• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scipius

No. Not with all these smurfs and cheaters. Though I'm not even sure if the price is a huge barrier for those people, but totally opening the floodgates might not be wise.

Indeed. I thought the fact that the sales discount during the summer sale being less than what it had been previously was a telltale sign. TF2 went on sale for ridiculous discounts before going F2P.

10 Left

Galcon Legends -- MB-6241130980637245
Draw a Stickman -- MB-5589364FE5B4BD04
Daikatana -- MB-000702F2D3F569AF - Taken by Rhaknar. 1 entrants total.
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming -- MB-20EC22D4884AE011 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-1FC5A1FC1B73C103
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-81E90ACCD99F1B17 - Taken by grindamasta. 3 entrants total.
Hitman -- MB-FC9F68ADE37C47B9 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 3 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-09B2521B0BD70CB6 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Finding Teddy -- MB-AB4CBCCB933C2A47 - Taken by FauX. 2 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-EA2F6D847A0A3884

Still have a whole bunch of keys left, free for all to take.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

FLY'N -- MB-DBA29505A706276B - Taken by Aitor
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Bundle #2 (Desura) #2 -- MB-B69399DE1B4F194E - Taken by ketditch
//N.P.P.D. RUSH// The milk of Ultraviolet -- MB-11D89B327BF60E35
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-5BB7D090F5AC6A23 - Taken by Demon Lizardman
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Bundle #2 (Desura) -- MB-2FFA629655C70375 - Taken by Twin Tails
Offspring Fling -- MB-EA9731364E8202FE - Taken by lukiluk
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle (Desura) -- MB-E068AA9D5740F635 - Taken by Mikurden
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozenbyte Bundle (Desura) -- MB-8782A7C91C8BFE37 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-565E30D47FA6B617
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-004F786E7F5EBD74
Lume -- MB-52EE4AC578161F17 - Taken by Dusk Golem
ARMA Cold War Assault -- MB-FCDD93E3091CC180
Tobe's Vertical Adventure -- MB-808456FE9AFFC7B0
Dungeonland -- MB-2F48C227BDDC6B99
Journey of A Roach -- MB-F7F87F889CEE76BB - Taken by grindamasta
Cortex Command -- MB-ABD2CCD13AD13F07 - Taken by freshVeggie
Intrusion 2 -- MB-68C82BFD0884BA01 - Taken by deadflower81
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Bundle #3 (Desura) -- MB-551246FADEF69C79 - Taken by ketditch
EDGE -- MB-1E9FCA366C08273C - Taken by danhese007
English Country Tea -- MB-27DBE9325B93D3E3

Anteater

Thank you for telling me. Sounds like a dark time for SteamGAF back then.

Nah, most of us here in steamgaf don't dislike him, he was becoming quite a character on gaf, which is something of a problem to other users anywhere else but not really in steamgaf, he's usually jaded but it's not like he was shit posting with personal attacks, he's just someone that doesn't like a lot of games he played and he talked about it a lot, that's basically it.

I could be wrong but the thing that really got him banned was that he couldn't tone it down in the official Thief thread after several warnings because it wasn't like he's interested to playing the game anyway but continued to criticize the game before release.

The derailments are often not by him but other posters who couldn't restrain themselves from posting garbage like "hey it's derrick look he doesn't like the game!" and dogpiling on the guy.

Shadownet

Banned
Wow, interesting selection of games that were entered. I'll post this again in the morning then if still not taken should i nuke and redo the giveaway but with no rules? I'm not sure why a bunch of these are not taken.

Can someone tell me if War in the North and Guardians of Middle Earth is any good?

(Huge LotR guy here, that's why I can't wait to play Shadow of Mordor.)

-----

@Anteater.

Several people have explained that to me. When I said dark times. I don't mean that I think he sounds like a horrible person. I meant when one person is offering up so much criticism and stuff and everyone else is kinda ganging up on him, it would create a bad vibe all around. I'm glad to hear it only happen mostly out side of SteamGAF though.

derExperte

Oh nice, found it now. Thanks!

I'll post it again because why not and the game could use some more attention. Which I ain't saying 'cause I got the key from the dev, I honestly think it's pretty great and also impressive for a one-man-joint.

Reading the description would've helped but I didn't expect Vertical Drop Heroes HD to be a rather intricate Rogue Legacy-style game where you can choose between heroes with different abilities and level stats up permanently, I thought it would be something simpler.

Don't know about the longevity yet (played 1hr) but compared to Legacy I like the short levels with a mini-boss at the bottom instead of having to grind a while before getting somehwere. Here there's instant gratification including temporary level ups you lose after dying and permanent upgrades that are purchasable in the levels and in the hub with gold (which you only lose between runs when rerolling the heroes offered). Keys are important as well as they're used for multiple purposes like opening chests, removing obstacles, freeing computer controlled helpers or even bypassing a mini-boss with five keys. And there's more, for example short quests that get you XP, water that flows around when blocks are destroyed, the possibility to warp back to the top and lots of tombstones which e.g. spawn artifacts but also enemies when activated. Enemy variety is high, graphics are good enough for a 5€ game and the artstyle reminds me of Scribblenauts (in a good way).

Almost forgot another nice touch, you can play as 'pacifist' and gain more XP by picking up symbols that disappear after killing one enemy (kills by ai companions don't count). Also levels have modifiers, enemies with less HP but more damage, two bosses instead of one etc.

A few cons: No online coop, only local and LAN. Sometimes enemies spawn right into me and when the health is low which can lead to an unavoidable death. Or there's a bunch cuddled together and it's impossible to fight them without losing a lot of health (avoiding those mobs is an option most of the time). Lastly the controller config needs work due to a few inconsistencies and bugs and button icons would've been appreciated. Overall the controls are fine though, very responsive.

So thumbs up from me so far, a pleasant surprise.

Can someone tell me if War in the North and Guardians of Middle Earth is any good?

(Huge LotR guy here, that's why I can't wait to play Shadow of Mordor.)
War in the North is really good, I enjoyed it a lot, I highly recommend it.
I played it on PS3 though, not sure how good is the PC version port-wise.

Anteater

@Anteater.

Several people have explained that to me. When I said dark times. I don't mean that I think he sounds like a horrible person. I meant when one person is offering up so much criticism and stuff and everyone else is kinda ganging up on him, it would create a bad vibe all around. I'm glad to hear it only happen mostly out side of SteamGAF though.

ahh, sorry that's what I get for trying to keep up with the thread using ctrl+f!

Hugstable

Banned
Ahh had a good nights rest, time to step my game up in Dishonored for a bit since I have to head out for awhile today :(. I think I just finished the Physician mission, how much more Dishonored do you think I got left? Really enjoying this game and gonna be sad when it ends, thankfully I bought the DLC recently during the sales.

Shadownet

Banned
War in the North is really good, I enjoyed it a lot, I highly recommend it.
I played it on PS3 though, not sure how good is the PC version port-wise.

I knew it! I had a nagging feeling that War in the North was pretty good! Thanks for letting me know :D

OK that was pretty damn funny. Made my morning lol

ahh, sorry that's what I get for trying to keep up with the thread using ctrl+f!

You never have to apologize to me about anything :) thank you for clarifying things. Lol Ctrl+F. I'll remember that good tip!

----

Atraveller is a pretty cool guy :) I like talking to him.

Egamer

Oh wow, just bumped into Praetorians in the Steam Store and totally forgot that game. Nostalgic.

Played many, many, many hours the multiplayer with my brothers, back in the day I was about 12 or something.

It wasn't a big game. You only had three factions and the goal was to destroy the other faction. But it was nice, especially the multiplayer.

Lain

I'll post it again because why not and the game could use some more attention. Which I ain't saying 'cause I got the key from the dev, I honestly think it's pretty great and also impressive for a one-man-joint.

Reading the description would've helped but I didn't expect Vertical Drop Heroes HD to be a rather intricate Rogue Legacy-style game where you can choose between heroes with different abilities and level stats up permanently, I thought it would be something simpler.

Don't know about the longevity yet (played 1hr) but compared to Legacy I like the short levels with a mini-boss at the bottom instead of having to grind a while before getting somehwere. Here there's instant gratification including temporary level ups you lose after dying and permanent upgrades that are purchasable in the levels and in the hub with gold (which you only lose between runs when rerolling the heroes offered). Keys are important as well as they're used for multiple purposes like opening chests, removing obstacles, freeing computer controlled helpers or even bypassing a mini-boss with five keys. And there's more, for example short quests that get you XP, water that flows around when blocks are destroyed, the possibility to warp back to the top and lots of tombstones which e.g. spawn artifacts but also enemies when activated. Enemy variety is high, graphics are good enough for a 5€ game and the artstyle reminds me of Scribblenauts (in a good way).

Almost forgot another nice touch, you can play as 'pacifist' and gain more XP by picking up symbols that disappear after killing one enemy (kills by ai companions don't count). Also levels have modifiers, enemies with less HP but more damage, two bosses instead of one etc.

A few cons: No online coop, only local and LAN. Sometimes enemies spawn right into me and when the health is low which can lead to an unavoidable death. Or there's a bunch cuddled together and it's impossible to fight them without losing a lot of health (avoiding those mobs is an option most of the time). Lastly the controller config needs work due to a few inconsistencies and bugs and button icons would've been appreciated. Overall the controls are fine though, very responsive.

I did grab it after reading your impressions. It also helps that the game can be found for a very low price. I paid 3.10€ from gamefly but isthereanydeals.com showed another place selling it for 1.95€.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks for Daikatana, was hoping one would pop up its the only thing I needed from the bundle

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh wow, just bumped into Praetorians in the Steam Store and totally forgot that game. Nostalgic.

Played many, many, many hours the multiplayer with my brothers, back in the day I was about 12 or something.

It wasn't a big game. You only had three factions and the goal was to destroy the other faction. But it was nice, especially the multiplayer.

I wish Merge would bring Commandos: Strike Force back to Steam.

Started to play Killer is Dead. I didn't like Suda's No More Heroes games (hated the hideous world hub and cannot stand motion controls) but I dug Shadow of the Damned and so far KiD isn't too shabby. The performance of the game isn't so hot though.

At the moment I somewhat regret buying Abyss Odyssey as I just don't care for the feel of the game but I'll play more soon. Nice music.

heh..just noticed GMG is selling Xbox Live codes. I still have money from Playfire rewards and am waiting for them to get something like Shovel Knight (have just enough for it).

Shadownet

Banned
I'm pretty excited that The Hercules movie staring the Rock is doing better than I expected. I'm going to see it soon!

Which really make me wonder why we haven't gotten a good proper Hercules game. I would take something God of War like or some sort of 2D adventure platformer.

Its untouched territory there. A game spanning his achievements would be awesome.

Hugstable

Banned

Dusk Golem wrote out some really well done and detailed impressions about it yesterday that hyped me for the game even more. It would be getting tons of love from me right now, but they announced Trails in the Sky is coming out in less than 3 days earlier this week, so Freedom Planet is gonna have to wait til next week. From what I've seen though, if you were ever a fan of Treasure games and their style of bosses you will love this game instantly. The levels seem like a mash up between the Sonic style and the Gunstar Heroes style in which you have section where you could be going fast, and sections where you have to take it a bit slower and watch out/take out enemies. I'm just happy we got a game that tries to emulate the classic style that was Treasure Games back in the day. Plus we had more Treasure love recently on Steam with the release of Ikaruga.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm pretty excited that The Hercules movie staring the Rock is doing better than I expected. I'm going going to see it soon!

Which really make me wonder why we haven't gotten a good proper Hercules game. I would take something God of War like or some sort of 2D adventure platformer.

Its untouched territory there. A game spanning his achievements would be awesome.

well, there was this ... it's ooooooooooooold ... and based on the movie ... but it's a genuinely awesome game

Hugstable

Banned
well, there was this ... it's ooooooooooooold ... and based on the movie ... but it's a genuinely awesome game

I remember that game, it was actually really well done for a Disney game. I hated the levels where you had to run from the Titan throwing the rocks though.

There was also another PS1 Herc game called Herc's Adventures which was pretty similar to Zelda style Action RPG gamepaly

Dambrosi

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dambrosi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Rush For Glory -- MB-4DEDB0CD8B52699F
Here you all go. Have at it.

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah, I was about to mention the PSX game. Loved it back in the day.

Yeah I remember this gem. Was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It was one of the first few games I ever truly owned as a kid.

Hopefully all these Hercules Hollywood exposure will bring some attention to the video game side.

If the Rock can voice him too that would be icing on the cake lol

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yeah I remember this gem. Was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It was one of the first few games I ever truly owned as a kid.

Hopefully all these Hercules Hollywood exposure will bring some attention to the video game side.

If the Rock can voice him too that would be icing on the cake lol

also, in case you were wondering - there IS a PC version of that game too :)

Dr Dogg

Dark Sector's Prolouge mission might be the greyest section in a game ever. There is literally no colour at all and the screen is completely desaturated. It's a bit better in Mission 1 proper and it looks like it was for some kind of artistic metric due to what happens in the cutscene that kicks everything off but it just looks really, really bad, ewwwwww.

That and it was a right pain in the arse to get running properly. Had some issues with funky aspect ratios under certain resolutions, has a fit if it tries to render anything above a horizontal resolution of 2048 pixels, has no AA options and crashed when looked at remotely funny. This better be the best game ever (which it's not) or have some of the most stupid and hilarious glitches in a game (which it has) or that was sure a waste to time getting it to work.

You had me at Rouge Legacy. It does sound a lot more immediate that RL. Is the progression of a similar format? As in need a good few tries before you're skilled up enough to take down a boss. Looks like one to keep an eye on for sure.

fenners

I won Crusader Kings 2 yesterday, so let's pay it forward.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia II -- MB-D2D1E0658B36DBA8 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 4 entrants total.
XCOM Apocalypse -- MB-09276FFE079A154F - Taken by Servizio. 2 entrants total.

t1406391373z1.png

JaseC

Ah, I've finally figured out why my game count dropped by one the other day: coincident with the Steamworks patch, Sega changed Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms from a game to a config file in favour of re-releasing it as a DLC app for Medieval 2: Total War.

fenners

Watching vids of this & man, it looks really interesting. 30% discount this weekend on Steam? Mmmm...

JaseC

You were having a panic attack weren't you? :p

"What happened to my game?! Who took one of my babies away!?!" :p

Haha, I forgot all about it, actually. I was just listlessly scrolling through my library when I noticed Kingdoms was no longer present.

Just something left over from a bundle
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ReduxMachine, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Operation flashpoint: Red River -- MB-6ED8039850FDFB58 - Taken by aurelioking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom