• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Selknam Defense got a publisher, and it's unknown if it will still have keys for the bundles it was in.
Speaking of which, Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon keys are now also available for Bundle in a Box.

games in GREENLIGHT bundles that then refuse to hand out keys is...amazing. The whole point of those bundles as advertized is a bundle of greenlight games that will give a key when / if they are greenlit

Dr Dogg

The Room appears to be an excellent port so far. There is a nice set of 10 or so graphical options and it looks really nice maxed out. The puzzles feel good with a mouse, I don't feel like it's losing much going from touch.

Ah that's good to hear, controls were one thing I was wondering about. Chieveos are a nice touch too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
games in GREENLIGHT bundles that then refuse to hand out keys is...amazing. The whole point of those bundles as advertized is a bundle of greenlight games that will give a key when / if they are greenlit

Yeah, but the bundle was handled by the developers themselves whereas Meridian4 is responsible for the game on Steam as the devs wanted to skip Greenlight.

Five puzzle rooms + a bonus one IIRC. 5$ is a bit steep considering the price it's hit on other platforms (free), but I really enjoyed both games on iPad so I want to support the devs.

Thanks. The price sounds reasonable and from your previous post the developers put work on porting it to PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, but the bundle was handled by the developers themselves whereas Meridian4 is responsible for the game on Steam as the devs wanted to skip Greenlight.

I dont care about the specifics, its ridiculous

Arthea

That really bothers me too, for many reasons. Let's say you buy a company that's in the middle of some project, all their agreements still apply to you, while somehow any promises devs make goes down the drain if the game gets a publisher. That's just wrong.
ya, I'm still bitter about Hippocampal too. Not gonna buy it just because of that.

And it's not for the first time or second too, what makes it even worse.

Hugstable

Banned
I wanted to play it from time of BAFTA awards 2012.

I'll shout to you on steam, hopefully, we can find two more people

Yup I'll be ready, just send me a message. I know a few others a bit later who might want to play. Alot of people have 100% amazing now, they gotta start playing and rolling with the RNGods!

A few Japanese based publisher have had some odd prices on Steam starting off, namely NIS and recently Tecmo Koei. Compared to the other similar games on the market and their prices on similar digital platforms like PSN I was a bit surprised the Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was so bloody expensive. Surely the must have know very few people were going to buy it at the European prices? I don't know how much the less focused PC market and large second hand market in Japan affected their decisions but digital PC sales are a whole different beast and pricing is key.

Oh I've got the first via PSN already ;). Tempted to pick up the second at some point seeing as it can be transferred to a Vita now apparently. 3 is kind of sat on the shelf but I'm tempted to pick up 4 at some point too! I've only heard of the legend that is Suikoden 2 but after seeing how much it costs to get a second hand copy I have no idea why Konami isn't trying to get in on that market? Might be a licencing reason I guess.

I always heard the rumor that they hadn't released 2 because of a few glitches and bugs, which didn't make much sense to me considering Persona 3 FES is on PSN and that has that huge save glitch where it deletes save data. I'm still waiting to get a true playthrough of 2 in someday since when I originally played it was closer to it's PSX release and I never played the first game at that point so I didn't get to get all the cool extras. I really liked 3 and 5 also. Konami are you listening! Port over Suikoden and Castlevania games to steam! People will buy it up instantly!

Turfster

like beyond two souls scene jodie just goes to a bar, plays pool for like 3 balls and guy throws her on the pool table, what the hell?! what fucked up kind of bar is this!?
I... didn't have that.
Hell, I don't even remember going to a bar =p

It's a tie between that one and the scene with Madison and the surgeon guy if he knocks her out that bother me the most. Honestly, it sometimes feels like he's writing in bizarre sexual fantasies and it just makes me uncomfortable.
This also didn't happen in my HR playthrough ;)
Hint:
If you're visiting a creepy doctor guy you suspect of supplying drugs, don't drink the tea
=p

Arthea

Yup I'll be ready, just send me a message. I know a few others a bit later who might want to play. Alot of people have 100% amazing now, they gotta start playing and rolling with the RNGods!

I always heard the rumor that they hadn't released 2 because of a few glitches and bugs, which didn't make much sense to me considering Persona 3 FES is on PSN and that has that huge save glitch where it deletes save data. I'm still waiting to get a true playthrough of 2 in someday since when I originally played it was closer to it's PSX release and I never played the first game at that point so I didn't get to get all the cool extras. I really liked 3 and 5 also. Konami are you listening! Port over Suikoden and Castlevania games to steam! People will buy it up instantly!

exactly!

that's painful like knife into intestines.
Not gonna happen... we begged for years to get Suikoden on PSN, Konami doesn't give a damn about Suikoden, us and our muneys.

Tellaerin

Edit: Sega's Dreamcast games were just patched. Work is still ongoing, but for now the only change I can see is that each game is now tied to a silent launcher rather than the main executable.

I'm starting to wonder if Valve's "primary server" is actually your brain, jacked in through some sort of neural interface to control their server farm. (They let you take a nap on Tuesdays). That's the only way you could possibly be aware of all this stuff as it happens. >.>

Rhaknar

holy shit my Halfway is saved at the START of this side-mission I keep failing, I cant go back and choose a different team or just bring a bunch of grenades or something... this might have just broke the game for me

Arthea

just noticed

iBWdIbQn1fv66.jpg

that's one of those unintentionally funny things. Maybe it's less funny, if you aren't as hungry as me now (><)

Ban Puncher

It's my birthday.

There have been a lot of birthdays lately. Everyones parents must like freaky costume sex on Halloween.

You are now picturing your parents engaging in intercourse.

TIME FOR A FABULOUS GIVEAWAY

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-EADD8AC884D89095 - Taken by Chariot. 3 entrants total.

t1406557119z1.png

StAidan

Here are my thoughts on Tomb Raider (2013), which I finished a few nights ago with 100% completion:

header_292x136.jpg

I’ve played (and enjoyed) a few games in the classic Tomb Raider line, including 1, 2, Angel of Darkness, and Legend. In comparison to all of those, boy, did this game feel different! I would consider myself a passing fan of Tomb Raider as a series, and to be honest, I groaned inwardly when the “gritty reboot” was announced. I never intended to play it at all, but ended up impulse buying it over this past summer sale -- and I’m so glad I did.

I found the technicals of this game to be amazing. It’s incredibly well-built, and the actual gameplay (in terms of how the character controls) seems nearly flawless. I liked all the weapons, but the bow is especially versatile and fun to bring into battle. The enemy AI often leaves a lot to be desired - the enemies are mostly just really stupid - but I don’t think I could claim to have played any games that do it better. Maybe I’m just sheltered. In any case, I was never bored or disappointed by the frequent gunfights, although they weren’t always appropriately challenging. I liked going for the stealth approach, too - it was surprising how well stealth worked at times, though at other times, frustrating how easy it was to remain undetected (again, lame AI).

The environment design and exploration aspects are really great as well. Exploring and collecting rarely felt like a chore, which was a little surprising considering just how much there is to collect. (I did end up getting the last Previous Inhabitants flag and the last Sun Killer ornament only after looking up their locations in a guide. The flag, in particular, felt really cheaply hidden compared to all of the other challenges in the game.)

From an artistic standpoint, the environments are immersive and believable. Beautiful graphics and excellent sound design abound in this game. Quite early on, Lara was standing in a rainstorm with lightning flashes and thunder (I had headphones on), and I was just blown away by the distinct feeling of actually being in that virtual world. The darkness and detail in the various tombs made me feel legitimately eerie and claustrophobic in quite a few instances. The action-oriented set pieces, while silly in terms of gameplay, were appropriately impressive. I particularly liked the escape from the
Solarii Fortress
after rescuing
Sam for the first time

Looking back over last year’s Tomb Raider OT, I’ve read complaints about the lack of tombs/puzzles, the cliche characters, and the flat story. I’ll address those objections below:

First, I understand the issues with the tombs. Each one (of maybe 7 optional tombs, and 2-3 required ones) is basically a single-room puzzle that I was able to solve as easily as if I were playing with a baby’s shape sorter. At the same time, I believe that a high quantity of challenging (or time-consuming) puzzles really tends to kill the replay value of a game, because who wants to go through the motions of redoing puzzles that they’ve already solved in a previous run? Boring. So I’m of two opinions about the whole thing, but sort of favoring the way this reboot treats its tombs - short and simple. I do wish there had been more of them, in any case. My favorite tomb in the game? That would have to be the Flooded Vault.

Second, yeah - when viewed objectively, the story wasn’t exceptional, and the characters were mostly nothing more than stereotypical devices to deliver predictable plot points. But in the context of being the Tomb Raider origin story, I think it served its purpose just fine, with no bigger problems than any other video game story. That’s not to say it gets a total pass, just that the criticisms were way overblown. One endgame event that I found pretty unbelievable was Whitman’s
death at the hands of the Oni
. I mean, I know the guy was
naive and stupid
, but do you really expect me to believe that he spent all that time
”roaming freely” among the Solarii
(his words) and never once overheard those thugs talking about how
dangerous the Oni are
? They wouldn’t shut up about it whenever Lara was sneaking around, I know.

Anyway, the one major disappointment with Tomb Raider in my mind ended up being
the final “battle,” if you could even call it that. The stormguard giant seemed like a nice prelude to a bigger finale, but instead I’m treated to a QTE-fest with Mathias and a simple cutscene in which Lara vanquishes the Sun Queen without my help whatsoever
. All the same, I consider that a small objection in the grand scheme of the game as a whole, and I did appreciate the
dual-pistol callback
at the end there.

My ultimate conclusion? If this reboot is going to be the new standard for Tomb Raider games, I don’t need the old standard anymore. I’m sure the classics will still be fun and all, but the notion of a Tomb Raider whose content is predominantly puzzle-oriented is an idea that’s ready for retirement. I’ve also decided that Attitude Lara was a fine enough concept back in the ‘90s, when every new mascot was an attitude mascot, but Survivor Lara is a lot more believable as a character - and quite honestly, much easier to build a story around, if we’re still going for stories in games these days (I don’t consider them necessary, but whatever).

Greatly looking forward to the sequel.

pahamrick

holy shit my Halfway is saved at the START of this side-mission I keep failing, I cant go back and choose a different team or just bring a bunch of grenades or something... this might have just broke the game for me

Theres no option to end mission? I hate when games don't allow that.

Sini

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SinineSiil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

State of Decay -- MB-E796757BFF2EF0F0 - Taken by chronomac. 10 entrants total.

t1406557479z1.png
This game is fugly.

derExperte

I thought touch worked pretty well when I played it on iPad, but then it doesn't demand precision really I guess.

It works but me and touch controls will never become best friends I fear. Same feeling when playing Destiny, the slow-as-molasses gameplay makes that one managable with a pad but I still feel restricted as I can't do what I want to do as fast, precise and thus comfortable as I could with a mouse. And especially when playing puzzle games I like to lean back and lazily click around instead of holding a big device right in front of me. Guess I am one of those rare comfyofficechairhurrdurr people....

What helmet is this guy wearing? Reminds me of Patriarch from the Void

Castle Drangleic is still such a disappointment. The lead up to it where you walk up the great steps and gain entry is great but once you get inside it's rather drab. It feels like it's supposed to be this grand place full of history but half of the rooms are just completely empty slabs of gray. That is a complaint that is relevant to a lot of Dark Souls II, but it's much more prevalent in the castle.

Amzin

Here are my thoughts on Tomb Raider (2013), which I finished a few nights ago with 100% completion:

header_292x136.jpg

*snip*

Nice write up. Pretty much mirrors my feelings on it as well. I personally like the bite-sized tombs, but seeing as how they were almost all optional anyway, it'd be nice to have a few bigger ones mixed in, as well as just more overall.

Milamber

It's my birthday.

There have been a lot of birthdays lately. Everyones parents must like freaky costume sex on Halloween.

Yay, I'm finally online with the best birthday giveaway ever! Happy birthday!

Chariot

It's my birthday.

If your parent's intercourse was on the level of Bat Rats, congratulations.
Also: congratulations!

Rhaknar

Theres no option to end mission? I hate when games don't allow that.

whew theres a "reload from homebase" option, thank god because I was about to fail again. fuck failing shots with 85% chance, I know xcom is the same but jesus

happy birthday MP

Deitus

exactly!

that's painful like knife into intestines.
Not gonna happen... we begged for years to get Suikoden on PSN, Konami doesn't give a damn about Suikoden, us and our muneys.

A talk between executives:

Executive 1: "Hey look how many classic and unused franchises we have, and the fans keep asking for ports on PSN and PC, what should we do?"

Executive 2: "We only have an obvious choice!"

Both executives in unison: "Let's dump it on our basement"

*laughs*

StAidan

Happy Birthday Man Puncher! Great, uh, giveaway!

Nice write up. Pretty much mirrors my feelings on it as well. I personally like the bite-sized tombs, but seeing as how they were almost all optional anyway, it'd be nice to have a few bigger ones mixed in, as well as just more overall.

Yeah, I actually agree that a 2-3 optional larger tombs might've been nice as well. The kind of thing you could skip on subsequent playthroughs, if you were so inclined. I sort of expect the sequel to be a little heavier on the tomb focus, so it will be interesting to see where they take the puzzle aspect of the series.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KillerDark, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Bioshock -- MB-E55F1384B60CF677 - Taken by Easy_D

Someone out there still wants this... right?

header_292x136.jpg

Greatly looking forward to the sequel.
Tomb Raider was a pretty good game, probably the best tomb raider game there's been in a long time, which is good, but I wasn't a massive fan of it, like you said the tombs were very simple, and I'm glad that's something they're addressing in Rise of the Tomb Raider(I don't like that name)

I also thought the story had some weird time issues,
like wasn't Lara only on the island for a couple of days? At least in a show like Arrow when someone gets stuck on an island and goes a bit cray-cray they're there for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom