• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Since I had time to dwell on it The Last of Us is a poor stealth game with an above average story. Likely none of that has changed so despite my disdain of the act of trying to quantify subjective enjoyment by metrics 8 out of 10 would be pretty stellar in my view. Better watch my back in case the beanie avatar brigade are about.

Don't want to get too off topic, and I don't disagree with your assessments on the (though I'd say average stealth game rather than poor), I'd say the part I liked most about Last of Us was its setting, atmosphere, and world building. My absolute favorite moments of the game came away from the cinematics, the stealthing and shooting, and more just exploring the world the game had. I think it had a beautifully realized and interesting setting that for me, was a joy to explore.

On topic, when my paycheck comes in later this week, I'm buying several of these weeklong games. Best week deals in a long time.

Rudakus

A friend just gift me Speedrunners for my birthday and wow the game is legit fun, I'm still practicing in the tutorial mode but I wanted to ask, Is it better to play it with the keyboard or with a controller ?

For me it's controller all day. Don't be afraid to jump in and play the ranked online games... It's what I did after beating the tutorial. Had some rough games figuring out the maps, but was still a blast. Also look out for those damn Spikes!

Someone should put that train on a collision course with Sky Buddha-Gaben.

4X?

Explore
Exploit
Expand
Exterminate
4x

Basically, a turn-based game that starts small in scale, and grows to encompass everything in the game. The Civilization series is the archetypal example of a 4X. The four x's are obstensibly what you do in the game.

ShogunX

I see Memoria in the weeklongs, but I don't see a discount on it yet. Guess it's showing up because of the weeklong on The Dark Eye Universe Bundle. Sucks that they keep discounting packs but not single games, as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty sure both Memoria and Satinav were heavily discounted during the summer sale. Picked both up for cheap but not got around to playing yet.

So, I am thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for TF2 keys and found a trader with a good reputation, but he said in the comment section of steamtrades.com that it now have RU tag. I live in Brazil, what does that mean to me? Will it be locked in some form? Or only have Russian language?

Available: 24 February 2015

This game will unlock in approximately 7 months, 2 weeks, 1 day and 1 hour

Damn dude what's the rush!!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I am thinking of getting The Witcher 3 for TF2 keys and found a trader with a good reputation, but he said in the comment section of steamtrades.com that it now have RU tag. I live in Brazil, what does that mean to me? Will it be locked in some form? Or only have Russian language?

I wouldn't worry about the game being language-locked as the sub is region-free. A region-specific sub by itself isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

You can redeem it only with a VPN.

Despite CDPR playing around with ACRTAG, the game was never actually region-locked at any point, and most recently the flag was removed.

Tizoc

If anyone here doesn't own Binary Domain and likes third-person shooters, you need to pick it up. Played it earlier this year, it was honestly rather great.

The first mission is kind of eh, but it gets better and better from there.

Listen to this man, you don't want to make Big Bo sad and come to your house do you?
2205277-2151413-big_bo.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have no idea if Stardrive is good or if the devs dropped support, all I know is that it has space samurai bears (and other freaky races like that)

also Bynary Domain is great.

Anyone waiting for a game to update before they start a playthrough?

I'm holding off on Dark Souls until GFWL is removed, and until Terraria gets those sweet, sweet achievements in its next update.

Caerith

I'm holding off on Dark Souls until GFWL is removed, and until Terraria gets those sweet, sweet achievements in its next update.

Both of those for the same reasons, and Narcissu for it to go out of early access.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Whoa, Terraria's getting achievements? Will probably have to jump back in when that happens, I think I have like 100 hours in it already.

Someone should put that train on a collision course with Sky Buddha-Gaben.

4X?

Explore
Expand
Exterminate
Exploit

It's a strategy game.

When Relogic announced achievements for Terraria? I can see myself sinking a lot of time when this happens.

Hugstable

Banned

I've been playing through Dark Souls recently, and GFWL hasn't really been much of a problem at all with Dark Souls beyond a quick fix that I had to do when I first played the game. GFWL is atleast working with this game unlike my old experience with it back when Fallout 3 was still on it.

Egamer

Played more of Risen 3.

I'm kinda disappointed that the preview build is not set in the beginning. Now I'm on an island - skilled and geared - and it's quite impossible to follow the story. Well heck, at the moment I'm looking for people who wants to be with me on board so we could fight the ghost ships.

But despite all of that; I really like Risen 3 so far. The combat is getting better, since I'm getting more used to it. It's kinda a mix between The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls. It's not that hard. After a few hours I finally could beat a known enemy without getting a fleshwound.

I realized that there's amazingly much to do in Risen 3. I love it. Today I've done some knife throwing, drinking contests and arm wrestling in the tavern after midnight. Funny detail about drinking contests is that you should find drunken idiots in the back of the tavern, because they are the most easy opponents to win money from.

It's a pity there are no marks for quests, so you have to find the quests on your own. Once you have them, it's a bit puzzling since there's no good overview of the quests.

About the bugs? I've seen one great bug - where the person you've rescued follows you and after one seconds he stops for no reason, all the time - but for the rest it's quite okay. Some few glitches with the camera, but that's all.

HoosTrax

Whoa, Terraria's getting achievements? Will probably have to jump back in when that happens, I think I have like 100 hours in it already.
Same here (first I heard that Terraria was finally getting achievements). Don't Starve honestly should have them as well considering they're apparently mandatory on PSN games and Klei had to add them when they made the port, but never bothered to retroactively add them to PC.

I'm personally waiting on Dark Souls, DiRT3, and Dawn of War II to get achievements (and removal of GFWL).

Leftovers

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-9112C45682500D33 - Taken by ReduxMachine
QuestRun -- MB-0C62CB15671EE6ED - Taken by Catshade
Paranautical Activity -- MB-BC32336E231103E3 - Taken by bluechox2
Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-C0C0B0FDFB86AF5E - Taken by Dusk Golem
N.P.P.D. RUSH - The milk of Ultraviolet -- MB-D797BCBF2EAF8B0D - Taken by Saty
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-EBA99BD478BA28E8 - Taken by KainXVIII
Mechanic Escape -- MB-99D3C46474966126 - Taken by Catshade
Jack Lumber -- MB-228A63BEF4FD574F - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-CB4BCB6FB5626557 - Taken by Lomax
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-EAC7902861A6F485 - Taken by lfvgt
99 Levels To Hell -- MB-5D3848F28DEFB1DB - Taken by Autofokus
Rogue's Tale -- MB-0A29C03D97210451 - Taken by Kifimbo
Litil Divil -- MB-CA46887C557A51CF - Taken by danhese007

PhaZZe

Banned
Borderlands 1 update 460 mb

Steamworks multiplayer is coming in a future update.
Changes:

- Removed SecuRom from the title and all DLC
- Added a “Granting Tool” In the steam “Tools” section that turns a retail disc into a Steam version of Borderlands
- “News Ticker” added to the main menu to give you updates on the Multiplayer restoration updates.
- Imported SecuRom DLC keys into Steam, so if you bought DLC outside of Steam, activate it within Steam and get your matching content.

Lain

Pretty sure both Memoria and Satinav were heavily discounted during the summer sale. Picked both up for cheap but not got around to playing yet.

Yep I remember the sale on it during the summer sale and I missed it because I thought I'd grab it on Indiegala the day after the end of the Summer Sale on Steam, only to see the sale on indiegala end lol.
I meant more that when I notice a pack discount for their games, I don't see a discount on the single games.

explore, exploit, ex-girlfriend, exhentai *nod nod*

I legit laughed.

This was hard to keep up with, but I am pretty sure I got everyone. C'mon now, GAF. We Anime now, the least we can do is make the train anime too.

ibgKSs8ZaMCPyp.png

Never say CheesecakeRecipe don't love ya, SteamGAF. <3

I am totally part of the hype train. I'm not sure whether I'm getting the game on Steam or GOG though.

Shadownet

Banned
Part of that stems from one big giver having an issue with giveaways to the point where they openly expressed their dismay at what he/she considered to be "garbage" giveaways.

It's unfortunate that the person in question did that as i felt that, while i understand the frustration he/she might have felt at watch people post really cheap/free keys in order to qualify for a pay it forward post wasn't exactly unwarranted, expressing their frustration the way they did might have done more harm than good in the grand scheme of things.

I hope to do a big giveaway myself before the year is out but i'm waiting for there to be a reason to celebrate :D

He only had problem with people giving away FREE games to qualify. Not cheap/bundle games.

Since I had time to dwell on it The Last of Us is a poor stealth game with an above average story. Likely none of that has changed so despite my disdain of the act of trying to quantify subjective enjoyment by metrics 8 out of 10 would be pretty stellar in my view. Better watch my back in case the beanie avatar brigade are about.

Yeah can't agree with any of this.

AHA-Lambda

I don't agree with above average story (albeit it starts off really slow I think) but yeah mechanically it's really average. probably the most overrated game I've played in many many years.

They've only now just removed Securom??

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't look too much on Steam User Reviews.

didnt you hear, Steam User Reviews are the new Gaf metric for quality. Its part of the SteamGAF revolution... like the NWO, but without Hulk Hogan

RU/CIS countries accounted for just 5% of Steam's overall sales revenue last year. The trading scene is little more than a drop in a pond.

you say that but more and more games are getting locked recently

Grief.exe

I've been playing through Dark Souls recently, and GFWL hasn't really been much of a problem at all with Dark Souls beyond a quick fix that I had to do when I first played the game. GFWL is atleast working with this game unlike my old experience with it back when Fallout 3 was still on it.

Was it different back at release? Fallout 3 has the lowest impact form of GFWL we have ever seen.

You can run the game entirely without it, and run xliveless if you want to get rid of it entirely.

Played more of Risen 3.

I'm kinda disappointed that the preview build is not set in the beginning. Now I'm on an island - skilled and geared - and it's quite impossible to follow the story. Well heck, at the moment I'm looking for people who wants to be with me on board so we could fight the ghost ships.

But despite all of that; I really like Risen 3 so far. The combat is getting better, since I'm getting more used to it. It's kinda a mix between The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls. It's not that hard. After a few hours I finally could beat a known enemy without getting a fleshwound.

I realized that there's amazingly much to do in Risen 3. I love it. Today I've done some knife throwing, drinking contests and arm wrestling in the tavern after midnight. Funny detail about drinking contests is that you should find drunken idiots in the back of the tavern, because they are the most easy opponents to win money from.

It's a pity there are no marks for quests, so you have to find the quests on your own. Once you have them, it's a bit puzzling since there's no good overview of the quests.

About the bugs? I've seen one great bug - where the person you've rescued follows you and after one seconds he stops for no reason, all the time - but for the rest it's quite okay. Some few glitches with the camera, but that's all.

Risen 3 is looking so good, really loved that 'Back to the Basics' trailer.

Looking forward to more of your impressions.

Same here (first I heard that Terraria was finally getting achievements). Don't Starve honestly should have them as well considering they're apparently mandatory on PSN games and Klei had to add them when they made the port, but never bothered to retroactively add them to PC.

I'm personally waiting on Dark Souls, DiRT3, and Dawn of War II to get achievements (and removal of GFWL).

I would love to jump back into Don't Starve, but I really want them to add in achievements as well.

Dawn of War II's app is constantly seeing updates and even has Steam achievements attached to it, but Dark Souls never gets updated.
New depot was added to RE5 the other day.

StAidan

With that out of the way has anyone here had any experience with the Mayflash WiiU Pro Controller PC adapter? Saw a thread on here and it sounds like the best solution at the moment. Tried the unofficial driver/program from GBATemp and it really doesn't play well with my Bluetooth dongle so I'd be shelling out anyway.

I use it and love it. Works great both on my gaming PC (Windows 8.1) and on my streaming PC running SteamOS. I want to buy a second one so I don't have to keep moving mine back and forth between the two.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
RU/CIS countries accounted for just 5% of Steam's overall sales revenue last year. The trading scene is little more than a drop in a pond.

The problem are not the russian but the buyers. AMIRITE American friend?
:p

I will not have another Arkham City happen and my saves be deleted.

Same here (first I heard that Terraria was finally getting achievements).

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/an-update-on-things.154239/

Was surprised to find DOW2 has achievements now when I looked yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom