• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is Abyss Odyssey fun in single player? I'm waiting until they fix the co-op save issue before I plan to enter the abyss again, but I'm itching to play some more of it sooner then that.
i've only played it in singleplayer and yea once you get around understanding how cancels work it's really fun

i've beaten it around ten times already

I haven't played Deus Ex: Human Revolution! Everyone's been reccomending it to me since it came out since I'm a big sci-fi fan, but I always thought it was one of those online-only CoD type games. I guess it's more stealth, though?

It's single-player only, you can play it as a shooter or a stealth game, it has RPG elements, and it's twenty hours long.

Caerith

Correct, it won't pick up on any edited giveaway syntax.

In addition, you don't tell it when to repost--for 3 hour giveaways it reposts once (after 2 hours, 1 hour remaining). For 24 hour giveaways, it reposts twice (after 12 hours / half way; and then after 23 hours, 1 hour remaining). This seemed like a fair compromise to me and people don't like it they can not use it, but I think it's a good balance between etiquette and not spamming vs getting attention for your giveaways.

The timing seems reasonable. Is reposting going to be automatic and mandatory, or opt-in/opt-out? Will it still repost if the giveaway is never published in the thread (like, if someone PMs the MB codes to a select group of people for, like, a secret giveaway)?

Thought it was time to start on Metro: Last Light, but wanted to 100% 2033 first.

This Explorer achievement is driving me bananas. Check every single room? There's only so much of the Metro that I feel like looking at for what has to be my 6th + time through the game. What's worse, the ranger hardcore run I just did didn't count because I reloaded an earlier level to check something. Guess I'll do that again afterwards. :l

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The timing seems reasonable. Is reposting going to be automatic and mandatory, or opt-in/opt-out? Will it still repost if the giveaway is never published in the thread (like, if someone PMs the MB codes to a select group of people for, like, a secret giveaway)?

Opt-in only, it'll be a rule. And as for the latter, yes, ModBot doesn't know if you've posted the giveaway or not. So if you are planning on doing a giveaway in private, then don't opt-in. Which makes sense, because why would you want automatic re-posting if you don't have posting at all?

Caerith

Opt-in only, it'll be a rule. And as for the latter, yes, ModBot doesn't know if you've posted the giveaway or not. So if you are planning on doing a giveaway in private, then don't opt-in. Which makes sense, because why would you want automatic re-posting if you don't have posting at all?

Makes sense. So anyone choosing to edit giveaway syntax would have to bump the giveaway on their own if they wanted it to stay the same.

i've only played it in singleplayer and yea once you get around understanding how cancels work it's really fun

i've beaten it around ten times already
Yeah, sure, I know how to play it. I've played a couple of hours already with a friend but since his progress (I'm hosting, yay) doesn't save we have been putting it off until they issue a fix for it.

I have enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but I can't help to think that it just doesn't work as well as a single player title. Not that it's especially designed around two players, it isn't, but it can be a bit repetitive, I think, so it's fun to have someone to talk to at the same time, I suppose.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thought it was time to start on Metro: Last Light, but wanted to 100% 2033 first.

This Explorer achievement is driving me bananas. Check every single room? There's only so much of the Metro that I feel like looking at for what has to be my 6th + time through the game. What's worse, the ranger hardcore run I just did didn't count because I reloaded an earlier level to check something. Guess I'll do that again afterwards. :l
That is some insane patience you have. Both games would have benefitted from much better achievement tracking.

Elija2

Correct, it won't pick up on any edited giveaway syntax.

In addition, you don't tell it when to repost--for 3 hour giveaways it reposts once (after 2 hours, 1 hour remaining). For 24 hour giveaways, it reposts twice (after 12 hours / half way; and then after 23 hours, 1 hour remaining). This seemed like a fair compromise to me and people don't like it they can not use it, but I think it's a good balance between etiquette and not spamming vs getting attention for your giveaways.

Will it work in non-Steam threads? And if so, will it still post even if the giveaway is the last post in the thread (nobody has posted in the thread since the giveaway was last posted)?

Turfster

Dammit Ubisoft.
I kinda want to get Splinter Cell Blacklist now with the Humblestore discount, but I really don't want to get the Uplay version because of your shitty client that downloads data in random places instead of the nice fixed dir the Steam version gets downloaded to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Will it work in non-Steam threads? And if so, will it still post even if the giveaway is the last post in the thread (nobody has posted in the thread since the giveaway was last posted)?

Right now it disables the rule if it's a non-Steam thread, but long-term this is something I could look into.

Lain

Everyone hates the Little Sister who is the main female. She's a character who deserves to be bayoneted.

But I don't. I'm even a proud member of the Kirino Defense Force. We're not many, but we can be ruthless!

I was hoping to see some good Quake discounts to pop up today together with the elder Scrolls ones, disappointed it didn't.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is Abyss Odyssey fun in single player? I'm waiting until they fix the co-op save issue before I plan to enter the abyss again, but I'm itching to play some more of it sooner then that.

My 30 hours of play have been singleplayer and messing around on training mode. Its fun alone but if you wanna get on the leaderboards wait for them to fix that.

Man, I'm really struggling to enjoy Abyss Odyssey. Seems like a decent setup for an interesting game, but the combat just feels totally wonky. It has a similar style to Smash Bros, yes, but I mostly feel like I'm fighting the controls rather than the enemies. Sometimes I'll be standing there like a dumbass, nothing happening when I push buttons, sometimes things will actually happen but slower than it feels like they ought to. I dunno.

You know how people praise games with great controls by saying "if you die, you know it's your fault"? I feel the opposite about this game.

And because the game is centered around its combat, this is kind of make or break for the game as a whole. Eh.

Anyone else having this experience? Is it just me? Is there something fundamental about the game I'm misunderstanding?

You need to learn more about the cancel points and get those as early as you can. I have never had issues with getting my commands in the game so IDK whats wrong on your end and I find the game actually of an ok difficulty. The turning has been tweaked already so I havent really had any errors with turning as late. If you are attacking and try to turn make sure the attack animation is over before trying to do the jumps or attacks in the other direction.

I hope they add a side special move on a future update so I can have 4 specials to wreck more shit in the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, sure, I know how to play it. I've played a couple of hours already with a friend but since his progress (I'm hosting, yay) doesn't save we have been putting it off until they issue a fix for it.

I have enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but I can't help to think that it just doesn't work as well as a single player title. Not that it's especially designed around two players, it isn't, but it can be a bit repetitive, I think, so it's fun to have someone to talk to at the same time, I suppose.
sure, i don't find it as fun as i initially did but you know trying to pokemon all the enemies and getting the achievements with some music makes for a cool time waster

i wish there was more meaty content, really, that'd really make it a complete, excellent game

Elija2

If you guys could reccomend me one FPS game to make me like FPS games, which would you pick?

I haven't played very many of them. I really liked Borderlands because I'm a treasure hoarder and that game is all about finding treasure. But I didn't like how random the drops were; I was rather unlucky with that.

Does Portal count? I also like Portal!

Have you played Left 4 Dead 1 or 2? They're mainly multiplayer games but you can play the campaigns offline with AI partners and it's still fun.

Caerith

Maybe she uses bing?
You think she stopped googling herself after safesearch became mandatory? That would say a lot about her.

Have you played Left 4 Dead 1 or 2? They're mainly multiplayer games but you can play the campaigns offline with AI partners and it's still fun.

I played both Left 4 Dead games with AI only, and it's pretty adequate for anything but knowing how to use pipes and molotovs.

Strazyplus

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Strazyplus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) --nobody wannted mee!
vRvbDCu.png
Battlefield 3 (Origin) -- MB-44C6DBACE30B9FFC - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-5FC73E7E343F9037 - Taken by NEO0MJ. 6 entrants total.
Saints Row: The Third -- MB-B7F79371E6835145 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 10 entrants total.

t1405918588z1.png

GO AT IT!
However take heed, this is my first giveaway and I am 99% sure I havent used these keys & that they will work!. if not SORRY!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Wait what? Is the online broken or something?

Looks like a beta, the game's functionality is worse in every aspect compared to the GFWL version. Online is the worst, delays, pauses, terrible overall, it used to work great. As far as I'm concerned this was probably the only good implementation of GFWL in any game ever, I hope they fix it but I don't think they will, I don't think they can really.

That is some insane patience you have. Both games would have benefitted from much better achievement tracking.

Patience tempered with short bouts of extreme anger.

God damn if Last Light tracks as terribly as Metro does, I'm gonna have a bad time playing it. I shouldn't even read the achievement list before I start.

for new page

ModBot[/url] with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Deponia: The complete Journey -- MB-5596E4C6C4077D77 - Taken by Mono. 52 entrants total.

t1405910373z1.png

L.O.R.D

Operation Flashpoint: Red River -- MB-1C2216E90A52143D - Taken by Stallion Free. 5 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-C52228A68A2A94C3 - Taken by salazar547. 47 entrants total.
Overlord and Raising Hell DLC -- MB-5FD8F8952AED14BC - Taken by billmcdougal. 3 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint -- MB-A116A037A68B5DCE - Taken by Deadbeat. 3 entrants total.
Rise of the Argonauts -- MB-54601C75B24597A7 - Taken by Dambrosi. 2 entrants total.
so , what was the Mystery Game ?
no one take the last game ?
only 3 was interested in overlord ?

Coreda

Is it worth considering a DS4 or Xbone controller for the PC? I have a wired previous gen Xbox controller which barely gets much use due to the cord, so was thinking a newer wireless version might be a good start as increasingly more games I'm picking up work better with a controller.

L.O.R.D

Is it worth considering a DS4 or Xbone controller for the PC? I have a wired previous gen Xbox controller which barely gets much use due to the cord, so was thinking a newer wireless version might be a good start as increasingly more games I'm picking up work better with a controller.

if you want a wireless,why didn't you pick the receiver for xbox 360 ?

Coreda

Originally? It was years ago and at the time the wired version had better support for various features IIRC. Mainly a KB/M user anyway, but thought a new controller may be worthwhile.

dot

I put all my points in charisma, baby

GJ17vQA.jpg

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Looks like a beta, the game's functionality is worse in every aspect compared to the GFWL version. Online is the worst, delays, pauses, terrible overall, it used to work great. As far as I'm concerned this was probably the only good implementation of GFWL in any game ever, I hope they fix it but I don't think they will, I don't think they can really.

Ah dang. That sucks. :/ Maybe they'll patch it again when Ultra is out in August?

Strazyplus

New page so soon... reposting the giveaway!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Strazyplus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- NOBODY WANTED ME!
vRvbDCu.png
Battlefield 3 (Origin) -- MB-44C6DBACE30B9FFC - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-5FC73E7E343F9037 - Taken by NEO0MJ. 6 entrants total.
Saints Row: The Third -- MB-B7F79371E6835145 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 10 entrants total.

t1405918588z1.png

L.O.R.D

Originally? It was years ago and at the time the wired version had better support for various features IIRC. Mainly a KB/M user anyway, but thought a new controller may be worthwhile.

right now , the XB1 is wired only
i think you can use the PS4 controller via Bluetooth

actually its not him lol. someone else.

only if he get me a date with Elizabeth.

Hmm, well, the next two 'EVERYTHING' having GAFers in here are Jshackles and Rhaknar. Both have wishlists I believe. Or you could just make a donation to the ES support fund.

It's actually quite easy to gift the Koalaking, because all that matters to him is him not owning it, where in other cases you have to worry about at least a little quality (hopefully)

or you can be me and get gifted 4PM, which after playing it, I now wonder if it was a gift of hatred >_>

That's true, actually.
And someone gifting you something out of hatred? I'd believe it. It's why you gifted me Dark, after all, isn't it? :p

Does an x360 wired controller even work with the wireless receiver? I thought you needed a x360 wireless controller for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom