• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

If you guys could reccomend me one FPS game to make me like FPS games, which would you pick?

I haven't played very many of them. I really liked Borderlands because I'm a treasure hoarder and that game is all about finding treasure. But I didn't like how random the drops were; I was rather unlucky with that.

Does Portal count? I also like Portal!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
If you guys could reccomend me one FPS game to make me like FPS games, which would you pick?

I haven't played very many of them. I really liked Borderlands because I'm a treasure hoarder and that game is all about finding treasure. But I didn't like how random the drops were; I was rather unlucky with that.

Wolfenstein: TNO

some games i found on my humble bundle account
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

VVVVVV -- MB-A328F9CBD1BDC1E7 - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 3 entrants total.
Hammerwatch -- MB-1BA0C33900C1AED8 - Taken by wilflare. 15 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-F1C9A18EB61B5FB8

t1405914386z1.png

Turfster

Hm. What are you looking for, exactly?
Do you just want to shoot many people, do you want to stealth, do you want a good story?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Does it have to be a straight up first person shooter, or could it be a game from the first person perspective with some shooter elements?

Because if the latter is an option, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you just want a straight up FPS, go with Wolfenstein: The New Order, most people really like it.

I love stealth games and games with good stories!

Have you played DX: HR yet? Because if not, play DX:HR.

Hugstable

Banned
The DLC is a lot of fun! If you don't want to get all the DLC at once, Dragonborn adds a new continent (in Morrowind!) with a bunch of fun content, Hearthfire just adds houses you can build in Skyrim, and Dawnguard adds a long new quest line to Skyrim, as well as the vampire lord transformation thing and crossbows.

Woah what part of Morrowind does it contain?! I'm gonna pick up Dragonborn later for sure then! I love Morrowind so much how did I not know that Dragonborn takes in place in Morrowind. After seeing Marco working on Morrowind mods all day I was thinking about trying to mod it myself sometime soon to get a great looking Morrowind experience.

Woah what part of Morrowind does it contain?! I'm gonna pick up Dragonborn later for sure then! I love Morrowind so much how did I not know that Dragonborn takes in place in Morrowind. After seeing Marco working on Morrowind mods all day I was thinking about trying to mod it myself sometime soon to get a great looking Morrowind experience.
Solstheim

Mono

BioShock for sure.

I'm about halfway through Bioshock
(a bit after those bloody corpses in Andrew Ryan's office(?) randomly decide that they're not dead anymore and scare you!)
and I love it; forgot to mention this one! Only, I'm sparingly using the shotgun and murdering everything with the wrench like a melee beat-em-up, lol.

I think I lost my save file for this, though. :X I was playing it with family sharing, and then I uninstalled my friend's copy when I got a copy of my own through the Humble Bundle.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm about halfway through Bioshock
(a bit after those bloody corpses in Andrew Ryan's office(?) randomly decide that they're not dead anymore and scare you!)
and I love it; forgot to mention this one! Only, I'm sparingly using the shotgun and murdering everything with the wrench like a melee beat-em-up, lol.

I think I lost my save file for this, though. :X I was playing it with family sharing, and then I uninstalled my friend's copy when I got a copy of my own through the Humble Bundle.

Have you done Skyrim or the Fallouts? Those games are all about stealth and hoarding.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is probably the best, most satisfying FPS I've played in years. I would like to think that people who don't like FPS games could appreciate it for the fun fest that it is.

Better bets are probably hybrid genre games though.

Haunted

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good recommendation based on that description.

FPS games with good stealth are rare. Crysis might be one. Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay another.

Mono

The island of Solstheim, where Bloodmoon takes place!!

I had no idea either, I was so excited when I found out in-game. People always fail to mention that the expansion takes place in Morrowind!! You'd think that would be a huge selling point.

Turfster

Well, for stealth:
There's the classic thief trilogy, with thief 2 as the best of the bunch, but you've probably already played these (if not, you don't know what you've been missing ;). No, there is no 4.
Then there's the Deus Ex franchise (avoid The Fall, and Invisible War is very much the weakest of the three main games, having been console-chopped). The original still holds up as a masterpiece, and DX:HR is a worthy entry into the franchise.
Dishonored is also a pretty fun stealth game, which you can turn into a murder sim if you want.
System Shock 2 is unique and not technically stealth, but would leave you spoiled for every other FPS game after that ;)
The Chronicles of Riddick aren't bad, but the Steam copy has crappy TAGES DRM, so if you want it, you're better off getting the DRMfree GOG version.

Actual FPS games with a good story are rather few and far between.
Wolfenstein TNO is pretty good, but is also rather gory (and has some really annoying segments)

Shade

One more bundle post. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

R.U.S.E -- MB-A9DF3A62A2B710C7 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 3 entrants total.
Cthulhu Saves the World -- MB-96A58EC6E12AB18E - Taken by thesaucetastic. 3 entrants total.
Wasteland Angel -- MB-89092DCC7658CAA5 - Taken by taco543. 4 entrants total.
Crash Time 2 -- MB-6B6892D7EC3B7BFE - Taken by FauX. 2 entrants total.
Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery EP Steam Key -- MB-642CF9200157D761 - Taken by fuzzy123. 3 entrants total.

t1405905266z1.png

By the way, I'm just gonna host my Morrowind install on my Skydrive so people can just download the install and dump it over their Steam install. It's mostly for me, but I can put it in my public folder for people to use.

Mono

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!! I guess I should try Deus Ex!

Have you done Skyrim or the Fallouts? Those games are all about stealth and hoarding.

Of course!! I mod them to get rid of the inventory weight limit and pick up EVERYTHING. I love using a bow in Skyrim and sneaking around!

Does it have to be a straight up first person shooter, or could it be a game from the first person perspective with some shooter elements?

Because if the latter is an option, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you just want a straight up FPS, go with Wolfenstein: The New Order, most people really like it.

Have you played DX: HR yet? Because if not, play DX:HR.

I haven't played Deus Ex: Human Revolution! Everyone's been reccomending it to me since it came out since I'm a big sci-fi fan, but I always thought it was one of those online-only CoD type games. I guess it's more stealth, though?

I probably won't try Wolfenstein for a few years just because it's so new and expensive and I have no idea if I would like it or not!

user237

The island of Solstheim, where Bloodmoon takes place!!

I had no idea either, I was so excited when I found out in-game. People always fail to mention that the expansion takes place in Morrowind!! You'd think that would be a huge selling point.

Well many people remember Morrowind as just Vvardenfell.

dot

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!! I guess I should try Deus Ex!

Of course!! I mod them to get rid of the inventory weight limit and pick up EVERYTHING. I love using a bow in Skyrim and sneaking around!

I haven't played Deus Ex: Human Revolution! Everyone's been reccomending it to me since it came out since I'm a big sci-fi fan, but I always thought it was one of those online-only CoD type games. I guess it's more stealth, though?

I probably won't try Wolfenstein for a few years just because it's so new and expensive and I have no idea if I would like it or not!

wut

Human Revolution is nothing like CoD lol.

yu so silly Momo-chan. For me the games that got me into FPS were Resistance and Killzone 2 but those are ps3 games...

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to try because it's free now! \o/

You shouldn't waste your time and space downloading this.

Mono

Well, for stealth:
There's the classic thief trilogy, with thief 2 as the best of the bunch, but you've probably already played these (if not, you don't know what you've been missing ;). No, there is no 4.
Then there's the Deus Ex franchise (avoid The Fall, and Invisible War is very much the weakest of the three main games, having been console-chopped). The original still holds up as a masterpiece, and DX:HR is a worthy entry into the franchise.
Dishonored is also a pretty fun stealth game, which you can turn into a murder sim if you want.
System Shock 2 is unique and not technically stealth, but would leave you spoiled for every other FPS game after that ;)
The Chronicles of Riddick aren't bad, but the Steam copy has crappy TAGES DRM, so if you want it, you're better off getting the DRMfree GOG version.

Actual FPS games with a good story are rather few and far between.
Wolfenstein TNO is pretty good, but is also rather gory (and has some really annoying segments)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yep, I've already played all of the Theif games. I wish more stealth games would utilize light/dark as well as Theif.

Oops, forgot there was a gun in Dishonored because I'm going for a no-detection stealth run. Such a great game! And really hard if you do it that way in the later chapters.

I don't mind gore much, especially in a game where it can't be taken seriously from how over the top it is. (See: Mortal Kombat)

Mono

wut

Human Revolution is nothing like CoD lol.

yu so silly Momo-chan. For me the games that got me into FPS were Resistance and Killzone 2 but those are ps3 games...

You shouldn't waste your time and space downloading this.

That's how out of it I am with the genre, lol!

How in the world do you play FPS games with a DS3? :O You must be total a pro; my aim with a right analog stick is terrible!

What's wrong with TF2? I don't think I have enough HD space for it, anyway, oops! :X

-MD-

What's wrong with TF2?

In all seriousness, only download it if you want a multiplayer game, it does have a stealth class and good lore but I don't think that's what you're in the market for.

If you do want a multiplayer FPS though then that should be your first stop. It really is the best game on Steam.

the community can be rather... vitriolic.

Can't really agree with this, it's miles ahead of something like DOTA's community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom