• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was gonna be something Bad Rats related considering he won Bad Rats haha.

I tried to find a decent one but none of the concept art makes for very good avatars so I thought I'd go for something more kawaii~. Indignate is using it for all its worth it seems.

Vlad

Wow, so Speedrunners is rather impressive so far. Played a few matches online, and while I didn't win any, I can see this taking up a fair amount of my time.

I like how things which would normally annoy me, like not being able to see that far in front of you when you're in the lead, end up working towards the game's balance. Anybody can get into the lead, but you've got to really know the level to keep it.

Couple things that are bugging me, though:

1. Is there any way to counter the grappling hook item? All of the other items seem to be semi-avoidable or at least not super crippling, but the grappling hook almost seems like an insta-win in the right situation. I won several rounds by waiting for a flat stretch with boosts, then grappling the guy in front of me while boosting. I zip forward, he shoots back, I win.

2. The game doesn't seem to always stick with the person in the lead too well. Several times I got ahead of the pack and instead of the view sticking to me and knocking the person in back out, I ended up off the screen for a second or two, completely blind and allowing everybody else to catch up. I'm assuming this isn't intentional?

I just finished a 2 hour session of SpeedRunners. Damn it's addictive. I wasn't a fan of the controls at first, but once I got the hang of it I was hooked. Had a few glitches, such as people jumping through walls, but it's early access, so I'm sure that'll be fixed by release. So much fun.

how do you not suck ass in Rogue Legacy? Bioshock kept crashing on me so I used the steam roulette and got this. Played for a few hours and man I think I made it to the 23th generation

dot

Wow, so Speedrunners is rather impressive so far. Played a few matches online, and while I didn't win any, I can see this taking up a fair amount of my time.

I like how things which would normally annoy me, like not being able to see that far in front of you when you're in the lead, end up working towards the game's balance. Anybody can get into the lead, but you've got to really know the level to keep it.

Couple things that are bugging me, though:

1. Is there any way to counter the grappling hook item? All of the other items seem to be semi-avoidable or at least not super crippling, but the grappling hook almost seems like an insta-win in the right situation. I won several rounds by waiting for a flat stretch with boosts, then grappling the guy in front of me while boosting. I zip forward, he shoots back, I win.

2. The game doesn't seem to always stick with the person in the lead too well. Several times I got ahead of the pack and instead of the view sticking to me and knocking the person in back out, I ended up off the screen for a second or two, completely blind and allowing everybody else to catch up. I'm assuming this isn't intentional?

1. Dodge with the down button.

2. i dunno

Morning guys, reposting my giveaway.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Black The Fall -- MB-963B6FA960A0270C - Taken by adaen. 31 entrants total.
Halfway -- MB-B718DBE2E8BB5CE1 - Taken by Uzzy. 60 entrants total.

t1406384779z1.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*drumroll* Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the SteamGAF Games Night Saturday Night Showdown.

nKzeUFw.png
How is scrubitude determined? I haven't played SF4 for like 2 years but I have played fighting games for 2 decades.

Deitus

how do you not suck ass in Rogue Legacy? Bioshock kept crashing on me so I used the steam roulette and got this. Played for a few hours and man I think I made it to the 23th generation

Are you struggling with bosses, or just in general? I would recommend focusing on earning money and collecting blueprints/runes early on rather than clearing out bosses. Once you have leveled up a bunch, the bosses are much less difficult.

If it's general trouble, a lot of it is just leveling up and practice. Runes can make a big difference, as the ability to dash and double jump helps immensely for difficult platforming segments, and for dodging enemies. Healing and mana runes are also really good for survivability early on when your HP and MP pools are low. Equipment that you can make from blueprints tends to be a much more cost effective way to increase your stats than leveling up, but you are fairly limited in equipment options early on. Try out different combinations of classes and spells early on to get a feel for what works for you. Also, don't forget to upgrade the classes when you get a chance, because some of the class abilities are game changers.

That's all I can think of for now. At least without knowing what is giving you trouble.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

BELIEVE THE HYPE!!! :)

no, but seriously - now I REALLY want to play it!! This actually seems like it might be a pretty cool story :D

Card Boy

Banned
I have actually got Deus Ex: Invisible War looking good.

iyHHjAcK8ngq2.bmp

Widescreen mod
Custom 1080P resolution
FOV fix
John P Texture Pack
x16 AF
GPU AA instead of the crap stuff in game.

Hugstable

Banned
I have actually got Deus Ex: Invisible War looking good.

iyHHjAcK8ngq2.bmp

Widescreen mod
Custom 1080P resolution
FOV fix
John P Texture Pack
x16 AF
GPU AA instead of the crap stuff in game.

Do you have a guide or anything to show me how I can mod it to look like that. On that note does anyone know what the mods were for the original Deus Ex to get it looking good and running on DirectX? I used it for my playthrough like 3 years ago but since I got a new computer I forgot what it was called.

tylerf

Oops missed buying a few speedrunners copies while it was on sale. Steam has me used to sales ending during the day.

Card Boy

Banned
Would you mind posting a guide with some links?

Do you have a guide or anything to show me how I can mod it to look like that. On that note does anyone know what the mods were for the original Deus Ex to get it looking good and running on DirectX? I used it for my playthrough like 3 years ago but since I got a new computer I forgot what it was called.

Heres a guide on the Steam forums. If you can't find the texture pack in that link use the Moddb link.

AF and AA where just done through my graphics card. The John P texture pack basically installs all the textures for you and is similar to Morrowind Overhaul and is one .exe file and has a wizard. I would recommend unticking the bionic eyes texture option. FOV, widescreen and resolution are basically .ini file edits.

John P also has a mod for one of the old Thief games.

In case your looking for a easy way of changing FOV+Widescreen use this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j0d7a9uoelux3d5

dewu22.png

As you can see you just point to where your Deus Ex or Invisible War directory is and you can set a custom resolution and FOV. It basically edits the .ini files. It brings up an option for the HUD scale aswell (not pictured).

iosefe

Ah, does that make it a guaranteed miss, or is it just a matter of doing it at the right moment and having the hook go over your head?

My question was more if it was intended behavior or not.
Best to anticipate and be dodged. The moment you see it/hear the sound

Well, I can assume the game calculates progress in a weird way. If someone enters a shortcut they are basically in the lead and are thus the focus. The large verticalbsection in Library could use some death box refining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom