• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Who-GAF is a noted subset of Gotham-SteamGAF

"The [cast] members, always playing characters with the same names but with widely different roles, personalities, and- in one memorable episode- genders... "

The Result of the "Great Detective Challenge"
The following people are the winners:

1] PfantzyPantz
2] Yrael
-----------------------------------------------------------------
But remember how I said if there was 25 are more applicants I would include 2 more prizes?
Well since the 13 people work so hard on this, I decided that I will include not 2, not 3, not even 4. But 5 runner-up prizes anyway! YAY!

Here are the runner-ups:

1] Vuze
2] billmcdougal
3] darkchewie
4] iosefe
5] maneil99
------------------------------------------------------------------

Woah, I won something! Of course Shadow ends up being even more generous with the prizes than planned :p

I think the real treat was participating and seeing all of the other entries. Gold.

Congrats, all!
This is extremely generous of you.

Seems I was the only one with a hand drawn entry

Did you not see mine? Mechanical pencil, bro.

It also looks like I should have sent a better copy.

Khronico

Alright folks quick update for the 8PM PST SteamGAF Killing Floor Match(es):

Dozy Pillocks who signed up so far:
1. Ozium
2. Nightmare Trigger
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. ???
6. ???

There are still 2 slots open if anyone would like to join. As well as that, I still need someone willing to host (unless we just want to get in an empty server or something). More planning and organizing will be done as the hour draws near.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can problems/vac bans occur when I idle in SAM for games I haven't even installed but only own?
On a similar note; What are good ways to make money in Steam? Selling cards immediately, complete sets, or craft badges and emotes, etc. Never sold anything and don't know what options there are, which is best.

As far as the trading card system is concerned, selling cards sooner rather than later is the safest bet, though if you're feeling lucky, you can craft a badge that may potentially drop a relatively valuable common item, such as Port Royale 3's :weed: emoticon. I'd avoid buying up smaller listings of cards/items to resell at a higher a price as this is a gamble that very rarely pays off.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding or something, but Rise of Nations is actually region free.
You only need VPN for the 4-pack.

Which is what was on offer. ;)

I can buy it for $21.99 but 4-pack host will have to use VPN to activate gift.

Strider

I've won more than my fair share thanks to all the geenrous people here so I wanted to give back to you guys. Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (InvisibleStride, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rise Of Nations -- MB-BC30A6EBCD7DA57B - Taken by spindoctor. 53 entrants total.

t1406483617z1.png

Saty

BTW, Stump, i wanted to ask about IOU giveaways and the loopholes it may provide for the Pay-it-Forward \ Mega Giver rules.

If i have it right most everything that is claimed through Modbot would count for those rules. So people could theoretically make giveaways on Steam games that aren't purchasable yet and thus be eligible for giveaways with those rules. You wouldn't know if that person is going to give the game until it's out, which could be for months. Now, current IOU giveaways are done by known and trustworthy users but who knows down the line if some will abuse it.

So is there some way to prevent that kind of abuse. Like Modbot recognizing the game listed in the giveaway is on Steam but not yet purchasable so while it can be claimed, it wouldn't count for Pay-it-Forward\Megagivers raffles? Also, do Beta keys count for Mega Givers\Pay-it-Forward eligibility?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any trick for Wolverine in the castle? I cba dying over and over again on bosses anymore, like Murtaugh, im too old for this shit

BTW, Stump, i wanted to ask about IOU giveaways and the loopholes it may provide for the Pay-it-Forward \ Mega Giver rules.

If i have it right most everything that is claimed through Modbot would count for those rules. So people could theoretically make giveaways on Steam games that aren't purchasable yet and thus be eligible for giveaways with those rules. You wouldn't know if that person is going to give the game until it's out, which could be for months. Now, current IOU giveaways are done by known and trustworthy users but who knows down the line if some will abuse it.

So is there some way to prevent that kind of abuse. Like Modbot recognizing the game listed in the giveaway is on Steam but not yet purchasable so while it can be claimed, it wouldn't count for Pay-it-Forward\Megagivers raffles? Also, do Beta keys count for Mega Givers\Pay-it-Forward eligibility?

IOU giveaways are weird, not because I dont think people wont fulfill them (although theres always the risk of that), but more imporantly for the giver, with the rise of region locking, its very risky to be doing IOUs on big games that all of sudden you cant get it for 25bucks, you have to get it for 60bucks. Unless you are a rich motherfucker than go right ahead, just seems like a very risky road to take considering what we've seen lately on region locks (not just Witcher, but Risen and Sacred aswell, it seems publishers are becoming more aware of this as more and more people do it)

Dr Dogg

Weren't the Xbox and 360 versions of Far Cry 1 actually better than the PC versions?

Then again they were pretty different but I know they didn't have super soldiers AI in them.

Plus I'm a sucker for having hunter powers in those.

Well Far Cry as in the very first game only just came to console in the complete pack as of very recently. What was initially on the OG Xbox and 360 was Far Cry Instincts which is a semi sort of remake where it's not an open ended game any more and was a Ubisoft jam not Crytek so there's a few mechanical tweaks as well including less uber sighted AI. There was also a couple of sequels, Evolution and Predator which I have no idea what they're about but I always used to see them in the bargain bin at a couple of PC stores. Far Cry Vengeance for the Wii is yet another remake, this time one of the Xbox sequels.

Basically for purists there is 3 (soon to be 4) Far Cry games, 1 by Crytek and 2 (3) by Ubisoft and 6 remake and spin off games if you include Blood Dragon (which is waaaaay better than all the other spin off game).

I never actually got through Far Cry 1. Too many frustrating gameplay systems, especially the stealth.

Just sneaking through the forest when your 'stealth gauge' mates out and bullets start whizzing by your head.

I do want to give Far Cry 2 a try, I've heard some good things about the game. Seems to,be one of those that is quite polarizing.

Are you a fan of repetition? Then do I have the game for you! Asides all the back and forth and respawning camps the story is a-ok. Bizarrely it's one of the few Ubisoft titles that scales really well with newer hardware. Back when it came out I could barely get 30fps with the fire and vegetation effect maxed out now I get over 200.

Lain

How do I set a resolution for SpeedRunners? The game started in 3200x1800 but the options menu had nothing about video options. I'd prefer not to downsample while trying it out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks, I only "fought" him once when I got to the room and died almost imediatly (actually stupid Ashley died), but like I said, I cba with doing trial runs these days anymore (on any game really, how I got through the dark souls games is beyond me)

rtcn63

thanks, I only "fought" him once when I got to the room and died almost imediatly (actually stupid Ashley died), but like I said, I cba with doing trial runs these days anymore (on any game really, how I got through the dark souls games is beyond me)

Leave Ashley upstairs before you initiate the fight.

I don't normally get frustrated by games, but the original Far Cry was really driving me crazy by the end. The eagle eye mercs (granted your character was wearing a bright red shirt in the jungle) you encounter that can successfully snipe with any weapon, which aren't so bad on their own but by the time
Trigens are introduced not too far into the game any semblance of fun disappears. Between the mutant monkeys who can kill you in two hits when you're full on health and armour, and the unholy Hulk Cyberdemon amalgam you encounter that shoots rockets with a seemingly infinite blast radius
yeah, had me glad to be done with the game.

rtcn63

The FC3 thread is leaving me with one of those "slightly less hope in humanity" moments. Remind me not to go back, else I'll risk a ban like so many others.

Sini

1. Ozium
2. Nightmare Trigger
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. ???
6. ???

There are still 2 slots open if anyone would like to join. As well as that, I still need someone willing to host (unless we just want to get in an empty server or something). More planning and organizing will be done as the hour draws near.
Where is everyone located? I can host and play if people are near EU.

On Far Cry 1. Having played Crysis 1 before Far Cry 1, I kinda changed some of my opinions on Crysis after Far Cry.
When I played Crysis, I was amazed at the fredoom the huge levels provided. The different weapons weren't just a check list but actually could lead to drastically different playstyles - even more when combined with suit powers.
Personally, I loved the illusion of an open-world, sandbox fps where you could go full stealth or guns blazing, changing your routes each playthrough.
Really believed Crytek paved a new way for fps. But that was before having played Far Cry 1.
After playing Far Cry 1 I realized that almost all game designs which I found revolutionary in Crysis, were long before present in Far Cry. Even more, the setting of a tropical island, the route the game took with human adversaries for the main playtime and non-human foes for the later part, the semi-open-world, ability to use vehicles etc.
This does not make Crysis less enjoyable but shows that unlike what a lot of people say; that Crytek lost its essence when transitioning to consoles with Crysis 2, is not fully true. I am not saying Crytek went creatively bankrupt after Far Cry 1 but most of what made Crysis great had been established with its unofficial predecessor. The suit was a stroke of genius, that I must admit.
My take on Cryteks evolution is that other devs/pubs should take notes of what to do and what to avoid as there is free experience to be had here.
As I said, Crysis - unlike it sequels - has a lot more to offer than just gorgeous visuals. Crytek did refine and perfect to some extent what was a very solid game design in Far Cry, added some truly great additions on top and finally sweetened the cake with a delicious visual icing. Essentially, they stayed true to their roots/what made the seuqel great.
With Crysis 2 a departure of this mentality is visible. No more big, sandbox levels to explore gameplay possibilities and simplified suit powers which lead to basically two powers remaining - stealth and armor.
Crysis is also a good example at the importance of visuals. While Crysis 1 & 2 were visually breathtaking when they released, only the first garnered an avid following. Visuals can take a game only that far.
So much to learn of the mistakes Crytek made.

Volcynika

Beat the last boss of Vertical Drop Heroes HD and unlocked NG+. That mode is basically endless mode with randomized levels/enemies/everything. And tougher. But you do get 3x as many uses of skills which can make things that much more fun!

Also Plague + Confusion = broken as helllllllllllllll. Confuse them to attack each other, then use plague and spread the death of disease!

Divius

Speedrunners is a ton of fun...when it works. Every other game this happens:

The camera just randomly drifts off and I can't see anything, resulting in my dead. I have to quit in order to fix it for the next game. When that game finishes and we restart, the same thing happens again. Kinda shitty and gamebreaking.

Mozendo

1. Ozium
2. Nightmare Trigger
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. ???
6. ???

I should be available at that time.
Sign me up!

Sarcasm

Speedrunners is a ton of fun...when it works. Every other game this happens:

The camera just randomly drifts off and I can't see anything, resulting in my dead. I have to quit in order to fix it for the next game. When that game finishes and we restart, the same thing happens again. Kinda shitty and gamebreaking.

Makes me think of Magicite and its MP bug lol.

1. Ozium
2. Nightmare Trigger
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. ???
6. ???

What is this in Taiwan time? I think that is 11 AM Monday for me (if its sunday for you).

Are you a fan of repetition? Then do I have the game for you! Asides all the back and forth and respawning camps the story is a-ok. Bizarrely it's one of the few Ubisoft titles that scales really well with newer hardware. Back when it came out I could barely get 30fps with the fire and vegetation effect maxed out now I get over 200.
I think it's the kind of game that you get out what you put in. Even if the structure was largely the same throughout, the enemy interactions, buddy system, weapons available to you, and the things designed to just throw a wrench in your plans make for a unique experience.

To me, it's not the kind of game you play for the story progression, you don't blaze through missions to get through content, you just take everything as it comes. While the respawns do get overbearing at times, it's just one of those things you have to be willing to accept and work with in order to get the most out of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

ModBot doesn't know what you're giving away. It has no way of knowing whether you're claiming you're giving away The Wheelman but actually just giving away an ASCII art picture of boobs. I am weary about spending too much time implementing an administrative layer on top of ModBot to try to really figure this stuff out. I feel like the best tool to make sure someone is not eligible for your giveaway is to block them from your giveaway, and the best tool to do that to chronic offenders without having to pay close attention is the community blacklist. ModBot has always been relaxed about the formats it can accept for good reason. If people get back error bouncebacks that ModBot was unable to detect the game information or whatever, they just won't use ModBot. It's already the case that people don't use ModBot for a variety of reasons, include that it's "too hard" (even if manually PMing people who quote-spam is significantly harder) or that "they don't want people to be throttled" or whatever. I don't want people to feel like using ModBot is a burden or a hurdle or requires a significant investment for them.

I would expect that if an abuser wanted to get PIF / Mega Givers eligiblity, they'd just spam bundle games. If they wanted to do so undetected, they'd spam bundle games anonymously. I don't think most people are going to create elaborate hoaxes that they will 100% be caught on 6 months-a year from now in order to get a 1 in 50+ type chance at getting a game that costs $30 or whatever. I think most people value their GAF accounts more than $0.75 or so.

Beyond that, if someone does a giveaway and doesn't deliver the promised item, well... I mean, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Personally I'd lean against the wisdom of doing an IOU giveaway because of the risk of, say, unexpected financial hardship or whatever. Look at all these indie kickstarters where the person suddenly gets sick or has something come up with their schooling or job or their interest changes or whatever--and the common element in each is that they promised something they couldn't deliver because they thought their ability to predict what would happen was better than it actually was.

Altazor

Never entered the GREAT DETECTIVE CHALLENGE but still: congrats to all the winners and thanks Shadownet for his generosity. Hope you had a great birthday, man!

Yesterday I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 a bit more since the last time. I was basically at the end of Chapter 1, having just finished the Circus Tent quest which was un-fucking-bearable for me 'cause: a) those annoying fucking shadows take no damage unless you have a Dispell Magic spell or whatever and b) I HAD NO CHARACTER IN MY PARTY WITH DISPELL MAGIC. And Aerie, the girl who apparently knew it, somehow wasn't able to use it (she was too low level? I don't think I'm getting that part of the game). So I was forced to RUN to the "top floor" instead of exploring. Ugh. At least the "boss" was a pushover.

But that's in the past. Yesterday I decided to leave the district and so I went to the Slums. CHAPTER 2 BEGINS! I think I spent like... 2 hours just talking and doing a single quest: the Copper Coronet one, which was... gratifying. Fucking Lehtinan had it coming.
I talked to this Anomen guy and he joined the party, until I talked to this Nalia girl which had a quest about saving her house from monsters, so I ditched Anomen and had HER join my party for the purposes of this quest. Did I make the right choice? Can I just switch characters on my party without big repercussions, or is there a bigger price to pay?

After completing the Copper Coronet quest, liberating the slaves and having them take over the place (and having a much needed rest), I left the inn and got assaulted and REKT by some bandits and I decided to stop playing for the night. Aw shit.

I'm tempted to start a "PLS HELP ME ENJOY BALDUR'S GATE 2 FOR A NOOB" thread about asking for certain tips and non-spoiler advice, but I'm still pondering that. I'm having fun, though. And Jaheira's "you sound like you were dropped as a child. Or kicked" was HILARIOUS.

I would expect that if an abuser wanted to get PIF / Mega Givers eligiblity, they'd just spam bundle games. If they wanted to do so undetected, they'd spam bundle games anonymously. I don't think most people are going to create elaborate hoaxes that they will 100% be caught on 6 months-a year from now in order to get a 1 in 50+ type chance at getting a game that costs $30 or whatever. I think most people value their GAF accounts more than $0.75 or so.

Are you saying that giving away a bunch of bundle games to get Mega Giver status is abuse, or just that abusers would do that (and then go on to do horrible things like selling wins)?

dmix90

Oh duh, didn't read far back enough :p

Not only the host need to use VPN, the 3 extra gifts are region locked too.
Actually are you sure about this? Looks like host buying 4-pack and activating it. Then he automatically activates Rise of Nations: Extended Edition GIFT(45471 sub) i assume this because that sub has "GrantPassesCount = 3". Which add 3 regular region free copies of the game to inventory. JaseC pls....

Momentary

Banned
30 games down for the 52 games for this year. Only 22 more games to go...

If I were to stop buying games right now and completed 52 games a year, it would take me around 19 years to complete my backlog. Screw it.

Copons

Are you saying that giving away a bunch of bundle games to get Mega Giver status is abuse, or just that abusers would do that (and then go on to do horrible things like selling wins)?

I guess he's saying that if someone wants to be eligible for PIF/megagiver, there are much easier and legit way to do that instead of actually abusing the system with fake keys or fake IOU.

Ryne

Personally, I will only do IOUs for games that are a few days away that don't have a pre-purchase option, like I did with The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (why can't I pre-purchase that by the way devs?).

I agree with Stump, doing an IOU giveaway months in advance is risky for me because I don't know where I'll be financially or physically months away. More power to the guys who are doing it, those are really great giveaways for major titles.

1. Ozium
2. Nightmare Trigger
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. ???
6. ???

Is that tonight? Fuck. I'll have to dropout, I'll be at my folks' place tonight

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

To be clear, I am emphatically not saying that giving away bundle games is abuse. I give away my bundle spares. The system is set up so that giveaways are giveaways, and I agree with that. I don't want to incentivize people having to spend large amounts of money to keep up with the Joneses, I don't think that's fair at all.

You have to read the context of the conversation. Saty came up with a hypothetical where some abuser would do a bunch of IOU giveaways they would later reneg on, and in the mean time use their giveaway status to win a bunch of giveaways they shouldn't have won. I don't think that hypothetical is likely, because they will definitely get caught in the end, and they'll have a very small chance of winning in the mean time. The easier way to get to MEGAGIVERs status would be to give away a bunch of bundle games; so there's not really any incentive to game the system through fake IOU giveaways. That's the context here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually are you sure about this? Looks like host buying 4-pack and activating it. Then he automatically activates Rise of Nations: Extended Edition GIFT(45471 sub) i assume this because that sub has "GrantPassesCount = 3". Which add 3 regular region free copies of the game to inventory. JaseC pls....

The gift sub also has ACRTAG disabled. If a ROW user "opening" a four-pack would render the gifts region-free you'd see this being taken advantage of on trading sites, but alas most people want 5 keys for a copy of the game.

Khronico

I should be available at that time.
Sign me up!

Is that tonight? Fuck. I'll have to dropout, I'll be at my folks' place tonight

No problem Nightmare, I know how that feels ha.

Ok update time

1. Ozium
2. Mozendo
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. SinineSiil(maybe? please confirm.)
6. ???

If everyone is fine with someone hosting from EU (SinineSiil) please pm me. If not that hosting job is still open. One final slot is still open!

What is this in Taiwan time? I think that is 11 AM Monday for me (if its sunday for you).
Yeah I think so

dmix90

The gift sub also has ACRTAG disabled. If a ROW user "opening" a four-pack would render the gifts region-free you'd see this being taken advantage of on trading sites, but alas most people want 5 keys for a copy of the game.
Well i don't want to test it to be absolutely sure. Will just agree that i screwed up then. Thanks :)

Sarcasm

No problem Nightmare, I know how that feels ha.

Ok update time

1. Ozium
2. Mozendo
3. Khronico
4. corrosivefrost
5. SinineSiil(maybe? please confirm.)
6. ???

If everyone is fine with someone hosting from EU (SinineSiil) please pm me. If not that hosting job is still open. One final slot is still open!

Yeah I think so

I can go in. Hopefully I remember heh...

Double

Still up for grabs ;>

Figured I'm happy enough with League of Legends anyway and am not gonna play this most likely.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

strife-1024x576.jpg

Strife Closed Beta Key -- MB-A7D4F54316801C2C
You have to redeem it on https://strife.com/login#create

t1406467156z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom