• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

It's a pity there are no marks for quests, so you have to find the quests on your own. Once you have them, it's a bit puzzling since there's no good overview of the quests.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Glowing exclamation marks over people's heads followed by glowing arrows telling you where to go followed by a hefty reward of gold, experience, and items for delivering the mail has got to be the worst trend in RPGs.

Hugstable

Banned
Was it different back at release? Fallout 3 has the lowest impact form of GFWL we have ever seen.

You can run the game entirely without it, and run xliveless if you want to get rid of it entirely.

Back when Fallout 3 was relased (It was either the original game or the GOTY version that used to have GFWL) it used to crash all the time and my saves would have been deleted. I don't know if it was just me or what, but I pretty much gave up on trying to play Fallout 3 a long time ago because of it. Still never got back into the game since, even though I should considering how much I loved New Vegas. I think I put atleast 120 hours into New Vegas exploring so much of the map.

rtcn63

theres always money for tits

tits-o.gif

Egamer

You say that like it's a bad thing. Glowing exclamation marks over people's heads following by glowing arrows telling you where to go followed by a hefty reward of gold, experience, and items for delivering the mail has got to be the worst trend in RPGs.

Not obviously a bad thing, but sometimes it's needed to get a good overview of the town - in my opinion.

rtcn63

Sure, but when there are 460 negative reviews, 0 positive, and most of them complain about the game being abandoned in a broken state I think it's probably safe to trust the reviews.

What if that's really just one Adam Sessler review separated into 460 parts?

He only had problem with people giving away FREE games to qualify. Not cheap/bundle games.

The person stated free/exploited games. One can get into the semantics of what that means but my point remains in regards to what i felt may have led to the sentiment that Rhaknar's noticed pertaining to folks perhaps feeling a sense of judgment regarding their giveaways.

didnt you hear, Steam User Reviews are the new Gaf metric for quality. Its part of the SteamGAF revolution... like the NWO, but without Hulk Hogan

Every time a community gets annoyed you can expect a lot of negative reviews appearing. What is ironic is many "gamers" complain when a studio doesn't have a PR person to know how to address to the fanbase, but when other studio has someone dedicated to PR they'll also complain because all they get are canned answers.

Hugstable

Banned
With that out of the way has anyone here had any experience with the Mayflash WiiU Pro Controller PC adapter? Saw a thread on here and it sounds like the best solution at the moment. Tried the unofficial driver/program from GBATemp and it really doesn't play well with my Bluetooth dongle so I'd be shelling out anyway.

My brother bought one about a week ago and he now swears by the thing. Everything seemed to work perfect for him and he's been enjoying using the Pro Controller recently. I gotta find a replacement for my DS4 for a few weeks since I need to get it sent in to be fixed since my left analog stick started ripping, so I'm thinking I might pick me up one of the Mayflashes also before I sent out my DS4

Shantom

Great giveaway, but I have a serious question:

What makes Trails so great?

I've never played it and my awareness of it is only that there is hype, but not why it's hyped.
It has the best world building of any game I've played and a great cast of main characters. The main thing that makes me love the game though is the sense of adventure (it's very reminiscent of Grandia in that regard), and its sense of humour in the little details. For example, after you've opened a chest, you can examine it again to receive a little message disparaging you for being a thief, or an idiot for expecting something there, or whatever. It's a game with excellent writing that knows how to change tone very well, in short.

The battle system is pretty cool too. It's turn based, and a lot of the strategy is in trying to affect the turn order. This is because there are bonuses and penalties applied to specific turns, so, for example, you could focus on an enemy due to benefit from a heal so that you can kill him, and move your character up the order so he'll get it instead. The appeal is more in the story and characters than this though. Don't be expecting something like Ys.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This reminds me of some BBC program that made the rounds a few years back where they found that people with excessive brand loyalty had the same neurological reaction to their brand's icon as people of faith do to religious imagery. Could explain the Jyllands-Posten reaction we see to middling review scores.

That's a really interesting connection, when you think about it.

Sony and Microsoft spend so much money to build a brand that people get behind (and, conversely, people wish to separate themselves from). There is a lot to be said of the human condition and how much of our identity is constructed not just from the people who we aspire to be but by the people who we claim we are not. It's two-fold and it exists from the top to the lowest level of gaming enthusiasm.

I have a PS4 because you'd have to be stupid and flushed with cash to buy an Xbone.

I play Battlefield because you'd have to be an easily-pleased moron to play Call of Duty.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you say that but more and more games are getting locked recently

I think the perception there is less evidence of an upward trend and more a continued ebb and flow. Call of Duty has been region-locked since BLOPS 2, Deep Silver has been region-locking its games since SR4, Ubi began region-locking last year with Rayman Legends, etc.

Just started into Guacamelee recently. And I have to say that I'm really digging the first few hours. The setting is amusing and original, the combat is punchy and has some combo depth, and the art style is one of my favorites in years. Also I have a soft spot for games that have grappling in them (stuff like Double Dragon 2 and Streets of Rage used to be some of my favorites) so I love all the throw finishing move options.

Volimar

It has the best world building of any game I've played and a great cast of main characters. The main thing that makes me love the game though is the sense of adventure (it's very reminiscent of Grandia in that regard), and its sense of humour in the little details. For example, after you've opened a chest, you can examine it again to receive a little message disparaging you for being a thief, or an idiot for expecting something there, or whatever. It's a game with excellent writing that knows how to change tone very well, in short.

The battle system is pretty cool too. It's turn based, and a lot of the strategy is in trying to affect the turn order. This is because there are bonuses and penalties applied to specific turns, so, for example, you could focus on an enemy due to benefit from a heal so that you can kill him, and move your character up the order so he'll get it instead. The appeal is more in the story and characters than this though. Don't be expecting something like Ys.

Wow, this post hyped me more than the train pics.

Teppic

Browsing weeklong deals is so annoying. I click on a game that seems interesting to find out more about it, then I go back to check the other deals and everything has shuffled.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the perception there is less evidence of an upward trend and more a continued ebb and flow. Call of Duty has been region-locked since BLOPS 2, Deep Silver has been region-locking its games since SR4, Ubi began region-locking last year with Rayman Legends, etc.

but I just bought Ghosts from russia on the summer sale

Turfster

Browsing weeklong deals is so annoying. I click on a game that seems interesting to find out more about it, then I go back to check the other deals and everything has shuffled.
Yup, same thing with the game lists and searches.
The only way to browse Steam is in a modern browser with tabs, so one that's less than like, what, 7 years old? =p
(Seriously, Valve, fix your stupid browser based client)

dmix90

Interesting that they forgot to lock COD Ghosts Gold Edition and SRIV Game of the Century Edition. Looks like if there is no russian retail version(edition) of the game, publishers don't actually want to region lock them.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I liked Ghosts. Loved the space area, wish there were more of it. My nephew very quickly took the game over. He has a clan and everything. He also has better k/d/a than me. Dammit.

kids these days ... *sigh*

The Gold Edition isn't region-locked for some bizarre reason, but the two editions it replaced were.

desperation perhaps? ;)

Use the web version and use tabs. Or if you must use the client, hold control and click a game. It'll open in a new window.

Dr Dogg

I use it and love it. Works great both on my gaming PC (Windows 8.1) and on my streaming PC running SteamOS. I want to buy a second one so I don't have to keep moving mine back and forth between the two.

My brother bought one about a week ago and he now swears by the thing. Everything seemed to work perfect for him and he's been enjoying using the Pro Controller recently. I gotta find a replacement for my DS4 for a few weeks since I need to get it sent in to be fixed since my left analog stick started ripping, so I'm thinking I might pick me up one of the Mayflashes also before I sent out my DS4

Ah top stuff folks I have a look in as they're really cheaper than I expected. Plus being both Xinput and direct Input is an added bonus for legacy support.

BruteUA

It's not my birthday and I have financial obligations elsewhere, so I can only give out the proceeds of my card sales. I have failed you all.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BruteUA, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pool Nation -- MB-276F7D6B0E075794 - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut -- MB-3FA38EA4CF052DE8 - Taken by fernandes. 3 entrants total.

t1406570440z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I don't know how it happened, I never got an email or notice saying anything had changed, but somehow Valve has released the constraints on my account and I'm free to buy games again. Perhaps saying I wasn't satisfied in that email survey they sent me whipped them into action.

To celebrate, here is a giveaway for the thread with one of my favourite sports games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Please consider donating to help the Hollow Children Home Charity fund. Think globally, be replaced locally.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pool Nation -- MB-541FE89589A2EDBB - Taken by nightstorm. 7 entrants total.
A title that brings the fun, joy, and sense of success when accomplishing great shots even to someone like me who doesn't enjoy pool in real life.

t1406570320z1.png

I'll also be giving some games directly through Steam to random friends. Only a few here and there as money is lacking at the moment, but some fun small stuff to be sure.

Parsnip

Anyone here who played Stranded? Steam reviews seem a bit rough, so I figured I'd ask you guys as well.

Also, I'm very tempted by Speedball 2, lots of fond memories of Brutal Deluxe on Amiga way back when.

Teppic

Use the web version and use tabs. Or if you must use the client, hold control and click a game. It'll open in a new window.
Holding control does nothing. I know I can use the browser version, but it takes longer time to go that route. I'm also not logged in if I want to buy something.

jblank83

Browsing anything on Steam is annoying. It's 2014 and I can only scroll through "top 100" lists 10 at a time, and if I click on number 37 to get info about it I have to start over at 1 if I want to keep browsing.

Add tabs. Let me open a game's store/community/forum/etc page in its own tab. Problem solved.

Shadownet

Banned
Me neither :-(

Vr36y4W.png

I'm not good at this but I got you mate.

-------------
The person stated free/exploited games. One can get into the semantics of what that means but my point remains in regards to what i felt may have led to the sentiment that Rhaknar's noticed pertaining to folks perhaps feeling a sense of judgment regarding their giveaways.

I can understand what you mean, but if I get 100 copies of Bioshock or something. I would do a garbage dump, because I didn't do spend anything on it so I should reap the benefit of it adding to my megagiver status. humble bundle games and stuff you actually spent something on is different. Thats my opinion on it.

I found most of the gameplay to be only slightly above average. But man, that story. Loved it.

I can agree with this. I loved the story, the atmosphere and the characters.

Vuze

Screw "Only If". Just started it for some Playfire money (it's F2P) and as usual, I give those games a chance. I expected a nice, relaxed adventure from the screens and description.

Only If is a surreal first person adventure-puzzle game. You play as Anthony Clyde, who, after a heavy night of partying, wakes up to find himself in an unfamiliar bed with no memory of the previous night's events.

Literally one minute and two "jumpscares" later I find myself in a SAW-like situation. No thanks, can't stand Psych/Horror stuff ;-;

Now that I take one more look at the screenshots, the burning windmill should have made me suspicous.

abracadaver

Daikatana the "cult classic"

romero_launch_daikataqmuqj.jpg

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Daikatana -- MB-1F5756F8D20D18F0 - Taken by Crimsonclaw111. 1 entrants total.

t1406570873z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom