• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Oh great, I've just beaten Trine Enchanted Ed. but the game decided to glitch out after I finished it (black screen, Steam overlay worked though)... no cheevo, no outro movie and apparently it didn't save the checkpoint I reached. Last level is kinda tedious so... guess I'll leave it at that. Otherwise a great little platformer and extremly pleasing visually.

I've been meaning to have a look at this again. Is it now running on the Trine 2 engine? One used to be a real resource hog when Physx were enabled. What's the performance like (bar the crash at the end of course)?

its impossible since they would just lie about it

and we are again, going way off topic as usual

Or say they're 12 or under and violate GAF's TOS.

And be smart and at least include something on topic in every post :p

zkylon

zkylewd
math - not even once ... ;)
yea, i'm feeling kinda sick and i have a massive headache so imma blame it on that

tho i regularly forget my age

i wanna say 26 but eh....

Umh, I'm 29, am I the oldest "guy" in this thread?
nah, olivia wilde guy (i can't remember your name but read the above pls forgive me i know you're really nice) is super old :>

Well, you could have prevented that from happening :p You can also eavesdrop on the guys with Aiden and find out their intentions long beforehand and act accordingly.
sorry missed your post

yea i probably shouldn't have slapped shady looking guy but you know who's idea of a party is a shady rapist bar in the middle of the woods :I

He gets writing assistance on his next game. Also one of the main game designers of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit came back for his next project. I think his directing is fine however, he got some great performances out of the actors as well.
i think some characters are really good (jodie, stan, mega hot shirtless navajo guy) but then there are very cringy characters (all the other homeless people, i swear the drunk black dude has GOT to be related to that black woman from dxhr)

my problem with his directing, tho, is its pacing. like it feels like he's wasting so much of my time, the story seems aimless and it's just so full of cliches, yuck :/

Omikron is the most "gamey" out of them all. It has an inventory, fighting gameplay etc.
Wolf Among Us is the usual Telltale fare I'm afraid, but the setting was a little bit more intriguing at least.
yea sadly omikron's really hard to find i think

like they got me at david bowie

I thought it all made sense in the end for a slice of life game. Each scene had its purpose in the story and for her character. The timeline shown before each chapter tied things together nicely and in the end there is an explanation given to why it's split up in the first place. I really liked the aspect of "ah so this is how she got to place X, here we probably learn how Y happened". Also the final stretch of the game is legitimately awesome IMO (both from gameplay and story perspective).
i love disjointed storytelling but imo this feels like it's hiding how weak the story in general is.

like the clash between jodie wanting to be a normal teenage girl and her learning to accept her powers and all that is cool, i love how there are scenes to support both parts of her personality but imo it's never very effective at it because of how overdone everything about it is

like how many scenes of "jodie tries to fit in- backfires" and "jodie makes a new family- leaves" do you need? it's not like it wasn't aping half a dozen movies that did it better in the first place :/

btw i kinda still enjoy the game, if i don't like something i usually just stop playing it, i'm just usually critical of everything cos i'm a petty being.

but like, i still remember my playthrough of heavy rain, i played it just like this, with friends all around the tv just debating what should i do, etc. and like heavy rain we beat in one nail-biting sitting (you know, with exceptions for eating, yelling "jason!", etc.) and we're already on the third session for this and we get bored half an hour into it every damn session.

and u know, it's in line with how i really don't care for superhero teenager stories

chronomac

The wife and I continued on with Gaucamelee yesterday. Strangely enough, the jumping bits of the game are a lot easier when it isn't 3 am and you're bleary eyed from sleep deprivation. The humor is still there and we're still having fun with it.

I really enjoyed my time with Guacamelee, despite the difficulty ramping up considerably at the end.

Has anyone heard word about Steam getting the Super Turbo Championship Edition?

yuraya

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27020/

lolol Amazing! The reviews are great :D

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition -- MB-219EDD65BB1004F1 - Taken by Deitus. 188 entrants total.

t1406578238z1.png

Deitus

yea, i'm feeling kinda sick and i have a massive headache so imma blame it on that

tho i regularly forget my age

i wanna say 26 but eh....

You're 26. I didn't bother to do the math, but you are 1 year younger than me apparently (almost to the day).

Parsnip

Oh great, I've just beaten Trine Enchanted Ed. but the game decided to glitch out after I finished it (black screen, Steam overlay worked though)... no cheevo, no outro movie and apparently it didn't save the checkpoint I reached. Last level is kinda tedious so... guess I'll leave it at that. Otherwise a great little platformer and extremly pleasing visually.
I've been meaning to replay it now that it's Enchanted.
I think I should look at their blog posts and stuff to see what all has changed, other than the addition of online co-op.

FloatOn

oh I failed to mention the other day that I bought the dark souls 2 dlc and man I'm rusty as hell.

I'm getting wrecked left and right.

eh i think quite the opposite. i never have any fun (i'll never play this slog again) and i feel aiden is basically a glorified progress button that never amounts to anything of substance. aiden can barely leave jodie's room so you're always locked into what she can see so rarely you can use him to overhear an interesting situation or read some important documents or find secrets (except when you literally find "BONUSES" lol) or whatever

i think some scenes are pretty sweet (for a videogame) but as a whole, game's a trainwreck. i make aiden kill everyone i can just because of how awfully boring the game is, which never happened to me with heavy rain.

That's the thing though, Aiden isn't really a gloried button press in terms of reactivity. How you make him act makes lasting impressions across the length of the game and how Jodie feels about him. Beyond is a lot more subtle in its branching than Heavy Rain. There have been a lot of responses where people have said things like "That didn't happen to me" and so on but Beyond doesn't make it obvious in the same way that Heaven Rain can when you have a character die.

As the game goes along Aiden can go, further and further out and its varied in what you can do. There are some clever puzzles and a decent amount of interactivity in terms of what you can react with if you experiment. It just seems like you're trying to find things to dislike. It's easily Quantic Dream's most reactive, gameplay focused game. Even the QTEs are rather limited with most action sequences given you full control where you can run, jump, and so on past obstacles.

no need; you're not ever going to post the giveaway are you? so you'll never get credit / no one will ever claim it?

Great, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't create any issues.

Anteater

I like the beyond two souls demo, haven't played the full game but freaking that old lady out as the ghost thing was more entertaining than I thought it would be...

Need to get all of my gaming in this week, just had a job interview that went pretty well so it seems like I'm going to be working flowback for a year. Will be working onsite and living in campsites 21 days on, and then a week off on average and I doubt I'll come back home every time. Can't take my desktop obviously ;-;

Of course the benefit is you make around 120K which is more than anything else I'd be making without a degree(or anything because I am a nursing student)

I like the beyond two souls demo, haven't played the full game but freaking that old lady out as the ghost thing was more entertaining than I thought it would be...

I think it's a really neat game. Has a surprising amount of interactivity with Aiden, some great characterization and development of Jodie, and moments where there is actually subtlety. Not to mention there is some great stuff with Jodie as a child which stands in stark contrast to Heavy Rain's hilarious uses of children. Of course there are out of place hollywood cliches that pop up(especially in the CIA/military sections), the end of the game hints at something really silly, and some of Cage's typical writing weaknesses show up rather frequently. Think it was a really great step forward though and it makes me very excited for Quantic Dream's next game.

Grief.exe

Need to get all of my gaming in this week, just had a job interview that went pretty well so it seems like I'm going to be working flowback for a year. Will be working onsite and living in campsites 21 days on, and then a week off on average and I doubt I'll come back home every time. Can't take my desktop obviously ;-;

Of course the benefit is you make around 120K which is more than anything else I'd be making without a degree(or anything because I am a nursing student)

Time to invest in a 3ds/vita/x86 tablet.

I wasted 80€ on that game, and for me is...no. I mean, tech side is impressive what they did with a PS3 hardware (but is also true that areas are very tiny and there's no action at all), but basically there's no plot. The plot is "the life of Jodie", and there are several little scenes that explain problems of being Jodie. Only duriing the end of the game developers tried to put some kind of deadline, but for me it failed miserably. I don't want to spoiler, but it's so out of place...yes, they introduced it in one chapter of the game, but I think is one of the lowest plot point of the game.
Also, every choice you do is useless. Is not like in Heavy Rain, here is all useless.

That's really not the case, as you mention the game is about Jodie and subsequently the choices relate to how she develops as a person, and her relationship to Aiden and the people around her. And the areas aren't small at all. One area is a relatively large open world, and others are bigger than anything in Heavy Rain. There are a stunning amount of effects in the game going at any one time and the framerate always holds up. Especially impressive when you move like a normal character compared to Heavy Rain and subsequently have more standard action scenes. Game is an incredible technical accomplishment and probably the best looking game I've ever played.

Time to invest in a 3ds/vita/x86 tablet.
Luckily I have both handhelds and a Surface Pro 2, just worry about them being stolen. Need to inquire more about storage and electricity usage obviously.

Dr Dogg

Right last call for Gravity Badgers and Rush Bros before I sling them on the ModBot dump pile.

Luckily I have both handhelds and a Surface Pro 2, just worry about them being stolen. Need to inquire more about storage and electricity usage obviously.

I've been toying with the idea of a Surface Pro 2 as the Wacom drivers for it now give full pressure sensitivity to the digitizer so it's a really cheap Cintiq (as in stupidly expensive graphics tablet with a display). From a few hardware sites I've looked at they're alrightish in gaming performance but I'd be moreover looking at one as a portable streamer. Then again Nvidia are pestering me about their tablet too!

Ok, let's go back in.topic. How long is X-Com Declassified? I thought I was near the end of the game, but then I checked a guid and it says there are four missions left...so around 4 hours of gameplay. Ouch.

Shouldn't be anywhere near that long, the end comes pretty quick

14/F/LA and looking to explore my budding sexuality.

hey

oh I failed to mention the other day that I bought the dark souls 2 dlc and man I'm rusty as hell.

I'm getting wrecked left and right.

same thing happened to me after I respecced from melee to magic at the start of NG+. I'm actually scared to pick up the season pass.

It's basically TLoU Review Thread 2013 2.0. Dat Polygon Review.

It's so stupid. I havn't read anything past the first page, but basically if a game doesn't get an 11/10 it's considered shit.

More leftovers

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds -- MB-9710720BD1DEFB24 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade -- MB-C771ED4091EE0236 - Taken by arts&crafts
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" -- MB-FEF00E20886BB45E - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon -- MB-FA45568C0F1FD652 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse -- MB-622E1636835D12D6 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-1A668CA391AD85CF - Taken by bluechox2

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I decided since I brought up the Graveyard, the least I could do was do a quick Steam review for it.

header.jpg

Yesterday I was taking a walk in the park, I sat down near a lake and pulled out a sandwich I had bought at a nearby deli. I was stricken by an overwhelming sense of serenity and appreciation. Over out at the lake there sat an island with a giant tree, who's branches had been made home to a number of birds nests. From the lake, I could catch sight of elderly men fishing, children playing with bread crumbs and ducks, a couple holding hands and taking a walk, a shirtless man on a jog, two women passing by on a bike. Every one of them wrapped up in their own world, but all the same, part of an ecological system that brought upon a feeling of peace, safety, and a certain pure beauty that made me aware of just how nice the cool breeze felt running across my skin from the hot summer heat, the underlying frailness of some waterside flowers that reflected beautifully on the lake's surface, and the pleasures of smell the fauna brought simply from its own life and death cycle.

None of that resonated in this lifeless game, the German was terrible and the song sucked.

10/10, would put my wrinkly old woman butt on a bench again.

You aren't the only one. I had my ass handed to me multiple times at like each boss/sub-boss.

Drakeblood knights drove me insane until I remembered I could stun-lock them with the Dragon Tooth. I two handed that big thing and blasted them. That and the ring that allows you to resist more fall damage and I "blazed it", MLG PRO style. This of course didn't prevent me to spend 3 to 4 hours trying to beat the optional Gank Squad (c) Boss.

Vuze

I've been meaning to have a look at this again. Is it now running on the Trine 2 engine? One used to be a real resource hog when Physx were enabled. What's the performance like (bar the crash at the end of course)?

Yes, and it's gorgeous! Some screens I took: http://minus.com/m5GlzSD9i69NT (still uploading)
There is no PhysX in the Enchanted Edition afaik. I never dipped below 60 at those settings on my 7870 GHz / 4570. Didn't try to shoot for 3xSSAA or higher tho but I really didn't feel the need to: http://puu.sh/auSKK/c03d116ff1.jpg

Autofokus

It's so stupid. I havn't read anything past the first page, but basically if a game doesn't get an 11/10 it's considered shit.

It's especially jarring when it happens with a known game, where you have thousands of user impressions at your disposal.
And I really liked TLoU, already bought the Remaster - but every game can't be for everyone. And thats fine.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I should play The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls.

The only game I've played on my ps3 recently is the Destiny beta.

Or I could just play more CS:go.

I'm 90% the people I talk too a lot on GAF are just trying to groom me. Doesn't help I've flown to two different countries to meet three different gaffers. One of these guys will eventually be a rapist right?

I'm 19.

The wife and I continued on with Gaucamelee yesterday. Strangely enough, the jumping bits of the game are a lot easier when it isn't 3 am and you're bleary eyed from sleep deprivation. The humor is still there and we're still having fun with it.

The only thing that I had heard going in was some complaints about memes. So I honestly didn't expect much here. But playing it I've actually found it to be quite well written, never really laugh out loud funny, but often rather clever. I like all the posters in the towns as well, lots of little cameos there.

Volimar

I'm 90% the people I talk too a lot on GAF are just trying to groom me. Doesn't help I've flown to two different countries to meet three different gaffers. One of these guys will eventually be a rapist right?

I'm 19.

What if you're the rapist?

There's no rapist

Let's stop talking about rapists

zkylon

zkylewd
As the game goes along Aiden can go, further and further out and its varied in what you can do. There are some clever puzzles and a decent amount of interactivity in terms of what you can react with if you experiment. It just seems like you're trying to find things to dislike. It's easily Quantic Dream's most reactive, gameplay focused game. Even the QTEs are rather limited with most action sequences given you full control where you can run, jump, and so on past obstacles.

i'm starting to think the game bugged out (yay) and set me on shitty ass "tell me a story!" mode cos run, jump? full control of anything? more than one blue object to interact with as drunk ghost?

specially since i just watched like 5 minutes of a let's play and it didn't have dem big ass arrows pointing out what to do, so maybe we getting to the root of the matter, in which case fuck this game for like saving the one variable that matters incorrectly

i really have trouble imagining how this game is gameplay focused tho. i mean, cos in that case then shitty mode literally removed all the gameplay, which is oh my gawd so fucking bad

and like i said, i like playing these games even if i'm gonna burn them to the ground. i usually focus on the negative cos the positives really don't lead to much discussion. i already said i liked some of the characters and i thought the game had interesting ideas and scenes. unfortunately imo it falls on its butt on those ideas and apparently could've used a bit more q&a. maybe with a puzzle here and there and a jump button it won't be such a fucking slog to go through but you know, it felt like usual heavy rain-fare to me so i didn't stop to second-guess it. imma try switching the difficulty and see what happens i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom