• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Telltale games are only really playable on mobile devices imo. I couldn't even make it through TWD season 1 on pc, but I've played all the available chapters on my Nexus 5. Amusingly enough, the lack of interactivity actually benefits the game when you play it on a phone.

Agreed. This is why despite the slowdown present - the Vita has been my go-to for Telltale's stuff. The mix of touch controls + regular controls is absolutely perfect for the games.

That giveaway above looks... tainted?

After playing Back To The Future recently, i think playing it on a mobile device would have been a more enjoyable experience.

Aren't there time sensitive QTE's in TWD though? I have season 1 but i haven't played it.

There are, but they're easier to perform on the mobile device than they are with a controller or mouse. The mashing ones are a matter of tapping the screen rapidly, then swiping in a particular direction; and the ones where you need to target a particular point on the screen are much easier for obvious reasons, especially when compared with using an analogue stick.

jblank83

I'd argue that tapping the screen is no less than and ergonomically probably less efficient than tapping a button, that pushing a stick left is as efficient as swiping left, and that in a game without any twitch gameplay and all the time in the world, pointing at a spot really doesn't matter.

I've played through 3 seasons of Telltale's current game design on PC and have had zero problems with it. I can see why someone would prefer using a touchscreen, but ultimately it really doesn't matter, imo. It's really just preference.

Personally, if asked the question, "Which FPS would you most like to see turned into an episodic visual novel?" I would have chosen Wolfenstein TNO or Counter-strike.

Bioshock. Maybe something set before the events of Bioshock 1, where things were just starting to go to shit.

Turfster

Gamersgate is doing a 50% off Bethesda titles that only got a 25% off during Quakecon, including the Quake games.
Not everything is Steam(works) though, so check before buying.

Tellaerin

Speaking of dinosaurs i kind of legitimately want to see dinosaurs with feathers, I think they could still be threatening and also really cool, being in a video game you know you're going to burn them down with fire and shit and it'd look fucking awesome.

Something like this would look utterly badass, I think.

... which they are ... dude, chickens are damn scary!!!
(and tasty too :p)
O_O

I know I've said this before, but there's a reason for that. (The scary part, at least.)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played A Story About My Uncle for a few hours and I really like it. I figure there are people itching for first person platforming like Mirror's Edge? Well this is the game for you. I was also surprised at how challenging it got. I'm in the ice cavern now and there have been segments I had to retry several times.
Voice acting and character design is abysmal though, but luckily it's all about the action here.

Thinking about maybe making a thread for this game, with some gifs to show the gameplay. I feel like this got largely ignored.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gamersgate is doing a 50% off Bethesda titles that only got a 25% off during Quakecon, including the Quake games.
Not everything is Steam(works) though, so check before buying.

A QuakeCon sale with a decent discount on Quake games. I'm fairly certain this is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

BadRamen

Bullshit, lost a good 30 minutes of playtime in Breath of Death VII due to not saving. Ugh, guess I am not going to be beating this game...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let's say a game on Steam has a dash in its title.

Will putting a dash in the register request screw up modbot?

ModBot is smart enough to separate keys and game names.

So

Deus Ex: The Fall - Extreme Reload Nausea Simulator 2015: Deluxe Edition # This game sux lol - KEY1-GOES-HERE

will work exactly as intended.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot doesn't know what you're giving away. It has no way of knowing whether you're claiming you're giving away The Wheelman but actually just giving away an ASCII art picture of boobs.

Now that would be the greatest giveaway of all time.

How does Playfire work ?

You play and/or unlock achievements for games they list as having rewards. Do any of the things they ask you to do on this list for the current rewards.

Play a game for the first time = money
Unlock achievements for some games = more money

correct me if im wrong but aren't the episodes delayed for the mobile versions of the game? i would see that as a dealbreaker for a lot of people including me as i don't want to get spoiled

Yeah, they are slower. The latest chapter hasn't made it to Android yet, and that was after a massive delay with even releasing the games there. It doesn't bother me, but I don't find it hard to avoid spoilers so ymmv.

I'd argue that tapping the screen is no less than and ergonomically probably less efficient than tapping a button, that pushing a stick left is as efficient as swiping left, and that in a game without any twitch gameplay and all the time in the world, pointing at a spot really doesn't matter.

I've played through 3 seasons of Telltale's current game design on PC and have had zero problems with it. I can see why someone would prefer using a touchscreen, but ultimately it really doesn't matter, imo. It's really just preference.

b2yTa1E.gif

Grief.exe

I was running into some slowdowns on my laptop while playing TWAU.

Got through the first episode, my gf watched the whole thing and she loved it.

Momentary

Banned
Can't people just give away some games without being accused of doing it for selfish reasons?

There are people who do give away games out of being kind and because they have extras that they want to giveaway from a bundle, and then you have this shit that just got posted on this page anonymously. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's funny.

Spent several hours playing Guacamelee with the wife yesterday. Which is a rare occurrence for us. There just aren't that many games out there that really grab her attention. Don't Starve is one of them that has managed to completely enthrall her. If you look at my profile you'll notice that that game has 179 hours played and she's been responsible for most of that. Back to Guacamelee impressions: She and I both love the design and aesthetic of the game. The fighting in it is great fun as well. The only part we're not too fond of is the jumping bits. We are both terrible at those parts of the game so it can be a bit frustrating getting to the bits we like. But it's great fun in co-op!

Shadownet

Banned
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising -- MB-37D42CA7533D4D80
Medal of Honor #2 -- MB-F888AAD40516B4FB
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising #2 -- MB-8EE9160FE181E3B0 - Taken by rookiejet. 2 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising #2 -- MB-8EE9160FE181E3B0 - Taken by rookiejet. 2 entrants total.
NightSky -- MB-52816096450BBE20
Magicka + 2 DLC -- MB-81BD12CE254BF6D9
Desert Thunder -- MB-A145D5D71458DD47
Leviathan: Warships -- MB-3136E9F86E0BCEC9
Mirror's Edge #2 -- MB-2ACDC8232BD9F221
Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-21A5EBB001E4D1FD - Taken by Ventara. 6 entrants total.

Someone find them a good home! :)

Grief.exe

Spent several hours playing Guacamelee with the wife yesterday. Which is a rare occurrence for us. There just aren't that many games out there that really grab her attention. Don't Starve is one of them that has managed to completely enthrall her. If you look at my profile you'll notice that that game has 179 hours played and she's been responsible for most of that. Back to Guacamelee impressions: She and I both love the design and aesthetic of the game. The fighting in it is great fun as well. The only part we're not too fond of is the jumping bits. We are both terrible at those parts of the game so it can be a bit frustrating getting to the bits we like. But it's great fun in co-op!

There is a co-op patch coming to Don't Starve.

Caerith

There are people who do give away games out of being kind and because they have extras that they want to giveaway from a bundle, and then you have this shit that just got posted on this page anonymously. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's funny.
There's a lot of nice stuff in that "shit."

In an environment where every giveaway faces suspicion, exposure, and assumption of ulterior motives, like so:

It's tickling me seeing all these people "graciously" giving away all these games. Trying to get in on dat megagivers give away.

... then a lot of people who don't want to deal with this bullshit are either going to give stuff away anonymously or not at all.

r3n4ud

Thanks for posting this. Had no idea Guacamelee had coop lol. Have to try it out as I'm always on the hunt for more coop.

You log-in with Steam api, you check playfire rewards here:
http://blog.playfire.com/
you do achievements and they add credits to your GMG account.
Be aware that the system is a bit buggy.
You play and/or unlock achievements for games they list as having rewards. Do any of the things they ask you to do on this list for the current rewards.
Play a game for the first time = money
Unlock achievements for some games = more money
Thanks. Do I have to play the games or is it enough to idle for them in SAM? Not the achievements of course, only play for the first time unlocks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks. Do I have to play the games or is it enough to idle for them in SAM? Not the achievements of course, only play for the first time unlocks.

Idling is fine. Just be sure to do it for at least six minutes so your Community profile reports 0.1 hours played.

cluQylA.png

When we are playing: Estimate Time
t1406503800z4.png

Information said:
What is this?:
NeoGAF Games Night is a designated time where gaffers can play games together. This is a casual environment, players from all skill levels are welcome! Join the NeoGAF Games Night group to receive a notification through steam when an event has been scheduled and when it starts. PM anyone in the group for an invite.

What we are playing:
We will be playing DOTA 2, which ever game mode is most wanted.

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and in the main menu of DOTA2 look under the Play tab->Find a Lobby->Friend Lobbies.

Updated list

If anyone has the streaming capability who wants to cast that would be awesome. Come join us and have fun!

... then a lot of people who don't want to deal with this bullshit are either going to give stuff away anonymously or not at all.

That's sad. I have personally grabbed a few really good cheap bundle games from modbot giveaways. They would probably oftentimes go unused by the owner if not given away (as they are often spares). Kind of the main point of modbot, right?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I love all these game nights that's been popping up lately! Unfortunately I've been away or the game session has been in the middle of the night or something, but I'm definitely going to join in on the first occasion!

It's about time we started playing some games around here

maneil99

There's a lot of nice stuff in that "shit."

In an environment where every giveaway faces suspicion, exposure, and assumption of ulterior motives, like so:

So a spike in giveaways right after shadownets PiF and Megagiver's giveaway is just a coincidence?

Enco

I was gonna post about how Metal Gear Revengeance is amazing but HOLY FUCKING SHIT that blade wolf boss fight is the worst thing I've played in the past year.

Completely fucking ruins everything.

Seriously feel like uninstalling the game for that garbage.

Grief.exe

I was gonna post about how Metal Gear Revengeance is amazing but HOLY FUCKING SHIT that blade wolf boss fight is the worst thing I've played in the past year.

Forces you to learn the parry system. Very simple once you learn that.

Unless you are referring to the fight in the jetstream Sam dlc. That encounter is hard.

So a spike in giveaways right after shadownets PiF and Megagiver's giveaway is just a coincidence?

Of course not. But is it a bad thing and worth critizising?

The game just tells you to learn its systems or GTFO at that point. It plays a bit differently from other games, but once you understand the parry system it becomes glorious. It took me a few tries with long pauses in between attempts before the game clicked with me. Someone posted a great tutorial video here a while back whcih helped me a lot, but I don't have it anymore. Does anybody know which one I'm talkin about?

EDIT: This is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom