• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

What the hell? Console wars bullshit is just insane. How do these people get into that kinda mental space and then not realize how goddamn crazy they sound?

There was actually an interesting conversation about this on last week's Gamers With Jobs podcast. It was spurred by an email asking for tips on letting go of console wars/fanboy behavior.

The most agreed that the fierce nature of console wars seemed to stem from wanting assurance that one has made the right purchasing decision when picking a modern console to game on.

It was a great conversation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Love transcends time.

beforesunset2wu0q.jpg

An Abyss Odyssey art book??? That's something that I didn't know I wanted.

Oh how I wish Valve didn't cancel The Art of Portal 2.

You are joking right??

When people feel something they're fond of is being threatened, they say silly things.

I haven't played it myself, but sometimes the internet can be wrong. Then again you never know! That's why it's got the hot shit symbol!

Yeah, I was mostly joking. It still strikes me odd that they used the Ninja Gaiden license for it, though. I loved NG1&2, personally. I feel I am the kind of person that could judge this game by itself and not against NG, but I still haven't had anyone give me a compelling reason. I think I'll sit it out as I have other things to play at the moment :p

At any rate, thanks, Corrosive!

Dr Dogg

It's probably what it looks like. I almost suspect that whoever picked the picture did so just to see if he could get away with it. :p
The article itself is just your usual 'hey it's a game where you can build stuff'.

Hahaha trust me working in publishing for donkeys years you'll be amazed what stuff I've seen sneaked into publications. Sometimes oh so subtle others really blatant.

That kind of brand loyalty is starting to dip into fanaticism.

Reminds me of the Transistor review thread where I reminded people the game was available on PC and was subsequently called a 'Steam Shill.'

I'd wear that like a badge of honour!

There was actually an interesting conversation about this on last week's Gamers With Jobs podcast. It was spurred by an email asking for tips on letting go of console wars/fanboy behavior.

The most agreed that the fierce nature of console wars seemed to stem from wanting assurance that one has made the right purchasing decision when picking a modern console to game on.

It was a great conversation.
That's exactly what it is. Everyone does this about everything to their own degrees. But something about console wars (and politics...) just takes it to another level.

Caerith

Does anyone here know if there is a current method of idling multiple games at once for card drops? I have over 800 card drops remaining and I've slowly come to the realization that I'm buying games faster than I can idle them.

I'm thinking about idling about 200 games at once and just letting it run for a solid week.

If you want a fire & forget method, couldn't you just write a program to go down your list of games with outstanding drops, fire them up, ping your card page every 30 minutes to see if any drops remaining, and if none then exit the game and load the next? Then just leave that running for a week.

I know plenty of people in their late 20s who hold weird alliances to a particular console and could easily afford both(or 3) without thinking about it.

I find it hard to complain about console prices now that I own a graphics card that retails for 700 dollars
Although I only paid 560
Have never been a fan boy though, grew up with PCs and both Nintendo/Sony. When the Xbox came out we had family friends who had halo lan/connected system matches so I hold few attachments.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of 8 X 11 Printer Paper, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds -- MB-A084F7978FDFD04B
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade -- MB-567B6679303CB65C - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" -- MB-2284DA970E143306 - Taken by Maxwood. 3 entrants total.
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon -- MB-A7382CED732BE3E4 - Taken by zkylon. 3 entrants total.
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse -- MB-F527057108D76880 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-33F22FC0CAF5A0F6 - Taken by Newblade. 1 entrants total.

t1406583654z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ßthePenguin;123054355 said:
@JaseC great movie, still haven't seen Boyhood in theatre and time is running out =/

It doesn't release here until September, but knowing me I'll probably forget to go see the bloody thing, haha. If it happens to appear on Amazon's instant video service before then, I'll just jump through some hoops to rent it as I did with How I Live Now.

Turfster

If you want a fire & forget method, couldn't you just write a program to go down your list of games with outstanding drops, fire them up, ping your card page every 30 minutes to see if any drops remaining, and if none then exit the game and load the next? Then just leave that running for a week.

Scrape badges page for appids, then pick a lightweight game (Constant C, for example) to change the appid for and run it. Scrape page for that badge to see remaining drops every half hour, kill, scrap from list, replace appid, repeat ;)
That's basically what, an hour or two of coding time?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

LOL I'm actually in the process of writing just such an application

I've been waiting for ages for someone to program something like that. Even easier, make it similar to SAM, but let me enter a list of appIDs and idle times which the program then goes through consecutively. That would be incredibly handy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I played Putt-Putt Travels through Time as a kid, so I can write that review right now.
Fucking wow. I used to play this as a kid and never thought about any of this, but now I realize this game is the cause of my cynicism and pessimism. Thank you Putt-Putt, thank you very much.

Dr Dogg

Hey actually that's a really good idea because you can use steam://run/AppID to start a game. All you'd have to do is find a way to close the program which you can do via a command prompt Taskkill command. The tools are there just got to put everything together.

Kaleinc

Banned
As someone who faced tLoU evangelists before, I warn you friend, there is no good coming from that place. Only a place of ill intentions and hurt feelings, where a 9 or an 8 is not good enough.
Here's the paradox. If PS3 TLOU is 10/10 then PS4 TLOU is ?/10 pfff-boom brain explosion.

Grief.exe

What the hell? Console wars bullshit is just insane. How do these people get into that kinda mental space and then not realize how goddamn crazy they sound?

Ugh. Reminds me why I don't bother posting in most other threads.

You are joking right??

I'd wear that like a badge of honour!

The PS4 version was being pushed so hard in that thread people were literally under the impression that it was an exclusive.

People would be asking constantly if it was only available on PS4, one person actually said they didn't want to spend $400+ just to play the game. I was just trying to let people know that it was also available on PC.

You guys also know I'm a huge proponent of audio quality. They kept bringing up how the narrator's voice through the speaker in the controller was 'next-gen' and 'awe inspiring design.' I probably shouldn't have argued that point, I just found it extremely hard to believe that was a compelling reason to push the PS4 version.

Double

LOL I'm actually in the process of writing just such an application
Yes please!

It doesn't release here until September, but knowing me I'll probably forget to go see the bloody thing, haha. If it happens to appear on Amazon's instant video service before then, I'll just jump through some hoops to rent it as I did with How I Live Now.
I'm gonna try to remind you ^_^

I myself still have 2 days chance at least :> cinema really is so slippery though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
My childhood in giveaway form.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds -- MB-2AF2C8BA974EAED9 - Taken by diablogod
Spy Fox in Dry Cereal -- MB-48EBCCEEC9973929 - Taken by diablogod
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon -- MB-6A236EA402151181 - Taken by Zeeman. 1 entrants total.
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade -- MB-980D7916D1B36577 - Taken by diablogod
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse -- MB-C6C5271500BCA41C - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total.
Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside -- MB-90F178323B78F315

t1406581434z1.png

rtcn63

We should organize our own indignation boycotts.

What??? Rust only got a 8.2 instead of a 8.3? burn the reviewer!!!

Eh, I don't really see PC-GAF to be all that much different. Hyperbole, blind condemnation, etc. of this and that and all this and all that. We may not care as much about numbers, but things do get heated and often straight up cray yo.

The PS4 version was being pushed so hard in that thread people were literally under the impression that it was an exclusive.

People would be asking constantly if it was only available on PS4, one person actually said they didn't want to spend $400+ just to play the game. I was just trying to let people know that it was also available on PC.

You guys also know I'm a huge proponent of audio quality. They kept bringing up how the narrator's voice through the speaker in the controller was 'next-gen' and 'awe inspiring design.' I probably shouldn't have argued that point, I just found it extremely hard to believe that was a compelling reason to push the PS4 version.

To be honest, I'm kind of interested in the controller-output narration.

Granted, I would never call it next-gen or awe-inspiring design, or spend more in order to get a version that has that feature, as it is obviously a gimmick, but sometimes gimmicks like that are fun.

On the other hand, maybe it'd just get annoying when I try to stay up late and play with headphones though.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh shit! I WON!

Frosty! You're the best, makes the pain of losing all those DR3 giveaways worth it. My hero!

Heh cool that you actually won a character action game and you got a character action game avatar! (wait your avatar is from Metal Gear Rising right?) Congrats dude!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the paradox. If PS3 TLOU is 10/10 then PS4 TLOU is ?/10 pfff-boom brain explosion.
There's no paradox there. This statement doesn't contradict itself, because a score of 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect. It means the game is so good that its flaws are basically meaningless compared to the things it does well.

lol, did none of these guys play No More Heroes on Wii? I admit that it sounded like shit, but that doesn't change the fact that it was done over 6 years ago.

Dr Dogg

Sooooo next gen it ripsoff the Wii hahahaha. Actually No More Heroes really made great use of the Wii Remote speaker.

After reading the impressions from you folks about Transistor it sounds like a game everyone should be encouraging others to play it on what ever platform they have available to them (well if the game is to their tastes of course). Sounds like it's a great experience from start to finish and has a ton of replayability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom