• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurthang

Banned
Playing Borderlands 2 with strangers is weird. You have to play at their pace and I don't really feel comfortable checking my inventory and picking up guns.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

I hope everyone enjoys their roulette prizes.

Now totally feel free to go through my Steam wishlist and buy everything on it.

FREE SHIT 4 LYFE

at least youre honest

Playing Borderlands 2 with strangers is weird. You have to play at their pace and I don't really feel comfortable checking my inventory and picking up guns.

Agreed, I don't enjoy that because usually randoms never want to explore and just blaze through it as quickly as possible... its completely opposite from how I like to play.

Double

Guess I'm getting the Indie Gala bundle as I dont know or own any of its games :>

@DSix congrats and good luck!

@Puncher happy bday!

like beyond two souls scene jodie just goes to a bar, plays pool for like 3 balls and guy throws her on the pool table, what the hell?! what fucked up kind of bar is this!?
Well, you could have prevented that from happening :p You can also eavesdrop on the guys with Aiden and find out their intentions long beforehand and act accordingly.

he probably needs to not write the damn things himself

just throw some ideas around and then have an actual writer actually write the script and trim the weirdo frenchie stuff

after the mess that is beyond two souls, i think he shouldn't be directing either
He gets writing assistance on his next game. Also one of the main game designers of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit came back for his next project. I think his directing is fine however, he got some great performances out of the actors as well.

combined but you know, i get the feeling it tried harder to be a game than the other two.

maybe i should try that wolf among us thing
Omikron is the most "gamey" out of them all. It has an inventory, fighting gameplay etc.
Wolf Among Us is the usual Telltale fare I'm afraid, but the setting was a little bit more intriguing at least.

haven't finished it yet but been playing it coop with my brother and his girlfriend and it's such a narrative mess

like you can tell it's all split up for the sake of being split up, the pacing is all over the place and it's just terribly boring to play

like what the fuck is this game about lol
I thought it all made sense in the end for a slice of life game. Each scene had its purpose in the story and for her character. The timeline shown before each chapter tied things together nicely and in the end there is an explanation given to why it's split up in the first place. I really liked the aspect of "ah so this is how she got to place X, here we probably learn how Y happened". Also the final stretch of the game is legitimately awesome IMO (both from gameplay and story perspective).

I just released my very first solo game on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313980

Proxy Blade Zero is a pretty hardcore 3d character action game.

You need a better store page description and screenshots stat. I say this purely as a potential customer.

If you don't have much to say about your game that makes it appear shallow, short, or uninspired. Similarly, if you present what you have to say poorly, it makes a bad first impression on potential customers. Entice them with something unusual, unique, or compelling!

What makes it stand out from other games? Highlight it in text and with screenshots/trailers.

That said, robots with swords is always the right direction to take. I hope your game is good, and I wish you good luck.

Add me, I'm only at the top of the Wall of Shame in the PC OT.

I'm not on that train even though it's currently on my wishlist.
If the comparison ToddHunter made to FF12 regarding the story is true, it's definitely getting removed though. FF12 had one of the most awful stories I've ever experienced in a JRPG.

Same difference.
SAM is definitely easier.

Deitus

Playing Borderlands with strangers is awful (inb4 Borderlands is always awful jokes). The first time I played BL1, I had it set so people could join my game, and within seconds I had 3 other higher leveled players in my game killing everything before I could even fire off a shot, then grabbing all of the quests without reading/listening to the dialogue, then running to all of the waypoints and grabbing all of the things, and of course looting every single item that drops without giving anyone else a chance. After about 20 minutes, I quit out and played the rest of the game solo. Much better.

When I beat the game, I tried to do more co-op with strangers in New Game+. It was basically the exact same experience, but now everyone had hacked guns and shields allowing them to have infinite health and fire machinegun rocket launchers that 1 shot every enemy. Never again.

Of course co-op with friends is better, but if that's not an option solo is the way to go.

All that circle jerk about TLoU remaster scores makes me wonder.

Are console exclusive gamers truly that invested on numerical scores? if so, why does the PC gaming community weighs more on personal recommendations and word of mouth?
Why are both communities so different when the games themselves are so similar?

No sarcasm on my post, honest question. I don't want to create a flamefest.

I have the exact same problem with most coop games. Feel weird working with total strangers. It's why I never played all that much L4D. Strangely don't have the same issue working in a squad in BF4.

Tizoc

This was hard to keep up with, but I am pretty sure I got everyone. C'mon now, GAF. We Anime now, the least we can do is make the train anime too.

ibgKSs8ZaMCPyp.png

Never say CheesecakeRecipe don't love ya, SteamGAF. <3
Where am I on this train =/

Turfster

Are console exclusive gamers truly that invested on numerical scores? if so, why does the PC gaming community weighs more on personal recommendations and word of mouth?

PC "exclusive" games aren't supposed to sell systems (maybe graphics cards for the really WOAH stuff, but it's been a while since we had that), they're just PC exclusive because the control system/subject matter is deemed not to work too well with a different control scheme/on the couch/whatever.

Where am I on this train =/

All you had to do was follow the damn train, Tizoc.

Playing Borderlands with strangers is awful (inb4 Borderlands is always awful jokes). The first time I played BL1, I had it set so people could join my game, and within seconds I had 3 other higher leveled players in my game killing everything before I could even fire off a shot, then grabbing all of the quests without reading/listening to the dialogue, then running to all of the waypoints and grabbing all of the things, and of course looting every single item that drops without giving anyone else a chance. After about 20 minutes, I quit out and played the rest of the game solo. Much better.

When I beat the game, I tried to do more co-op with strangers in New Game+. It was basically the exact same experience, but now everyone had hacked guns and shields allowing them to have infinite health and fire machinegun rocket launchers that 1 shot every enemy. Never again.

Of course co-op with friends is better, but if that's not an option solo is the way to go.

Absolutely. I don't know why it has the reputation for being better online than solo. Maybe with people that don't care about the story/dialogue or anything other than just blowing through the game :p

Or, I'd imagine, playing with some friends that all want to go at the same pace and let eachother keep up.

yuraya

The same reason they are so obsessed with who sells the most and whose figures are higher. Or some other stupid stuff like how many planets you can explore (lol) or how many P's in your resolution. Numerical statistics drive the console wars.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This was hard to keep up with, but I am pretty sure I got everyone. C'mon now, GAF. We Anime now, the least we can do is make the train anime too.

Never say CheesecakeRecipe don't love ya, SteamGAF. <3

i want in too!

Deitus

I'd say at least part of the reason for the difference is that most major games media outlets largely ignored the PC market for a solid decade there (up until about 3 years ago), outside of a few high profile titles like Blizzard games. It's hard for a community to value the opinions of people who don't even acknowledge they exist.

Absolutely. I don't know why it has the reputation for being better online than solo. Maybe with people that don't care about the story/dialogue or anything other than just blowing through the game :p

Or, I'd imagine, playing with some friends that all want to go at the same pace and let eachother keep up.

It is more fun to play with friends, but yeah, they have to be willing to go at your pace. I guess I lucked out in that regard (though I did have to tell my one friend to stop talking over the dialogue a couple times). If you are playing with someone who wants to rush through when you want to take your time and explore (or vice versa), you're going to have a bad time.

Strazyplus

I'd say at least part of the reason for the difference is that most major games media outlets largely ignored the PC market for a solid decade there (up until about 3 years ago), outside of a few high profile titles like Blizzard games. It's hard for a community to value the opinions of people who don't even acknowledge they exist.

hey_heisenberg_was_this_gif_overused_in_the_bryan_cranston_ama-58107.gif

That and that numbers are useless, written reviews or youtube videos are more worthy than IGN and others. PC is no console and comes with higher expectations than of just the game (menus FOV, Graphic options)

Caerith

Some people require external validation for their opinions and decisions. If that's more common on consoles than on PC, it could be because of the higher cost of console gaming? $400-$500 hardware plus $60 games all around, and you don't want to buy something only for the court of public opinion (review scores, consensus on who "won" the war, etc) to call you a fool. PC games run cheaper, so there's not as much validation required when trying a game out for, like, $5.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

PC exclusive devs generally aren't taking journalists to resorts to review their games for a week. Also the games aren't similar. Exclusives on consoles are doing their damndest to mimic cinema, where PC exclusives tend to be more gameplay focused.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

One solid reason I may mention is that a lot of PC games don't have a big presence on gaming websites, there are a lot of fantastic indie games that go under the radar/only become big because of player word of mouth.

Part of this is just how so many games are available and continue to become available on the platform. As gaming sites can't keep up, it becomes far more worthwhile to listen to your fellow gamers than it is to listen to big gaming sites who can't reasonably diet all these games.

That and I believe to be a PC gamer, you have to be sort of out of the 'mainstream' focus of gaming right now, as marketing and media is obviously more geared towards consoles right now.

Shantom

Is there anything special I have to do with Modbot to give away a game that isn't available yet? I was going to just link to my Steam profile and tell the winner to add me to get the game, is that enough?

Strazyplus

Is there anything special I have to do with Modbot to give away a game that isn't available yet? I was going to just link to my Steam profile and tell the winner to add me to get the game, is that enough?

You can but I would wait for pre-orders are available.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

why not just wait? these IOU giveaways like many pointed out the other day are kinda dangerous (for the giver mostly), who knows what life brings you and what you financial situation is when the games are finally available, not to mention the rise of region locked games, and that game you thought would be 20 from russians is suddenly 60.

I mean you can do whatever you want, but it seems like a dangerous road to go down, when there is no need for it really

Turfster

Should work.
It can even be just an IOU PM.

Rhaknar does have a point, though, unless the game you're giving away is already fixed in price and time.

Enco

I'm sure if Star Citizen launches and Polygon gives it a 6 people will complain. Big, hyped games inspire hysteria.

I look forward to the day Star Citizen launches and gets a load of 5s and 6s from all publications.

The tears will be beautiful.

I don't really want it to fail but can't deny it will be funny

The Room appears to be an excellent port so far. There is a nice set of 10 or so graphical options and it looks really nice maxed out. The puzzles feel good with a mouse, I don't feel like it's losing much going from touch.
I think it's smart that they ported it but the pricing is just a bit insulting given that it's a buck on tablets. I'll wait for a sale. Thanks for the impressions.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Should work.
It can even be just an IOU PM.

Rhaknar does have a point, though, unless the game you're giving away is already fixed in price and time.

I agree ... anything can happen ... heck, they can even cancel the release altogether (or move it by 9 months)

GaussTek

does idling for games using SAM record into your steam profile? eg: shows up on profile as played 2 hours of *insert random game with cards*

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, Steam does record the time you used SAM for each game, just like when you install it just for idle/play.

Deitus

The only problem with that is that ModBot checks if a key has been given away before. If you tried to give away another game in the future using the same method, it would mark your Steam profile as a duplicate key.

Dusk Golem

why not just wait? these IOU giveaways like many pointed out the other day are kinda dangerous (for the giver mostly), who knows what life brings you and what you financial situation is when the games are finally available, not to mention the rise of region locked games, and that game you thought would be 20 from russians is suddenly 60.

I mean you can do whatever you want, but it seems like a dangerous road to go down, when there is no need for it really

This is true, and I'd only do it if you really want to/know what you're doing.

(I say this as a person who did an IOU, not that I regret doing it at all, but I did put some thought into it as I was planning to give the game away anyways).

But only do it if you're certain, of a few areas. It's a bit risky, though I'm just a bit weird in that I like things to be a bit risky. Makes life more interesting, but pulling through is important, and I would say if people recognize you as an honorable person on these fronts/if you have a solid history of living up to your word/kindness, then its more likely to go over well socially, but make sure you know you can back-up the IOU in the near future when it releases (and on that front I wouldn't use an IOU on a game that's too much further than the near future).

Rhaknar

I agree ... anything can happen ... heck, they can even cancel the release altogether (or move it by 9 months)

yeah, just no point whatsoever. Just one more thing that baffles me lately, its like theres this vibe that if youre not giving away big shit youre not a member of the community or something, and im pretty sure thats not what Sub Zero, Corrosivefrost, Dusk Golem and other old time big givers wanted when this all started

Shantom

Thanks for all the advice guys. The game I want to give away is Trails in the Sky, which comes out tomorrow, and I'm happy to buy it direct from the UK store to support XSEED and Falcom, so I should have no trouble fulfilling the giveaway.

Rhaknar

Thanks for all the advice guys. The game I want to give away is Trails in the Sky, which comes out tomorrow, and I'm happy to buy it direct from the UK store to support XSEED and Falcom, so I should have no trouble fulfilling the giveaway.

make sure they give out a steam key tho, thats a big thing around here :p

Dusk Golem

yeah, just no point whatsoever. Just one more thing that baffles me lately, its like theres this vibe that if youre not giving away big shit youre not a member of the community or something, and im pretty sure thats not what Sub Zero, Corrosivefrost, Dusk Golem and other old time big givers wanted when this all started

Not at all, I didn't realize it came off that way. My main reasoning was because I wanted to support Evil Within's release as bigger budget horror game so I was planning to buy a few copies and one of the copies at least I wanted to give to GAF. My most hyped title right now.

and my weird way of reminding people here that this game exists.

Thanks for all the responses everyone :)

I decided to ignore my backlog and reinstall the Arkham games to play them downsampling and physx and everything maxed out.
And man... they are so beautiful I want to punch a criminal in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom