Emperor_EL. 7 entrants total.

t1406267810z1.png

GAF Game Night

header_292x136.jpg

Race will begin:
t1406314800z0.png

#1: DunderHassan
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:
#7:
#8:
#9:
#10:

Reserves:

#1:
#2:
#3:

I'll play... hopefully it goes better than my last attempt at the game.

Hey, freshVeggies, do I have to use kb/m for this one too? :3

Hugstable

Banned
So my full impressions of Freedom Planet.

header_292x136.jpg

Freedom Planet is a 2D action-platformer that borrows a lot from 16-bit SEGA, Treasure, and Capcom games, but manages to feel fresh and unique through clever design, a folded-in story experience, and obviously a lot of thought put into the game's excellent design.

Freedom Planet tells the story of a group of previously rogue animals, Sash Lilac and Carol Tea, who find themselves involved as one of the few with the knowledge that their home planet being invaded by an alien overlord, Arktivus Brevon, and his army, who are after a stone of great power that rests on their planet, the Kingdom Stone. Getting involved with two other animals, Milla Basset and Torque, the four of them team-up to try and save the world.

The voice acting of the game takes a bit to get used to at first, but in the end the actors did good on delivering on their roles, and what I pretty much expected to be a pretty lackluster tale tacked onto the game actually provided characters I did end up caring about, developed through the course of the game, and even got pretty emotionally touching, dark, but with the right amount of humor thrown in to keep it entertaining. However, if you don't care at all about the story, when starting a game you can choose to play 'Classic Mode', which lets you play through all the stages with no story whatsoever.

Freedom Planet features three playable characters, Lilac, Carol, and Milla, all of who control and play completely differently. Lilac is the most straight-forward character, with a focus on speed and acrobatic ability. She can dash madly through stages and will be a favorite of those who have an inner speed demon. She does a variety of beat-em up style combos with slices and kicks for enemies, and uses a charge meter for a variety of her swirl and dash attacks. Carol is slower than Lilac by default, but when she collects gas from stages, she gets the ability to ride a motorbike, which she can use to do a number of spin attacks, wheelies, drive up walls, and a lot more. However, even when off her bike, she can be tactiful, with a dagger with longer reach and damage than Lilac's attacks, a jump dash, wall jump, and can use certain devices in stages Lilac can't. Milla is the slowest of the crew, and needs to be played the most tactfully. She can't attack enemies directly easily, but is very good on the defense. She can fly using her ears, summon a green cube at any time which she can throw, use to collect and pick-up nearby objects like bombs, or generate a barrier shield with she can use to defend from attacks. And when she breaks her shield, it forms a laser that delivers high damage to enemies.

All three characters go through mostly the same stages, but there are a few stages that are exclusive to each character and some stages that two characters may visit while the other will go to their own unique stage. It's very interesting to see how all three tackle the same stages very differently, however.

ss_48a1c057a34592690f3d5fa47f8daa80138a4993.600x338.jpg

Most may expect the game on first glance to be a Sonic-clone, the game started development as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and has been in development for about three years. However, while playing what I was most reminded of was games by Treasure, such as Gunstar Heroes. The Sonic influence is definitely there, but this game forms itself as a beast all its own through its own unique level design, bigger focus on combat and stage gimmicks, and constantly escalating gameplay.

The level design is absolutely ace and really impressed me. The stages are unique, fun, and challenging, while both building up difficulty slowly but surely while also introducing a number of new situations and mechanics. Most stages feature completely different enemies and stage gimmicks, but manage to really use them in ways you get familiar with them quickly and then go all-out, which feels natural and progressive despite each stage having a high number of unique gimmicks. You'll do everything from climbing from spike traps, riding disco-ball Ferris Wheels, avoiding drills and kicking them into walls to bypass them, jumping between missiles to get from airship to airship, swimming alongside and avoiding missiles from a submerged submarine, and a lot, lot more. Stages are usually actually fairly meaty, being of pretty decent length and with many multiple paths to take through almost all of them.

Several times through most stages you'll fight a number of bosses, usually 2-5 before the stage is up. And they deserve particular mention, as the boss fights are challenging, fun, creative, and feature both strategic yet satisfying encounters that come in a large variety. In a single early stage, you'll fight a golem made of blocks you've been pushing around, a skeletal chicken, a vehicle with a devastating iron claw, and a giant pray mantis with a T-Rex roar, and that again is only in a single level.

And this all goes to an extremely awesome and rocking soundtrack that delivers something like a mixture of a Treasure and SEGA soundtrack from the 90s. Each stage has two different songs for the two different halves, and there are a number of boss and cinematic songs through the course of it as well.

ss_3461ae4da9f0518886164d949fa943ceaf499ebb.600x338.jpg

Honestly speaking, this is a very solid platformer. It has a good amount of optional content, from a training dojo stage in time attack to collectible trading cards you can find in stages and a variety of challenging achievements, to replayability with the three very different characters with unique stages to each of them. It is a lot of fun to play from start to finish, and backs itself with some great style, design, and a pretty good story. The end of the game is actually pretty challenging, even on normal difficulty, and this game may feature in my opinion some of the best bosses to ever grace a platformer.

If you like platformers, and can get over the fact the game features anthropomorphic animals, this game is excellent in its own right. Its not merely a clone of anything, it's a solid indie release and maybe one of the best indie platformers to come out in some time. If you liked SEGA's and Treasures platforming games of the 90s, you need to try this game out.

Thanks so much for your full impression on this. Pretty much convinced me to get the game for sure after I pick up TiTS later on this week. Just the fact that I love Treausre games and enjoyed the older Sonic games so much I know i'm gonna get a great nostaglic experience out of this. Awesome of you to do the stream the other day also, gave me a nice look at the gameplay. It has to wait til after TiTS though since that takes priority after that surprise announcement this week. Is this game only on PC/Steam?

Toki767

I think I'm 2/3 of the way through Strider and it still feels so...unexciting. Techncially the game is fine and I don't really see anything particularly wrong with the gameplay. It just doesn't feel all that interesting. The boss fights are the only real highlight and even they haven't been all that special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom