• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

I hate you. Congratulations! I know that feel when you wake up or log on to a random gift. feelsgoodman

Congrats! :D Can't believe how generous Fuzzi is.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was surprised at him just doing his own random giveaway like that. Very generous of him.

I just like the dude's taste in games. The man's giveaways are either games i own or games on my wishlist. I wonder if the inverse is true...

lol, maybe I should be checking what games you haven since he doesn't have a wishlist.

should I turn on Screen Space Reflection on Divinity OS?
what does that button do?

Thanks Fuzz - you really made my day :O

You got it, too! That's crazy! I know both you and Marco have been trying for as long as I have, if not longer, to win this game. Congrats!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Fuzzification, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fuzzification, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Astebreed -- MB-C3E72701BBB87733 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 60 entrants total.
Darkwood -- MB-EB06451A808B0A8A - Taken by Corpekata. 41 entrants total.
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon -- MB-DDCFE142DD4FAC7D - Taken by someguyinahat. 18 entrants total.
Ikaruga -- MB-9354FB2767EB3DAB - Taken by Toki767. 47 entrants total.
Danmaku Unlimited 2 -- MB-630D70EEE411C6F2 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 12 entrants total.
Shovel Knight -- MB-EB35C065B646CC51 - Taken by almostheathen. 84 entrants total.
Vector -- MB-C0136A1CE2D59B08 - Taken by MTE. 9 entrants total.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge -- MB-67599A6451A9BBA5 - Taken by mannerbot. 49 entrants total.
Crimzon Clover World Ignition -- MB-9FFC64D7F4CDAED4 - Taken by Rhaknar. 31 entrants total.

t1406531378z1.png

I've just beaten Rajani in Dungeon Siege III..sheesh, that was a close call! My companion had to revive me twice, very useful feature.
Loving the game so far.

Glad you like it. :3
When another GAFer hands you lemons, you take those things and gift them to Yakkue... cause she loves lemons! <3

edit: also Fuzz isnt amazing at all, he cant take a gift without going into panic mode, quite annoying in fact!

Must just be some hangup he has with you... I sent him something the other night and there was not a single bit of drama around the gifting.

that's Fuzzi for you :) one of the most awesome, kind and generous people I've ever gotten to know ... he's DA MAN!! :)

hey, don't try to pin that on me ... YOU had that on your wishlist, you dirty perv you!! :p

Errr. I'm pretty sure you're not sleep-posting, sir.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was surprised at him just doing his own random giveaway like that. Very generous of him.

lol, maybe I should be checking what games you haven since he doesn't have a wishlist.

You just need to know Fuzzi well enough to know his tastes. :p

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

So it's agreed? We all gift him at midnight!

You're not supposed to gift Fuzzi ... we've talked about the end of GAF, and it all starts when Fuzzi is given a gift that breaks the proverbial "camel's back".

Knurek

Wrapped up Telltale's Back to the Future yesterday.
It really was a secret, fourth movie in the franchise. Right down to the inevitable cliffhanger at the end (argh!).
Not as funny as Sam & Max games are, but for people who enjoyed the movies (and seriously, were there people who didn't enjoy them?) it'll be a lovely way to spend 12 hours or so.

Wrapped up Telltale's Back to the Future yesterday.
It really was a secret, fourth movie in the franchise. Right down to the inevitable cliffhanger at the end (argh!).
Not as funny as Sam & Max games are, but for people who enjoyed the movies (and seriously, were there people who didn't enjoy them?) it'll be a lovely way to spend 12 hours or so.

Good to know, I need to install and play that then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
should I turn on Screen Space Reflection on Divinity OS?
what does that button do?

Thanks Fuzz - you really made my day :O

Screen-space reflections is a setting that refers to reflective surfaces (e.g. water) accurately reproducing their surrounding environment as opposed to this being faked with a texture (Watch Dogs is a hilarious example of this) or absent entirely. Due to how the effect works it can be a bit of a performance hog.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Forgot to update on Halfway. about 5-6 hours in, no idea how long I have left, game has actually gotten a wee bit harder lately, still easy, except for this side mission im stuck on now that ive tried like 4 times now >_> Stupid thing is hard as shit, I need grenades and I cant afford any because I bought a bunch of medkits lol.

Lack of enemy variety is still a shame, but I really like the game in a "my first xcom" kind of way.

edit: holy shit someone just actually said "you what mate?" to me. That was amazing :eek:

WARNING:
This webm contains a massive amount of spoilers from Yaiba -- it's the first half in chapter 5, which is a BIG boss encounter and the reveal of what caused the zombie outbreak in the game. If you somehow care about story spoilers for Yaiba, maybe you should skip it. Or at least skip out of watching once you see me get a grade for the encounter as there's a cutscene of epic proportions followed by a comic book story scene.

That said...

Don't trip on any of your ribbons, I'm coming for ya...

Protip: download the 88mb file for a better audio/visual experience.

maneil99

Forgot to update on Halfway. about 5-6 hours in, no idea how long I have left, game has actually gotten a wee bit harder lately, still easy, except for this side mission im stuck on now that ive tried like 4 times now >_> Stupid thing is hard as shit, I need grenades and I cant afford any because I bought a bunch of medkits lol.

Lack of enemy variety is still a shame, but I really like the game in a "my first xcom" kind of way.

edit: holy shit someone just actually said "you what mate?" to me. That was amazing :eek:
Please try xenonauts

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Please try xenonauts

yeah Its on my to buy list, just not on my "full price" to buy list

I also would like to replay xcom with the enemy within stuff, but replaying games when I have so much shit to play isnt exactly a priority

unless its Marvel Heroes or WOW >_> Actually to be fair im not coming back to either until theres new stuff for both

edit: what did you need anyway MarcoAvatarThief? Im heading home soon, if its to get oiled up, Ill play some later tonight but not when I get home

Some early impressions of The Chaos Engine, which I won from generous GAFer Lain:

It's apparently a "remastered" edition of an old Amiga game. I have not played the original version!

This reminds me a lot of the old NES/Arcade game Ikari Warriors - not the setting, necessarily, but more the gameplay style. Like Ikari, it's important to have two players. However, if you have to play solo, the CPU will control your partner. That seemed a bit cheesy and off-putting to me at first, but trust me, you'll soon be thankful for the help!

The Chaos Engine a very hard, unforgiving, old-school shooter (not to be confused with a shoot-em-up). The modern gamer in me wishes this had twin stick controls. Instead, you can only shoot in eight directions, and it's done with a button.

The graphics have an appealing retro vibe to them. There is a smoothing option, but I prefer to leave it off, as it makes the game look too "waxy."

The sound effects are either muted or non-existent. The music dominates. I wish there was more "oomph" to the sound, but to be honest, you'll be too busy shooting and trying to survive to really notice after a few minutes.

I am still very early in the game (Stage 1-3), but I like what I've played so far. You can continue where you left off if you die, but considering that you resume with whatever life and health you had left, it's almost better to just start over from the beginning each time.

This may not be Volgarr the Viking in terms of difficulty, but it's certainly not for weaklings. I wish there was a secret 30-man code that would give me extra lives. :)

For the few of you who may be familiar with me, you already know that I have a certain affinity for games that tickle my nostalgia bone, so read these impressions with that in mind.

Anustart

Well, its official. Controller instead of keyboard = dead Neo Khidr. Played rogue legacy a ton before getting my controller, got to new game +5 with keyboard but could barely scratch nk. This pad made all the difference. Trying to utilize 5 abilities on the keyboard quickly and accurately was beyond me.

Now to try the other bosses.

I can enjoy other games to a higher degree now as well. Even though I 100%d super meat boy on keyboard, revisiting with a controller is a joy.

But most importantly, my daughter is able to play better now too. She's 9 and cleared almost all the levels up to end of salt factory. And you know shits about to go down when she's driving around in sleeping dogs and says to me "its about to get messy"

wilflare

thanks JaseC for the explanation!
it's been awhile since I last played a game like Divinity (the last one was like NWN.. the first game)

(I did try Dragon Age 1... but didn't like it for some strange reason)

and with downsampling, this game looks awesome!
(only need to find a way to get the Steam Overlay to work properly w downsampling)

redlacs

woke up, refreshed the page and saw this

Divinity: Original Sin - Taken by redlacs. 56 entrants total

Well congratulations redlacs and thank you everyone that entered. Hopefully you'll be encouraged to post here more often and hopefully we'll start to see some more Juniors Only giveaways in the future.

then this happened

giphy.gif

no matter what modbot tells about thanking in thread - i have to thank you here as well Dr Dogg, people must know youre awesome!

im sure i will enjoy the hell out of it but it will be also one tough cookie in terms of getting all achievements. seems like the rarest one was only unlocked by 0.1% of players so far. challenge accepted! installing right now and will jump into it in few hours. to divinity and beyond!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some leftovers with a special guest appearance by Stronghold Crusader HD:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Stronghold Crusader HD -- MB-EDDC3CBB1A7BBF33 - Taken by HalfwayOrb
Subject 9 -- MB-1B94C03B85F4DF0D - Taken by anastef
Company of Heroes 2 DLC x4 -- MB-BD513A9822C79B4C - Taken by Driw3r
Total War: Rome II: Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack -- MB-F4940ABB2F338344
CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect -- MB-D28D08DA10824C84 - Taken by drakaenae
Konung 2 -- MB-29EC39D59B2AF31F - Taken by Anustart
Marine Sharpshooter II : Jungle Warfare -- MB-EDD05BCFC03AFB19 - Taken by factorone
Making History II: The War of the World -- MB-05B5CD85040452D6 - Taken by xeris

wilflare

Toki767 you lucky :O :O
some really solid wins in 24hours :O

Ikaruga + Shadownet's (I can't remember which you won but it was a good one too!)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Meant to post this earlier, but I decided to check out some of the steam reviews for Gods Will Be Watching.

GbEsJGQ.png

Words cannot describe how much I hate the phrase "it's (like) the Dark Souls of _____."

I try but most people dont so whats the point? back to avatar quoting my way to community, at least I have Man Puncher's amazing avatar to use

I think the fact that we haven't reached July 2014-4 yet is a good thing. Maybe we'll only reach August 2014-2 next month.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how many posts ModBot ends up reaching by the end of this thread. It feels like giveaway reminder posts have skyrocketed recently. I also think that we all could do a better job at combining posts into one. That way it's one massive wall of text instead of several mini posts :p

The off topic stuff has reached the point where it's impossible to stop, but I did notice a rise of posting impressions after Gods Will Be Watching released, so there's still hope for the community. As long as a few people still try, the thread will survive.

I'm going to have to buy Darkwood, aren't I?

Probably. It looks pretty good. Maybe it'll be what I wanted Motte Island to be. I should get around to playing that since I got it in a bundle, but Dusk Golem's impressions kind of made me hold off on actually playing it.

Speevy

Banned
There's a special kind of Steam person who's up at this hour.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition -- MB-599B400F44DB3F2F - Taken by SinineSiil. 34 entrants total.

t1406542899z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Meant to post this earlier, but I decided to check out some of the steam reviews for Gods Will Be Watching.

GbEsJGQ.png

Words cannot describe how much I hate the phrase "it's (like) the Dark Souls of _____."

rap game dark souls

By the by, if anyone's still interested in my full thoughts on Gods Will Be Watching my review will be live tomorrow, so I can share it then.

Probably. It looks pretty good. Maybe it'll be what I wanted Motte Island to be. I should get around to playing that since I got it in a bundle, but Dusk Golem's impressions kind of made me hold off on actually playing it.

I love the look of it a lot, so I keep trying my luck on the modbot entries but alas the RNG is a cruel mistress, as GWBW has shown me.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

GbEsJGQ.png

I think the fact that we haven't reached July 2014-4 yet is a good thing. Maybe we'll only reach August 2014-2 next month.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how many posts ModBot ends up reaching by the end of this thread. It feels like giveaway reminder posts have skyrocketed recently. I also think that we all could do a better job at combining posts into one. That way it's one massive wall of text instead of several mini posts :p

The off topic stuff has reached the point were it's impossible to stop, but I did notice a rise of posting impressions after Gods Will Be Watching released, so there's still hope for the community.

I still don't know if TGWBW is a good if flawed game or if it is a bad game that showed promise during previews. All the impressions suddenly turned into a metaphysical critique of the steam review population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom