• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
All that circle jerk about TLoU remaster scores makes me wonder.

Are console exclusive gamers truly that invested on numerical scores? if so, why does the PC gaming community weighs more on personal recommendations and word of mouth?
Why are both communities so different when the games themselves are so similar?

No sarcasm on my post, honest question. I don't want to create a flamefest.

Seeing some trip out that the game might get an 8 from Polygon just weirded me out. In TLOU Remastered's case, the game has already been released, most people were able to read both past reviews and impressions of the game, as well as check out gameplay videos and the such. I don't see why anyone would worry or even care about review scores for the PS4 version as the core game is still the same in every way, it just runs better and has a higher resolution. I'm really excited for the game, but just seeing people want to pile up on Polygon for having an opinion was just strange. Who cares what one journalist says, if you want validation for the game there are tons of other reviews. I like it here now, many games that I've bought and enjoyed recently came from fellow gaffer impressions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just pretend I'm hiding in the train.

I pretend there's a train car full of Alpacas with my avatar's face that are all looking towards the window, and when somebody else enters they all slowly turn their necks and look at the person who's entered with big grins.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Some people require external validation for their opinions and decisions. If that's more common on consoles than on PC, it could be because of the higher cost of console gaming? $400-$500 hardware plus $60 games all around, and you don't want to buy something only for the court of public opinion (review scores, consensus on who "won" the war, etc) to call you a fool. PC games run cheaper, so there's not as much validation required when trying a game out for, like, $5.

This leads into a thought I've been having on the nature of the Console gamer and the PC gamer. I'd like to preface this by saying I don't mean any of this derogatorily and that there isn't a value judgement behind this reasoning.

The major difference it boils down to is this: Console gamers are fans of a consumer product. They go to a store and they buy into a brand. I have a brand of peanut butter I ride-or-die for (Teddy, if you must know) and fuck the inferior competition.

The PC isn't a brand or (in general) a consumer product. It's an ideology. It's a set of ideals that can have a 100 different interchangeable hardware vendors powering it. Sure, there is Red vs. Green and AMD vs. Intel, etc., but those wash away fairly quickly when we're all able to play the same exact games at the end of the day. It's like making your own peanut butter: am I really going to get into a turf war over you roasting a different brand of nuts for yours?

Not at all, I didn't realize it came off that way. My main reasoning was because I wanted to support Evil Within's release as bigger budget horror game so I was planning to buy a few copies and one of the copies at least I wanted to give to GAF. My most hyped title right now.

and my weird way of reminding people here that this game exists.

I think the vast majority of members recognize that the large giveaways are amazing acts of generosity that in no way are meant to "set a bar" regarding future giveaways.

jblank83

I don't really want it to fail but can't deny it will be funny

Why would it be funny? Because a lot of people want it to be good? Because the developers have put a lot of work into it?

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I can't see a good reason Star Citizen's hypothetical failure would be funny. We're not even talking console wars here. Star Citizen failing wouldn't humiliate Sony or Nintendo or Microsoft or their fanboys.

How about instead of that we just enjoy the games we like and look forward to the ones we want, gaming pal.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I pretend there's a train car full of Alpacas with my avatar's face that are all looking towards the window, and when somebody else enters they all slowly turn their necks and look at the person who's entered with big grins.

you REALLY should stop playing horror games ;)

Turfster

It's not like I need to sleep or anything.

Shantom

Not at all, I didn't realize it came off that way. My main reasoning was because I wanted to support Evil Within's release as bigger budget horror game so I was planning to buy a few copies and one of the copies at least I wanted to give to GAF. My most hyped title right now.

RE4 is my favourite non-SRPG game of all time, and I love a lot Mikami's other games, but I just can't get hyped for The Evil Within, especially now that it's coming out at a bad time of the year for me. I'll probably buy it on release anyway, though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Daikatana -- MB-3977283244CC2F9A - Taken by Miniboss
Anachronox -- MB-C5A76A22E969F8B1 - Taken by provo57
Ok I is big cheese now?
Mini Ninjas -- MB-5D81D26C0A1FB7CD - Taken by Benedict

Grief.exe

I hope it turns out well. The pewdiepie gameplay preview had me thinking it was more of a 3rd person shooter than a classic Mikami game.

Shantom

24 hours until one of the best RPGs finally comes to Steam:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Note: This game hasn't been released yet. I will gift the winner the game on Steam once it's available for purchase

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-FC569E02EA2A517D - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 224 entrants total.

t1406653000z1.png

Turfster

Daily Verdun 66% off

Weeklong deals are up.
Get Binary Domain, avoid Chainsaw Warrior (how do you mess up the port of a tabletop game?)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of DSix, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DSix, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Proxy Blade Zero #6 -- MB-A49D73C3F2D37F08 - Taken by Nabs. 9 entrants total.
Proxy Blade Zero #4 -- MB-65405E7ED783D4CA - Taken by Terra_Ex. 12 entrants total.
Proxy Blade Zero #5 -- MB-188255A212FD072A - Taken by thePenguin. 9 entrants total.
Proxy Blade Zero #2 -- MB-17BC84F50BEFFD2B - Taken by EzioCroft. 7 entrants total.
Proxy Blade Zero #3 -- MB-996F128C756A9553 - Taken by _hekk05. 11 entrants total.
Proxy Blade Zero #1 -- MB-754232EAD881AFD2 - Taken by Kiru. 4 entrants total.

t1406570560z1.png

AHA-Lambda

Just in case, I've still got 3 left over keys for Hitman keys here:

Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-DB151346FF4F981E - Taken by GrinningColossus
Hitman 2 -- MB-9F8B442C86F3F654 - Taken by Speevy
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-98E9C7464F2F1002 - Taken by Benedict

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
some good non-bundle stuff deals as weekly. Binary Domain and Stardrive for example

Enco

Why would it be funny? Because a lot of people want it to be good? Because the developers have put a lot of work into it?

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but I can't see a good reason Star Citizen's hypothetical failure would be funny. We're not even talking console wars here. Star Citizen failing wouldn't humiliate Sony or Nintendo or Microsoft or their fanboys.

How about instead of that we just enjoy the games we like and look forward to the ones we want, gaming pal.

Ok funny was the wrong word. It would be very interesting to see what the consequences are and if it affects kickstarter.

Who cares about console wars? Haven't been into that stuff for years. If the game comes out well I'll jump in. If not, I'm curious to see what happens and how people react considering the huge investment.

Star Citizen is a first with the amount of public backing it has received.

Caerith

This leads into a thought I've been having on the nature of the Console gamer and the PC gamer. I'd like to preface this by saying I don't mean any of this derogatorily and that there isn't a value judgement behind this reasoning.

The major difference it boils down to is this: Console gamers are fans of a consumer product. They go to a store and they buy into a brand. I have a brand of peanut butter I ride-or-die for (Teddy, if you must know) and fuck the inferior competition.

The PC isn't a brand or (in general) a consumer product. It's an ideology. It's a set of ideals that can have a 100 different interchangeable hardware vendors powering it. Sure, there is Red vs. Green and AMD vs. Intel, etc., but those wash away fairly quickly when we're all able to play the same exact games at the end of the day. It's like making your own peanut butter: am I really going to get into a turf war over you roasting a different brand of nuts for yours?

This reminds me of some BBC program that made the rounds a few years back where they found that people with excessive brand loyalty had the same neurological reaction to their brand's icon as people of faith do to religious imagery. Could explain the Jyllands-Posten reaction we see to middling review scores.

A friend just gift me Speedrunners for my birthday and wow the game is legit fun, I'm still practicing in the tutorial mode but I wanted to ask, Is it better to play it with the keyboard or with a controller ?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

icWuA5NGsUVEY.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If anyone here doesn't own Binary Domain and likes third-person shooters, you need to pick it up. Played it earlier this year, it was honestly rather great.

The first mission is kind of eh, but it gets better and better from there.

Lain

I see Memoria in the weeklongs, but I don't see a discount on it yet. Guess it's showing up because of the weeklong on The Dark Eye Universe Bundle. Sucks that they keep discounting packs but not single games, as far as I'm concerned.

Hugstable

Banned
If anyone here doesn't own Binary Domain and likes third-person shooters, you need to pick it up. Played it earlier this year, it was honestly rather great.

Yeah it's a pretty fun TPS. I played it on my PS3, but those who haven't played it should definitely pick it up considering it's only 3.75.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Also if you want to play Vanquish on PC, snort a line of coke and play Binary Domain.

Boom. Vanquish on PC.

Just one more thing that baffles me lately, its like theres this vibe that if youre not giving away big shit youre not a member of the community or something, and im pretty sure thats not what Sub Zero, Corrosivefrost, Dusk Golem and other old time big givers wanted when this all started

Part of that stems from one big giver having an issue with giveaways to the point where they openly expressed their dismay at what he/she considered to be "garbage" giveaways.

It's unfortunate that the person in question did that as i felt that, while i understand the frustration he/she might have felt at watching people post really cheap/free keys in order to qualify for a pay it forward post wasn't exactly unwarranted, expressing their frustration the way they did might have done more harm than good in the grand scheme of things.

I hope to do a big giveaway myself before the year is out but i'm waiting for there to be a reason to celebrate :D

Dr Dogg

Since I had time to dwell on it The Last of Us is a poor stealth game with an above average story. Likely none of that has changed so despite my disdain of the act of trying to quantify subjective enjoyment by metrics 8 out of 10 would be pretty stellar in my view. Better watch my back in case the beanie avatar brigade are about.

With that out of the way has anyone here had any experience with the Mayflash WiiU Pro Controller PC adapter? Saw a thread on here and it sounds like the best solution at the moment. Tried the unofficial driver/program from GBATemp and it really doesn't play well with my Bluetooth dongle so I'd be shelling out anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stardrive (75% off) is the 4X with space samurai bears, what else do you need really?

Part of that stems from one big giver having an issue with giveaways to the point where they openly expressed their dismay at what he/she considered to be "garbage" giveaways.

It's unfortunate that the person in question did that as i felt that, while i understand the frustration he/she might have felt at watch people post really cheap/free keys in order to qualify for a pay it forward post wasn't exactly unwarranted, expressing their frustration the way they did might have done more harm than good in the grand scheme of things.

I hope to do a big giveaway myself before the year is out but i'm waiting for there to be a reason to celebrate :D

I have no idea who or what youre talking about, I havent really been following SteamGAF as much lately for...reasons.

tioslash

So, I am thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for TF2 keys and found a trader with a good reputation, but he said in the comment section of steamtrades.com that it now have RU tag. I live in Brazil, what does that mean to me? Will it be locked in some form? Or only have Russian language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom