• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

H1PSTER

I've decided to reinstall DOTA 2.

I'm a huge fan of League, how can I translate what I know about LoL to playing DOTA 2 properly?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For those that have played/beat Sleeping Dogs, is Face exp limited?

I think so, but there's no danger of there not being enough to hit level 10, at least if you remember to wear clothing that boosts your Face XP before undertaking Face missions.

I can't speak for other telltale games but I just finished TWAU on the PC (played the walking dead on the ps3) and it played perfectly fine, outside of the framerate taking a hit every time a friend notification popped up.

But yeah, I've heard about save bugs and glitchiness when it comes to their older stuff before. It's one of the reasons I waited till the whole season of TWAU was out, hoping that they would iron that stuff out by the end.

Volcynika

header_292x136.jpg

EYYawG5.png

Just wanted to give my impressions so far of Vertical Drop Heroes HD.

I didn't really know anything about the game prior to winning it from the dev's Modbot giveaway, but I like platformers and the like, so I wanted to see what it was about.

The idea of the game is to basically work your way down through multiple stages to fight a miniboss of sorts at the bottom and proceed onto the next stage, all the while surviving enemies on the way down.

Thing is, almost every bit of the game's layout and setup is dependent on a dice roll of sorts. Level layouts (while staying true to a theme of jungle, desert, volcano, etc.), enemy positions, enemy traits (whether there are two of the same boss, or some fly), treasures, even the character you begin with changes each new attempt. So while overall you are basically playing one game, the details of it change ever so slightly whenever you restart.

I have to liken this game a lot to Rogue Legacy, in the sense of upgrading future heroes by ones that just don't quite make it.

As far as the base properties of heroes you play the game with, you are able to find perks and skills throughout levels that future heroes *may* end up with. Each hero will get two perks and two skills per run. You are given an option of three heroes before starting, but you are free to spend gold to re-roll and get a hero you think would be better to use. Some skill combinations are better than others, but you have to use them wisely as they are limited in use per level.

Gold makes the world go round, as it helps you purchase perks/skills mentioned above, and you can also upgrade the base stats of warriors. You can choose to upgrade their base strength, vitality, and the bonus one gets from being a pacifist (orbs exist in every level to give you bonus EXP and the like before you directly kill an enemy). I'm not sure how high those levels go, but of course they get more and more pricey the higher the level.

Traversing the levels is always a set of choices to be mindful of, really. There are treasures and the like scattered around the levels, as well as other AI heroes that will assist you. You have to decide what is best to use your limited keys you gather. If you choose to open treasures, you can store some much needed money, or you can free heroes to take care of enemies for you. Thing is, there are flags scattered around the level that basically alarm enemies and spawn them into the level at random, which can also be triggered by your minions. So, best to keep your eye on your health, or at least long enough for you to level up and restore it to full.

In addition to those choices, there are altars to choose from. Most of them involve either spending money to summon magic or increase a stat, or summoning enemies while giving you a boost. The spell summoning ones later on can get quite expensive, so always using them will drain your gold quickly.

So I've been at least really enjoying the game. I've been enjoying the progression of sorts, the gameplay is simple but fun, the difference in choices for each level make it interesting, and the music is actually pretty good too! There is a new game+ mode available (where an achievement is even involved), though I've been having lots of issues with the last boss on every attempt. I obviously won't spoil the last boss in these impressions, but I will just say the random nature of the game can sometimes really seemingly feel against you if you get a bad roll of the dice.

So far, I'd say it's definitely worth the $5 it currently is until next Friday. If you have someone to play local co-op with or LAN, it also has that too!

Also I am scatterbrained a bit so apologies if my impressions jump around. D:

Vuze

I can't speak for other telltale games but I just finished TWAU on the PC (played the walking dead on the ps3) and it played perfectly fine, outside of the framerate taking a hit every time a friend notification popped up.

But yeah, I've heard about save bugs and glitchiness when it comes to their older stuff before. It's one of the reasons I waited till the whole season of TWAU was out, hoping that they would iron that stuff out by the end.

I second this, so far I had no trouble with TT Games. *knocks on wood*
Heard of the issues tho, so I do backups after every episode I played through.

Sarcasm

I think so, but there's no danger of there not being enough to hit level 10, at least if you remember to wear clothing that boosts your Face XP before undertaking Face missions.

Crap...I am face lvl 7 and got the cheevo..Mr Nice Guy -.-

Do I really have to replay this game? And where are these face value clothes? lol

Kifimbo

I think this wasn't used.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

EvilQuest -- MB-BA71A5642E55E3A9 - Taken by Sarcasm

header_292x136.jpg

EYYawG5.png

Just wanted to give my impressions so far of Vertical Drop Heroes HD.

I didn't really know anything about the game prior to winning it from the dev's Modbot giveaway, but I like platformers and the like, so I wanted to see what it was about.

The idea of the game is to basically work your way down through multiple stages to fight a miniboss of sorts at the bottom and proceed onto the next stage, all the while surviving enemies on the way down.

Thing is, almost every bit of the game's layout and setup is dependent on a dice roll of sorts. Level layouts (while staying true to a theme of jungle, desert, volcano, etc.), enemy positions, enemy traits (whether there are two of the same boss, or some fly), treasures, even the character you begin with changes each new attempt. So while overall you are basically playing one game, the details of it change ever so slightly whenever you restart.

I have to liken this game a lot to Rogue Legacy, in the sense of upgrading future heroes by ones that just don't quite make it.

As far as the base properties of heroes you play the game with, you are able to find perks and skills throughout levels that future heroes *may* end up with. Each hero will get two perks and two skills per run. You are given an option of three heroes before starting, but you are free to spend gold to re-roll and get a hero you think would be better to use. Some skill combinations are better than others, but you have to use them wisely as they are limited in use per level.

Gold makes the world go round, as it helps you purchase perks/skills mentioned above, and you can also upgrade the base stats of warriors. You can choose to upgrade their base strength, vitality, and the bonus one gets from being a pacifist (orbs exist in every level to give you bonus EXP and the like before you directly kill an enemy). I'm not sure how high those levels go, but of course they get more and more pricey the higher the level.

Traversing the levels is always a set of choices to be mindful of, really. There are treasures and the like scattered around the levels, as well as other AI heroes that will assist you. You have to decide what is best to use your limited keys you gather. If you choose to open treasures, you can store some much needed money, or you can free heroes to take care of enemies for you. Thing is, there are flags scattered around the level that basically alarm enemies and spawn them into the level at random, which can also be triggered by your minions. So, best to keep your eye on your health, or at least long enough for you to level up and restore it to full.

In addition to those choices, there are altars to choose from. Most of them involve either spending money to summon magic or increase a stat, or summoning enemies while giving you a boost. The spell summoning ones later on can get quite expensive, so always using them will drain your gold quickly.

So I've been at least really enjoying the game. I've been enjoying the progression of sorts, the gameplay is simple but fun, the difference in choices for each level make it interesting, and the music is actually pretty good too! There is a new game+ mode available (where an achievement is even involved), though I've been having lots of issues with the last boss on every attempt. I obviously won't spoil the last boss in these impressions, but I will just say the random nature of the game can sometimes really seemingly feel against you if you get a bad roll of the dice.

So far, I'd say it's definitely worth the $5 it currently is until next Friday. If you have someone to play local co-op with or LAN, it also has that too!

Also I am scatterbrained a bit so apologies if my impressions jump around. D:

Bought it yesterday and it is great. Just letting everyone know it is cheaper at Gamefly. For some reason the base price is lower and its still 30% off. $3.49. gogogo!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Crap...I am face lvl 7 and got the cheevo..Mr Nice Guy -.-

Do I really have to replay this game? And where are these face value clothes? lol

Certain outfits earn you bonus XP. The most obvious example would be the cop outfits earning you extra cop XP.

hitoshi

I don't know if the link works! :(

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-BEE26A387A9F4614

dat panty shot when Ashley gets out of containers, no wonder you people like RE4 more than RE5
image.php

If you look up her skirt any other time, she squeals and calls you a pervert.

Beardy McCentipede was easy, looked awesome tho

just got to the castle, how far into it am I?

Maybe a quarter of the way through? Also, you can actually cheese every boss in the game using
a rocket launcher.

BruteUA

You are talking about a guy whose signature way to kill is a poison or gas that leaves the victim with their face contorted into a smile and who often uses weaponized gag items. Also, the Joker isn't a master of disguise. Most of his history paints him as a man who's face is permanently frozen or disfigured into a smile even when using makeup and dye to disguise his skin and hair color.

He would probably use his real first name because he would find it funny.

I actually agree with this, yet it wouldn't have made for a snarky comment so I chose to disregard the truth.

abracadaver

Is there a way to tell if I'm throttled ?
I'm trying to claim a garbage key but ModBot doesn't respond

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mini Ninjas -- MB-CE12072DC1CF09DE - Taken by dave is ok. 4 entrants total.

t1406471596z1.png

aku:jiki

Blood of the Werewolf made me slam my desk and spill a big glass of ice tea all over my floor.

But I beat the motherfucker! It ends on a story cliffhanger strongly implying a sequel. Lawd please spare us

Can problems/vac bans occur when I idle in SAM for games I haven't even installed but only own?
On a similar note; What are good ways to make money in Steam? Selling cards immediately, complete sets, or craft badges and emotes, etc. Never sold anything and don't know what options there are, which is best.

Jawmuncher

Can problems/vac bans occur when I idle in SAM for games I haven't even installed but only own?
On a similar note; What are good ways to make money in Steam? Selling cards immediately, complete sets, or craft badges and emotes, etc. Never sold anything and don't know what options there are, which is best.

No. Steam just cares if you own the game.

As for selling better off just selling the cards. Unless its a Waifu game with high selling backgrounds.

Sarcasm

I won't actually use this, so I figured someone will.

To redeem it, create an account here and than use the key.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strife Beta Key -- MB-7DE2294ACB05DF6F

t1406482096z1.png

Yeah, telltale post launch support is nonexistant, they just don't care at all about consumers, as long as they got your money they won't bother fixing the game, which sucks because some of their games are great.

The other annoying thing with them, they don't even allow the configuration of controls on their PC games. If you don't (or can't) use WASD, tough.

Jawmuncher

Weren't the Xbox and 360 versions of Far Cry 1 actually better than the PC versions?

Then again they were pretty different but I know they didn't have super soldiers AI in them.

Plus I'm a sucker for having hunter powers in those.

Dr Dogg

Well after finally getting Sands of Time to work in a widescreen resolution and not chop off the UI I've come to the conclusion my 360 pad really needs replacing. I know the Prince is a sullen fellow but even pressing up as hard as can all he does is meander forwards at about the pace of a snail. Side to side and backwards no problemo urggghhhh.

So anyway on to Batyman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Do I Need Any More Subtitles Edition. Considering this is a Vita/3DS port it doesn't look half bad at all.

Though graphics options are a bit thin on the ground and higher resolutions make the UI next to impossible to see. So lets see if this deserves the poor reception it got...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a way to tell if I'm throttled ?
I'm trying to claim a garbage key but ModBot doesn't respond

Some things:
- There is no throttle on garbage dump giveaways. What you're trying to claim is not a garbage dump giveaway. The poop icon next to a game doesn't mean it's a garbage giveaway, it means it's a bad game. See FAQ for GARBAGEDUMP. See FAQ for trivia about

- There's no way to check if you are throttled, because if you could, wouldn't most abusive members just use the information to deliberately maximize their win schedule?

- No matter how few games you've won, there's a 15 minute throttle between wins. So, for example, if you're trying to claim both games in a 2-game free-for-all, you can't just claim the first one and then immediately claim the second one. The throttle is described here in the FAQ, 3rd question down.

- If you enter for something you're ineligible for, you are prohibited from entering for the exact same thing again. In other words, your entry for the game you got throttled out of (from the 15 minute throttle) is still in the system, so if you've tried to enter for the same thing again, it's saying "There's an exact duplicate claim already in the system marked as processed and ineligible".

I am 100% sure the game in question is going to be given away again in the future.

Grief.exe

I started Far Cry 1 up today.. why can enemies shoot/see through tents and know exactly where you are lol.

I never actually got through Far Cry 1. Too many frustrating gameplay systems, especially the stealth.

Just sneaking through the forest when your 'stealth gauge' mates out and bullets start whizzing by your head.

I do want to give Far Cry 2 a try, I've heard some good things about the game. Seems to,be one of those that is quite polarizing.

JustinBB7

I never bothered hiding too much in that. It only "works" in the first few levels anyway.

I'm not even trying to use stealth, they just know exactly where I am magically, while there are 2 tents and a barrack in between us lol.

Besides that it's not so bad. The voice acting makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom