• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
How is payday 2 matchmaking?Is is full of leavers and kickers? Got enough money from cards to afford a 4 key deal.

I say wait for sale or free weekend (I'm guessing the next one will be on halloween). The dlc can really improve your weapons (prioritise gage courier for mods, shotgun dlc for shotties and melee weapons)

Also shadownet forgot about me again

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Are you the type of person who enjoyed those old LEGO Island games, the freedom to build things and just travel around the world?
Perhaps you were a fan of Banjo and Kazooie's Nuts and Bolts , but had a desire to play against other people rather than the standard A.I. in the world.
You could also be someone who liked the idea of MineCraft, but wanted to build things and fight like World of Tanks/Planes.

Well there is a new game worth checking out called Robocraft.

An early access title free to play MMO where you and others set up in an open world and as long as you have the cubes and in game currency, you can build to your heart's content cars, robots, or planes that resemble most anything. All to take part in battle against others and their creations in a quest to gain the most items and currency to build even more vehicles
Team battles allow for strategy, good use of team work, and a number of ways to attack that even though it is still mostly tank warfare as a basis, holds enough that I can see it being good fun for a lot of people once people start getting into it and online players stop acting as though it's a free for all.

One battle I saw a Robot Jox fighting a giant Wasp ship that were ambushed by a loosely looking replica of Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal. A friend of mine is working on Mega Zords from Power Rangers, another the Blaster Master Tank, the other giant bricks because he has no imagination at all, but all are having fun. There is just a lot you can make here, and that may be worth a look if nothing else.
Note that the game is still early and the look of the vehicles created aren't going to be the prettiest things yet, but Early Access and they are doing a good job improving them so far.

There are some faults to the game at it's current stage.

It doesn't do a very good job explaining what you are building or how you are building the vehicles. With enough effort and time one gets past this with just experimentation for actually building a robot or a plane or a car of their desire, but that is an issue to those who need help or get frustrated by creation tools that are just thrown at you.
Beyond that though is how health is determined, which is tied to how many blocks are used on your robot and where. You can make something look cool, but that can result in being rather vulnerable and easy to break apart, which the game doesn't state. Check online for tips and guides.

Physics can be off at times. At times being attacked feels like tanks getting shot, at other points a simple bump can send you flying and I'm never quite sure why.

There is no balance to matchmaking yet, it really is early and just set up to throw everyone together. So be warned early on you can fight people who have spent a lot of time on the game and have earned enough in-game money to have the best supplies.

Some have reported issues of the mouse locking up and being unusable. No know reason why.

Despite those issues, I still believe there is fun and enjoyment to be had and in time the game could really become something special. It's free to play, so no harm in trying now if again you like to build things and/or World of Tanks type set-up. I could also see it being somewhat entertaining to a group of people who work together to treat it like a Transformers game, fighting over Energon (the cubes) while constantly shooting lasers everywhere with no care at all about the environment.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Gift #6 -- MB-711C5712BAFAC4F2 - Taken by NaM. 3 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #5 -- MB-E191BF6B9A3D3A4C - Taken by ReduxMachine. 3 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #4 -- MB-C48E86C3BAA0A824 - Taken by KevMan1815. 10 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #3 -- MB-D792DA0531FC6B18 - Taken by Darkroronoa. 11 entrants total.
Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-32351EF729841E70 - Taken by RS4-. 7 entrants total.
Mystery Gift -- MB-97CAFFA5FC3AC125 - Taken by Anteater. 3 entrants total.

t1406573633z1.png

Tizoc

Humble Humongous Entertainment bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Putt-putt Joins the Parade
  • Freddi Fish and the case of the missing kep seeds
TIER 2: BTA
  • Putt Putt Goes to the Moon
  • Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside
  • Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
TIER 3: 20$
  • Humongous Complete Pack

OH SHI! Awesome gonna pay for my Amex card soon and get this $20 is far cheaper than its price during the recent Summer Sale.
EDIT: CRAP IT'S A FLASH SALE.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these are steam! They seem to be Trailblazer Buddy packs. No idea what that is but it seems to be some kind of Beta key!

I stand corrected, thought it was just the beta keys like the ones Curse was handing out for example.

edit: wait it sounds like it is? im confused

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
No one said happy birthday to me on my birthday...

No one knew it was my birthday, but I find that to be a poor excuse.

hey - no one wished me happy birthday either ... that was before I started posting here - but that's no excuse either!! ;)

Are you the type of person who enjoyed those old LEGO Island games, the freedom to build things and just travel around the world?
Perhaps you were a fan of Banjo and Kazooie's Nuts and Bolts , but had a desire to play against other people rather than the standard A.I. in the world.
You could also be someone who liked the idea of MineCraft, but wanted to build things and fight like World of Tanks/Planes.

You had me at Nuts

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds -- MB-A084F7978FDFD04B
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade -- MB-567B6679303CB65C - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" -- MB-2284DA970E143306 - Taken by Maxwood. 3 entrants total.
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon -- MB-A7382CED732BE3E4 - Taken by zkylon. 3 entrants total.
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse -- MB-F527057108D76880 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-33F22FC0CAF5A0F6 - Taken by Newblade. 1 entrants total.

t1406583654z1.png

Time to give you all some EDUCATION!
tumblr_motnksqT701rwlv96o1_400.gif

Shadownet

Banned
no :lol these are the free normal passes you get for purchasing it! I'm doing my giveaways here tomorrow!

these are steam! They seem to be Trailblazer Buddy packs. No idea what that is but it seems to be some kind of Beta key!

Yeah I got 4 of those too. ^_^ thanks again. It would be pretty cool if buying the Trailblazer DLC get you 4 additional Trailblazer packs. instead of regular ones.

There are some pretty nice items in the Trailblazer one.

oh hey my birthday is in like...3 months and a week

*noted*

Dr Dogg

Well there is a new game worth checking out called Robocraft.

Someone started a thread a while back asking for games where you build things, this fits the bill perfectly (with an added dose of vehicular combat to boot). They're a rare bread these days but I got hook for a short while playing that Angry Birds spin off Bad Piggies. This already looks quite fleshed out so might have to add it to the every growing to watch pile.

Landmark #2 -- MB-4235A59E58AFA509 - Taken by bakeray
Landmark #3 -- MB-05F526E490CBC726 - Taken by jshackles. 5 entrants total.
Landmark #1 -- MB-FCA3E1591596C33D - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 4 entrants total.

hope you enjoy this!

Yeah I got 4 of those too. ^_^ thanks again. It would be pretty cool if buying the Trailblazer DLC get you 4 additional Trailblazer packs. instead of regular ones.

There are some pretty nice items in the Trailblazer one.

I can't see anything online saying what they actually are! I have to assume it is just access without any of the stuff but hopefully you are right :D

edit - PossumMeat correcting me

19:44 - PossumMeat: From the community manager:
19:44 - PossumMeat: So, if you purchase a Trailblazer pack, you will be granted four keys to give to your friends/family/guildies that will get them UNLIMITED ACCESS TO CLOSED BETA!

Please note: these keys do not include any of the items that come from the Settler's Founder's Pack, so if you're interested in those items, you will still need to purchase a pack. Also, these shareable keys only come in the Trailblazer pack; if you purchased an Explorer pack and would like the keys, you'll need to upgrade your pack to Trailblazer.

shame!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man I wish these ArcheAge packs had actual beta access and not just beta events, for what they fucking cost they should have full beta access :/

Landmark #2 -- MB-4235A59E58AFA509 - Taken by bakeray
Landmark #3 -- MB-05F526E490CBC726 - Taken by jshackles. 5 entrants total.
Landmark #1 -- MB-FCA3E1591596C33D - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 4 entrants total.

hope you enjoy this!

I can't see anything online saying what they actually are! I have to assume it is just access without any of the stuff but hopefully you are right :D

edit - PossumMeat correcting me

shame!

so I was correct, its just normal beta keys :p I demand an apology Quiche, or I shall unleash the hounds on your ass!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm going to have to ask you to review that the same way you do Survival Horror, and by the same basis. The world needs to know the tension and fear that comes from Putt-Putt.

I played Putt-Putt Travels through Time as a kid, so I can write that review right now.

header_292x136.jpg

Putt-Putt Travels Through Time is a 2D puzzle-adventure game about an anthropomorphic car who breaks a hole in the time-space continuum, finding himself unable to return to his own time period. While lost and wandering through time portals, he comes across a series of thematic living vehicles, who he must help to find his way back home.

Putt-Putt features point'n'click gameplay, allowing you to click on spots for Putt-Putt to travel too. Interacting with objects and characters have a variety of effects. Finding items and back-tracking are crucial, as well as a bit of problem-solving to find your way. Typically none of the solutions are too difficult, but do require some attention to the environment and dialogue of the character, and working steps ahead to find the correct solution.

And that's something to be said about Putt-Putt Travels Through Time, it has some wonderful attention to detail. The characters are nicely animated, and there's a variety of small tasks you can do for really no other reason than to do it. In the future area, you can play stylistic arcade games, like a 3D pong rip-off, or change Putt-Putt's color, which you can then drive around with freely, for no other reason than to do it. It's this attention to detail that helps make each environment more of a joy to explore, and helps break the tedium of going back and forth collecting items.

But there is something more to Putt-Putt's traveling through time.

ss_09c6264be2ee8d32084a47e26b9be967df5744e3.600x338.jpg

Somewhere along your way you may begin to notice a somewhat disturbing revelation about the events transpiring around you. You travel freely between the age of dinosaurs, the medieval ages, the old west, and the future... But there's themes here that are only lightly hinted at, but the implications are a bit grim. As the course of the game goes on, you'll start to realize that despite the fact Putt-Putt is traveling through definitely human timelines, he and everyone else here are anthropomorphic vehicles. This is made stranger as there are human artifacts laying around and depictions of man, but no sign of anything remotely human.

There's Dinosaurs, and birds, and even dragons, but nothing man-like. And everything seems idealized. The future is perfect. the age of dinosaurs is peaceful, the medieval ages are rather kind... It's almost picture perfect. The cars are kind, the vehicles are welcoming. They don't ask too many questions. They just ask you to do.

And as you do the tasks, and find your way back home, you yourself begin to realize that your actions in one time period are effecting others. While most changes are a bit superficial, some change the core of the timeline.

And this is when it hit me. Putt-Putt Travels Through Time is more than just a game about collecting items and problem solving and back-tracking. Putt-Putt is an origin story for the series, as we find through Putt-Putt's actions, vehicles come to rise in power. There are no vehicles in the oldest time era Putt-Putt can go too, the age of Dinosaurs, but he creates them in his own image. From his altering of the timeline, he wipes the sin of the world, mankind, and creates the rise of societal vehicles in their place. And the worst part, they are better than us. They rule and respect each other better than man respects man.

ss_4459aa453fe2fe7e7b216606398061cb1143b37e.600x338.jpg

Putt-Putt is a social commentary about a boy named Putt-Putt. It has fun distractions, and not overly complicated logic puzzle solving, backed with a catchy and upbeat soundtrack. However, beneath the picture-esque lies a tale of effects time travel can have on society, and how man's own constant drive towards improvement, the unknown, and conquer will be its inevitable downfall as what we create surpasses what we are. And when humanity's downfall comes, the machines front areas will grimace and morph into terrifying permanent smiles, the smiles you see throughout every vehicle in Putt-Putt Travels Through Time, an eternal, terrifying happiness and satisfaction these vehicles feel to be alive, to be free, to have overcome the filthy, lazy, and sinful beings of humanity. Educational, indeed.

Of decent length, it lacks replay value, but might be worth a try for those who like educational and adventure games. A bit easy, but a fun little ride into an alternative time travel story.

I'm not sure if anyone care to see, but I took a snapshot off all the gifts I recieved for my birthday from you generous gafers. I just want to say thank you to all of those people, and even if you didnt gift me anything, your awesome birthday wishes was more than enough. :) I did had an awesome day.

Here is the link

I think I missed some.

But thank you to:
lashman for The Cat Lady
Huggie for 100% OJ
billmcdougal for (well actually he helped me out with the giveaway, a lot of help)
Nito & Dunder, Ventara, and AngerdX too for helping out. couldn't have done it without them.

Nice haul! I think it's safe to say it was eventful for both you and the rest of us :p

Nice haul. I received a bundle game key for my birthday... but I couldn't complain even if I wanted to as it was more than I was expecting. ;)

Isn't that only because you already have like all of the games?

zkylon

zkylewd
You're 26, you old hag!
i can't remember if i'm 26 or 27 (april 7th '88) and i can't be bothered to do the math

oh god

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds -- MB-A084F7978FDFD04B
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade -- MB-567B6679303CB65C - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" -- MB-2284DA970E143306 - Taken by Maxwood. 3 entrants total.
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon -- MB-A7382CED732BE3E4 - Taken by zkylon. 3 entrants total.
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse -- MB-F527057108D76880 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-33F22FC0CAF5A0F6 - Taken by Newblade. 1 entrants total.

t1406583654z1.png

Time to give you all some EDUCATION!
tumblr_motnksqT701rwlv96o1_400.gif
i entered putt putt goes to the moon since i used to play it as a kid

for the longest time i thought i had imagined its existence since no other kid remembers about it but me and my brother were big fans back in the day

we played it in spanish tho, "putt putt en la luna" <3

Bundle's up for a day, right? This will be the first time I buy an upper tier, since at least 21-22 good games + 6 extra keys is awesome. Humble's getting their mojo back.

Also, can someone please add me to the TitS hype train? I'd do it right now, but I'm still at work. Give me a seat next to Knurek pls.

Manik

Uh, this Humble Flash Bundle is straight up trolling.

It's great for any younger kids, though. Not so great when you can't play games with your friends because your 3 year old nephew is halfway through 'Putt Putt Goes To The Shops'...

Tantrums would ensue. From both sides.

Dr Dogg

Umh, I'm 29, am I the oldest "guy" in this thread?

Oh no you're not. I'd say that'll put you in the young 'uns section ;).

The Cat Lady is the weirdest game i've played in a long long time.

It does give an accurate description of the NHS though.

Hahaha well considering my last dabblings with them was wait 3 months for a referral or sort it out privately within a fortnight let alone the other countless times and experiences of grim hospitals I'm curious as to the synopsis of The Cat Lady now.

Lomax

OH SHI! Awesome gonna pay for my Amex card soon and get this $20 is far cheaper than its price during the recent Summer Sale.
EDIT: CRAP IT'S A FLASH SALE.

Buy it for a penny, you'll have a month to raise your payment to the full amount and get the rest of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom