• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm so should I chose (League) better for newbs or DOTA (more polished)

I definitely would recommend Dota 2 over LoL if you are planning on getting into one. The pay structure in League is horrible and the balancing seems to be worse as well. It definitely is more newb friendly though. Both are a lot of fun, especially with friends. Fair warning, it literally takes hundreds of matches to have a decent understanding of either game.

Chariot

Hmm so should I chose (League) better for newbs or DOTA (more polished)
Try them out and stop asking. You're summoning a bloodbath if you push it much further.

Pretty much haha. If you go into DOTA they have a tutorial mode there that teaches you the basics but still there will be stuff you need to learn. I've never played LoL so I don't really know how everything works there. If you play to play a MOBA though, be prepared since it takes awhile to learn and get decent at.
LoL is lacking kill denies e.g. and I think its faster in all regards. Also I like how skills scale with stats opposed to the flat numbers in dota.

Man if that race was 30 mins later I would totally be in :(

Now you're in :)

Good people of GAF, moved the competition 30 mins later!

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
header_292x136.jpg

Race will begin:
t1406316600z0.png

Sharkiller

GAF Game Night

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
header_292x136.jpg

Time to show your karting skills on the road!

- Winner gets a random game from me, but that's if you beat me!
- Previous winners KenOD and Ruruja are free to enter but will not win a game, the free game goes to 3rd place in that case.
- We will play a random world @ 4 tracks.
- Using the slot machine at start is not allowed.

Race will begin:
t1406316600z0.png

#1: DunderHassan
#2: Schnitzelfee
#3: Corrosivefrost
#4: Divius
#5: Gravelord_Nito
#6: Supaidaman
#7: Htown
#8: Enco
#9:
#10:

Reserves:

#1: KenOD
#2: Ruruja
#3:

add me if there is space

Are the Sword in the Stars games (on sale at Humble for dirt cheap) just +1s or are they actually decent games? Someone tagged the original on steam as MMO, so I can't even tell what's going on.

Tizoc

Maybe I should try and get into Moba. What is better? League of Legends or DOTA 2?

I prefer LoL personally, the character designs in i are really good. Dota2 I hear is more technical and has better depth than LoL.

As others said try them out and see which one you end up liking bu it WILL take a while til you actually get into the meat of things.

Madridy

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-168D60CE33B5D3C4 - Taken by Zeeman. 49 entrants total.
Hitman: Absolution -- MB-FF638B5C763CDAB1 - Taken by bloke. 31 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-449241889A183C97 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 30 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-75F6BBAD20F62AD3 - Taken by VikasNarula. 17 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-37AC89BB4726AD1D - Taken by tioslash. 14 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-6068BC7EC235AE71 - Taken by kadab. 2 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever: Doctor Who Cloned Me -- MB-4615CA473F640F3C - Taken by Driw3r. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-3A896277871E6A1A - Taken by Kiru. 14 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-B97F160D7D26D992 - Taken by Kanhir. 1 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-085771C5CA432516
Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons -- MB-1159FB4C01F183D0 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-96FC74AE11054476 - Taken by darkchewie. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-FCCB90476A40B7FC - Taken by TheLight. 9 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut -- MB-44CAFEE6EAA0EA70 - Taken by cardinalmind. 43 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-6D969EA29E5AAD42 - Taken by Krusenstern. 16 entrants total.

t1406312982z1.png

last couple mins!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
279898769611292672_35s_i.jpg

Something for those on the edge for Freedom Planet...

Cheers for the impressions Dusk. I semi see what you mean in looking like Gunstar Heroes but for me I consider that a co-op sidescrolling shooter and this sounds more like a action platfromer from what you've written. One of those screenshots does looks incredible close to 16-bit Sonic though. might have a look in at some point but I've played so many platfromers recently I'm a bit burnt out.

Freedom Planet gameplay spoiler warning, but I think this game convinces a lot more in motion than it does otherwise, so here's literally six minutes of random clips I took from playing yesterday. My mic volumes were a bit off, but I hope this helps make the point of why I compare it to Treasure games a bit and the quality of the game. These are literally just random clips I put together I should mention.

And of course the video is 30fps, when the game is 60fps. Makes a difference in games like this.

Madridy

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madridy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-168D60CE33B5D3C4 - Taken by Zeeman. 49 entrants total.
Hitman: Absolution -- MB-FF638B5C763CDAB1 - Taken by bloke. 31 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-449241889A183C97 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 30 entrants total.
BioShock 2 -- MB-75F6BBAD20F62AD3 - Taken by VikasNarula. 17 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-37AC89BB4726AD1D - Taken by tioslash. 14 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-6068BC7EC235AE71 - Taken by kadab. 2 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever: Doctor Who Cloned Me -- MB-4615CA473F640F3C - Taken by Driw3r. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-3A896277871E6A1A - Taken by Kiru. 14 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-B97F160D7D26D992 - Taken by Kanhir. 1 entrants total.
BioShock -- MB-085771C5CA432516
Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the Icons -- MB-1159FB4C01F183D0 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-96FC74AE11054476 - Taken by darkchewie. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-FCCB90476A40B7FC - Taken by TheLight. 9 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut -- MB-44CAFEE6EAA0EA70 - Taken by cardinalmind. 43 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-6D969EA29E5AAD42 - Taken by Krusenstern. 16 entrants total.

t1406312982z1.png

for the new page

Ozium

Are the Sword in the Stars games (on sale at Humble for dirt cheap) just +1s or are they actually decent games? Someone tagged the original on steam as MMO, so I can't even tell what's going on.

I've only played Sword in the Stars: The Pit and it's a really good roguelike.

Dr Dogg

i've wanted this too.

I know the game is super janky and the MP has some wierd quirks, espeically seeing as it's p2p and doesn't use anything like GFWL or Steamworks. But it's been super cheap in the past on some bundle sites.

y u only ever pick games I don't have

When is GAF Risk of Rain or Magic night?

I grabbed Risk of Rain way back when on a Humble deal and after a brief 20 min playaround I don't have a bloody clue what the goal is. Seem like it would be waaaay better an experience in co-op. I did read some impression in here from Stump and a few others and it sounded tedious but I've heard others say they are hooked so I don't know what to think.

TITS. The one time a game night is at a reasonable time for us U of K folk, and I haven't got the game installed, and have such shitty bandwidth that it won't even download any where near in time...

sigh.. next time. next time. Have fun!

Thankfully my plan of having a gazillion hard drives with countless Steam backups has proven to be a wise choice. Especially considering I switched to Plusnet last year and they have been bloody awful on line speeds ever since the second month. Of course it brings it's own challenges in not know what is on what drive.

cluQylA.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1406334600z4.png

Information said:
What is this?:
NeoGAF Games Night is a designated time where gaffers can play games together. This is a casual enviornment, players from all skill levels are welcome! Join the NeoGAF Games Night group to receive a notification through steam when an event has been scheduled and when it starts. PM anyone in the group for an invite.

What we are playing:
We will be playing All Pick in a private lobby. This is a newbie friendly game, anyone is free to join.

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and in the main menu of DOTA2 look under the Play tab->Find a Lobby->Friend Lobbies.

Players (Currently full but feel free to put your name down for reserves as we may be playing more than one game)
  1. phoenix296
  2. Shadownet
  3. SteveWinwood
  4. Reckoner
  5. InvisibleStride
  6. Uzzy
  7. MMBosstones86
  8. Indignate
  9. Hugstable
  10. Easton Dark

Reserves/Casters/Coaches
  1. _hekk05
  2. dave is ok
  3. iosefe
  4. 73V3N
  5. rookiejet
  6. *
  7. *
  8. *
  9. *

If anyone has the streaming capability who wants to cast that would be awesome. Come join us and have fun!

Enco

Guys.

I just thought of the perfect game night game.

Trouble in Terrorist Town (GMod).

Really fun. Really intense. Can fit loads of people. Lots of stealth.

One of the best games I've ever played online.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
How'd you do yesterday? I did horrible in my first game last night. Last game we played was nuts though, a huge comeback was almost pulled off. That Dust 2 match last night where the other team never went B though... hahahah

That team was hot garbage, there is no way they were taking that seriously. 16-2 I think was the score.

Ozium

Guys.

I just thought of the perfect game night game.

Trouble in Terrorist Town (GMod).

Really fun. Really intense. Can fit loads of people. Lots of stealth.

One of the best games I've ever played online.

I have GMod but I didn't know you needed CS:Source for most of the online modes

:(

Dr Dogg

Cheers for the vid. I really wish YouTube would roll out there 60fps video a bit quicker but Gamersyde (ie Blimblim's site) have been allowing users to upload short footage to help ease the wait.

It really does look like all the 90's mascot style platformers rolled into one. Boss battles look really hectic in a good way.

That was a bloody pain to try and see what they were
caught Shogun 2 and Grid as well as some others I haven't heard of
. Good that Aspyr have some healthy competition though in bringing stuff over.

cluQylA.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1406334600z4.png

Aw I wanted to get in too. Looks like you'll be full.

I grabbed Risk of Rain way back when on a Humble deal and after a brief 20 min playaround I don't have a bloody clue what the goal is. Seem like it would be waaaay better an experience in co-op. I did read some impression in here from Stump and a few others and it sounded tedious but I've heard others say they are hooked so I don't know what to think.

Definitely top game 2013 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom