• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I think it's the kind of game that you get out what you put in. Even if the structure was largely the same throughout, the enemy interactions, buddy system, weapons available to you, and the things designed to just throw a wrench in your plans make for a unique experience.

To me, it's not the kind of game you play for the story progression, you don't blaze through missions to get through content, you just take everything as it comes. While the respawns do get overbearing at times, it's just one of those things you have to be willing to accept and work with in order to get the most out of it.

Oh definitely. I've always seen Far Cry 2 as a sandbox game that is made up of little mini sandboxes. Things didn't always play out the same twice but it did get to the point where I'd think 'Fuck it I''ve got to go past that place again and those guys will be back' which would result in me trying to boot it past as fast as possible and go down in a blaze of glory. I'm half tempted to go through it again before 4 as I missed a shit ton of content in the collectables, buddies to save and side missions as well.

30 games down for the 52 games for this year. Only 22 more games to go...

If I were to stop buying games right now and completed 52 games a year, it would take me around 19 years to complete my backlog. Screw it.

Congratz! I have no idea where I'm at but I stopped counting a long time ago. I've been half tempted to do a buy no games and see how many I can finish before I buy another endurance run type thing but I haven't got past the stop buying games part yet :p

Oh definitely. I've always seen Far Cry 2 as a sandbox game that is made up of little mini sandboxes. Things didn't always play out the same twice but it did get to the point where I'd think 'Fuck it I''ve got to go past that place again and those guys will be back' which would result in me trying to boot it past as fast as possible and go down in a blaze of glory. I'm half tempted to go through it again before 4 as I missed a shit ton of content in the collectables, buddies to save and side missions as well.
Far Cry 2 is amazing, I finished it recently and never got tired of having to fight through the same place a couple or three times. Shooting felt so good, very different from other games but really satisfying.

Sini

No problem Nightmare, I know how that feels ha.

Ok update time

Dozy Pillocks who signed up so far:
1. Ozium
2. Mozendo
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. SinineSiil(maybe? please confirm.)
6. ???

If everyone is fine with someone hosting from EU (SinineSiil) please pm me. If not that hosting job is still open. One final slot is still open!

Yeah I think so

I didn't see the timing at first and it's apparently 6 in the morning for me so I'm out. :( Why don't Europeans play anything together?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Evy: Magic Spheres (DESURA) -- MB-8C3E09F5C9D76682 - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
Radical Heroes: Crimson City Crisis (DESURA) -- MB-6F8BFE1F41B91FCD - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
Power-Up (DESURA) -- MB-A1572B915ECC78CF

t1406477862z1.png

MRORANGE

The best way to approach FC2 is 'a why does everone want me dead?' simulator.

Stil like the game, I remember one encounter when my car got wrecked and I was out in the middle of nowhere and had to walk back to the main road, during the journey a car comes out of nowhere and runs me over. What I dint realized was that it was from a checkpoint that I ran past a while ago and didn't bother to clear.

Dr Dogg

Far Cry 2 is amazing, I finished it recently and never got tired of having to fight through the same place a couple or three times. Shooting felt so good, very different from other games but really satisfying.

I think I need to play through it again but this time with a different view to proceedings. Plus I'm suckered in to the Ubisoft way of no stone left unturned now. The health system first implemented in 2 is something that I like. I think my main problem was my own impatience.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I haven't played 2 since 2008 but from what I remember of it I'd say it's my favourite of the bunch thus far. The only particularly bothersome elements that comes to mind are how overzealous the enemy patrols are once they've spotted you, and outposts respawn quite quickly.

Yesterday I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 a bit more since the last time. I was basically at the end of Chapter 1, having just finished the Circus Tent quest which was un-fucking-bearable for me 'cause: a) those annoying fucking shadows take no damage unless you have a Dispell Magic spell or whatever and b) I HAD NO CHARACTER IN MY PARTY WITH DISPELL MAGIC. And Aerie, the girl who apparently knew it, somehow wasn't able to use it (she was too low level? I don't think I'm getting that part of the game). So I was forced to RUN to the "top floor" instead of exploring. Ugh. At least the "boss" was a pushover.

I talked to this Anomen guy and he joined the party, until I talked to this Nalia girl which had a quest about saving her house from monsters, so I ditched Anomen and had HER join my party for the purposes of this quest. Did I make the right choice? Can I just switch characters on my party without big repercussions, or is there a bigger price to pay?

After completing the Copper Coronet quest, liberating the slaves and having them take over the place (and having a much needed rest), I left the inn and got assaulted and REKT by some bandits and I decided to stop playing for the night. Aw shit.

You can switch most characters on the fly without much in the way of consequence. The only exceptions are:

Yoshimo: If you don't bring him to the island to rescue Imoen, he disappears from the game afterwards.
And if you do, he dies anyway from Irenicus' geas.

Jaheira: If I'm not mistaken, there are some certain parts of her romance quest that are time-sensitive. Really, I keep her in my party as much as possible because her loyalty/romance is really, really finicky unless you're using mods.

Minsc: If you have the Unfinished Business mod, his loyalty quest requires that you find Boo in a certain amount of time (a week in-game, I believe) or else he leaves the party for good.

Anomen's pretty good when you complete his quest.
Choose not to exact vengenace against the killer, and have him become a paladin for great stats.
I actually kept most of my party members in De'arnise Keep and used it as a pseudo player house. Much easier to keep track of my items that way. My party also usually consisted of Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo or Imoen, Keldorn, Xan (from a mod) and Anomen.

Also, if you want a tip/boost. If you have TOB installed, go to Watcher's Keep. Make sure Yoshimo's at a decent level. Put him in solo mode, throw him into stealth and loot all of the chests/disarm traps on the first floor. Equip your party with your overpowered goods. Proceed to wreck face.

iosefe

Woah, I won something! Of course Shadow ends up being even more generous with the prizes than planned :p

I think the real treat was participating and seeing all of the other entries. Gold.

Did you not see mine? Mechanical pencil, bro.

It also looks like I should have sent a better copy.
Whoops. I did see it, but it escaped my mind as I was posting because I looked at all the others after

Altazor

You can switch most characters on the fly without much in the way of consequence. The only exceptions are:

Yoshimo: If you don't bring him to the island to rescue Imoen, he disappears from the game afterwards.
And if you do, he dies anyway from Irenicus' geas.

Jaheira: If I'm not mistaken, there are some certain parts of her romance quest that are time-sensitive. Really, I keep her in my party as much as possible because her loyalty/romance is really, really finicky unless you're using mods.

Minsc: If you have the Unfinished Business mod, his loyalty quest requires that you find Boo in a certain amount of time (a week in-game, I believe) or else he leaves the party for good.

Anomen's pretty good when you complete his quest.
Choose not to exact vengenace against the killer, and have him become a paladin for great stats.
I actually kept most of my party members in De'arnise Keep and used it as a pseudo player house. Much easier to keep track of my items that way. My party also usually consisted of Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo or Imoen, Keldorn, Xan (from a mod) and Anomen.

Also, if you want a tip/boost. If you have TOB installed, go to Watcher's Keep. Make sure Yoshimo's at a decent level. Put him in solo mode, throw him into stealth and loot all of the chests/disarm traps on the first floor. Equip your party with your overpowered goods. Proceed to wreck face.

thank you very much for the advice!

Shadownet

Banned
But seriously, how generous can you get, holy barnacles. So awesome.

You seriously have impressive art skills :) thanks for entering.

Doh. You weren't supposed to post my horrible pic. >_>

It wouldn't be fair if no one else get to see all the hard work you put into it!
-----------------------

I kinks IOU are risky because games might be region locked but that's why I'm preparing for that scenario, if I have to buy full priced games, I'll try my best to fulfill my promise as fast as possible.

All the people I promise that will get the game before release date will. The rest I will get it to you when I can.

I don't have a ton of money, I save up what I have to buy you guys the games I give away. I hope you guys will understand and be patience with me.

oupi

oupi made out like a bandit tonight. Dude got Broforce won Trails in the Sky in the span of 3 hours. Congrats!

I did! 111 and 56 entries on the two giveaways, I PM'd my thanks but thanks again to Shadownet and Ryne! These were my first two wins here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (oupi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-A1EAB9BCE55AC495 - Taken by freshVeggie. 22 entrants total.

t1406564257z1.png

dmix90

Guys....SAM for card idling working only for 2 games at the same time? Launched 6 times got card drops only from first two games.

Turfster

So I mainlined most of Wolf Among Us last night - this morning.
Much, much better than Walking Dead.
Sadly, the same QTE problems remain. One day, Telltale will discover there are other keyboard layouts in the world than qwerty =p

Steel & steam keys available in the Groupees Steampunk 2 bundle
Frayed Knights The Skull of Smakh-Daon available in the Groupees Indie bundle

GMG is selling Borderlands 2 GOTY for 66% off

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so aparently Nabs cant handle my Hakan

and I cant handle his Dan

...whut? >_>

Jusoni

Any trick for Wolverine in the castle? I cba dying over and over again on bosses anymore, like Murtaugh, im too old for this shit

After that, you get to the most frustrating and nerve wrecking part of the game. Seriously, I've beaten RE4 more than ten times and I still dread that part. Last time I even did a nice ALT+F4 rage quit on it. After that, everything in the game is smooth sailing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Sarcasm, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strife Beta Key -- MB-7DE2294ACB05DF6F

t1406482096z1.png

Dr Dogg

Well after 'reading' through that FC3 story thread it's got me half tempted to go install Kane & Lynch 2 (despite Enco saying it still has problems). Now that's a game that the story either has an overlooked satirical slant or is just a terrible, terrible game. I only lasted 10 mins the last time around due to the camera really doing a number on my stomach.

Also I see ModBot has almost 3 times as many post as me in this thread now hahaha. Dude needs to chill.

You seriously have impressive art skills :) thanks for entering.

It wouldn't be fair if no one else get to see all the hard work you put into it!
-----------------------

I kinks IOU are risky because games might be region locked but that's why I'm preparing for that scenario, if I have to buy full priced games, I'll try my best to fulfill my promise as fast as possible.

All the people I promise that will get the game before release date will. The rest I will get it to you when I can.

I don't have a ton of money, I save up what I have to buy you guys the games I give away. I hope you guys will understand and be patience with me.

Thanks yo, and certainly don't feel rushed to give me it. I had more than enough fun participating.

Saty

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/153591/steam-top-10
Valve offers the following list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1.Divinity: Original Sin
2.Dark Souls II Season Pass
3.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition
4.DayZ
5.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
6.Planet Explorers
7.Dead Island Franchise Pack
8.Dungeon Defenders Eternity
9.The Forest
10.The Elder Scrolls Online

4th consecutive week for OS at #1.

Sadly, the same QTE problems remain. One day, Telltale will discover there are other keyboard layouts in the world than qwerty =p

They will drop all pretense of gameplay before that happens. I played the new Walking Dead episode the other day and decided to lie back in bed and play with a controller. Doing that really drives home the point about how little interactivity these games have. There was one section where you drop out of a cutscene, walk forward about 15 steps and then the game takes control away from you again. What's the point of that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They will drop all pretense of gameplay before that happens. I played the new Walking Dead episode the other day and decided to lie back in bed and play with a controller. Doing that really drives home the point about how little interactivity these games have. There was one section where you drop out of a cutscene, walk forward about 15 steps and then the game takes control away from you again. What's the point of that?

Sounds like a fair portion of Max Payne 3. ;)

Turfster

How the ever said how season 1 sold? I can't see the incentive for them to continue if it only did a fraction of TWD.

It's gotten really good reviews, so I'd think sales wouldn't be that bad.
Of course, unlike TWD, it doesn't have fucking zombies, the thing 'everyone' loves these days.
Fuck zombies. =p

Tame

personally i'm all for a SteamGAF game night thats EU friendly.

Unfortunately i'm a terrible organiser to get the ball rolling

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of InvisibleStride, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (InvisibleStride, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rise Of Nations -- MB-BC30A6EBCD7DA57B - Taken by spindoctor. 53 entrants total.

t1406483617z1.png

kudoboi

oh, good, third season of TWD from Telltale confirmed.
How about more Fables, guys?

was that actually confirmed by telltales? also, i'm pretty sure we will get a season 2 of the wolf among us considering the ending of season 1 ended
in a cliffhanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom