• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
I only had lag against you btw when you joined, I had no lag against nabs :/

Maybe we are just too far apart. I got lag against nabs too. both of ya'll show up as red and orange on my screen. I'm the only one to blame. I'm from the southeast US and no one in this region really plays fighting games on PC.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Would be missed in my edit, so I'll just make a new post for it.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Take me home
Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Take me home

I agree with Jasec, but I would've given it more time if it wasn't for the long title screen loading everytime you launch a game and having to listen to that song over and over :(

There are a variety of fixes and config.ini out there to disable that. Have been since 2009.

First and most useful is a config tool. http://nigelt.wordpress.com/2014/04...se-advanced-config-tool-v0-4-1-final-version/

Second is a do it yourself option that I prefer.

NOTE: This only works for the PC version

1.) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Burnout(TM) Paradise The Ultimate Box (or just "Program Files" if you're on a 32-bit system)

2.) Go to the SOUND folder

3.) Go to the STREAMS folder

4.) Search the folder for "GUNS"

5.) You should see the file "GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS"

6.) If you want to keep a backup of the song, copy that file and put it somewhere else

FOR REPLACING SONG

7a.) If you want to replace with another song (like Girlfriend), search the STREAMS folder for the artist of the song you want (Ex. search AVRIL and you will find AVRIL_LAVIGNE.SNS)

8a.) Make a copy of the song you want to put as the intro music (in this case AVRIL_LAVIGNE.SNS), and make a copy somewhere else. Then, rename that copy as GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS and replace the file with the same name in the STREAMS folder

9a.) You should now have "Girlfriend" on the startup of Burnout!

FOR DISABLING INTRO MUSIC COMPLETELY

7b.) Create a blank text file, and then save it as GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS. Make sure it's not showing up as GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS.txt and that you've actually changed the file extension.

8b.) Copy the GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS file you made in notepad and replace the actual GUNS_AND_ROSES.SNS in the STREAMS folder. You should now start Burnout in blissful silence.

There are also ways to put in your own custom music, but it's quite a bit of work. You can google "SNS converter" if you want to find out more. Hope this helped!

A bit late maybe, but Happy Birthday Shadownet

...why do people gift stuff on their birthday here? Shouldn't be the other way around?

Shadownet explained it thus:

This is what I posted on my facebook page "The best thing to do on your birthday is to give back something to everyone else. Cause you won't be who you are without the people in your life."

It's a noble sentiment that makes sense to me.

Hanzou

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hanzou, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Grand Theft Auto IV -- MB-ECEF80B76D5A0259 - Taken by fspm. 5 entrants total.

t1406397374z1.png

This is a quick one, Hurry and enter!

JustLynx

Equating Freedom making two or three posts where he gently gives Sub Zero shit for stealing from Playfire to terrorism strikes me as being a bit of a stretch.

making someone feel so unwanted that he gets up and just leaves a place where he was active for over a year...
how do you call something like that? this is beyond bullying...

Shadownet

Banned
I'm giving away the following games. If you want them. quote this post with the name of the game you want, delete everything else. I'll send you a PM with the code. I rather not use Modbot for this because I don't want to accidentally throttle anyone and they shouldn't really add to my total. :) first come first serve.

Thief Gold

Hitman: Codename 47

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Mini Ninjas - GONE

Daikatana

Anachronox - GONE

Deus Ex: The Fall - GONE

Battlestations: Midway - GONE

Deus Ex: Invisible War - GONE

Nosgoth Veteran Pack

The Darkness II - GONE

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - GONE

BioShock

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
god help me, if those ArchAge packs gave you full beta access I would buy one >_<

thankfully its only for small beta events or something, my wallet is safe

I'm giving away the following games. If you want them. quote this post with the name of the game you want, delete everything else. I'll send you a PM with the code. I rather not use Modbot for this because I don't want to accidentally throttle anyone and they shouldn't really add to my total. :) first come first serve.

you can use the garbagedump rule so the games dont throttle anyone

just started unepic (it was released not too long ago but the game was finished for quite a while except for multiplayer)
i really like the tone of the game, this may be the only game other than sam&max that'll make me laugh
i hope zera stays in the hero's body for the whole game, their relationship is really funny

Anteater

Would be missed in my edit, so I'll just make a new post for it.

There are a variety of fixes and config.ini out there to disable that. Have been since 2009.

First and most useful is a config tool. http://nigelt.wordpress.com/2014/04...se-advanced-config-tool-v0-4-1-final-version/

Second is a do it yourself option that I prefer.

Thanks!

Back when I played it I did try to find that config tool but they were all broken links. I did disable the song but it didn't really improve the load time for the main menu (and getting through the car rewards) so it was still kind of frustrating because I like to play in shortbursts (I often play racing games for a race or two and turn it off)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One of these days, I want to hold a Resident Evil 6 multiplayer thing. I can host a modded No Mercy Mercenaries server with up to 7 people thanks to Sectus's excellent mod manager. Only downside is that we won't get a score as anti-cheat will be active, but could be fun.

Hugstable

Banned

Deus Ex: The Invisible War

I'll quote the Invisable War!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got finished with work, time to head home. Hopefully I can finish Shantae and get started on TWAU.
SteamGAF, particularly Jshacks, has been really hyping me on TWAU as of late. Hopefully he lets me know how much he is enjoying,the comics.

I'm really enjoying the comics a lot. I ordered the Deluxe Edition Book One from Amazon for $20, which includes the first 10 comics (I believe there are about 130-140 at present). I'm almost done with this book, and I think having played the game first was a great introduction to the comics, since the game is technically a prequel to the story in the comics.

If you're a fan of comics and like The Wolf Among Us, I would totally recommend them.

dream

making someone feel so unwanted that he gets up and just leaves a place where he was active for over a year...
how do you call something like that? this is beyond bullying...

I guess I expect someone who is so defiant and unapologetic about stealing to have thicker skin. Especially when it was really one person who made a handful of posts that gave him shit.

And let's not forget that Sub Zero was essentially shitting on other people's giveaways and threatening to blacklist people from his own giveaways too.

Dr Dogg

One of these days, I want to hold a Resident Evil 6 multiplayer thing. I can host a modded No Mercy Mercenaries server with up to 7 people thanks to Sectus's excellent mod manager. Only downside is that we won't get a score as anti-cheat will be active, but could be fun.

Oh? My interest is piqued. What kind of mods are we talking? Do you have any links? Cheers in advance.

We've really been fortunate with the last couple of humble bundles. Loads of people getting given some pretty good games.

We've been spoiled rotten by the bundle gods!

Deitus

Just caught up on the thread. I can't believe Sub Zero is leaving. It's sad to see him go, and I hope he does come back soon.

Best of luck to you Sub Zero, you will be missed.

I've never felt comfortable entering giveaways; I'm always haunted by the potential guilt of winning, followed by the intense feeling of obligation to give more the instant I win.

Because of this, I suppose it's fortunate that I haven't won any of the giveaways I've entered.

One day I'll work up the funds to give things away, then I can enter these giveaways guilt-free.

HoosTrax

Not really i found myself having to move around a lot, it is doable but it wasn't really fun for me.

I didn't get on with it in solo but I loathe tower defence games but a guy from another forum I kick about on used to play it all the time and mainly in solo. They said that the initial hump of gearing up turns a few off but with all the DLC now there's loads to do. I did feel it played much better in coop and was paced better for multiple players especially when you have a stage with 4 spawn points when you have to constantly run back and forth but I can see the potential there if you like the genre.

It's so hot I can't even step out on my balcony today, and drop rates for cards I'm trying to idle are being miserable too. Worst day ever!

Partially, yes. Some challenges and levels are unbeatable, or damn close to it, in solo play, but you can totally do the campaign. I had a lot of fun with it, and I love OMD as well.

Oh please. I saw the posts. It was Freedom = $1.05 (the guy with the joker avatar for people who don't remember names) and it was a few posts. That same day, while you were feeling pissy about his posts, you took the time to shit on giveaways you deemed beneath your own with snide remarks, so don't pretend like you're some kind of angelic victim here. Maybe Freedom was being a dick, but so were you.
Thanks. I should probably just give the game a try and see how things go. After I finish Sanctum 2 that is.

SSPssp

A couple bundle extras, but they're both good games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SSPssp, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

To the Moon -- MB-F5499A39B1722711 - Taken by freshVeggie
Savant: Ascent -- MB-2C50A6D51DCFDD87 - Taken by Robert J. Sullivan

Hugstable

Banned
I've never felt comfortable entering giveaways; I'm always haunted by the potential guilt of winning, followed by the intense feeling of obligation to give more the instant I win.

Because of this, I suppose it's fortunate that I haven't won any of the giveaways I've entered.

One day I'll work up the funds to give things away, then I can enter these giveaways guilt-free.

Just enter dude! They've been provided by the community so that those who post here are usually given a fair chance to win! If they want you to have given a game away to enter, they usually set up GIVERS or MEGAGIVERS rule, so unless you see that you should be fine entering any giveaway you want!

I've been making my way through Anachronox, and while I'm not done, I think I've got enough to give you some impressions.

The graphics: Dated. It was built with the Quake II engine, so expect blocky and low-poly. It's not without its charm and style, and in the day might have looked good, but it's hard to equate that era with "good graphics." Still, they had to start somewhere. The graphics are actually reminiscent of Jet Force Gemini, if that helps you. Apparently there are mods to increase the resolution, but I haven't tried that.

The story: It's a sort of comedic space-noir. You start off playing a down-on-his-luck Nathan Fillion-esque private detective with a dead secretary who's still around in computer form and a robot pal who doesn't even have batteries. You find a lead on a job, meet interesting people, and things move from there. The way it's set up is like a combination of Space Quest and Knights of the Old Republic, with a hint of Blade Runner. I'm really enjoying the story thus far. Dialogue is also pretty smart, and interactions with characters change depending on who the leader of your party is. There are currently two in my party, but the menu seems to imply it'll grow to seven.

The gameplay: Less than an hour in I encountered a game-breaking bug that was rectified by quitting and restarting, and that had been experienced by many, according to the forums. In another area I got stuck in the world geometry and had to restore a save (and by the way, I do recommend changing to "save anywhere" in the options just because of these glitches.) Even without the glitches, it's still got jank. Animations change between regular walking and a stuttering skate, and transitioning between areas sometimes gives you a SLOW camera pan before control is restored to the player. Combat is turn-based and similarly S-L-O-W. Not because fights are hard or drawn-out, but only because it takes a while for actions to happen. Enemies seem to think for 20 seconds before deciding they're dead and falling down.

The quests and puzzles: The first area is confusing enough to navigate - by design, it seems - and the quests will love sending you back and forth all over the place. They're mostly fetch quests or "take photos of so many of this thing," but it's done well enough. I just wish it was faster to transition from place to place.

The audio: Sound effects are appropriately sci-fi and comedic, from the "ptchoo" of the laser pistol to the fart noise of the failed flaming bag. I'm trying hard to remember if there even is music. So if there is, you'll forget it five minutes after you hear it, if you're anything like me.

The verdict: There's a lot to like about this game and a lot to dislike. I'd suggest looking into mods to fix some of the issues if you're willing to put in the time. It feels like there's a good game inside here, but it's hard to get at it.

Vuze

About The Fall.

I was curious and thought I'd give it a shot, so I played the first 30mins just now. While controls feel a bit awkward (camera is slow and they use the X-button to confirm. daheck) I think it's quite alright so far.

Might even continue it after I finish Trine.

Shadownet

Banned

YOU! enter mine right now! :O pretty please? don't feel guilty. seriously, don't. this is all fun and game. and if you do win its because Modbot loves you.

Hugstable

Banned
About The Fall.

I was curious and thought I'd give it a shot, so I played the first 30mins just now. While controls feel a bit awkward (camera is slow and they use the X-button to confirm. daheck) I think it's quite alright so far.

Yeah after I found out the Totalbiscuit .gif was actually just a bug and people were posting it in a misleading way, I've been kinda wanting to try it as well. I'm a huge Deus Ex fan and got scared from seeing that .gif that the whole game would be like that, but now I kinda want to play it and get it over with. Even if the game is still complete shit, at least it's somewhat playable, unlike what those .gifs had originally made me think.

Deques

ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory - -- MB-5D3C7507CEF0B4C7 - Taken by salazar547
Rush for Glory - -- MB-7DCC0B1D5DE40BB5 - Taken by HoosTrax
Antichamber - -- MB-6EFCB6F6DB964C27 - Taken by Sabas
Echo of the Wilds - -- MB-AF52E6837EBED979 - Taken by CrunchyFrog
Shuggy - -- MB-F21F0C2886A36310
Super Panda - -- MB-B9624433CE93A485 - Taken by Dambrosi
LOST CIVILIZATION - -- MB-5D158709B67D58AF - Taken by anastef
Irongrip Warlord - -- MB-757EED6BC6203702
Ballpoint Universe - Infinite - -- MB-412B7F5F8A9803F0 - Taken by Wok
GEARCRACK Arena! - -- MB-1EC17844AEC9DEDA - Taken by Milamber
Swipecart - -- MB-509F451950034A1E - Taken by Kuroyume

Games! Free games! Oh, well, not really great games. But hopefully fun games

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
About The Fall.

Be aware that it's episodic. I'm not sure what the timeframe looks like for the later instalments, but if you're one of those people who prefers to wait until a game is a complete package then you'd be better off moving to something else.

maty

Well I know someone plays these strategy/space games. Giving away the same game twice is boring to me so I like to change it up each time.

Sure, great giveaways btw :)

Sorry to ask but did you get to play MP3
which I gifted you a year ago
? If not stop playing VT4 :p

Deques

Be aware that it's episodic. I'm not sure what the timeframe looks like for the later instalments, but if you're one of those people who prefers to wait until a game is a complete package then you'd be better off moving to something else.

Has there been any news on the next part at all?
If I were them I wouldn't bother with it. The Fall is the most horrible game I have played

About The Fall.
Like I imagined, most problems have been fixed.
Now to be finally present before a giveaway for it ends..
Be aware that it's episodic.[...]
Huh, didn't know that. Since it bombed ain't it unlikely to see more though?

Dr Dogg

I've only played a few stages in SP, they seem to be mostly race against the clock kind of short missions, the competitive aspect is much more fun

Definitely more fun in multi and even more so with peeps you know. But I've got up to the third set of levels in single and I'm more versed in the mechanics now because of. Still you need hours upon hours of practice in the muli levels to get the timing right for your desired path it seems.
Games! Free games! Oh, well, not really great games. But hopefully fun games

AntiChamber not really great? Why I 'oughta...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Interstellar Marines -- MB-D55CA923C46BAF51 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 5 entrants total.
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-0C8431C14D41CC0A - Taken by the_firewithin. 1 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-EF1218FBED4ED3C0 - Taken by Cyan
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-4D76ED4FBA170FEE - Taken by eek5. 4 entrants total.
BIT.TRIP RUNNER -- MB-16485160915F4F40 - Taken by super-famicom. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-E02A391F9571274D
Cave Story -- MB-1DBF4710BE87C865 - Taken by Cyan. 3 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-FC2844B30384AB09 - Taken by xeris
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-E7CA30936C807D27
VVVVVV -- MB-8877C2532A1D419D
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-92B502DB4C62D9A4 - Taken by Roboleon

t1406401154z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom