• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have to sort by negative reviews to get an actual, decent critique of a game, obviously there's something wrong with that review system. Valve needs to fix it.

On a somewhat related note, don't buy A Story About My Uncle if you don't want to fight with a junky physics engine.

It just seems every mediocre game gets a "thumbs up" rating on Steam. I wish they would have one where the thumb points left/right...

Yeah, but I can't play now, I'm packing for a trip.

Please pack for me too. Dont wanna do it this evening. Will miss China for this month when I am away, but I can finally eat Schnitzel, good sausages and other shit again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Please accept this image as a token of my (im)moral support.

morningbus_samsulez.png

Amazing. Thank you!

Stream is over for now. I am absolutely stunned that I can say I am looking forward to playing Serious Sam 3.

When you have to sort by negative reviews to get an actual, decent critique of a game, obviously there's something wrong with that review system. Valve needs to fix it.

On a somewhat related note, don't buy A Story About My Uncle if you don't want to fight with a junky physics engine.

The positive and negative reviews are generally very biased in their respective direction, so just downvote the ones that are cute/funny (just do it) or helpful, and downvote the useless ones. When enough people do the same, the system will work. Believe in crowd-sourcing. Believe in Valve.

Really, the easiest way to fix the system would be to make the perfect review for each game the moment it releases, because those are the ones that get the most votes since no one wants to trawl through 300 votes at 5 per tick to figure out the best review of the game.

just played Goat Simulator...
what did I just play lol

GAF poster reacts to GOAT SIMULATOR.

Hugstable

Banned
yeah ... why? is there something wrong with that? :p

I still admit that I hated Serious Sam 3 when I played it alone when I first got it. But today with 2 others it was a really enjoyable experience. Just gotta turn off your brain from the cheesy cutscenes haha.

Deitus

I still admit that I hated Serious Sam 3 when I played it alone when I first got it. But today with 2 others it was a really enjoyable experience. Just gotta turn off your brain from the cheesy cutscenes haha.

Yeah, I've never played it alone, and I probably never would. It's fun in co-op though, except for a few frustrating moments.

It just seems every mediocre game gets a "thumbs up" rating on Steam. I wish they would have one where the thumb points left/right...

Yeah, it's not enough to have thumbs up/down. Even rating with stars would be better. Thumbs up/down are just too different, and just can't account for different criteria. I can recommend a game with a great story, but bad gameplay, and I'm forced to choose which of those aspects to rate the game overall with, and that's just plain stupid.

morningbus

guys, guys ... listen up :p we've just spent the past 2 hours (me, Huggy and Frosty) playing Serious Sam 3 ... holy cow - this game is AMAZING (and pretty too :p) ... seriously - do any of you want to join us tomorrow for another session?

wanna see just how fun this game is? well - watch this stream :) spoiler:
it's AWESOME!!! :D

I'll be streaming Serious Sam 3 in about two or three days, so we can let the people decide.

jblank83

The reasons you like Serious Sam are the reasons I can't play most modern shooting games. They're too boring. Eff iron sights. Just let me blast things.

Shadownet

Banned
Counter Strike Global Offensive.
(If I get more than 5 we'll do casual. If I get 5, I'm okay with casual or competitive.)
Anyone?

1. Shadownet

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The reasons you like Serious Sam are the reasons I can't play most modern shooting games. They're too boring. Eff iron sights. Just let me blast things.

I used iron sights in this game twice ... just to see how it looks for a few seconds :p and that was it :D

Hugstable

Banned
Playing the Ace Combat Assault Horizon right now and I have no clue what I'm doing. First Ace Combat game I've ever played and probably my only dogfighting game I've ever played outside of something like Star Fox. I'm gonna suck in this game but it's so pretty!

you played CSGO on your date?

That Lan Cafe date haha.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Playing the Ace Combat Assault Horizon right now and I have no clue what I'm doing. First Ace Combat game I've ever played and probably my only dogfighting game I've ever played outside of something like Star Fox. I'm gonna suck in this game but it's so pretty!

What part is confusing?

wilflare

Did you make it into the Anti Gravity Room? I played the game for like 25 minutes, found the antigravity room and felt I found everything cool in the game besides going and goat tounging everything.

yea. I think I found everything... even getting into space? ><
and seeing that Master Chief esque dude running across space

lol was thinking of getting all the Missions and Achievements but lol

thanks nbnt for Goat Simulator :D

Mokoi

Banned

Make sure to change controls to original. The automatic auto leveling when braking is a shit feature.

Hugstable

Banned
What part is confusing?

Does it play better on keyboard or controller. I just started up the campaign and it throws you right into the battle and I'm still trying to figure out how to play haha. Using keyboard controls for right now.

Make sure to change controls to original. The automatic auto leveling when braking is a shit feature.

Ohh yeah you mentioned that to me earlier, gonna switch it up now.

Concursion isn't all that bad actually. It kinda reminds me of one of those somehow good games you could accidentally stumble upon when browsing the Indie Games section on Xbox Live. It has better box art though.

Game looks hideous, the controls are way too loose and every genre they throw in there they do a half-assed job with. Together it all works surprisingly well and after a slow start it quickly becomes rather engaging when they start to mix all the different pieces together. I'm definitely having a fun time collecting all those green gems that are scattered across the levels.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dirtywhirlwind, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Concursion -- MB-FE07EA69CCC2C5CD - Taken by bobnowhere. 13 entrants total.

t1406530599z1.png

Does it play better on keyboard or controller. I just started up the campaign and it throws you right into the battle and I'm still trying to figure out how to play haha. Using keyboard controls for right now.

Ohh yeah you mentioned that to me earlier, gonna switch it up now.

you need to use a controller to play the game

I tried for a few minutes with keyboard and it was awful and found it better with a controller

oipic

image.php

This confused me.

I hereby strongly suggest that morningbus be encouraged, via old-fashioned peer group pressure, to retain this spiffing new avatar until such time as all related credits have expired and/or been consumed.

I took her out to dinner, a really nice fusion asian restaurant, we talked a lot, stayed there longer than we thought and ended up going home instead of the movie since she had to work early tomorrow.

Nice! Glad all went well, Shadow.

morningbus

I'm not really sure what the redeeming qualities of the Serious Sam series are.

Every defense of the game makes me think people are confused and are accidentally playing this:

awzILKR.jpg

Which is basically the pinnacle of Serious Sam's game design.

I hereby strongly suggest that morningbus be encouraged, via old-fashioned peer group pressure, to retain this spiffing new avatar until such time as all related credits have expired and/or been consumed.

Here's the deal: I'll keep this avatar for a year if the credits get applied to my account. If this scam doesn't work then all bets are off.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Airplane sequences control much better with a controller, but the turrent sections are much easier with a mouse. Concerning the Helicopter sequences, I'm not as versed as I haven't tried a mouse & keyboard run.

Shadownet

Banned
OT:

I told my date what I did on my birthday on GAF and she was impressed. She's a gamer too.

Think I scored some brownies points. ^_^ I even told her about my crush on Elizabeth. She doesnt seem to mind at all, we had a good laugh about it haha.

---------------------------------

I just watched the Flash tv series promo on youtube. I cannot wait for that show. It's a shame Smallville didn't have a budget like Arrow or the Flash. It was one of my favorite shows ever, and it was really limited by the CGI budget.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of oupi, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (oupi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-A1EAB9BCE55AC495 - Taken by freshVeggie. 22 entrants total.

t1406564257z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fuzzification, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Astebreed -- MB-C3E72701BBB87733 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 60 entrants total.
Darkwood -- MB-EB06451A808B0A8A - Taken by Corpekata. 41 entrants total.
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon -- MB-DDCFE142DD4FAC7D - Taken by someguyinahat. 18 entrants total.
Ikaruga -- MB-9354FB2767EB3DAB - Taken by Toki767. 47 entrants total.
Danmaku Unlimited 2 -- MB-630D70EEE411C6F2 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 12 entrants total.
Shovel Knight -- MB-EB35C065B646CC51 - Taken by almostheathen. 84 entrants total.
Vector -- MB-C0136A1CE2D59B08 - Taken by MTE. 9 entrants total.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge -- MB-67599A6451A9BBA5 - Taken by mannerbot. 49 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover World Ignition -- MB-9FFC64D7F4CDAED4 - Taken by Rhaknar. 31 entrants total.

t1406531378z1.png
Because I love you.

Deitus

I had a lot of fun playing with SteamGAF this weekend. I'll have to do this more often.

OT:

I told my date what I did on my birthday on GAF and she was impressed. She's a gamer too.

Think I scored some brownies points. ^_^ I even told her about my crush on Elizabeth. She doesnt seem to mind at all, we had a good laugh about it haha.

Nice, glad it went so well for you. Sounds like you found a real catch there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom