• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baust

Humble Humongous Entertainment bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Putt-putt Joins the Parade
  • Freddi Fish and the case of the missing kep seeds
TIER 2: BTA
  • Putt Putt Goes to the Moon
  • Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside
  • Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
TIER 3: 20$
  • Humongous Complete Pack

I can feel the nostalgia rushing through my body!

With Greenlight being on the chopping block, games being stuck in the abyss isn't really something that's worth worrying over. Either they'll get a much-needed shot in the arm or they'll release on Steam once Valve dismantles Greenlight, which should happen within the next 6 or so months.

Should, yeah :p

Would be nice to get something at gamescom

Caerith

It has the best world building of any game I've played and a great cast of main characters. The main thing that makes me love the game though is the sense of adventure (it's very reminiscent of Grandia in that regard), and its sense of humour in the little details. For example, after you've opened a chest, you can examine it again to receive a little message disparaging you for being a thief, or an idiot for expecting something there, or whatever. It's a game with excellent writing that knows how to change tone very well, in short.

The battle system is pretty cool too. It's turn based, and a lot of the strategy is in trying to affect the turn order. This is because there are bonuses and penalties applied to specific turns, so, for example, you could focus on an enemy due to benefit from a heal so that you can kill him, and move your character up the order so he'll get it instead. The appeal is more in the story and characters than this though. Don't be expecting something like Ys.
Thanks for the write-up. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

That's a really interesting connection, when you think about it.

Sony and Microsoft spend so much money to build a brand that people get behind (and, conversely, people wish to separate themselves from). There is a lot to be said of the human condition and how much of our identity is constructed not just from the people who we aspire to be but by the people who we claim we are not. It's two-fold and it exists from the top to the lowest level of gaming enthusiasm.

I have a PS4 because you'd have to be stupid and flushed with cash to buy an Xbone.

I play Battlefield because you'd have to be an easily-pleased moron to play Call of Duty.
That ressentiment puts exclusive-begging in an interesting perspective. Exclusives aren't good for people who play games (if you don't own the platform, you can't play them) and they aren't good for developers (fewer people your game can be marketed to), but you see people in one camp or another fervently praying for this or that big game to be denied to each other. It either takes a lot of hate to be that zealous, or a lot of zeal to be that hateful.

I hope it turns out well. The pewdiepie gameplay preview had me thinking it was more of a 3rd person shooter than a classic Mikami game.

well to be fair RE4 is a third person shooter and it's one of the best games mikami worked on (and i find it to be the best third person shooter ever made)
if evil within manages to capture the greatness of RE4 i'll be really pleased

i remember that thread about the RPS 2013 goty list
most of them were indies

10 pages of people calling them hipsters, garbage list and "no the last of us ?"
then john walker posted and quoted among other posts one that read "but what if they just picked games they liked *gasp*" and he answered "ding ding ding"

gud times

That thread was gold.

So is it ok or not to give away a bunch of people Landmark Beta steam gifts using Modbot or not seeing as it is basically F2P I think? Don't want to piss anyone off!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
God damn it, at least put me next to JaseC, so that I can mack with Saoirse. :\

Hey now, look but don't touch. ;)

We can always have a Saoirse sandwich.

hannawhat12oma.gif

The 20$ tier is

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds

Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse

Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell

Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch

Freddi Fish 5: The Case of the Creature of Coral Cove

Freddi Fish and Luther's Water Worries

Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness

Pajama Sam's Lost & Found

Pajama Sam's Sock Works

Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening

Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet

Pajama Sam 4: Life Is Rough When You Lose Your Stuff!

Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside

Putt-Putt Enters the Races

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon

Putt-Putt Joins the Circus

Putt-Putt Joins the Parade

Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo

Putt-Putt Travels Through Time

Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear's Activity Pack

Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama

Putt-Putt and Pep's Dog on a Stick

Putt-Putt: Pep's Birthday Surprise

Spy Fox 2 "Some Assembly Required"

Spy Fox 3 "Operation Ozone"

Spy Fox In: "Hold the Mustard"

Spy Fox In: Cheese Chase

Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"

Humble Humongous Entertainment bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Putt-putt Joins the Parade
  • Freddi Fish and the case of the missing kep seeds
TIER 2: BTA
  • Putt Putt Goes to the Moon
  • Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside
  • Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
TIER 3: 20$
  • Humongous Complete Pack

Pretty good. I think my 6 year old daughter is at the perfect age for these.

$20 tier Humble Flash Bundle bought. Best bundle in a while to be honest.

You get one key for the complete pack plus keys for the games in the $1 and BTA tier (which are already included in the complete pack) so if anyone want those PM me with your mail and I'll gift all of them to you. Not worth doing it through modbot.

Edit: Gone.

Nabs

Oh hey, I won Proxy Blade Zero! Nice (and congrats on the release). I'd stream this later, but I'm really bad at playing new games on stream. Hmm.

So is it ok or not to give away a bunch of people Landmark Beta steam gifts using Modbot or not seeing as it is basically F2P I think? Don't want to piss anyone off!

As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want. You survived Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter.

Idea: "I survived Serious Sam" buttons.

most of them were indies

10 pages of people calling them hipsters, garbage list and "no the last of us ?"
then john walker posted and quoted among other posts one that read "but what if they just picked games they liked *gasp*" and he answered "ding ding ding"

gud times

people also ignored it's a PC site. Of course they didn't pick TLoU...

Grief.exe

most of them were indies

gud times

Sounds like a disaster.

Feel free.

Oh hey, I won Proxy Blade Zero! Nice (and congrats on the release). I'd stream this later, but I'm really bad at playing new games on stream. Hmm.

As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want. You survived Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter.

Idea: "I survived Serious Sam" buttons.

haha. I am stupidly going to try and stay up tonight to at least play a bit of Serious Sam 2 so I can compare which one is the worst!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT TOO!?

God dang it, I want those Nancy Drew games, but there's so goddamn many.

I picked up the
less than complete
complete pack on Steam during the last sale.

I'll probably never play any of them.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm getting the $20 tier. I'm not even joking.

PUUT-PUTT TRAVELS THROUGH TIME~

I'm going to have to ask you to review that the same way you do Survival Horror, and by the same basis. The world needs to know the tension and fear that comes from Putt-Putt.

It has the best world building of any game I've played and a great cast of main characters. The main thing that makes me love the game though is the sense of adventure (it's very reminiscent of Grandia in that regard), and its sense of humour in the little details. For example, after you've opened a chest, you can examine it again to receive a little message disparaging you for being a thief, or an idiot for expecting something there, or whatever. It's a game with excellent writing that knows how to change tone very well, in short.

The battle system is pretty cool too. It's turn based, and a lot of the strategy is in trying to affect the turn order. This is because there are bonuses and penalties applied to specific turns, so, for example, you could focus on an enemy due to benefit from a heal so that you can kill him, and move your character up the order so he'll get it instead. The appeal is more in the story and characters than this though. Don't be expecting something like Ys.

Hmm, that's actually not what I thought the game was at all. Still all that sounds quite good, and I'm always open to a RPG that really takes on the sense of adventure again, so good work, you sold me on it.

Every time i see the Evil Within it makes me wish that shadows of the damned got a pc release. That was the closest thing to an RE4 sequel that we've had since re4 : /

derExperte

What about "Depth of fear: Knossos"?

I think I may have read some positive feedback about this game somewhere here on GAF.

Could've been from me, you run through dungeons, fight strange creatures out of greek mythology with a big boss every few levels, buy weapons and listen to strange 80s synth tunes. Done by one guy, very weird, buy for this price.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/29/roguelike-horror-depths-of-fear-review/

Knossos may be a snack but it’s an unusual and interesting taste that may well be ignored. If any of these paragraphs make it sound appealing, for the price of a pint it’s a taste I’d advise you to acquire. It’s an easy game to mock, an easy game to dismiss and it occasionally seems unfinished or unaware of its best qualities. But within the crude corridors of the labryinth, something horrible is hunting and it’s well worth digging deeper to find out precisely what that is.

most of them were indies

gud times

The thread about PC Gamer (I think) declaring Spelunky the GOTY was wonderful too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
and they are never more than 50% :(

I know! I want them, but for a cheaper price point as so many and just... Pft.

I picked up the
less than complete
complete pack on Steam during the last sale.

I'll probably never play any of them.

There's actually a few I want to play, some are horror themed and I'm aware that a few of them are actually supposed to be pretty good adventure games.

Others are supposedly crappy, though.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm not sure if anyone care to see, but I took a snapshot off all the gifts I recieved for my birthday from you generous gafers. I just want to say thank you to all of those people, and even if you didnt gift me anything, your awesome birthday wishes was more than enough. :) I did had an awesome day.

Here is the link

I think I missed some.

But thank you to:
lashman for The Cat Lady
Huggie for 100% OJ
billmcdougal for (well actually he helped me out with the giveaway, a lot of help)
Nito & Dunder, Ventara, and AngerdX too for helping out. couldn't have done it without them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure if anyone care to see, but I took a snapshot off all the gifts I recieved for my birthday from you generous gafers. I just want to say thank you to all of those people, and even if you didnt gift me anything, your awesome birthday wishes was more than enough. :) I did had an awesome day.

Here is the link

I think I missed some.

But thank you to:
lashman for The Cat Lady
Huggie for 100% OJ
billmcdougal for (well actually he helped me out with the giveaway, a lot of help)
Nito & Dunder, Ventara, and AngerdX too for helping out. couldn't have done it without them.

Nice haul. I received a bundle game key for my birthday... but I couldn't complain even if I wanted to as it was more than I was expecting. ;)

ModBot said:
Instructions for PrematureQuiche:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PrematureQuiche, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Landmark #2 -- MB-4235A59E58AFA509 - Taken by bakeray. 2 entrants total.
Landmark #3 -- MB-05F526E490CBC726 - Taken by jshackles. 5 entrants total.
Landmark #1 -- MB-FCA3E1591596C33D - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 4 entrants total.

t1406572913z1.png

opps forgot about this! edit - also not for CiM 2 but for Landmark that is currently in Early Access!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nice haul. I received a bundle game key for my birthday... but I couldn't complain even if I wanted to as it was more than I was expecting. ;)

next time advertise your bday on the thread

Shadownet

Banned
How is payday 2 matchmaking?Is is full of leavers and kickers? Got enough money from cards to afford a 4 key deal.

It's only really fun if you play with people who communicate, if you can find some gaf members to play with. Thats usually is the best. Random people tend to range from really nice to complete a-hole. I got kicked a bunch of times for no reason.

If you want to play, add me :)

lashman, frost, sub, angerdX, wilflare, The Dear Leader (40oz), Vulgaran, Huggie, Jawmuncher, and quite a few people on SteamGAF play it :)

DON'T FORGET ABOUT hekk! aka GOOCH! GOOCH IS THE BEST! GOOCH IS CRAZY!

Dr Dogg

Sounds like a disaster.

Isn't it always when review scores and ranking lists are concerned because SHOCK HORROR people can have different opinions on media that would be for the most part subjective. I mean we're both rational people and have different likes and dislikes when it comes to games. I mean I love Assassin's Creed whilst you think it's garbage but we both have the courtesy to respect each other opinions. And when the stars align and we both agree on something like Resident Evil 4 we have a good long chat about it's merits and failings. Christ I could even have a conversation with Derrick about why he didn't like a game and at least get a full and flesh out answer from him every time, even if I didn't agree with him.

If you stop focusing on the number but start focusing on the body content of the review then you get to know the author a little better instead of quantifying their own subjective opinion to your own ratings scale. It's pointless (ha!)

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe you didn't have experience with how horrible teenagers can be to girls but that scene is hardly extreme. If anything she should have had the shit beat out of her and been paraded through the streets. I've seen pretty exact scenarios where for god knows why a group of girls will try to convince a girl they don't like that someone else does to humiliate them. Teenagers(particularly 7/8th graders) are the scum of the earth.
well i guess that might be a culture thing. i used to hang out with girls more than boys when i was that age and like i never heard anything like that (and believe me i know my share of messed up girls)

i know girls are more cruel to each other and all that, i've see than myself too, but like in that scene they literally put out a cigarette on her arm

like what the actual fuck

but yea might be that american girls are all psychos

Beyond does get silly towards the end but I think it's his best game. It's legitimately fun to play and it allows you experiment with Aiden in some brilliant ways. Jodie's development is affected by how Aiden acts, and honestly I didn't want to make him a horrible destructive devil which speaks to the game's characterization of her to some degree. In most games I'd send him on a rampage in every positive instance.
eh i think quite the opposite. i never have any fun (i'll never play this slog again) and i feel aiden is basically a glorified progress button that never amounts to anything of substance. aiden can barely leave jodie's room so you're always locked into what she can see so rarely you can use him to overhear an interesting situation or read some important documents or find secrets (except when you literally find "BONUSES" lol) or whatever

i think some scenes are pretty sweet (for a videogame) but as a whole, game's a trainwreck. i make aiden kill everyone i can just because of how awfully boring the game is, which never happened to me with heavy rain.

like you could say he should just make a movie but a movie wouldn't make you waste so much time in dumb stuff like multiple scenes of jodie going to parties and parties going to shit cos she gets groped and so aiden goes on a killing spree. it's like they know you're getting bored after a long talking scene (which is funny since those are ok) so they just give you some goons for you to toy with

and don't even get me started with the demon slapping scenes

And the bit where you're getting documents obviously shows Jodie as a CIA operative at which point the game breaks off and shows how she got there. The game stops jumping around towards the end and it all comes together well enough.
i know, just saying having a non-ironic training montage scene in 2010+ is ridiculous

I... didn't have that.
Hell, I don't even remember going to a bar =p
i read you can miss the bar scene if you pick a wrong dialogue choice

it's when she's going on her goth phase i guess

game has more reactivity than i was giving it credit for. problem it's so dull to play i can't see myself going through it again (and unskippable cutscenes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom